PDA

View Full Version : Longbow wielding

Criptfeind
2010-07-27, 02:58 PM
So I got a question. It is about longbows. From the SDR
You need at least two hands to use a bow, regardless of its size.Does that mean I need to have two hands to attack with it or does that mean I need two hands to wield it?

I ask this because I am making a wizard (Elf) and I want to know if I can still cast spells when I have a longbow in hand.

Tyger
2010-07-27, 03:03 PM
So I got a question. It is about longbows. From the SDRDoes that mean I need to have two hands to attack with it or does that mean I need two hands to wield it?

I ask this because I am making a wizard (Elf) and I want to know if I can still cast spells when I have a longbow in hand.

Well, unless you are "using" the bow, i.e. shooting an arrow, then you don't have to worry about it.

There is a rule somewhere (and my srd-search-fu failed me finding it) that speaks to two handed weapons being held in one hand whilst you cast a spell.... so its RAW to do exactly what you are talking about.

ericgrau
2010-07-27, 03:04 PM
Well even if you don't use common sense by RAW holding and wielding are two different things. Yes, you may cast spells. Likewise two-handed weapons may be held in 1 hand, though not swung this way. A semi-related note is that your shield hand may hold other objects like a torch, but it can't be used to swing a weapon (exception: buckler) or cast spells or etc. So you could wield both a buckler and a bow in your left hand, and since you pull back the string and cast with your right hand you may do both without penalty. If you use a mithril buckler there isn't even a spell failure chance.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-27, 03:05 PM
Wielding is really just an issue with melee weapons, because you only threaten with a weapon you wield. Excepting some very special circumstances, you don't threaten with ranged weapons.

Criptfeind
2010-07-27, 03:14 PM
There is a rule somewhere (and my srd-search-fu failed me finding it) that speaks to two handed weapons being held in one hand whilst you cast a spell.... so its RAW to do exactly what you are talking about.

Sweet. I did not know this. Thanks guys.

Kantolin
2010-07-27, 03:23 PM
If you couldn't, then wizards couldn't use staves, which would certainly not be RAI, if nothing else. :P