PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Edition Magic Items - Prices?

Diarmuid
2010-07-27, 10:15 AM
I know 2E is a dinosaur around here, but I figure there have to be a few holdouts lying around somewhere.

My group plays a Skills & Powers game with a lot of houserules to make 2nd Edition a little smoother around the edges.

Now while I dont love the magic item system in 3.5, it certainly added a lot more structure that almost completely missing in 2e.

Does anyone know of any resources with suggested prices for magic items in 2nd Edition?

Flawless
2010-07-27, 10:19 AM
In 2nd Edition magic items are usually not for sale. In the description for magic items it is even stated, that asking someone to sell a magic item is outragous. So there are no listed prices.

Matthew
2010-07-27, 10:23 AM
You need to get a copy of the first edition DMG, all the magic items have sale price there, and are identical (more or less) with the second edition lists.

Diarmuid
2010-07-27, 10:24 AM
I'm well aware that the DMG and other basic books have no prices. I was curious if someone might know of an expansion book, or even a 3rd party resource with suggested prices might be available.

I mean, is it really that unthinkable for an adventuring party to want to buy a few potions of healing or a couple of scrolls before heading out for a big new adventure?

LibraryOgre
2010-07-27, 10:31 AM
Generally, set them as you like. The Encyclopedia Magica was a 4-volume compilation that had such things as prices, and wouldn't be a bad resource... but it's 4 volumes and not easy to find.

Personally, I like 3.x's increase in the availability of scrolls and potions. I'd probably use their price schemes for scrolls and potions... a potion of CLW is going to be 50gp. That's well outside the price range of the average person (my rule of thumb puts it at about 1000USD; not impossible, but not an everyday purchase), but within the kind of cash adventurers can sling around.

CyMage
2010-07-27, 10:38 AM
I think the price is either 2 times or 4 times the XP value of the item. It was mentioned in the 1st ed DMG I believe.

Matthew
2010-07-27, 10:45 AM
I'm well aware that the DMG and other basic books have no prices. I was curious if someone might know of an expansion book, or even a 3rd party resource with suggested prices might be available.

I mean, is it really that unthinkable for an adventuring party to want to buy a few potions of healing or a couple of scrolls before heading out for a big new adventure?

I think you may have misread me; the first edition DMG has a complete list of prices; I believe that you can use OSRIC (http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/) if you do not have a copy.

Diarmuid
2010-07-27, 10:57 AM
Osric doesnt have prices, but thanks. Looks like encycloedia magicka is the way to go. Now to find all 4 volumes in pdf format soemwhere....

hamlet
2010-07-27, 11:32 AM
Osric doesnt have prices, but thanks. Looks like encycloedia magicka is the way to go. Now to find all 4 volumes in pdf format soemwhere....

There's a 2 volume Magic Encyclopedia from the 2e days that included prices, but no descriptions.

Shorthand is to multiply XP values of items by 2 for easy availability or up to 4-5 for lower availability.

Zombimode
2010-07-27, 11:34 AM

Maybe, maybe not. This is the point. The availability of magic and magic items is thought to be setting dependend. Listing hard prices wouldnt make any sense.

Thane of Fife
2010-07-27, 11:51 AM
Looking through my copy of the Encyclopedia Magica, most items have gold values around 5x their experience value. Highly limited-use items like potions tend to have lower costs (around 2x), and wands and similar tend to have higher costs (around 8x). Some items go all the way up past 10x.

In general, things which allow for frequent use of spells tend to be among the most expensive.

Diarmuid
2010-07-27, 01:55 PM
Encyclopedia Magica and "The Magic Encyclopedia" both list prices. The second one is simply a list of items and prices, while the first has in-depth descriptions of the items in question.

While item availability can certainly be influenced by a setting, having a starting point to work from as a guide as opposed to "hard numbers" is better than simply making things up off the cuff.

ericgrau
2010-07-27, 02:50 PM
"Boy, you want prices on magical items?!!? Sir, you shall have magic items if and when I feel like it, and only if you defeat some fantastic foe."
/curmudgeon

hamlet
2010-07-28, 08:38 AM
"Boy, you want prices on magical items?!!? Sir, you shall have magic items if and when I feel like it, and only if you defeat some fantastic foe."
/curmudgeon

Darn tootin!

And you'll be happy with a Wand of Wonder if that's what I feel like giving you!