PDA

View Full Version : Cat-o-mancer PEACH

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-27, 10:52 AM
So my friends and I have decided to make a game of DDnD or "Dysfunctional Dungeons and Dragons". The idea here is that we are a band of extremely unlikely characters (i.e. Halfling Barbarians, Orc Ninjas etc etc.) who attempt to survive with what little we have to work with.

One of our players wanted to have a caster type class who's main feature is to summon undead cats. A Cat-o-mancer, if you will.

Given that this class is incredibly silly, I figured someone out there would be generous enough to offer their aid. Remember, you don't have to make it powerful, it's alright to have a class that is slightly underpowered, rather than a class that is terribly overpowered.

So, any suggestions/ideas/comments?

Cat-O-Mancer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Rebuke Undead, Lesser Cat Summoning I

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Detect Magic

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Damage Reduction 1/Cold Iron, Lesser Cat Summoning II

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Toughness, Cat-like Reflexes

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Lesser Cat Summoning III, Animate Cats, Extended Cats I

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Scaredy Cats

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Damage Reduction 2/Cold Iron, Cat Summoning I

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|Endurance

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6| Cat Summoning II

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7|Augment Summoning I

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Damage Reduction 3/Cold Iron, Cat Summoning III, Extended Cats II

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Ghast Cats

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Diehard

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|Dire Cat Summoning I

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|Damage Reduction 4/Cold Iron

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Noxious Cats

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Dire Cat Summoning II

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Augment Summoning II

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Dire Cat Summoning III, Extended Cats III[/table]

GAME RULE INFORMATION

Hit Die: d6

Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Tumble (Dex)

Skills at first level: (2+Intelligence Modifier) X 4

Skills at each additional level: 2+ Intelligence Modifier

Armor/Weapon Proficiencies: A Cat-O-Mancer is proficient with simple and martial weapons, and may only wear up to light armor. They are also proficient with shields (except Tower Shields).

Summon Lesser Cats- This Spell-like Ability allows the caster to summon 1d6 zombie or skeletal cats, (See Monster Manual I, Zombie Template and Skeletal Template for details on how to make a Skeletal or Zombie Cat) the type of cat (Zombie or Skeletal) is chosen by the caster but only one type may be chosen in any given casting, the cats stay summoned until the caster breaks his concentration or all the cats are destroyed, at which time, the cats are hurled into oblivion, their bodies vanishing from the material plane.

The caster can at any time break his concentration on the spell, however, in doing so, all cats summoned in this manner are sent back into oblivion after 1+1/2 the Cat-O-Mancer's level rounds.

Upon reaching 3rd Level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to summon an additional 1d6 cats, this ability applies to each of his Cat Summoning Spell-Like Abilities, to a maximum of 3d6 cats summoned at level 5.

Upon reaching 7th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to entice Leopards, or Cheetahs (See Monster Manual I) to come to his aid, while still retaining the ability to summon lesser Cats (Maximum of 3d6). However, at 7th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer's maximum number of larger cats is set back to 1d6.

Once a Cat-O-Mancer reaches 14th Level, he is able to summon Dire Lions, Leopards, or Cheetahs. (See Monster Manual I Adding a Template for more details) However, the maximum number of Giant Cats he can summon is lowered to 1d3 + Charisma Modifier. This increases to 2d3+ Charisma Modifier and 3d3+ Charisma Modifier at 17th and 20th level respectively.

Detect Magic- The Cat-O-Mancer becomes intimately familiar with magical auras and abilities through his practice in summoning felines. As a result, at 2nd level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to cast Detect Magic at will, and it functions as the spell (See Player's Handbook, Spell Descriptions)

Feline Traits- At Second level, the Cat-O-Mancer begins to physically change as his knowledge and connection to felines grow. This change causes the Cat-O-Mancer's fingers to end in long claws, these claws count as Natural Weapons and deal 1d6 damage. If the Cat-O-Mancer's race already has claws, the damage die increases by one magnitude (ex: 1d6 becomes 1d8).

Additionally, the Cat-O-Mancer's hearing and sight improve, granting a +4 bonus in both Listen and Spot Checks and Low Light Vision.

Toughness- As Toughness feat (See Player's Handbook, Feat Descriptions)

Cat-like Reflexes- At 4th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer becomes more attuned to his feline minions, and is thus able to move faster and more deftly. This ability has two benefits: First, the Cat-O-Mancer gains a Deflection Bonus to his Armor Class equal to his Dexterity Bonus. Secondly, the Cat-O-Mancer receives a bonus +2 towards Tumble Checks to avoid Attacks of Opportunity.

