PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Curbstomp (Escheton)

Ditto
2010-07-27, 02:11 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||S|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=222549)

Escheton
2010-07-27, 02:49 PM
I make a intelligence or untrained knowledgecheck to deduce if it's condensation or not. [roll0]
Regardless of result I touch a copperpiece to the wall after first checking for traps [roll1] in c2
I then pull out my 11 foot pole and poke the wall and door and the ground and ceiling of my direct path to the door. I then fold up and restor the pole.
I then check my path for traps [roll2] for c3 and [roll3] for c4. If an extra roll is needed for the door: [roll4]

This is followed with a listencheck at the door: [roll5]
Regardless of result I get my towershield and open the door.

also: yay a thread

Ditto
2010-07-27, 03:24 PM
Your intelligence check informs you that it might be gelatinous cube droppings. Or the walls might be sweating? You're not really sure. :smallbiggrin: Your copper piece is wet now.

Your detect no trouble en route to the door, and decide to open it without further complication. The heavy lead door slides smoothly into the wall. Ahead of you, the corridor goes 35 ft south. There is a turn to the east at 25 ft south. Looking east from the doorway, the corridor goes on farther than you can see, at least 40 ft. 10 ft east, the hall turns both North and South. At 35 ft east, you can just make out a door on the North wall.

It may be useful for you to describe a general procedure for moving down hallways, if you'll be making search checks or prodding with your pole a lot. Also, the torch next to the door in your starting room is currently the only source of illumination. The corridors ahead are dark.

Escheton
2010-07-27, 03:38 PM
I sheathe(?) the towershield. Then I get my heartfire lantarn and fill it with a cube. I wield it in my off-hand. For now I put it down to get my 11 foot pole.

I now generally use the pole to poke the squares far ahead of me and then search for a round (2 or 3 if the resulting roll is below 20) then proceed forward. All the while making listenchecks.

When within 20 ft of a intersection I throw a remaining cube of heartfire smack in the middle to prevent dead angles, and perhaps alerting foes that way. I then pick it up when in the square myself.

ow right, I proceed(as above) east from the door.
After checking if it's an everburning torch by picking it up and holding it to the door to see if it become blackened. If not I use it instead of heartfire cubes on intersections.

Ditto
2010-07-27, 04:54 PM
It is in fact a normal torch, and you could take it with you. I assume you'll stick with hearthfire, though.

I'll make passive Listen checks for you and let you know if anything interesting comes up.

10 ft east past the 4 way intersection, your pole pokes through the flooring and reveals a pit trap. It is 20 ft deep, and takes up the whole 5 by 5 ft square/corridor.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about search rolls. If you'd like to take 10 on each square, you'll have a 17 on the check. If you'd like to take 20, that'd be a 27 (and take 2 minutes to check each square). Or you could roll for each square and just keep going until you get a roll of 13+ if you want to get a check of 20+ on each one, but that might be tedious. Your call.

Dunno what you mean about 'dead angles' from your hearthfire, either. As you approach the intersection your torch will let you see around the corner just fine.

Escheton
2010-07-27, 05:15 PM
It's a cone-shaped burst of light. Sorta 1 dimensional. So while examining 1 corridor the others are dark. Something I like to avoid.

Most traps are at least dc 21 to find. As such a low roll on the first search will not find it. But taking 20 will take too long. So I am willing to spend 18 second looking around but no longer. So if the first is roll lower then 14 I try again, this twice. Then I move on regardless of the rolls. Unless it is a special location such as a door or something else catches my eye.

I take out my lucerne hammer and use it to carefull place my lantern on the other side of the 5 by 5 trap. I then take a running start while holding my lucerne hammer in case I don't make it to prevent falling in. It being longer then 5 ft and all...
[roll0] that should have been -2, I forgot the -5 acp

Ditto
2010-07-27, 06:09 PM
Alright, three rounds of searching per square it is. And that's after you poke the square with your pole.

From my googling, it appears the lucerne hammer is from Dragon magazine, which is a banned source. You should choose another weapon before we get much further.

Even with the ACP, your 18 easily beats the DC5. You continue ahead 10 ft and when you're standing in front of the door on the North side of the hallway, your pole activates a trap. [roll0] hits, for [roll1] dmg from a little foont of acid that shoots out of the tile 10 ft ahead.

30 ft ahead of you, you see another 4 way intersection like the one you just passed. At 50 ft east, the hallway turns south. There is a door on the east wall at the turning.

