PDA

View Full Version : Help me think of Eberron campaign ideas!

FuryOfMetal
2010-07-27, 02:25 PM
So yes...I just started DMing and my group are playing in Eberron because we all think it's cool. I've looked through the published starter modules (they have you gathering pieces of a schema for house Cannith to make...something) and I'm content to use them as a springboard for something cooler. Or I want 2 seperate but overlapping story arcs, using the basic idea of the published modules as arc 1 then overlapping into arc 2.

Currently the only fun idea i have right now is setting up the BBEG to be a very high ranking member of The Silver Flame - cue corruption and lieing to the masses.

tl;dr Anybody got Eberron campaign ideas?

Prime32
2010-07-27, 02:48 PM
Nyss (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6880.0) has never known love.

0Megabyte
2010-07-27, 03:00 PM
This may sound vague, but possibly something relating to Xen'drik, the Dreaming Dark, and that docent from the book Secrets of Xen'drik that happens to contain the soul of a quori from the previous age of Dal Quor: The Dreaming Heart.

AslanCross
2010-07-27, 05:42 PM
I won't give you anything specific, but there's a couple of settings where you can't go wrong in giving the Eberron feel:
1. Sharn.
2. The Mournland.

Sharn has everything that will give the feel of unconventional (as far as high fantasy goes) city designs; it's very vertical, for one thing. You can have a lot of 3d battlefields there. You also have a good mix of combat and interaction. It's a great setting for any campaign.

The Mournland is trickier, since it requires a great deal more preparation and the players have to be aware of what they're getting into. However, you can throw just about anything at the players and it will still fit. It's a good mix of mystery ("Who is responsible for the Mourning?"), roleplay opportunities (if walking through a field of years-old, fresh-looking corpses doesn't cause the characters to react one bit, there's something wrong), and combat (Practically anything goes. That insane white dragon from Dragons of Eberron that lives in a cave fashioned out of nondecomposing corpses? Daelkyr minions? Quori minions? Warforged? Members of rival Dragonmarked Houses? Survivors of the Mourning?).

The thing about a Mournland campaign is that the hook could be as simple as "House Orien wants to reopen the Metrol leg of the lightning rail system, and you have to check on the condition of the stations. It's dangerous, so you get to keep whatever you find." That's when the PCs find the Lords of Dust setting up an eldritch engine to harvest the polluted magical energy of the Mournland to use as a superweapon.

realbombchu
2010-07-27, 08:10 PM
I don't know if you like video games, but both Breath of Fire II and Final Fantasy Tactics feature the idea of false churches as major plot elements. Maybe you should play through those for inspiration. The more recent releases of each are better than the originals.

I also suggest including the Lords of Dust and The Shadow in the Flame (if you're using 3.5, just use another fiend's stats and call it the shadow in the flame). Fiends of possession could be cool too. I'll try to think of more.

Chambers
2010-07-27, 08:35 PM
The thing about a Mournland campaign is that the hook could be as simple as "House Orien wants to reopen the Metrol leg of the lightning rail system, and you have to check on the condition of the stations. It's dangerous, so you get to keep whatever you find." That's when the PCs find the Lords of Dust setting up an eldritch engine to harvest the polluted magical energy of the Mournland to use as a superweapon.

I so want to play in that game. Will you run it? :smallsmile:

Coidzor
2010-07-27, 10:03 PM
A particularly shadowy game of Xorvintaal has just begun, with the ultimate, super-secret goal of manipulating the humans to restart the great war, and this time get Sarlona involved.

Possibly by frat-boy dragons.

