PDA

View Full Version : Profile fail?

Crimmy
2010-07-27, 12:57 PM
So my PC hates me (These are not news for those who remember my thread about me reinstalling XP).

Anyway, now it won't let me load my profile, in which I had everything, from customized icons, to my direct access to practically all that I use (Firefox, irfanview, my docs, music, images, etc.) With it, I've lost practically everything I had on Firefox. Bookmarks, passwords, and the whole lot.

However, neither my sister's, nor my brother's profile are affected by this.
Question is: How can I fix this? CAN I fix this?? If not, will this later on affect my sibling's profiles?

EDIT: I'm using Win XP Pro.

shiram
2010-07-27, 01:44 PM
The only thing i could think of is if one of them is admin on the machine you could log on there and try your luck with the profile files in the Documents and settings folder.
Maybe you could pick some stuff up from there, and recreate your account?

factotum
2010-07-27, 03:55 PM
Exactly how is it failing to load your profile? Is it using a temporary one because yours is too corrupt, or is there something specific that happens when you log in on your own profile?

If it's plain and simple corruption, then it could possibly be a sign the hard disc is failing, but it's difficult to say given the amount of information here.

Rawhide
2010-07-27, 04:42 PM
Rename your profile folder (in Documents and Settings) from "Name" to "Name.BACKUP"
Restore icons/bookmarks/etc. one by one from the backup folder to where you want them to be

Crimmy
2010-07-27, 05:32 PM
So, summary:
-Profile won't be coming back.
-Backup profile
-Re-do from scratch...

Okay, I hoped I could save it, but meh.

Thanks guys, you're awesome.

Rawhide
2010-07-27, 05:36 PM
So-Re-do from scratch...

Not exactly. You will have all of your profile settings in the old folder. you can drag and drop all of your bookmarks, desktop icons, documents, etc. quite easily. Only certain settings will need to be done from scratch.

Cealocanth
2010-07-27, 07:12 PM
My guess is that a nasty virus got on your network and is really harming your computers. I hope you have your files backed up, because if you were me, I would be hard wiping my computer.