Escheton
2010-07-27, 06:19 PM
Actually, the lucernhammer is from arms and equipment guide. Which technically would be 3.0. Replacing with glaive if not allowed.

Now, did I actually get that dmg, being 11 ft away and all? Or/and did my 11ft pole get any dmg and should I look up it's stats?

I head towards the door.

Ditto
2010-07-27, 06:37 PM
I believe you can only use certain pieces of 3.0 material if they have not been updated to 3.5, which the lucerne hammer has - in Dragon. Which means it's now disallowed, alas. Let's just go with the glaive. Pretty much the same thing for your purposes.

The clever trap did, in fact, target you. Your pole is unharmed! Huzzah!

I assume you mean you're heading to the door at the end of the corridor east and not the one you're standing right next to. When you reach that door, you see the southern turn goes for 10 ft before turning east again.

Escheton
2010-07-27, 06:49 PM
I inspect the door for traps.[roll0].[roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4]
couple of rolls, searching till I hit over 20. Any more can be ignored.
I then set up the lantarn on the ground and pull out a harpoon. Then I open the door.

Ditto
2010-07-27, 06:57 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1||||||
2||||||
3||||||
4|||1|||
5||||||
6||||||[/table]
There is a door at A-6 west (your door), another at E-1 and another at F-4. There is a kobold wearing a chain shirt and holding a short sword.
Initiative:[roll0]

Escheton
2010-07-27, 07:05 PM
Initiative:[roll0]
If I win, or if the kobold does nothing: I throw my harpoon [roll1] and pull out my glaive and take a 5 ft step back.
I take it his ac is 16 and he has improved initiative. As such my dex is higher and that 13 is a miss.
Otherwise he has a dex of 20 and prolly finesse. In which case it is time to run away from a friggin kobold.

Ditto
2010-07-28, 09:33 AM
Some very fine assumptions. Anywho, the kobold goes first since he has a higher init modifier.

He saunters over towards you, and his blade weaves so swiftly through the air you think there might have been two.

Oh, and it's on fire.

Oh, and he's wreathed in shadows, granting concealment. (On each attack, please roll a d100. 1-20 misses.)

[roll0]
[roll1]
for [roll2] + [roll3] fire + [roll4] cold
It doesn't hit. Your turn.

Escheton
2010-07-28, 10:34 AM
Holy crap, a swordsage. 20 or 12 dex, the dmg should have been 1d4+5 if it has shadow blade and 20dex. So bab 1 and str 18 makes sense. Or 16 str and +1 blade. Can't have weapon finesse due to bab 1 need. Which would make the init and attackroll have different mods.
Luckily it failed on it's most dangerous action. 2 maneuvers down.

5ft step back, throw harpoon for [roll1] if [roll]1d100 hits(hmm, cant roll in an edit, well it's miss anyways)
unless you use the 13 from before.(which is also a miss)

Either way I turtle up and pull out my towershield as a move.

Ditto
2010-07-28, 03:02 PM
It takes a move action to draw a shield, and another move action to equip a shield. Just to be clear, you have successfully pulled out the shield as you stated, but it's not doing anything for you right now, just being held. Not really 'turtled up'.

The kobold dances backward and then forward to strike again. He points behind you with his free hand.

There's a small fire elemental behind you, you're flanked for the one attack.

[roll0] for [roll1] plus [roll2], and make a fort save DC11. (That's 7 dmg after taking out your DR.)

Escheton
2010-07-28, 04:07 PM
I take it that tumbling is done against a flat dc 15 and not opposed rolls. Good to know. If the dancing was not tumbling, then keep in mind that I threaten with my slam attack. Though this was prolly just to activate his stance. And I stepped back anyways, so no threatening.

I have light fortification and that 1d6 looks a lot like sneak attack dmg.
so 75 or higher makes it? [roll0]
fortsave: [roll1]

now, is the elemental still there on my turn?

Escheton
2010-07-28, 04:14 PM
Never mind, I looked up the maneuver.

I take a 5ft back and use a standard action to use the repair light infusion on myself [roll0] and use a move action to equip my shield.

Ditto
2010-07-28, 04:24 PM
Tumbles to avoid AoOs are flat 15, yes. And you weren't threatening against anything he was doing because of your 5 ft step, correct.

To confirm we're on the same page with your light fortification, in case sneak attack comes up - 0-75 is dmg+SA, 76-100 is just normal dmg.

