PDA

View Full Version : hauling around massive amounts of currency

Harris the Ford
2010-07-27, 02:44 PM
In one of the campaigns I'm in (3.5) we robbed a bank and made away with 3.5 M gp. We converted it all to platinum but that's still 3 and a half tons. I'm looking for a better way of lugging this coin around besides strapping 5 bags of holding to my mount. Of course I generally don't leave my lair with all of that money at once but I will need a way to move it once we have a place to store it in the negative energy plane.

Saya
2010-07-27, 02:51 PM
Wagons and Mules are cheap, and each mule can pull 3450lbs, and are willing, but not eager, to enter dungeons.

unimaginable
2010-07-27, 02:54 PM
Bags of holding are obvious. Converting it into gems instead of pp can help too.

gallagher
2010-07-27, 02:57 PM
In one of the campaigns I'm in (3.5) we robbed a bank and made away with 3.5 M gp. We converted it all to platinum but that's still 3 and a half tons. I'm looking for a better way of lugging this coin around besides strapping 5 bags of holding to my mount. Of course I generally don't leave my lair with all of that money at once but I will need a way to move it once we have a place to store it in the negative energy plane.

buy a bunch of bags of holding? you definitely have the cash.

you could always have a teleportation circle

Cravix
2010-07-27, 02:57 PM

Is this an epic campaign ?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-27, 03:15 PM

I don't know, but any bank that has that much gold before a global economy is kind of a stretch. Especially because banks don't keep all their money.

LibraryOgre
2010-07-27, 03:18 PM
Instead of bags of holding, go with a portable hole, which has no weight, just volume, limit. At 350,000 coins, it likely wouldn't overflow the hole.

Lysander
2010-07-27, 03:23 PM
Why not let the money walk under its own power (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030901a)?

Harris the Ford
2010-07-27, 03:28 PM

It will be soon, we are lvl 15 atm. It was less a bank and more of ”capital city kingdom coffers" there was plenty more money in there but the city was under attack by an invading army of spider mounted lvl25 drow fighter, so we had to run. We took what we could carry (after buying out every bag of holding in the city) and skedaddled. Unfortunately now with the capital city gone there is no place to spend all our money!

The jewels idea sounds good though, ill have to look into that. I am a little weary of pickpocketers though, I think I'm gonna try to get a symbol of death permanancied on the flap of the bag of holding and attune myself and teammate to it. I just think it would be funny walking through town square and killing everyone within 60 feet because some hungry orphan tried opening my bag!

Telonius
2010-07-27, 03:31 PM
If portable holes and the like aren't options, Put the gold in chests, and use Shrink Item. Duration is days/level. It makes things 1/4000th the original mass and volume. So unless you've got Uncle Scrooge's Money Bin on your backs, you should be good.

EDIT: You know, thinking about it, I'd probably give bonus XP if a player bought a gigantic bag with a dollar sign on it to carry it all in. Just for the sheer Haley-ish awesomeness.

Draz74
2010-07-27, 03:35 PM
Let's be honest, the really simple answer here is "buy a lot of really powerful magic items you want to wear." Besides their combat or utility uses, they're also the most compact form to store one's wealth in.

Besides that, check if there's some super-compact Interplanar Currency or something, a la 4e.

Also note there are a couple of affordable magic items that greatly increase a creature's carrying capacity. It would be hilarious if all your mules wore +1 Easy Travel Barding, more for the carrying capacity boost than for the physical protection. :smallamused:

Harris the Ford
2010-07-27, 04:33 PM
Let's be honest, the really simple answer here is "buy a lot of really powerful magic items you want to wear."

Trust me I would if I could, I had to discover an ancient long lost race of dwarves and spend 200k just to buy a +8 longsword!

Greenish
2010-07-27, 04:46 PM
Trust me I would if I could, I had to discover an ancient long lost race of dwarves and spend 200k just to buy a +8 longsword!Don't buy epic. Not worth the money.