Venerable
2010-07-27, 11:41 PM
Man, what hasn't happened in our Eberron campaign? So far we've seen:

the Draconic Prophecy reared its scaly head
warforged invasion of Sharn :smallmad:
travel by: ship, airship, horse, teleportation circle, jailer's cart, lightning rail, coach, elemental cart, submarine ship, foot
journey into the Mournland, brrr :smalleek:
death by tower (not falling out of one, having one fall on you)
theft from a House Kundarak vault
patricide
capturing a Cannith creation forge
daughtercide
a visit to the ring of Siberys :smallcool:
burning down an embassy ballroom, while ball is in progress :smallredface:
death by torture
meeting members of the Aurum, the Dreaming Dark, and lots of the Order of the Emerald Claw :smallmad:
a blood oath
surviving a mid-air airship collision
meeting vampires; some we kill, some not
a journey to giant ruins in Xen'drik
an outbreak of aberrations from Khyber
changelings :smallfurious: -- there's a reason no one trusts them!
travel to two planes
death by dragon (come to think of it, add "massacre by" too)
fighting the automated defenses of a magical college
duplicitous "allies" :smallannoyed:
disguised dragon(s?)
dragonmark theft
dwarven clan politics, up close
learning the cause of the Day of Mourning
and, last but not least, trying to keep the Last War from starting anew! :smalltongue:

...all in about 14 months, Eberron time. It's been a lot of fun, with two great DMs. They started with the 3.5 ECS book adventure and then went into Shadows of the Last War etc. When we switched to 4E they started writing their own adventures.

HunterOfJello
2010-07-28, 12:11 AM
I just started up a high-powered gestalt Eberron game for two friends a few weeks ago that has been going great.

I started with that same adventure you did from the back of the Eberron Campaign Journal. I wanted to set up an adventure where they where they gained free bonus abilities as they leveled similar to the ones given to the Dragonmark Heir prestige class. I also wanted them to be in opposition to the main Dragonmarked Houses, at least covertly.

The two players decided they wanted to play as brothers in-game, so I had them born as the lost descendents of the House of Vol. I then started the session with the appearance of the 13th moon of Eberron which was featured in The Dreaming Dark series. When the moon appeared, it sent almost 1 out of 1000 people insane, but it also reawakened the Dragonmarks of Death for those who possessed the bloodline to inherit them.

~

I really like the Eberron campaign setting after reading a few of the novels related to it. It has lots of crazy organizations that can be used as allys or enemies to any type of PC group.

The_Admiral
2010-07-28, 01:05 AM
An army of pepper pot shaped creatures has entered the world from a portal armed with wands of disintegration they have one battle-cry
EX-TER-MI-NATE

Greenish
2010-07-28, 06:36 AM

I so want to play in that game. Will you run it? :smallsmile:Can I sign up?
http://www.big-dog-clothing.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/chocolate-labrador-puppy.jpg
Please?

AslanCross
2010-07-28, 07:08 AM

I so want to play in that game. Will you run it? :smallsmile:

I wish I had time. Frankly, I'd rather play than DM any time soon.

Dizlag
2010-07-28, 11:08 AM
Pathfinder has the Kingmaker series ... maybe something along those lines in Xen'drik? A lot of mystery on that continent, kind of like a lost frontier just waiting to be explored and also waiting to pounce!

Maybe the House Cannith device being made in the module helps with the establishment of a kingdom in Xen'drik, a place where vast resources are there to be tapped.

Dizlag

Altarus
2010-07-28, 11:43 AM
Plot ideas that top-off my head, with Cause and probable effects

Tiamat is trying to escape from her Prison in Argonessen, resulting in the end of the world by at the hands of Dragons, or Demons, or both.
The Demon within the Silver Flame manages to overpower the Coautl and Tira Miron, the demonic possession of Jaela Darran is probable
Reappearance of the Mark of Death, resulting in every major power group trying to obtain the bearer.
Lord of Blades possesses a tactical nuke which can replicate the Mourning, and he intends to use it.
The seals on one of the Daelkyr prison is loosening, madness spreads.
Assassination attempt on one of the prominent figures of the five nations, finger pointing ensues and the inevitiable war comes again.
The Real Kauis the III is in Dreadhold, and you have to break him out. Kaius' nature as a Vampire is found out. What happens next?

Something happening? Need an explanation? Pick one:
1) The Draconic Prophecy
2) House Cannith's illegal experiments
3) Planar Incursion
4) Thirty Xanatos Pileup (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThirtyXanatosPileup) due to Chessmaster's plots

Templates like that are NOT Prohibited

AtwasAwamps
2010-07-28, 12:07 PM
Magical Train Robbery!

