PDA

View Full Version : This is my Boomstick, Help Needed with Gun Toting Ranger. [Pathfinder]

Ravens_cry
2010-07-27, 03:55 PM
I have convinced my DM to let me play a gun toting ranger from Arkenstar in an upcoming Pathfinder campaign, Kingmaker if you are or have played it.
But I have no idea how to build a ranger, least of all one who uses a musket. I want to be able to craft my own guns and ammo, as we are going to be out in the boonies and I want to be effective in combat.
The resources available are anything from the SRD, and 25 point buy Pathfinder style. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores)I might be able to squeeze in a home-brew feat similar to Rapid Reload but for firearms. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/rapid-reload-combat---final)
Help me Giants in the Playground, You are my Only Hope.

Ormagoden
2010-07-27, 03:57 PM
Kobold quarterly issue #13 will intrest you VERY much. Inside you will find the Arqebusier class. It's based entirely on guns and functions VERY well.

LibraryOgre
2010-07-27, 04:00 PM
Truthfully, once you've got the firearm past the DM, the rest falls pretty naturally to ranger, especially the ranged type. Far Shot, Rapid Reload (if he'll let you), precise shot. Might want to look into a bayonet, of course.

EDIT: A couple good sources, if you're interested in gaming with muskets, is to take a look at either Joel Rosenberg's "Guardians of the Flame" series or S.M. Stirling's Nantucket Trilogy (Island in the Sea of Time, On the Oceans of Eternity, and Against the Tide of Years). These talk about some of the difficulties that will keep a random adventurer with a gun from just turning out the advances that turn firearms from "useful shock weapons" into "the primary weapon of the world."

Eldan
2010-07-27, 04:01 PM
Depends on how firearms work in your ruleset, but get Rapid Reload as fast as you can: most firearms I've seen have very long load times.
If your DM lets you use homebrew, look up the Black Rain Discipline from Age of Warriors.

Ravens_cry
2010-07-27, 04:09 PM
My ability scores are
STR: 12
DEX:16 (18 with human +2)
CON: 14
INT: 14
WIS 14
CHA: 10
We haven't started play yet, so it's all up in the air. Could I do better?

Ormagoden
2010-07-27, 04:33 PM
I have bad spelling what can I say, but here is the article you'll be interested in Kobold Quarterly #13

*A New Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Base Class: the Arquebusier of Alkenstar

It's a gun toting class written specifically for gun users from where your character is from... couldn't be more perfect!

Ravens_cry
2010-07-27, 04:43 PM
I'll have to look at that Arquebusier of Alkenstar, thanks. Because playing a ranger, while MOST thematic, doesn't exactly fit either.