Are you just weilding the shield presently, or have you planted it to gain full cover? (Full cover would also mean you get no AoOs.) Please specify in the future so I know whether I can attack you. :smallsmile:

Escheton
2010-07-28, 04:48 PM
Well, it takes a standard action I think to set up the shield for full cover.
I currently don;t have one so fire away.

Ditto
2010-07-28, 07:16 PM
So far as I can tell, using a sheild for any purpose is a move action. For future reference.

The kobold does another lovely flip-step backward and shuffles forward to strike again against your newly shielded self.
[roll0], [roll1] Not a hit, now that you weild that fearsome tabletop. You're up.

DM only:

Recover maneuvers.

Escheton
2010-07-28, 07:48 PM
I simply draw my sword and try to strike him. [roll0][roll1]
That is all.

I forgot concealment again, but again it does not matter much.

Ditto
2010-07-29, 09:58 AM
Tis indeed a big whiff.

Our kobold performs flips backward then forward to amuse and delight, dodging your AoO and then returning to treat you to the same slash-slash-fire attack he began your encounter with.

Tumble: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
for [roll3] + [roll4] fire + [roll5] cold dmg
Misses, and he is sad. Stop making the kobold sad, you big mean robot man.

Escheton
2010-07-29, 12:36 PM
Seeing it takes a swordsage a ful round action to recover a maneuver or use of a feat I am hoping he won't use that again.
Time to use my strengths against his weaknesses. It will cost me an attack of opportunity though

[roll0] for concealment

[roll1] to disarm the little bastard. Opposed attackrolls, he gets a -4 for the lightness of his weapon. The +4 for sizedifference is already in my roll.
(Of course, Now i roll a crit)

If I succeed I use a move action to either kick it behind me, or if that isnt allowed a bit behind him.If that isnt allowed I drop my sword behind me as a free action and simply pick up his.

Ditto
2010-07-29, 02:28 PM
AoO vs Disarm: [roll0] Fail.

Since you are armed, his sword drops into his square. Picking up/drawing a weapon (his) from his square is okay, and draws an AoO. He's already used his AoO for the round during the disarm attempt, though, so you get off free. Your sword is dropped in the square behind (west) of you. Good move!

For his turn, the kobold 5-ft steps east, picks up your lantern, and closes the hood on your lantern. The hallway is now pitch black.

Escheton
2010-07-29, 04:20 PM
As a move action I sheathe the shortsword in my swordsheathe.
As a move action I retrieve a stored item: a cube of heartfire.
that is all I can do for now. Unless I can grab the cube and stow the sword in 1 action. In that case I also retrieve my longsword and take a 5ft step forward after dropping said cube in the square I am going to be in.

Ditto
2010-07-29, 07:06 PM
Nope, sheathing and grabbing are two separate actions. You've now got a cube in one hand and a shield in/on the other, standing in a hallway.

In the dark, you are effectively Blinded, so a quick summary of the impact:
The character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character.

The notes I can find on kobold natural weapons are distressingly sparse, but per CrystalKeep you're being treated to the kobold slashing you twice and biting in a full attack.

Unarmed strike! Whiff! Go back to your dungeoneering, citizen.[roll0], [roll1] dmg
[roll2], [roll3] dmg
[roll4], [roll5] dmg <-- hits your blinded AC of 20.

Escheton
2010-07-29, 07:11 PM
I am not blinded, I have a source of light. the cube in my hand.
Negate that, I just read up on it and it needs to have water poured on it to function. Stupid.
Don't think kobold have a bite attack though.
Actually, checking the 3.5 monster manual reveals they have no natural weapons whatsoever.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/kobold.htm

I also checked races of the dragon and the draconomicon. The sources according to crystalkeep
Races of the dragon has the same entry. And in the con I could not find any kobolds.
There is a web enhancement on races of the dragon that has a variant that has those natural attacks as well as slight build though. And if you are using that one I am certainly gonna grapple and pin his tiny ass. And had I known I would have done so from the start actually.
Hmm, if advanteous...so nvm that.

And even when using the variant. I doubt this one has improved/greater multiattack to cut the attackpenalty down to 0.