It's always good.

hamishspence
2010-07-28, 12:11 PM
Might be worth looking through "1001 things the party is forbidden to do in Eberron", for ideas :smallbiggrin:

http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/1001_and_more_Things_that_the_worst_party_in_Eberr on_is_forbidden_from_doing

Coidzor
2010-07-28, 01:55 PM
Thirty Xanatos Pileup (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThirtyXanatosPileup) due to Chessmaster's plots

Y'know, of all the settings I've seen, Eberron seems to wink suggestively and point at a sign saying this the most...

realbombchu
2010-07-29, 05:42 PM
I like the idea where the real king of Karnnath is in jail and you get to fight the vampiric imposter. Very Man in The Iron Mask. That could make a heck of a backstory too. Just saying.

FuryOfMetal
2010-07-30, 05:22 AM
Ah these are some awesome ideas guys, thanks :D I'm reading through the 1001 things not to do in Eberron right now and it's funny :)

So right now I'm thinking this (add drama in your head as necessary)

House Cannith are fighting for control of the creation schema (from shadows of the last war series) with the Lord of Blades. It's an arms race for who can create warforged first. But this is the north contingent of House Cannith (who the players are unknowingly working for) and the other families of Cannith seek to distance themselves from their activites. When all parts of the schema have been found and either sides plans start to come to fruition...in steps the Quori. They've been supplanting members of House Cannith north for decades and want to create warforged to act as vessels for them so they can re-enter the material plane!

That sounds pretty cool to me, but please criticise and give your opinion.

My players are level 3 right now and i don't intend to take them above 15 as we have a monk, rogue and shugenja all low-op (even if they think they might be doing high-op).

Prime32
2010-07-30, 06:03 AM
House Cannith are fighting for control of the creation schema (from shadows of the last war series) with the Lord of Blades. It's an arms race for who can create warforged first. But this is the north contingent of House Cannith (who the players are unknowingly working for) and the other families of Cannith seek to distance themselves from their activites. When all parts of the schema have been found and either sides plans start to come to fruition...in steps the Quori. They've been supplanting members of House Cannith north for decades and want to create warforged to act as vessels for them so they can re-enter the material plane!Problems with this:

House Cannith can already make warforged, they're just not allowed to (and that doesn't stop Merrix). Conflict would be more along the lines of keeping it out of the Lord of Blades's clutches rather than getting it for themselves.
The quori actually created the original warforged for that purpose, when their hosts were in short supply. Maybe the quori are responsible for the schema being found, and want to infiltrate the LoB's gang via the old-school warforged it creates?

FuryOfMetal
2010-07-30, 06:11 AM
Problems with this:

House Cannith can already make warforged, they're just not allowed to. Conflict would be more along the lines of keeping it out of the Lord of Blades's clutches rather than getting it for themselves.
The quori actually created the original warforged for that purpose, when their hosts were in short supply. Modern warforged would be inferior for this purpose since they have souls. Maybe the quori are responsible for the schema being found, and want to infiltrate the LoB's gang via the old-school warforged it creates?

Ah thanks, as i'm reading alot of different Eberron sources at once i get a little confused or forget details.

The published adventures imply that Cannith want the schema to create warforged imo, maybe I'm reading into it wrongly or there's another source that says Cannith can already make warforged. However going with your idea would probably be a more coherent campaign concept.

Ah almost misread the quori point for a moment. So instead of infiitrating Cannith the Quori are the power (or one of the powers) behind LoB and are sponsoring his search for this schema to "create mroe warforged for his cause" but really just wants LoB to create warforged host bodies. That...Sounds...Awesome!

