PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dude, Where's My Film?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-07-27, 06:19 PM
There is a portion of a movie I saw while installing a cable satellite last year. Just happened to recall the scene, but have no idea what the movie is.

Scene
This guy was being pulled out of a large window or door by some kind of demon/angel thing flapping its wings, though no one else could see it. There were two folks watching him from within the room. He was holding on for dear life to the frame but the winged thing finally managed to pull him out and I believe he falls to his death.

The scene outside was like very post-apocalyptic urban looking, though for all I know a bomb could have recently gone off or something.

/endscene

Any ideas?

TheLaughingMan
2010-07-27, 06:20 PM
Angels and Demons?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-07-27, 06:22 PM
There actually angels and demons in that film? I hadn't heard anything supernatural occurred in it.

Innis Cabal
2010-07-27, 06:23 PM
No, its not Angels and Demons.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-27, 06:26 PM
Sounds sort of like Max Payne.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-07-27, 06:32 PM
Sounds sort of like Max Payne.
I think that's it.

Google search of the scene... yup, that's it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_d2eBY9yF6m4/SO7vhCwrGpI/AAAAAAAAERM/fGDgxAFNN_o/s400/Max+Payne+Angel+1.jpg

http://blog.starwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/max_payne_movie21.jpg

So, is it any good?

Dr.Epic
2010-07-27, 06:39 PM
So, is it any good?

I didn't think it was too good, but then again, few films based of video games are good. I just didn't like all the inaccurate references to Norse mythology.

Sillycomic
2010-07-27, 06:59 PM
If you like the video game at all, you will be sorely disappointed.

As far as a movie goes? It just plain sucks. The video game itself was based on a hard boiled detective with a clear cut villain that killed his family, so he's got nothing but revenge to cut down everyone that gets in his way.

So, with that premise… there's hardly any action in the movie, most of the plot makes no sense, and there’s way too much exposition!!!!

Plus there are some stupid plot jumps.... (I'll spoiler it for those who haven't seen the movie but want to)

Max Payne has been extensively going over the case file of his own wife and child’s murder for the past 2 years. Then one day he kills a random guy with one of those demon winged tattoos. Then, he notices one of the guys in the crime scene photos of his family’s murder has the same tattoo.

Then max payne goes into a tattoo parler and asks about it, and gets answers on where to go next. What? This took two freaking years? I would imagine if some guy had a particular tattoo on his arm, and he killed my wife, I would ask around about it… especially if I had no other leads! Just random stuff like that got to me.

Mark Wahlberg wasn’t an amazing casting choice for Max Payne, but he did all right. I would have rather had someone a little sharper and more foul mouthed personally… someone who can throw away those gravelly voiced one liners like in the video game, but whatevers.

Mila Kunis, is the cute bopper cheerleader from That 70’s show. Why they ever cast her as a cold harded hit woman is beyond me. She looked like she could barely walk in the heels they gave her, much less kill anyone.
Plus there was no dark flirty chemistry between them, which is kinda what Max Payne is known for…

I guess when you compare it to Super Mario Brothers, or Mortal Kombat… at least this movie has a sense of style and playing with themes and tries to be a movie. However, this one fails miserably in my opinion.

The sad part is… if you have played the video game, you would know that the dialogue, plot, and key fighting scenes are already explained very well to the script writers. Why they decided to chuck that all out the window and go on some random direction is beyond me.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-07-27, 10:40 PM
*shrugs*

Never even heard of the game.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-27, 11:50 PM
*shrugs*

Neither did I until I saw the movie.

GolemsVoice
2010-07-28, 12:14 AM
I saw the movie before I played the game, but played the game later. I didn't find it too bad. I'd say it was OK. Nothing fancy.

Fri
2010-07-29, 02:01 PM
it's a case of 'seinfield is unfunny'

It was really awesome from both gameplay and presentation style point of view back then.

Jahkaivah
2010-07-29, 02:33 PM
*shrugs*

Neither did I until I saw the movie.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/saxcsa/PayneDissaproves.jpg

Mr Payne disapproves.

Lord Loss
2010-07-29, 02:36 PM
The movie was really really really really really (needs more really, but whatever) bad. I,ve yet to try the game.

Jahkaivah
2010-07-29, 02:45 PM
I,ve yet to try the game.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/saxcsa/PayneDissapproves2.png

TheLaughingMan
2010-07-29, 05:52 PM
"The cold night unfolded. In front of me, those eyes, slits of white promising-"

"Max, stop it."

"Sorry, force of habit."

TheThan
2010-07-29, 07:52 PM
haven't seen the movie, haven't played the game. but from everyone's descriptions, I'm amazed Hollywood managed to screw up such a basic "hardboiled cop" story.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-29, 07:58 PM
haven't seen the movie, haven't played the game. but from everyone's descriptions, I'm amazed Hollywood managed to screw up such a basic "hardboiled cop" story.

Hollywood

There's your answer.

Makensha
2010-07-29, 09:47 PM
I didn't think the movie was all that bad, but it was boring and without redeeming qualities. So... I guess it was bad.

Bhu
2010-07-30, 12:41 PM
It's in my top 20 worst films of all time list.

Winter_Wolf
2010-07-30, 03:05 PM
Let's put it this way: I would not pay money to watch Max Payne (again). Because I did once, so learn from my mistake and save yourself some cash. It's 100% the kind of movie you watch if it's on TV in your pre-existing cable package.