Scaredy Cats- The Cat-O-Mancer's understanding of fear serves him well. At 6th level, when casting a Cat Summoning Spell, all bystanders within 10 feet of each cat briefly see their greatest fear (Illusion), and therefore must make a Will Save to disbelieve the illusion (DC 15 + Wisdom Modifier) or be stricken with fear, taking away any dexterity bonuses they may gain, and dazing them for one round. This is a Mind Affecting Spell-Like Ability, it has the Fear Descriptor.

Endurance- As Endurance feat (See Player's Handbook, Feat Descriptions)

Animate Cats- This spell functions as the Animate Dead Spell (See Player's Handbook, Spell Descriptions) with one key difference: Only Feline corpses may be reanimated.

Augment Summoning- Once 10th level, the Cat-O-Mancer's call across the planes is strong enough to bring forth more powerful cats. This ability functions as the Augment Summoning (See Player's Handbook Feat Descriptions), this bonus doubles at 18th level.

Ghast Cats- At 12th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer's minions become attuned to his negative energy, allowing them to bestow 1 Negative Level on a successful hit to an opponent who fails a Fortitude Save (DC 18+ Wisdom Modifier)

Diehard As the Diehard feat (See Player's Handbook, Feat Descriptions)

Noxious Cats- At 16th level, the Cat-O-Mancer's summoned minions are capable of carrying a special disease. Upon a successful hit, and a failed Fortitude Save (DC 18+ Wisdom Modifier), the target becomes subject to Warp Touch (See The Book of Vile Darkness, Page 31 Table 2-5 for effects). Provided all conditions are met, the target subjected to the disease is affected by one of the listed Side-Effects (Determined by a d100 roll).
This effect is immediate, and lasts up to 1d3 days + The Cat-O-Mancer's Charisma Modifier. However, spells such as Remove Curse, Limited Wish, and Wish are able to cure the effects permanently.

Extended Cats- At this point, the Cat-O-Mancer has attained enough knowledge of dead felines to control them with hardly a thought. The duration time of all Cat Summoning Spells is changed from "Concentration" to "24 Hours". The Cat-O-Mancer can still only control one group of cats at any given time, however, the caster is now allowed to move freely about, while still controlling his feline minions.

At Level 5, the Cat-O-Mancer no longer needs to concentrate on up to Lesser Cat Summoning III. At Level 11, the Cat-O-Mancer no longer needs to concentrate on up to Cat Summoning III. Finally, at level 20, the Cat-O-Mancer no longer needs to concentrate whatsoever to maintain his minions.

DracoDei
2010-07-27, 11:26 AM
Sounds like Bhu is your man... there MIGHT even be something serviceable already in his "Cat Fans Unite and PEACH!" thread... and yes, I know it is a very long thread.

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-27, 11:46 AM
I took a few moments to look through the thread. It has interesting ideas, sure, but most of them involve physically being a cat. My friend is looking for a class that involves summoning cats in hordes to use as cannon fodder against his enemies.

He isn't quite the "Cat Fan". :smallwink:

You seem to have a lot of experience in creating homebrew (I noted that more than a few posts were made on that thread by you).

Don't suppose you would be willing to lend your experience and wisdom?

DracoDei
2010-07-27, 12:00 PM
I realize that at least 98% of that thread is going to be totally useless... my only question was if there was an ~2% that wasn't or if it was 0%. Don't know how good Bhu is about keeping his indexes up to date. You could always just PM him and ask for a pointer or make a specific request to him for homebrew.

The simplest solution would be to simply redo the Summon Monster line... perhaps a skeletal cat or 1d3 skeletal cats for the first level spell option, and then scaling from their (lions, tigers, dire tigers)... 9th level might be a Hellcat Mummy or something like that. Yes, I know Outsiders usually can't be undead, but you can ignore that in this case...

Do you have access to the Warlock class? I don't, but if you do, you could always try replacing the eldritch blast with cat summoning, and making the number of skeletal cats you can have summoned at any one time equal to the EB dice... probably more at higher levels with a Swarm option available to replace a certain number of individual cats. Full round action to summon more cats, probably a move action to command them. Make the flight spell a giant angelic/demonic intangible/untouchable cat picking the summoner up by his collar like a kitten and flying around with him?