Prime32
2010-07-30, 06:22 AM
The published adventures imply that Cannith want the schema to create warforged imo, maybe I'm reading into it wrongly or there's another source that says Cannith can already make warforged. However going with your idea would probably be a more coherent campaign concept.Their schema might have been destroyed when the creation of new warforged was banned (I'm not sure), but in any case they couldn't make it publicly known that they were trying to get their hands on a new one. In fact, there's probably only a small number of people within one branch who know about it, hiring others without giving them the specifics. If the secret gets out, they'll say they were just trying to keep it out of enemy hands.

Ah almost misread the quori point for a moment. So instead of infiitrating Cannith the Quori are the power (or one of the powers) behind LoB and are sponsoring his search for this schema to "create mroe warforged for his cause" but really just wants LoB to create warforged host bodies. That...Sounds...Awesome!Not that they can't be infiltrating House Cannith too. That would probably make it easier to get it into the LoBster's hands.

They could get anyone to make warforged host bodies, but if they get into the LoB's group they could rouse him to war, maybe get him to build an eldritch machine superweapon which explodes the brains of humanoids. Once he's caused some damage, an army from Riedra arrives and defeats the warforged (the superweapon conveniently breaks down or does not work on them), gaining the adoration of the public. At the same time, Inspired infiltrators take advantage of the chaos to get into positions of power. Heck, if the damage is great enough and the defeat is not conclusive, soldiers might stick around to train people for "increased mental resistance" (actually making it easier for them to be possessed).

The Lords of Dust are generally better at infiltrating existing groups (rather than posing as benign ones). Maybe they've infiltrated House Cannith and are trying to stop the quori plot since, according to the Prophecy, if it succeeds it will prevent them from freeing a rajah hundreds of years from now.

hamishspence
2010-07-30, 06:31 AM
This is an interesting one for a not-entirely-serious campaign.

House Cannith, during the Last War- constructed experimental mini-warforged, and disguised them as fluffy toys, substituting them for an existing batch of toys. The plan was for them to rampage when triggered, thus causing enough trouble and confusion for the attacking army to win handily. Unfortunately, they went out of control, started attacking everybody, and couldn't be controlled. Eventually they were driven into the forests, where they went into a cycling mode- periods of dormancy, followed by periods of aggressive activity where they attack, kill, and eat people, using their energies to fuel themselves.

The heroes have to put a stop to this menace.

The adventure would be called:

If you go down to the woods today...

FuryOfMetal
2010-07-30, 11:36 AM
Snip

That's a great idea for some comic relief :P I'll probably include that at some point when my PC's trek into the mournlands later on to confront the LoB. Maybe a whole dungeon level populated with these things

@Prime

I'm trying to limit the groups involved as nobody in the group really has alot of experience with Eberron, with one of my players being brand new aswell. I'll probably be running games in Eberron for my group of friends for a while to come as we all think it's a great, vibrant setting. So this leaves me with alot of scope for the future so i don't want to bombard my players with all the different factions in one campaign. I'd rather they become attached to or develop a deep hatred for specific groups over time instead of throwing them all at the players. But still you gave me alot of ideas to think over so thanks :)

Count D20
2010-07-30, 01:11 PM
Some royal family (I don't know too much about eberron) has a daughter who is born with no limbs.
They get artificers to make series of prosthesis for her as she grows.
At a certain age the royals have to do a ritual of coronation that requires nudity.
Her parents want her to submit to experimental procedures to grow natural limbs because her condition is a deep dark secret for them.
The princess feels no shame about her condition and wants to reveal it.
She hires the party to hide her until the big day.

FuryOfMetal
2010-07-30, 04:25 PM
Some royal family (I don't know too much about eberron) has a daughter who is born with no limbs.
They get artificers to make series of prosthesis for her as she grows.
At a certain age the royals have to do a ritual of coronation that requires nudity.
Her parents want her to submit to experimental procedures to grow natural limbs because her condition is a deep dark secret for them.
The princess feels no shame about her condition and wants to reveal it.
She hires the party to hide her until the big day.

Maybe as a filler campaign for 5 or 6 sessions :) that'd be alot of fun and my group would never be able to take that very seriously, which is fine because it'd be a nice break from a full campaign. Another for the campaign ideas box!

Awnetu
2010-07-31, 12:08 AM
Maybe a third party in the plot involving the forges? My Current dm is running a campaign with large numbers of clockwork enemies, and he introduced a third faction into the war between Clockworks/Constructs vs Living creatures.

The third faction works similar to the Flood from halo/Zerg from Starcraft, with aberattions overpowering both sides in remote bases and starting to become a larger threat. This would provide a chance for a darker atmosphere if you so choose as well as give you a chance to bring in Mindflayers/Psionics (I always thought they were imposing villains.)

Count D20
2010-08-02, 11:50 AM
Maybe a third party in the plot involving the forges? My Current dm is running a campaign with large numbers of clockwork enemies, and he introduced a third faction into the war between Clockworks/Constructs vs Living creatures.

The third faction works similar to the Flood from halo/Zerg from Starcraft, with aberattions overpowering both sides in remote bases and starting to become a larger threat. This would provide a chance for a darker atmosphere if you so choose as well as give you a chance to bring in Mindflayers/Psionics (I always thought they were imposing villains.)

Did you know that they can eat warforged brains?:smalleek:

Silly Wizard
2010-08-02, 12:33 PM
I am actually DMing an Eberron game right now. It's based around Aundair at mid-heroic, after the PCs made a name for themselves. Queen Aurala tries to hire out the PCs to investigate some murders by a group of revolutionaries, but her brother Magister Adal is running the revolution and tries to hire the PCs as well. Whichever side they pick is whichever side they fight on during the pre-war conflict, leading out to the PCs either starting a full-fledged civil war or quelling a rebellion.

Zagaroth
2010-08-20, 08:03 PM
Ah,. perfect, I have campaign plots to steal now! mwahahaha!

hey, I already stole the Sky pirates idea.. and hopefully won't have to impose to many of the stated rules.

*sighs* shifters are not Nekos has already been put into effect however. And that player has a changeling.. with multiple personalities. One of them a female shifter. All personalities share the same stat/skill/feat/class abilities, just use them in different styles.

Coidzor
2010-08-20, 09:52 PM
*sighs* shifters are not Nekos has already been put into effect however. And that player has a changeling.. with multiple personalities. One of them a female shifter. All personalities share the same stat/skill/feat/class abilities, just use them in different styles.

Heh, now that does sound nifty for something of a higher tier that can actually refocus itself on the task at hand...

Zagaroth
2010-08-29, 08:00 PM
An army of pepper pot shaped creatures has entered the world from a portal armed with wands of disintegration they have one battle-cry
EX-TER-MI-NATE

Oh, and this one... two of my friends knew Doctor Who before I did, so no...

and I'm talking old school, Tom Baker and crew. Though I am really digging the new stuff too.

As for the changeling, player is relatively new, so probably not going to be as efficient as he'd like. But Artificer is flexible, we'll see how he does. I think he's planning on making Cestus for the 'shifter' personality. At least he has a good story for the multiple personality, child hood trauma involving the death of his friends, persona's created as tributes, and in his grief, lost his own self, for now. That's be the 6th, 'hidden' personality that is the true him/her/it/whatever. Stupid changelings...

JoshuaZ
2010-08-29, 08:29 PM
Other campaign ideas(some with more details than others):

What happened to the original psiforged? Possible answer- it turns out that the creation of the warforged and then the psiforged were part of a massive Xanatos gambit by something on the plane of madness that is very psionic, very nasty and wants to come to realign the planes somehow using the psiforged.
The Illithids have discovered how to make Elder Brains. This is going to make them much more organized.
Vol has found a way of getting her Mark to function even when she's dead. But it requires simultaneously killing a few million people.
Something is causing divine magic all over Eberron to not function.
Vol has apparently privately approached Jaela saying she wants to repent of her sins and convert to the Silver Flame. Your party must figure out what is going on. (She might even be sincere.)
The quori and the Lords of Dust have made an alliance.

AslanCross
2010-08-30, 02:48 AM
*sighs* shifters are not Nekos has already been put into effect however.

Shifters don't have to be catgirls to be awesome.