Escheton
2010-07-30, 01:45 AM
Regardless, I drop the cube as a free action. Open a...hmm I seem to have forgotten to pack a waterskin and/or wineskin. I thought I did.
As such I must have used the moistness of the walls to use the first heartfire cube and are now actually out of luck as I can't light this one unless I can use my own blood.
Hmm, I must ponder this some more.
Also I lined up my use of I's nicely.
Or I think I did.
I did indeed.

Ditto
2010-07-30, 10:36 AM
I read the web enhancement and compared to the dungeon notes. This guy does not have slight build, so he can't've had natural weapons. I will revise his last turn to being one unarmed strike, using his first attack roll, which dealt you no damage. Probably a bad move for his turn, but hey that's my penalty for getting mixed up. :smallsmile:

Not that you'd know he has slight build unless you could make an appropriate knowledge check in re: kobolds, since Curbstomp certainly doesn't have access to web enhancements and the Internet. :smalltongue:

You can go ahead with your turn when you figure out what you want to do in the dark.

Escheton
2010-07-30, 02:41 PM
Alright. Having no source of water the heartcube in my hand is pointless. Should have brought that torch. On that note. I am slightly desoriented. There is some light behind me and a pittrap. How far does that light extend into this corridor?
I drop the heartcube and pick up my longsword if I can do so by touch. [roll0] for the 50/50 concealment if needed.
Second try if needed: [roll1]
Otherwise I swipe the air in front of me in hope of hitting my foe: [roll2] [roll3]

Ditto
2010-07-30, 06:04 PM
This corridor is 85 ft running east-west. The torch room provides enough light for you to see the 4 way intersection (15 ft east) and the pit trap (another 10 ft east), and juuuust make out the outline of a door on the north wall (another 10 ft east). Between where the light ends and the door of the kobold room is another 4 way intersection.

Counting backward from the east door, you are in the 3rd square. The kobold is in the 2nd square, last you checked. The intersection is 5 squares back. You've got about 40 ft back to the door where you'll be able to see again.

Low numbers are a miss, so you successfully find your sword first try. You swipe and even connect with the kobold, but it slides off his armor. Bad angle in the darkness.

Escheton
2010-07-30, 07:39 PM
Was that his turn and did I simply not sense what he did or what?
I swipe the air in from of me. [roll0] [roll1][roll2][roll3] if I happen to crit.
Then I move back 15 ft as a full move(half speed) to said intersection.

Ditto
2010-07-30, 08:43 PM
Sorry, meant to say he did something in the dark, yes. Your next attack misses.

His turn: He charges you with an unarmed fwap! Not very swordsagey at all, is it? [roll0] [roll1] subdual. Bah, no dice again.

Escheton
2010-07-30, 09:46 PM
Well, a swordsage without a sword is just a clever chap...
I unequip my towershield and make running jump over the trap as visibility is improved here and I can move normally. I thought a running jump needed a 10ft runup like a charge. It needs 20. Seeing I don't have that it becomes a dc 10. Or a dc 15 ref if I fail by 5 or less.
So jump:[roll0]ref:[roll1]

Ditto
2010-07-31, 11:40 AM
You've got at least another turn's worth of move until you reach the area you can see clearly/move fully again. You could unequip the shield and move 15 ft, or just move 30 ft. for your turn. (At which point you would be able to see with shadowy illumination again.)

And yes, it's 20 ft of runup for the easy Jump check.

Escheton
2010-08-01, 06:49 AM
In that case I do not unequip just yet and simply double move yonder.
And replace next turns actions with those stated above.
Hope that works for you.
Or am I 1 move short then? I'm not good at picturing maps without actual pictures and have not yet taken the effort to search for a map generator that is not simply pen and paper.

Ditto
2010-08-02, 06:07 PM
The angry kobold charges you again, in between. [roll0], [roll1] subdual. Still not enough.

You are now able to see, and that standing jump check from before will be enough to get you over the pit. (Not enough light on the east side for a 20 ft run-up.) There is a sad kobold 10 ft past the pit. It flourishes its hands at you - or makes a rude gesture - or maybe both.

Escheton
2010-08-02, 07:29 PM
Flourish, sounds like a warblade.
Can't grab a harpoon and throw it as I am still wielding a sword at the moment. (first version of this post had that, with rolls)
So I move forward to the first room. And drop my shield, sword and pack to the ground and recover a heartfire cube from my pack.

Ditto
2010-08-04, 05:01 PM
Sorry for the delay. Alright, you're standing in the torch room with some hearthfire. Carry on. :smallsmile:

DM only:
Kobold jumps across pit ([roll0]), waits at intersection, readies action to 5 ft step west and Burning Blade (unarmed) if Mr. Warforged comes through the door into the hallway.