I don't really do much base class making. The only one I ever did was meant for NPCs and thus the only balance limitation was "less powerful than a PC class" which is a very wide target to hit. You might try the compendium (link in the sticky post by Roland St Jude at the top of the Homebrew forum)... look at the base-class section, and see who makes lots of base classes.

Also, if there isn't a pre-existing "swarm-ify" template, I recommend the mob template in the links at the very end of my extended signature.

EDIT: You will probably want to read THIS (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#swarmSubtype) for what it is worth.

cooperflood
2010-07-27, 12:32 PM
Here is a very quick sketch of a Ca-O-Mancer

Cleric Skills, Hit Die, Saves, and BAB

Summon Swarm:
At-will ability
Duration Concentration
Full Round to Cast
All Swarm saves are 10+1/2 class Level+CHA
Damage increased by 1d6 at every odd level
7th level: Remove No control feature
15th level: Expand Size to 20ft square

At every even level gain a different cat esque ability
2: Skeleton Cat Familiar (or Animal Companion)
4: Cat Like (Low-Light Vision, Scent, Bonus on Hide, Move Silently, Climb, and Jump)
6: Speed +10ft
8: Animate Dead (At-Will) (Cats Only)
10: Summon 5 Skeleton Tigers 1/day (Duration 10 minutes)
12: Rebuke Undead (As Cleric)(Gain +4 Bonus when used on undead cats)
14:Create Undead (At-Will)(Cats Only)
16: Summon 5 Skeleton Dire Tigers 1/day (Duration 10 minutes)
18:
20:

Owrtho
2010-07-27, 03:44 PM
In the Cat Fans Unite thread, I'd suggest looking at the Cat Fu Fighter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5499618&postcount=451) and the Crazy Cat Lady (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5454416&postcount=432), both of which have summoning cats as a key feature (though the former likes to use them as weapons while the latter is more magical oriented).

Also, if you want to make your own class, I might suggest looking at the kitsune-tsukai from Japanese folklore for some inspiration on ideas. They were a type of magic user that made use of kuda-gitsune (a type of fox spirit that could be kept in a tube) for familiars and their magic. You could reflavour its abilities to be with cats.

Owrtho

BladeofOblivion
2010-07-27, 05:34 PM
I don't really do much base class making.

If I counted correctly, you have a total class pH of just under 5. You titrated your NPC class and then some. Yes, I speak of THOSE.

On the actual topic, I get the feeling that someone was bored here.

Bhu
2010-07-27, 06:08 PM
Oooh a new kitteh thread :smallbiggrin:

So you wanna be able to summon undead cats. Are you thinking PrC perhaps, or full blown core class?

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-27, 06:59 PM
Full blown core class.

I kinda made one, but it is sorely lacking balancing at the moment.

Lv. BAB FORT REF WILL SPECIAL
1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Rebuke Undead , Cat Summoning 1
2 +1 +3 +0 +3 Detect Magic
3 +2 +3 +1 +3 Damage Reduction 1/Cold Iron, Cat Summoning 2
4 +3 +4 +1 +4 Toughness
5 +3 +4 +1 +4 Cat Summoning 3, Animate Cats
6 +4 +5 +2 +5 Scaredy Cats
7 +5 +5 +2 +5 Damage Reduction 2/Cold Iron, Large Cat Summoning 1
8 +6/+1 +6 +2 +6 Endurance
9 +6/+1 +6 +3 +6 Large Cat Summoning 2
10 +7/+2 +7 +3 +7 Augment Summoning I
11 +8/+3 +7 +3 +7 Damage Reduction 3/Cold Iron, Large Cat Summoning 3
12 +9/+4 +8 +4 +8 Noxious Cats
13 +9/+4 +8 +4 +8 Diehard
14 +10/+5 +9 +4 +9 Summon Giant Cats 1
15 +11/+6/+1 +9 +5 +9 Damage Reduction 4/Cold Iron
16 +12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 Ghast Cats
17 +12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 Summon Giant Cats 2
18 +13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +11 Augment Summoning II
19 +14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +11 Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron
20 +15/+10/+ +12 +6 +12 Summon Giant Cats 3, Extended Cats

The Summon Cat's Spell allows the caster to summon 1d6 zombie or skeletal cats (caster's choosing), all of which require the full concentration of the caster to maintain.

The number of cats increase by 1d6 for each version of the spell.

Summon Large Cats allows Leopards to be summoned instead of regular cats.

Summon Giant Cats allows even greater minions, of which I have yet to decide.

Scaredy Cats- When casting a summoning cats spell, all bystanders within 10 feet of the initial position of the summoned cats, must make a Will save (DC to be determined) or become frightened.

Ghast Cats- Allows the caster's cats to deal 1 negative level upon a successful attack, provided a fortitude save is failed (DC to be determined)

That is a ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH outline.

Thoughts?

DracoDei
2010-07-27, 07:16 PM
Go to the sticky post at the very top of the homebrew forum. Look through the linked posts until you find the one with the templates on how to make homebrews. Use the templates to make your table.

That is my suggestion.

Bhu
2010-07-27, 08:04 PM
No objections yet, Im waiting till it gets fleshed out a lil more

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-28, 11:21 AM
Well, at this point, I am looking for suggestions on how to improve upon this, either through editing, adding, etc etc.

Do you guys want me to post up the class again, this time with the nice table?

Owrtho
2010-07-28, 12:14 PM
Most likely you should just edit the older one to have a nice table.

Owrtho

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-28, 01:55 PM
Cat-O-Mancer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Rebuke Undead, Lesser Cat Summoning I

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Detect Magic

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Damage Reduction 1/Cold Iron, Lesser Cat Summoning II

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Toughness

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Lesser Cat Summoning III, Animate Cats

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Scaredy Cats

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Damage Reduction 2/Cold Iron, Cat Summoning I

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|Endurance

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6| Cat Summoning II

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7|Augment Summoning I

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Damage Reduction 3/Cold Iron, Cat Summoning III

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Ghast Cats

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Diehard

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|Dire Cat Summoning I

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|Damage Reduction 4/Cold Iron

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Noxious Cats

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Dire Cat Summoning II

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Augment Summoning II

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Dire Cat Summoning III, Extended Cats[/table]

GAME RULE INFORMATION

Hit Die: d6

Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Sense Motive (Wis)

Skills at first level: (2+Intelligence Modifier) X 4

Skills at each additional level: 2+ Intelligence Modifier

Armor/Weapon Proficiencies: A Cat-O-Mancer is proficient with simple and martial weapons, and may only wear up to light armor. They are also proficient with shields (except Tower Shields).

Summon Lesser Cats- This Spell-like Ability allows the caster to summon 1d6 zombie or skeletal cats, (See Monster Manual I, Zombie Template and Skeletal Template for details on how to make a Skeletal or Zombie Cat) the type of cat (Zombie or Skeletal) is chosen by the caster but only one type may be chosen in any given casting, the cats stay summoned until the caster breaks his concentration or all the cats are destroyed, at which time, the cats are hurled into oblivion, their bodies vanishing from the material plane.

The caster can at any time break his concentration on the spell, however, in doing so, all cats summoned in this manner are sent back into oblivion after 1+1/2 the Cat-O-Mancer's level rounds.

Upon reaching 3rd Level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to summon an additional 1d6 cats, this ability applies to each of his Cat Summoning Spell-Like Abilities, to a maximum of 3d6 cats summoned at level 5.

Upon Reaching 7th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to entice Leopards, or Cheetahs (See Monster Manual I) to come to his aid, while still retaining the ability to summon lesser Cats (Maximum of 3d6). However, at 7th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer's maximum number of larger cats is set back to 1d6.

Once a Cat-O-Mancer reaches 14th Level, he is able to summon Dire Lions, Leopards, or Cheetahs. (See Monster Manual I Adding a Template for more details) However, the maximum number of Giant Cats he can summon is lowered to 1d3 + Charisma Modifier. This increases to 2d3+ Charisma Modifier and 3d3+ Charisma Modifier at 17th and 20th level respectively.

Detect Magic- The Cat-O-Mancer becomes intimately familiar with magical auras and abilities through his practice in summoning felines. As a result, at 2nd level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to cast Detect Magic at will, and it functions as the spell (See Player's Handbook, Spell Descriptions)

Scaredy Cats- The Cat-O-Mancer's understanding of fear serves him well. At 6th level, when casting a Cat Summoning Spell, all bystanders within 10 feet of each cat briefly see their greatest fear (Illusion), and therefore must make a Will Save to disbelieve the illusion (DC 15 + Wisdom Modifier) or be stricken with fear, taking away any dexterity bonuses they may gain, and dazing them for one round. This is a Mind Affecting Spell-Like Ability, it has the Fear Descriptor.

