PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder TWF Ranger

WalkingWall
2010-07-27, 02:15 AM
Jw i am rather new to playing ranger and i have heard nothing but bad things about there dmg output compared to anything else. However i am nothing if not willing to play abit of a gimped build if it means making a dwarf version of Belkar Bitterleaf. Know we start at level 2 and so far the stats i came up with are 18str, 14dex, 14con, 10int, 14wis, 6cha. This was done with a 32 point buy were all stats start at 8. Also so far the best feats i could think of were Dodge, TWF, and Cambat reflexes. I was also planning on taking the boar as my animal companion at 4th level. The weapons of the TWF would be Dwarven Waraxe And Handaxe. Any info and tips on how to inprove this build or other feats to take as i level would be much appriciated. Also only using core pathfinder book. :smallsmile:

Zieu
2010-07-27, 11:29 AM
Well for starters, you need a Dex of 15 to do TWF. So that's something you might want to deal with before proceeding.

Freylorn
2010-07-27, 11:30 AM
Well for starters, you need a Dex of 15 to do TWF. So that's something you might want to deal with before proceeding.

True in 3.5, but from what I've read, not in Pathfinder. You don't need to meet the prerequisites for bonus feats unless it is specified, so he could get the TWF line that way.

EDIT: And here's the line right here.

The ranger's expertise manifests in the form of bonus feats at 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level. He can choose feats from his selected combat style, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites.

Nuke
2010-07-27, 11:53 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2/treantmonk-s-guide-to-rangers

Personally I like the idea that Treatmonk has for a switch hitting ranger, but I'm sure this should be of help.

Eldariel
2010-07-27, 03:31 PM
True in 3.5, but from what I've read, not in Pathfinder. You don't need to meet the prerequisites for bonus feats unless it is specified, so he could get the TWF line that way.

EDIT: And here's the line right here.

You don't need it in 3.5 either. Rangers get the feats as long as they have a light armor, regardless of prerequisites. Of course, light armor means you generally want some Dex anyways.

Rhavin
2010-07-27, 03:36 PM
Unfortunately, TWF is rather inferior to some dude with a greatsword in general, but if you get the Complete Adventurer (3.5) there are a couple of feats you could take as well as a prestige class that can actually make the TWF style work out fairly well by reducing the to hit penalties and even allowing you to attack with both weapons as a standard action. (I want to say the prestige class is the Tempest, but not sure)

Aside from that, Double Slice is a feat you'll want early since you're packing a +4 str modifier.

Starbuck_II
2010-07-27, 04:09 PM
Jw i am rather new to playing ranger and i have heard nothing but bad things about there dmg output compared to anything else. However i am nothing if not willing to play abit of a gimped build if it means making a dwarf version of Belkar Bitterleaf. Know we start at level 2 and so far the stats i came up with are 18str, 14dex, 14con, 10int, 14wis, 6cha. This was done with a 32 point buy were all stats start at 8. Also so far the best feats i could think of were Dodge, TWF, and Cambat reflexes. I was also planning on taking the boar as my animal companion at 4th level. The weapons of the TWF would be Dwarven Waraxe And Handaxe. Any info and tips on how to inprove this build or other feats to take as i level would be much appriciated. Also only using core pathfinder book. :smallsmile:

I suggest a Greatsword and armored spikes or Dwarven Waraxe (used 2 handed) + armored spikes.

I suggest for feats: TWFing.
Ranger grants double slice for free.

How are you getting 3 feats listed?

But you'll need to lower Wisdom by 2 points to increase Dex to 15 (Belkar never had Wisdom anyway).

Freylorn
2010-07-27, 04:32 PM
You don't need it in 3.5 either. Rangers get the feats as long as they have a light armor, regardless of prerequisites. Of course, light armor means you generally want some Dex anyways.

You are, of course, completely correct.

It's, uh... been awhile since I've played 3.5 :smallfrown: