PDA

View Full Version : More Pathfinder - A Cavalier Clarification

Freylorn
2010-07-27, 11:41 AM
Our shiny new Pathfinder game officially kicks off this week, with me playing an Order of the Sword cavalier. My question was about the ability gained at eighth level, Mounted Mastery.

Relevant text:

At 8th level, the cavalier ignores the armor check penalty when using the Ride skill, regardless of whether or not the creature he is riding is his mount. Whenever he makes a charge attack while mounted, he receives a +4 Dodge bonus to his AC to avoid attacks set against his charge. When making such an attack, he can add his mount’s Strength modifier to the Damage roll, in addition to his own.

Now, the question is twofold.

1) If I add my mount's strength modifier to my own, and I'm using a lance two-handed, do I still apply the 1.5x? Or is it just the straight-up, unmodified modifier that I add?

2) If I were to have, say, Bull's Strength cast on my horse, and I already have an enhancement bonus to strength, would the two stack in this particular circumstance? I'm not getting two enhancement boni to strength - merely adding another creature's modifier to mine, which happens to also have an enhancement bonus.

And now that I think about it, I'd like to clarify one other thing before I run off and make a new thread about it:

ADDENDUM

If I want to charge, and there's difficult terrain in the way, can I - as part of the charge - have my mount make an Acrobatics check to jump the terrain? I know that's how it worked in 4th, but it's been awhile since I played 3.5 and this is my first time with Pathfinder, so I want to be sure.

Nuke
2010-07-27, 12:22 PM
1) http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/lance

You can use it one handed, in which case you don't add 1.5x strength when using a lance mounted, just your normal str modifier. But if you're using it 2 handed than you'd add 1.5X str.

And then your mounts str modifier to the damage when you reach the appropriate Chevalier level.

2) Yes because it's not stacking. Your strength is enhanced, and your mount's strength is enhanced. Note that you're adding your mounts strength bonus as a miscellaneous modifier to damage during a charge attack, you're not adding the mount's strength to your strength modifier.

Addendum: That's more open to interpretation. I probably would allow it, but it's really your DM's call. There's nothing in the Acrobatics skill that mentions being able to jump over difficult terrain to be able to charge though, and nothing in the Combat section regarding charge other than saying that you can't do so if there's anything that would block or hinder movement.

imperialspectre
2010-07-27, 12:45 PM
You're looking in the wrong place. The usage for getting a mount to leap over rough terrain is in the Ride skill, and it specifies only "as part of movement." So, since movement occurs when charging, you can order your mount to leap.

Unfortunately, the RAW is broken in the Pathfinder skill description (at least on the Pathfinder SRD) because they retained wording for the mount's "Jump" modifier when the correct skill in PF is "Acrobatics." Shouldn't be a problem, but is funny for people who don't care for PF.

Freylorn
2010-07-27, 03:20 PM
Thank you very much for your responses to question 2 and the addendum. I suppose I should clarify my first question though.

I'm aware I would get 1.5x my strength bonus with the lance - I wasn't sure if I would get 1x or 1.5x my MOUNT'S strength bonus.

For example, let's say my strength is 22 and my mount's is 18.

Would I deal 1d8+13 (1.5x my modifier for 9, and my mount's modifier of 4) or 1d8+15 (1.5x my modifier as well as 1.5x my mount's.)