Animate Cats- This spell functions as the Animate Dead Spell (See Player's Handbook, Spell Descriptions) with one key difference: Only Feline corpses may be reanimated.

Augment Summoning- Once 10th level, the Cat-O-Mancer's call across the planes is strong enough to bring forth more powerful cats. This ability functions as the Augment Summoning (See Player's Handbook Feat Descriptions), this bonus doubles at 18th level.

Ghast Cats- At 12th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer's minions become attuned to his negative energy, allowing them to bestow 1 Negative Level on a successful hit to an opponent who fails a Fortitude Save (DC 18+ Wisdom Modifier)

Noxious Cats- At 16th level, the Cat-O-Mancer's summoned minions are capable of carrying a special disease. Upon a successful hit, and a failed Fortitude Save (DC 18+ Wisdom Modifier), the target becomes subject to Warp Touch (See The Book of Vile Darkness, Page 31 Table 2-5 for effects). Provided all conditions are met, the target subjected to the disease is affected by one of the listed Side-Effects (Determined by a d100 roll).
This effect is immediate, and lasts up to 1d3 days + The Cat-O-Mancer's Charisma Modifier. However, spells such as Remove Curse, Limited Wish, and Wish are able to cure the effects permanently.

Extended Cats- At this point, the Cat-O-Mancer has attained enough knowledge of dead felines to control them with hardly a thought. The duration time of all Cat Summoning Spells is changed from "Concentration" to "24 Hours". The Cat-O-Mancer can still only control one group of cats at any given time, however, the caster is now allowed to move freely about, while still controlling his feline minions.

Okay, so how does that look? Any comments, questions, suggestions?

Owrtho
2010-07-28, 02:10 PM
Not sure on balance, though I'm curious about the undead theme.

Owrtho

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-28, 03:10 PM
Well, if ye got questions, ask away. I'll do my best to answer.

As for balance, I am also relatively sure that it is slightly OP.

Might take out the Toughness, Endurance, and Diehard Feats.

But does it all at least make sense? Any confusion on what some of the abilities do? Bad wording? Fuzzy details?

DracoDei
2010-07-28, 03:35 PM
However, at 7th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer's maximum number of larger cats is set back to 1d6.

However, the maximum number of Giant Cats he can summon is lowered to 1d3 + Charisma Modifier.
These are, in essence, new abilities that don't effect the old one, and as such, nothing is being lowered, simply set to an initial value.

I would replace the Roman numerals with the value (in parentheses) of cats that may be summoned for that grade of summoning.

You need to specify the caster level for everything (a single blanket statement that caster level is equal to class level should suffice).

This effect is immediate, and can only be cured by; a Remove Curse spell, Limited Wish, Wish, or the passage of 1d3 + The Cat-O-Mancer's Charisma Modifier days.

I recommend the above edit for clarity.

Owrtho
2010-07-28, 03:42 PM
Any particular reason why they make undead cats rather than living ones?

Also, the 'Extended Cats' makes me think of long cat.

Edit: Never mind, I'd missed in the first post that undead cats were specified.

Owrtho

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-28, 03:43 PM
FROM

This effect is immediate, and can only be cured by; a Remove Curse spell, Limited Wish, Wish, or the passage of 1d3 + The Cat-O-Mancer's Charisma Modifier days.

TO

Sound better?

Anything that sounds too over powered, or needless?

Bhu
2010-07-28, 10:27 PM
Scaredy Cats: "Paralyzed with Fear" may lead some to believe this also paralyzes you for 1 round so you may wish to reword it. Is this a Mind-Affecting Effect? If so it needs to be labeled as such (it also needs to say it has the Fear descriptor).

It needs skills/proficiencies/HD up. Once those are up balance will be easier ot judge.

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-28, 11:27 PM
Ta da!

Anything else that has issues in wording, or lack of clarity?

If not, then on to the balancing issues.

Bhu
2010-07-29, 05:41 PM
Weapon and armor proficiencies?

Also skills per level are always in multiples of 2.

Lix Lorn
2010-07-29, 06:18 PM
...this is highly, highly fun. You are an awesome person. (And a firefly fan! Hooray!)

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-30, 03:31 AM
Hmm yeah. Kinda overlooked weapon and armor proficiencies.