Whups, that's embarassing. He didn't take the time to get the 20 ft head start, so he falls. Ref save to avoid splatting to follow.

Ditto
2010-08-04, 05:06 PM
Also DM only:
[roll0] vs DC15, else fall and take [roll1] damage.
Wow, that's really embarassing. The pit has killed that damn kobold.

Escheton
2010-08-04, 05:55 PM
I am assuming that that torch is affixed to the wall with something. I inspect it and mentally check if I could use my tools to detach it from the wall and attach it to my tower-shield or something. And/O if I could use the materials to hold the block of heartfire in it and hook that on the shield. Like a plant-trey you hang on your balcony.
If so, I spend the time needed to fashion it. After touching the cube of heartfire to the moist wall to ignite it.

Ditto
2010-08-04, 06:20 PM
This torch is just sitting in its wall bracket, actually. You can remove it without difficulty. I'm not sure how you're affixing the torch or the hearthfire to your shield, though. Keep in mind the shield is wooden, so you should probably be careful about how you plan to affix a torch to it lest it, y'know, catch fire.

Escheton
2010-08-04, 10:08 PM
Alright, thats what I wanted to know. The bracket. I don't have raw material on me because I forgot a few things. So can I afix the bracket to the top of my towershield with the tools at my disposal?
Or even better: bend and fold the bracket in a way as to hold the cube and be removable from the shield?

Ditto
2010-08-05, 09:21 AM
I really don't see how. It's just a ring bolted to the stone wall to hold the torch. You could saw the ring off with your hacksaw, but then you'd have a ring to put a torch in, not very useful. The best you could do is use your rope to lash it to the top of your shield, but there's a chance of it lighting the shield on fire.

Nothing you have available would be a suitable recepticle for activated hearthfire.

You might consider going back and finding your lantern.

Escheton
2010-08-05, 09:33 PM
Well, first things first. There is still a kobold on the other side of that pittrap. Provided he didn't jump it. In which case he should have been here by now, so he is either preparing behind the door or he fell down. Either of which my listenchecks won't detect.
So I pick up my towershield, and am now holding the tower and a cube.
Did I spend any time to ignite it off the wall yet? If not I do so and end my turn.

Ditto
2010-08-06, 11:30 AM
The door is open, since you didn't mention closing it. Squishing the hearthfire cube against the wall is a move action. I'm not sure you can actually use hearthfire for any period of time without a hearthfire lantern. I got the impression that the cube gets all gooey and melty once moistened, so you'd need a bowl or something to hold it. I shall research! Never mind, looks like you can carry a goo cube just fine.

Actually, you had a not-bad listen check just now and heard a muffled thud back down the hallway. (Don't sell yourself short! :smallsmile:) Nothing happens that you can see.

FYI, I'm going to be away for a long weekend. Leewei will be keeping an eye on you for a few days. Happy hunting!

Escheton
2010-08-06, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a facepalm...
And have fun on your weekend.

Feeling emboldened by the fact that the little kobold is mostly harmless I equip my towershield for full cover and...wait...how will I see him if the cover blocks all view?...ok no I simply equip the shield and move towards the pittrap to check if the kobold is around the corner, along the alley or in the trap.

Leewei
2010-08-06, 09:59 PM
The kobold is indeed in the pit trap. If you can get to it, you can score his stuff.

Escheton
2010-08-07, 05:22 AM
Is it possible to disable the trap? Other then filling it with concrete or mission impossible hover above the spikes and remove them.
And what would be the dc of a knot that could be used to fish the kobolds leg up here. A hangman noose of sorts.

Couple of disable tries:[roll0][roll1][roll2]

Couple of use rope tries should the dc be over 12:[roll3][roll4][roll5]

Leewei
2010-08-07, 07:55 AM
Once these pit traps are sprung, disarming the mechanisms won't accomplish much of anything -- the lid has fallen in and smashed on the floor.

DC15 to tie a slip knot, so you succeed on the first try. It might take a few tries to rope the kobold, but there's no reason to hold things up by making you roll until you succeed. Congratulations, you have a dead kobold with a chain shirt and masterwork tumbling tool (legwarmers). Both items are sized for a small humanoid.

Escheton
2010-08-07, 08:31 AM
Awesome, I have something to spring traps with.

