PDA

View Full Version : hey wait a second,

grimbold
2010-07-27, 04:41 PM
ok has anybody else realized that medieval knights did not simply wear a full plate armor suit? they first put on *ahem* LEATHER ARMOR +2 ac, and then a CHAIN MAIL shirt +3 ac and finally a full platebody +8 ac...

does anybody else have an issue with this. looking at the other armors it seems tat this was not considered in the making of d&d.
Also for the record knights had excellent movement in their armor. People who can do cartwheels, can after a little training do cartwheels in full armor. i am also wondering if this should just be taken out.

Xallace
2010-07-27, 04:42 PM
I believe that full plate is assumed to have the other layers underneath, which accounts in part for the high AC bonus it grants.

Spiryt
2010-07-27, 04:45 PM
Nobody was wearing leather under armor.

I don't know where this stereotype about medieval being some Leather Parade came from.

Purely leather armor was generally rare around the world, let alone Europe.

Secondly, whole shirt of mail was rarely worn under full plate.

Next, the armors as they stand already are "final" product - armors as they should be worn.

Finally, it's freaking D&D and why should this particular aspect be so carefully treated?

It's not like D&D armors make too much sense anyway.

Eldan
2010-07-27, 04:47 PM
The Players handbook mentions that: a suit of full plate includes padding, pieces of chainmail, gauntlets, a helmet, boots and so on. All included in the +8.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-27, 04:47 PM
ok has anybody else realized that medieval knights did not simply wear a full plate armor suit? they first put on *ahem* LEATHER ARMOR +2 ac, and then a CHAIN MAIL shirt +3 ac and finally a full platebody +8 ac...

does anybody else have an issue with this. looking at the other armors it seems tat this was not considered in the making of d&d.
Also for the record knights had excellent movement in their armor. People who can do cartwheels, can after a little training do cartwheels in full armor. i am also wondering if this should just be taken out.

The suit includes gauntlets, heavy leather boots, a visored helmet, and a thick layer of padding that is worn underneath the armor. Each suit of full plate must be individually fitted to its owner by a master armorsmith, although a captured suit can be resized to fit a new owner at a cost of 200 to 800 (2d4×100) gold pieces.
OH MY GOD! They did think about it, even if not much.
It's already said that armor doesn't stack with itself anyway. Wearing two pieces of armor would only encumber you.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-27, 04:50 PM
I believe that full plate is assumed to have the other layers underneath, which accounts in part for the high AC bonus it grants.

Yeah. Read the armor description. It says a chainmail shirt comes with protective padding underneath (probably leather armor) and a helmet. A HELMET. How many people that buy that picture their character wearing a helmet. Elan should be wearing one before he joined his PrC.