I either want to give the class proficiency with only light armor, or give no proficiency whatsoever. If the player wants to spend proficiency feats to use armor, that is fine, but I just dunno how much that would change the current precarious balance.

Lix,

I am glad you enjoy my rather... unique view on dungeons and dragons (see my "Dysfunctional Dungeons and Dragons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9031227#post9031227)" thread if you want to see my latest challenge. I always play by the creed "It isn't what you are doing, but how you are doing it."

Firefly is amazing! Glad to see a fellow browncoat out here.

Lix Lorn
2010-07-30, 08:49 AM
You need proficiency with the Cat o nine tails.

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-30, 12:19 PM
It needs skills/proficiencies/HD up. Once those are up balance will be easier ot judge.

Okay, so I took care of the Skills/Proficiencies. What do you mean by HD though? I know it means Hit Dice, which I already specified was a d6 per level.

Can you explain a teeny bit? Slightly confused, and I feel like I am missing something now.

Bhu
2010-07-30, 12:49 PM
Yeah I meant HD. Sorry ti was late and i was tired :smallwink:

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-30, 01:27 PM
Alright, perfect!

Now, is there any balance issues that anyone can spot? PEACH!

Do keep in mind that I really do not expect this to be perfect, since it is my first time ever homebrewing.

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-31, 11:50 AM
Alright, I posted the Cat-O-Mancer towards the top of the thread, because I thought people would be more likely to comment and give suggestions if they didn't have to scroll down the entire page.

I think it is finished, I could specify some more of the abilities it gets, like Toughness, Diehard, etc etc. But most homebrewers or people that play 3.5 are familiar with those feats.

I truly do hope that I get some more feedback outta this.

Bhu
2010-07-31, 03:01 PM
You might wanna give it a lil something extra. As it is you have no real defense other than DR, and no real offense besides the kittehs. Also with the SUmmon ability requiring COncentration, he'll be a tad vulnerable.

TelemontTanthul
2010-07-31, 04:47 PM
Okay, so I updated the Class a bit.

I added a single ability (Cat-like Reflexes: given Level 4), that adds some defensive capabilities and also gives the Cat-O-Mancer a natural weapon attack.

Too much? Too little? I need more input before proceeding. :smallbiggrin:

Bhu
2010-08-01, 01:54 AM
Dropping the Concentration requirement should come earlier than 20th level. You dont have to make the duration 24 hours then, but if he has to Concentrate all teh way till 20th level he's in trubba.

TelemontTanthul
2010-08-01, 02:45 AM
Alright then, I have an idea that I want to run past you.

Perhaps the Extended Cats Ability should mirror the Summon Cats abilities. Each time the Cat-O-Mancer reaches the top of a tier (i.e 3d6 Lesser Cats), he can then cast the cats without needing the concentration.

Does that make any sense? Because if not, I will try to reword it.

And if it makes sense, do you think it necessary, or reasonable?

Lix Lorn
2010-08-01, 02:32 PM
I think Toughness, Diehard and possibly Endurance are meant to be TERRIBLE feats. XD

Bhu
2010-08-01, 02:46 PM
Alright then, I have an idea that I want to run past you.

Perhaps the Extended Cats Ability should mirror the Summon Cats abilities. Each time the Cat-O-Mancer reaches the top of a tier (i.e 3d6 Lesser Cats), he can then cast the cats without needing the concentration.

Does that make any sense? Because if not, I will try to reword it.

And if it makes sense, do you think it necessary, or reasonable?

It's definitely better than it is now. This classes entire offense is currently based around Concentration Checks. If you can optimize those Checks great, but if you cant or don't want to he wont be terribly effective. Of course once those Checks arent necessary the ranks etc you placed in Concentrate wont be as useful.

TelemontTanthul
2010-08-02, 06:43 PM
Done and done. The changes mentioned before by Bhu have been made.

Should I pronounce this class finished?

Bhu
2010-08-02, 11:58 PM
I'd say it's ready for the first round of playtesting at least. :smallsmile:

TelemontTanthul
2010-08-03, 01:09 AM
Alright. That works out for me, because I believe we are going to play again tomorrow. So hopefully I can tell you guys how it went, and whether or not we have created a monster. :smallbiggrin:

Until then, feel free to check out my "Dysfunctional Dungeons and Dragons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162107)" thread, where we are trying to make a Zombie Bard. (Sorta includes a bunch of other things as well, including the Cat-O-Mancer.