I get the warmers and shirt and put them on the bottom of my pack. After I wrap it's shortsword in the chain shirt and sheathe my own sword in it's sheathe.
I roll up my rope and attach them to the pack so I can detach it with a move action. And have the kobold drag about 5 feet behind me. Or closer if I wield the rope. I also make sure I slacken the rope to throw the kobold 10ft forward. Onto a trap or whatever. For now I slacken it by a whole 30ft though.
I sheathe(?) the towershield, grab an extra heartcube, light it and stow it in a packpocket.
I toss the kobold across the pit. [roll0] if needed
Then I take a running start to jump over the pit jump: [roll1]ref:[roll2] while holding the remaining lit cube in my hand.

Thats quite a few actions though.

Leewei
2010-08-07, 09:17 AM
By heartcube, did you mean hearthcube? Anyway, you clear the pit.

Escheton
2010-08-07, 10:12 AM
Right yeah, Im no carebear.

Fix the rope back to 5ft retrieve my lantern and harpoons.
Then walk back to the first intersection between the (pit)trap and well...the (acid)trap. Lay down the lantern to shine into the soon to be opened room and leave the hearthcube currently in my hand 10ft towards the pittrap in case the lantern gets closed again.

Check the door for traps, regardless of whether I tried before [roll0][roll1][roll2]

Leewei
2010-08-07, 10:27 AM
Your search fails to reveal any traps on the door.

Escheton
2010-08-07, 11:47 PM
Now, should I open the door with a move action. Do I still get the standard action provided there is a foe in there? Or does that depend on whether I get a supriseround? Or would it be straight to initiativerolls?

Leewei
2010-08-08, 12:22 AM
Tactical actions don't start until the melee begins. Unless you are already fighting something, there is no combat round as such. Opening or closing a door takes roughly 3 seconds, but doesn't affect the first round of a fight in any way, other than there being an open door in front of you.

Edit: In short, just say you're opening a door and roll initiative when you feel ready.

Escheton
2010-08-08, 03:35 AM
The point is more that I would like to open the door/start combat with the towershield in hand but unequiped and a harpoon in the other and am trying to find a method of doing so.

Leewei
2010-08-08, 08:04 AM
The short answer is that you need a way to open the door with both hands occupied. A companion of some sort or else some type of magic such as unseen servant would be needed.

Escheton
2010-08-08, 10:33 AM
Right. I simply open the door with a harpoon in hand. With the towershield still on my back.

Leewei
2010-08-08, 10:42 AM
Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||L||
4|||||
5|||||[/table]
There are doors at A5 south (your door) and E1 north.
In the room there is an ugly looking, blue scaled, lizard thing with fire in it's mouth!
Initiative: [roll0]

Escheton
2010-08-08, 11:56 AM
Well, then it's just a initiativeroll for this post then. [roll0]

(note to self: open doors with full cover, worry about attackoptions later)

Leewei
2010-08-08, 04:10 PM
The reptile runs up on two legs and breathes fire on you.

[roll0] /2 damage, save for half, plus you're entangled if you take damage.

DM only:[roll1]

Escheton
2010-08-09, 02:24 AM
there is no save against the entangle-effect?
Man, entangling breath is warped.
Or did you mean if you take full dmg?
[roll0]

Leewei
2010-08-09, 08:02 AM
Nope, save for half, entangled if you take any damage. Yep, it certainly does suck. Your turn.

Escheton
2010-08-09, 09:18 AM
So I get 1 dmg and I am now entangled?
Thats it, next char is a DFA.

Drop harpoon, grab tower as move. Set for cover as standard.

Leewei
2010-08-09, 09:44 AM
It breathes, not affecting you, but inflicting [roll0] /2 damage on your shield. It'd be entangled if it wasn't an object. The lizard-thing appears a bit confused by this.

Escheton
2010-08-09, 11:51 AM
whats the /2?
divided by 2?

also, what sort of damage is it, fire?
So how much damage did I get earlyer?
what is the duration of the entangle-effect currently on me?
Or will I find out when it wears off?

It takes a standard action to use a towershield for cover, does that mean that it is automatically used as a normal shield if I attack in a round following a round I used it for full cover?
Haven't made any sword and towerboard builds yet...

I use my standard action to maintain cover, and grab my longsword.