They don't need to look like Mel Gibson either. (http://aslancross.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2dp49a)

Tetrasodium
2010-08-30, 07:34 AM
I'm trying to limit the groups involved as nobody in the group really has alot of experience with Eberron, with one of my players being brand new aswell. I'll probably be running games in Eberron for my group of friends for a while to come as we all think it's a great, vibrant setting. So this leaves me with alot of scope for the future so i don't want to bombard my players with all the different factions in one campaign. I'd rather they become attached to or develop a deep hatred for specific groups over time instead of throwing them all at the players. But still you gave me alot of ideas to think over so thanks :)

There are a lot of universities for magic/adventure, and exploration/research societies for learning about way over there and way back then. Why not hire the PC's and get them situated through a npc that helps keep them in the know? Another possibility is to decree that they all be warforged, warforged have a good excuse for not knowing about the world :). Make them those more recent warforged turned loose in the street after Merrix or LoB made them post treaty and even more reason for them to not understand the world.

Zagaroth
2010-09-21, 02:44 AM
Actually, I did come up with a nice idea for Vol.. through a long, ardous process, she sorta got a clone spell going, to create a new, living body that could potentially have the mark of Death upon her. However, there are a few twists...

A) She's more interested in linking to an unconscious clone body with an active mark and trying to find a way to use that to fuel her mark, than inhabiting a living body again.

B) see, because of her state, it actually required creating a clone via the slow-growth method, and closer to how science does it. Naturally, through 'random circumstance' the players have now raided the blood of vol facility that was keeping the body secure & asleep while it grew up.

They now half a 12 year old looking elf girl on their hands, with no memory or knowledge, other than the basics of 3 languages (the body was sort of pre-programmed with that and basic motor skills, in case anything went wrong), whom they've now named Ona.

Now I'm going to need to keep them busy with some side adventures while they slowly get the opportunity to puzzle things out.

hamishspence
2010-09-21, 02:56 AM
Reminds me a little of the Skilgannon the Damned fantasy books by David Gemmell- the villain, after having been brought back via cloning (and a little magic to ensure the spirit returns to the body- has taken over a large part of the world, and has been cloning themselves for centuries- and possessing the clones.

Her right hand man has left her service, and cloned himself a version of her, in the hope of being able to form a relationship with the clone (since the original has dumped him.

The villain "The Eternal" now seeks the clone, in the hope of possessing her when the time is right.

On the Vol clone- shouldn't it be a half-dragon elf girl? or did Vol leave the dragon parts out of the cloning process?

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-21, 04:05 AM
Also if Vol cloned herself magically would she create a pre-packaged baby lich? As the magic would copy her current form exactly.

Doing it the current scientific way wouldn't work as me and my players discussed reproduction and half dragons and came to the conclusion that half dragons probably have downs syndrome due to the amount of chromosomes floating around. (No offence to downs syndrome, just that's the logical solution we came up with....BAH! logic? in a world with magic?)

Galileo
2010-09-21, 04:24 AM
How about a new lightning rail, travelling across almost the entire continent? The party is on the inaugural trip, and one of the major House representatives is found dead shortly after departure. They could call it... Murder on the Orien Express.

I don't care how damn obvious that joke was, I still like it.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-21, 09:01 AM
*groan* But that could still be alot of fun :smallamused: Anything involving the lightning rail is fun, ESPECIALLY when you're not just travelling on it.

Greenish
2010-09-21, 09:07 AM
How about a new lightning rail, travelling across almost the entire continent? The party is on the inaugural trip, and one of the major House representatives is found dead shortly after departure. They could call it... Murder on the Orien Express.That'd be a follow-up on a campaign to re-built the Lighting Road through the Mournland, or a quest to convince Karrnathi and Aundairian auctorities to allow rebuilding the bridge over Scion's Sound.

Ormagoden
2010-09-21, 11:03 AM
Robots Vs. Ninja
Robots Vs. Lizard folk
Robots Vs. The world
Robots Vs. Ninja
Robots Vs. Gnolls flying on floating surfboards made of crystal

I could go on but you get the idea...