Siosilvar
2010-07-27, 05:03 PM
Economy notes I've made:
Hiring someone to cast secret chest for you. Should be around 5000 gold and will carry 500,000 gp or roughly 450,000 pp (already rounded down to account for loose space).

Scrolls of true ressurection cost 28,825 gp and take up little space. Any city of 12000 or more (by DMG p137) should have a few available.

Pearls of power are another compact money form. Costing 1000 to 81000 gold, they provide useful benefits for any spellcaster (and thus, the majority of people who have enough money to buy or make them).

As for less practical and more awesome methods... build an airship using enough money that it can carry the money that's left. Major creation and fabricate are excellent ideas if you don't have a few years to spend and need to fly under the radar - and if you've stolen 3.5 million, you definitely need to hide it!

TooManyBadgers
2010-07-27, 08:00 PM
Isn't this what gems are for?

Or, once you hit a certain point, magic gems.

Siosilvar
2010-07-27, 08:02 PM
Isn't this what gems are for?

Or, once you hit a certain point, magic gems.

Pearls of power, yes.

Or... a gem of true seeing.

I'm sure there's plenty of other magic gems outside of core.

Escheton
2010-07-27, 08:08 PM
(Liquid) platinum golems?

Harris the Ford
2010-07-27, 08:08 PM
Don't buy epic. Not worth the money.

+8 cumulative bonus, its vampiric and speed with a +3 enhancement.

Furnok
2010-07-27, 08:14 PM
Buy a **** ton of normal gems, a 10,000gp ruby doesnt weight very much.

Mojo_Rat
2010-07-27, 08:15 PM
im curious where you found somone willing to convert 3 million gold with no questions asked :P

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-27, 08:22 PM
The next kingdom over that the drow are going to hit next. They will be straped for cash raiseing an army. Pretend to be diplomats from another kingdom and offer to dump a lot of gold for gems.

Double points if you can get out with the gems and the gold at the same time.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-27, 08:30 PM
One Portable Hole is all you need. It'll be generally useful in the future, after you've had a chance to spend your coin. The other solutions are really wastes of time and money. You'll only need gems if you're going to be casting spells that require such as material components.

Beorn080
2010-07-27, 08:34 PM
I'm gonna go way off the wall here.

Bury it.

Find some nice, high, remote mountain peak, some quick telekinesis, and bury the load. For bonus points, bury it in a small Large room, and shove a ring gate in. If you need extended range, you can bury ring gates facing each other along the way, extending the range, assuming you can't afford an unlimited range, same plane version. When you need cash, reach in and take it.

Don't forget, if you can swing the unlimited range variant, this makes an excellent place to store craft golems and other fun things. Or ballista's.

Jack_Simth
2010-07-27, 08:36 PM
One Portable Hole is all you need. It'll be generally useful in the future, after you've had a chance to spend your coin. The other solutions are really wastes of time and money. You'll only need gems if you're going to be casting spells that require such as material components.
Gems are also usually trade goods.... but yes, Portable Hole.

Metals are very, very dense. Even allowing for 50% wasted space for being in coins, rather than blocks, that 3.5 tons of metal is less than 9 cubic feet. That six foot diameter Portable Hole, ten feet deep? It's got a "floor area" of a bit over 28 square feet - which means you only fill three or four inches of your ten foot depth. You could take that in gold or silver without filling a Portable Hole.

Acero
2010-07-27, 08:44 PM
Melt them down and forge it ino mounts for your entire party with Animate Object. (bonus points if they are griffons)

Or a platinum dragon. That works too.

Azernak0
2010-07-27, 08:54 PM
I would burn as much of it as possible on protection. If I were King of a city that was attacked by a huge force and noticed 3.5 million missing from the city coffers, I would be paying Mordenkainen to make an example of the culprits to show what happens to people that steal from the kingdom during a large crisis.

Expect some Scry and Die, or at least every peasant to come after you with pitchforks.