Leewei
2010-08-09, 12:40 PM
Lots of questions, so I'm going to chop up things in quote blocks:

whats the /2?
divided by 2?That's right. Minimum of 1 damage, however.

also, what sort of damage is it, fire? Fire, yep.

So how much damage did I get earlyer? 1 hp.

what is the duration of the entangle-effect currently on me?It expired after one round.

It takes a standard action to use a towershield for cover, does that mean that it is automatically used as a normal shield if I attack in a round following a round I used it for full cover?
Haven't made any sword and towerboard builds yet... The write-up for a Tower Shield in the SRD pretty much sums it up. Yes, you get normal shield benefit only. Also, your attacks are penalized (-2).

Leewei
2010-08-09, 12:41 PM
Annoyed, the critter blasts you again.

[roll0] / 2 fire damage to your shield.

Escheton
2010-08-09, 01:56 PM
Now, how does the half damage interact with the halfdmg against objects?
Or hardness for that matter?

I swipe at the weird little thing.
[roll0] [roll1]

and move 10ft west towards the other intersection so he would have to move into the corridor to hit me again...

Leewei
2010-08-09, 04:57 PM
The tower shield essentially just takes 1hp of damage from each breath attack. He'll pursue into the hall and breathe on you for [roll0] /2 fire damage, plus entangle.

Escheton
2010-08-09, 05:51 PM
So if I am not mistaken I am 10ft from the door and he/she/it is 5ft west from the door.

I bullrush him towards the trap as a standard action. I checked and being entangled does not effect this. Nor is the number of squares you can move with the defender limited by your move.

Also checked on hp of the tower, its 20, so more then me...

So here goes nothing. [roll0]

Leewei
2010-08-09, 06:15 PM
So if I am not mistaken I am 10ft from the door and he/she/it is 5ft west from the door.

I bullrush him towards the trap as a standard action. I checked and being entangled does not effect this. Nor is the number of squares you can move with the defender limited by your move.

So here goes nothing. [roll0]

The SRD section on Bull Rush disagrees:

You can’t, however, exceed your normal movement limit. Since your move is halved, you can move 10' and Bull Rush him back 5' if you'd like. You won't be able to follow him. If you'd prefer, you can use your previous die roll as an attack. Otherwise, you can give yourself Full Cover and wait a round.

Escheton
2010-08-09, 06:17 PM
ah shucks, yeah then its just cover and wait out the entangle.

Leewei
2010-08-09, 08:19 PM
The shield takes another point of damage. Your turn.

Escheton
2010-08-09, 09:27 PM
still entangled? still taking cover.

Leewei
2010-08-09, 10:35 PM
Still entangled.

DM only:[roll0]
Take [roll1] fire damage as the fiery goop continues to impede you.

On its turn, the creature glares at you and burns your shield for another point of damage.

Escheton
2010-08-09, 10:53 PM
Damage over time? The little bastard.
Still cover. Hp on sheet corrected again.

Leewei
2010-08-09, 11:19 PM
And again. [roll0] fire.

Escheton
2010-08-10, 07:44 AM
Damage over time? full this time? No half?
And what does he do? Does the shield get dmg again? Am I still entangled?

Leewei
2010-08-10, 08:22 AM
Damage over time? full this time? No half?
And what does he do? Does the shield get dmg again? Am I still entangled? Yes, full. The shield takes damage when used for full cover. There's duration on the breath effect on the shield as well, but I'm too lazy to roll it for now. I hated this guy when I was doing first floor. Very annoying.

Escheton
2010-08-10, 08:55 AM
Seeing the lingering effect probably dont stack should I just subtract 1 hp from it every round?

Also, still entangled then? Do or die time now as I can't take another hit like that. On 3 hp now.

My turn?

Leewei
2010-08-10, 09:42 AM
Go for it. The multiple breath effects will stack on you and your shield, by the way, but the fight will be over long before it matters.

Escheton
2010-08-10, 10:36 AM
Man, this guy rules.
Can't bullrush him into the pit because he rolled well on the duration, almost dead because he rolled well on the hit that matters. And won't survive another full hit of the entangling fire so can't stay in cover. And if I drop cover to selfheal I will get another layer of sticky fire.

So all I can do is hope the next layer has a low duration as the chance of hitting him with the -2 from being entangled and the -2 from the tower is rather low. Though I could unequip the tower and hope for a high roll. And hope that 1 hit will kill him. Not liking those odds.

Alright, repair light dmg [roll0] and unequip the shield, no use now anyways and I can always re-equip and cover next round.