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-21, 12:57 PM
Robots vs Robots!
Robots vs Those dang wizards!
Robots vs The Playground

I could give you decent odds :smallamused:

Prime32
2010-09-21, 01:30 PM
Robots vs Robots!I'll put 3 platinum on the Robots.

Actually, I did come up with a nice idea for Vol.. through a long, ardous process, she sorta got a clone spell going, to create a new, living body that could potentially have the mark of Death upon her. However, there are a few twists...

A) She's more interested in linking to an unconscious clone body with an active mark and trying to find a way to use that to fuel her mark, than inhabiting a living body again.

B) see, because of her state, it actually required creating a clone via the slow-growth method, and closer to how science does it. Naturally, through 'random circumstance' the players have now raided the blood of vol facility that was keeping the body secure & asleep while it grew up.

They now half a 12 year old looking elf girl on their hands, with no memory or knowledge, other than the basics of 3 languages (the body was sort of pre-programmed with that and basic motor skills, in case anything went wrong), whom they've now named Ona.

Now I'm going to need to keep them busy with some side adventures while they slowly get the opportunity to puzzle things out.Little girl, ey?

The PCs witness a man and his daughter being attacked. The man brandishes a Silver Flame holy symbol before being defeated, and his "daughter" turns out to be Pontiff Jaela Daran in disguise. She had wanted to see the world outside Flamekeep, and he was a loyal priest who accompanied her. Only a small number of people know she left, with a changeling taking her place. Except that it turns out that the changeling isn't as loyal as they thought. The PCs now have to travel through hostile terrain while fending off assassination attempts and trying to figure out how to reinstate her. Making things more complicated, Jaela insists on bringing the body of her "father" so that she can resurrect him after they get to Flamekeep. Not only is it difficult to conceal, but the assassins can track it somehow.

Greenish
2010-09-21, 01:39 PM
Robots vs The PlaygroundI'll put three platinum on the robots. :smallwink:

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-21, 02:20 PM
The PCs witness a man and his daughter being attacked. The man brandishes a Silver Flame holy symbol before being defeated, and his "daughter" turns out to be Pontiff Jaela Daran in disguise. She had wanted to see the world outside Flamekeep, and he was a loyal priest who accompanied her. Only a small number of people know she left, with a changeling taking her place. Except that it turns out that the changeling isn't as loyal as they thought. The PCs now have to travel through hostile terrain while fending off assassination attempts and trying to figure out how to reinstate her. Making things more complicated, Jaela insists on bringing the body of her "father" so that she can resurrect him after they get to Flamekeep. Not only is it difficult to conceal, but the assassins can track it somehow.

THAT is awesome. That'd be great fun to play and to DM.

I personally place 2 platinum on the playground and as we know, the house always wins :smallwink: So shall we skip the pleasantries and everybody just hand over the money?

Zagaroth
2010-09-24, 09:24 AM
That is fairly awesome, though do remember, the church of the silver flame believes resurrection to be immoral, as it pulls the spirit away from joining the Holy Flame.

She is half-dragon, but that doesn't mean it's visible. Especially as my half-dragon rules have their breath, wings, and vision all following the Heart, Wings, and Mind paths of the dragon born from Races of the Dragon, so when she starts growing up more

And the clone spell, which normally requires recently living flesh, creates an inert but un-rotted body. But since Vol didn't have the normal requirements for that spell (flesh harvested while alive), she had to research something unique. The result was something of a pains, if she let her new body be awake and grow, there'd be a person there who could fight back. WHy does it work this way? It's magic! (and more fun).

So instead, this clone's been asleep since birth, though with some language skills (common, elven, draconic) and motor skills programmed in. Official explanation: as a contingency back up, the girl would be able to run away from danger, and could be tracked down later for use with a Trap the Soul gem. Quicker and easier than starting a new slow-growth clone.

Real Reason: Um, looks like she's 12 years old, though as an elf obviously older, but she has the mental development of a new born... not as much fun to deal with. Oh good, potty training time... And that's more obvious what happened. My players are clever.