Criptfeind
2010-07-27, 08:54 PM
Go buy some really high level souls. It is the most stylish way of carrying around wealth.

Edit: Or not... it would take some really really high level souls to help much. Perhaps by some hope or some pure evil?

Ilmryn
2010-07-27, 08:58 PM
There was one 3.5 book (I think it was Epic, but I'm not sure) that had a system for paper money. Basically, there was a temple to a god of wealth that would sell certificates redeemable for spellcasting, and these certificates would then be used as currency.

Harris the Ford
2010-07-27, 09:08 PM
I would burn as much of it as possible on protection. If I were King of a city that was attacked by a huge force and noticed 3.5 million missing from the city coffers, I would be paying Mordenkainen to make an example of the culprits to show what happens to people that steal from the kingdom during a large crisis.

Expect some Scry and Die, or at least every peasant to come after you with pitchforks.

Hahahahahaha sorry but no, the reason we stole from the coffers was because the king got killed. Ever since then we have been going around genociding kingdoms and capitals, regicide is happening on a near sessionly basis. We have pissed off Pelor and he is sending a paladin to kill us (assassadin?) but I've seen his character sheet, guys a chump.

deuxhero
2010-07-27, 09:21 PM
Don't underestimate The Burning Hate. The misguided Paladins are on the VERY low end of His power.

Also, how is there more than 1 level 25 character and a monarchy that you can kill at level 15?

Beorn080
2010-07-27, 09:23 PM
Plus, he's currently on a mission from Pelor. That sheet might have Disguise Sheet cast on it.

devinkowalczyk
2010-07-27, 09:59 PM
Purchase a land, kingdom, or castle.
This will create a nice save haven for what you have left

if you have a base, use 3.0/3.5 stronghold builders guide to make it awesome

Coidzor
2010-07-27, 10:14 PM
Bags of holding are obvious. Converting it into gems instead of pp can help too.

One better. Convert into SOULS.

Kaun
2010-07-27, 10:44 PM
isnt the theroy that anything over the value of 150k cant be bought with gold anyway?

Simply because beings that have surplus items of that value or more have little to no interest in gold as currancy?

Criptfeind
2010-07-27, 11:30 PM
One better. Convert into SOULS.

I already said that. Also a CR 20 soul is only worth 40k anyway so it will take quite a bit of souls, or some REALLY powerful ones, to store his wealth.

Harris the Ford
2010-07-28, 12:44 PM
Don't underestimate The Burning Hate. The misguided Paladins are on the VERY low end of His power.

Also, how is there more than 1 level 25 character and a monarchy that you can kill at level 15?

Yeah that was more of my character talking, he's a ****. We never actually fought any of them, the kings we did kill weren't quite ad powerful as we expected. Also we have a pretty nasty scry and die method.

Cravix
2010-07-28, 04:51 PM
Looks like it is time to build an army to take over the world with.

Randel
2010-07-28, 05:45 PM
Yeah, if there are level 25 drow fighters running around destroying kingdoms then I would recommend starting your own kingdom (or taking one over) and see about using that money to form an empire that isn't likely to get conquered by whatever is running around killing people. Though if you are the ones causing trouble then all you have to do is avoid conquering yourselves and you've got a good amount of that covered.

Start a kingdom, raise an army of powerful soldiers, cheese out as much magic as you need to keep things running and protect your city... and have plenty of commoners and industry all over the place to support your empire.

Then work to deal with all those monsters attacking people and the paladin after you... if it works then you can take over the world and bend the economy enough so that you can spend money on stuff. If it fails then at least you spent money on stuff.

Or you could just have a bunch of gold in bags of holding, lay it out as bait, wait for monsters to come, kill them, then level up from the XP until something happens and you can rend the world asunder with your mighty attacks.

Harris the Ford
2010-07-29, 09:19 AM
Oh btw, one of our party is a necromancer, we have an underground city full of undead collosal spiders, kobolds, trolls. Right now er are setting sights on trying to become deities, but that's subject for a different thread.