PDA

View Full Version : Internet Fails...Why?

Deth Muncher
2010-07-27, 01:38 PM
So, I've had my Lenovo Thinkpad for about a year now, and I notice it does something strange - it can't hold an internet connection for too long. It generally holds a connection for about six hours, but after that, it just forgets how to connect to the internet and I have to restart it. Any ideas why? I know it's not the network I'm using, because I've tested it on at least three different networks I can think of.

factotum
2010-07-28, 01:31 AM
How do you connect to the Internet? USB modem? ADSL router connected via Ethernet? Two cans and a piece of string?

Xyk
2010-07-28, 01:42 AM
How do you connect to the Internet? USB modem? ADSL router connected via Ethernet? Two cans and a piece of string?

Actually, this reminds me of cantennas. They actually work and are inexpensive and easy enough to build.

IonDragon
2010-07-28, 10:26 PM
So, I've had my Lenovo Thinkpad for about a year now, and I notice it does something strange - it can't hold an internet connection for too long. It generally holds a connection for about six hours, but after that, it just forgets how to connect to the internet and I have to restart it. Any ideas why? I know it's not the network I'm using, because I've tested it on at least three different networks I can think of.

My IBM Thinkpad did something like that, but only when it was at home. And only when it lost connection to power. If I right clicked on the WiFi icon and clicked repair it always worked right away. Just another mystery of life maybe?

SurlySeraph
2010-07-28, 10:41 PM
I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad and it does that all the time. Just repair and/or disable and re-enable the connection.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-29, 01:32 AM
See, but repairing it fails to work now. And I connect via Wifi, btw. Oh, and the IBM Thinkpad is basically the same computer - I've seen it, it looks exactly the same. And I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, and that fails too.

IonDragon
2010-07-29, 02:11 AM
See, but repairing it fails to work now. And I connect via Wifi, btw. Oh, and the IBM Thinkpad is basically the same computer - I've seen it, it looks exactly the same. And I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, and that fails too.

Not quite. It's next to impossible to break an IBM. I've seen one that took damage from a rocket in Iraq, was missing pieces (case/coverings) and still ran. I've used my IBM for everything from a foot rest to a plate with no ill effects. The entire ThinkPad line is tough, but nothing beats an IBM for durability. [/fanboy]

If repairing your connection does not work, download the most up to date driver, uninstall your wireless card then run the driver install.

bluewind95
2010-07-31, 01:16 AM
Perhaps the wireless card is overheating? It happens after a while, after all... It may be faulty... perhaps you could see about replacing it?

Deth Muncher
2010-07-31, 01:19 AM
Perhaps the wireless card is overheating? It happens after a while, after all... It may be faulty... perhaps you could see about replacing it?

I kinda wondered if this was possible. Hopefully the computer is still under warranty, so if it's something faulty, they'll replace it.