Leewei
2010-08-10, 11:20 AM
Fwoosh!
[roll0] /2 fire damage plus [roll1] continuing damage.

Escheton
2010-08-10, 11:23 AM
3 hp left, well it bought me 1 round at least.
Full cover, fingers crossed.

Leewei
2010-08-10, 11:43 AM
DM only:
[roll0]
Burninate for another [roll1] plus [roll2] fire damage.

Edit: Looks like that'll finish you off. Care to try again?

Escheton
2010-08-10, 12:12 PM
Reroll you mean?

Yeah, I'll start building a new one asap.

Leewei
2010-08-10, 12:53 PM
Sure thing. I'm replying to make your next post visible to me when it happens. I track my thread involvement through a subscriptions page.

Ditto
2010-08-11, 09:53 AM
I'm back! Thanks for running him through your favorite room, Leewei. :smallsmile:

You can continue on with the same character, if you'd like, Escheton. For future reference, as I said back in post 20, as far as I know setting a tower shield only costs a move action. You could set it and then spend a standard action to heal yourself, for instance.

Leewei
2010-08-11, 10:23 AM
Looks like Ditto's back in the driver's seat. Here's the SRD text regarrding the Tower Shield:

Shield, Tower: This massive wooden shield is nearly as tall as you are. In most situations, it provides the indicated shield bonus to your AC. However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so. The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else.
When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a –2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance.

I interpreted "giving up your attacks" as taking a Standard Action. Since it doesn't explicitly state what type of action it uses, I can see it working the other way as well.

Ditto
2010-08-11, 11:49 AM
I bounced it off the FAQ thread, and the reading there took that to mean you give up AoOs. Which makes sense anyway. But all other manipulate an item effects are move action, so it tracks in my mind that this would be the same.

Escheton
2010-08-11, 10:16 PM
That would be a houserule. I doublechecked and it takes a standard. Well, my reading does. If could have kept the shield up and healed this would indeed have turned out differently( I hope).

So to which point would you like to rewind?

Ditto
2010-08-12, 09:18 AM
Hey, yeah? What's the source on that? Something that reads different from the SRD? I'm all for honoring your sensibilities on the matter, but I'd like to know so I can apply it the same way if I DM other towershield weilders.

When you die you start from the torch room, but you'll be able to fastforward a bit through areas you've already explored. Which I guess is pretty much just one corridor. This does not mean you auto-bypass traps, though, and still have to find them on your own. For the pit trap, your standard operating procedure will work fine. The acid trap, you need to find a way to bypass - and if you use 'OOC' knowledge from the last run-through to avoid traps completely that this version of you shouldn't know about, I might move them around. :smallsmile:

Escheton
2010-08-12, 01:26 PM
No it's the same wording. I just figure that giving up attacks means take a standard action. I just think it would have read "you can't attack while doing so" if they meant your reading of the text.

I can't restart with the same char right?
Reroll a new char and change the threadtitle right?

Working on the Dromite dread necro I had in mind earlyer. Waiting for replys in the main treads so I can build his mount.

Ditto
2010-08-12, 03:34 PM
No, you can absolutely keep the same character. It's very rare that folks make it through without dying at least once, actually. I didn't encounter either of the rooms you hit when I played, so there's plenty of variety to be had with one character. :smallsmile: Here's a nice official reboot for ya:

The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||S|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=222549)

Escheton
2010-08-12, 04:22 PM
So from the start no kobold in the pit. K...
Can I add some last minute shopping? Small things like a waterskin, perhaps some caltrops.

Ditto
2010-08-12, 04:32 PM
Sure, this is the time to do so. Go ahead and deduct whatever mundane junk you want to grab on your sheet and head into the big scary hallway when ready.

Escheton
2010-08-12, 05:21 PM
Actually, can I bank this guy and use him for higher lvls when my dromite croaks?
The idea of a dromite riding a clawfoot just seems too awesome right now.

Ditto
2010-08-12, 06:16 PM
If you clear this level with character A and want to use this character B for level 2, character B starts with no extra XP and WBL. Character A would get to continue on immediately with whatever XP and loot he had collected while travelling through level 1. It's your choice.

Make sure you read up on how LA works with gestalt. I think it just eats up one side, but I'm not sure. Also, if you're using any wacky creatures I've not heard of like clawfeet, make sure I'll be able to get at their stats.