PDA

View Full Version : Odd IC

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-27, 09:39 PM
You're mostly certain you're awake. Well, no amount of pain has worked to wake you up, anyway, and there's been plenty of that - for all the lack of sunlight (there appear to be brown clouds covering the whole sky), or living plants, or running water, there have been plenty of things.

Some of them are just rabbits, or mice. Ordinary. Except they hit you with all the force and fury of an innkeeper whose livelihood burned down in a fight, and you'd rather not look into their eyes because you're afraid you might not be able to look away.

And some of them are stranger. Twisted. Indescribable, almost, because when you look at them the second time they are entirely different than they were before. There are things that look like normal creatures, shoved together, owl's eyes on lion's claws - but those are not the worst. The worst are blurred, shadowy, always just beyond vision, calling your name in screams and whispers and the laughter of a thing that should never have learned how. The worst are waiting, knowing that they will not have to fight you, only wait until you follow their mournful cries.

And you're tired. So, so tired…

So when you wake up, you believe for a minute that they have found you. But nothing ripped out your throat in your sleep.

No.

There are four other people here, with normal eyes - no matter their form, it is the eyes that tell you their nature.

Your wounds are gone.

Far in the distance sits a little house, with crooked statues lining the way to its door.

The surroundings have barely changed, in one direction. The sky is the same dusty brown, a shade darker than the dead, crushed grass and dirt below. The same wind still whispers by, just a little too cold to be comfortable, just a little too loud to quite distinguish what must be the cries of the things behind.

There are, however, a few things different. For one, the barest hint of green spreads along the ground, growing higher and darker - though carefully trimmed to reach only a few inches of height. A grey path of crushed rocks winds through, flanked by short statues of fat, bearded men (with clothes that must have once been bright) shoved haphazardly into the ground. Several hundred yards away, a little house squats in a self-satisfied manner upon the grass, which dies away abruptly beyond.

And, of course, there are four other people, all within a few yards.

And they have eyes.

jojolagger
2010-07-27, 09:46 PM
"We stand a better chance if we work together. It looks like the house would be our best option." Says the translucent man floating about 2 feet off the ground.
ooc:claiming red

memnarch
2010-07-27, 10:07 PM
Nisse

Nisse looks back and forth between the other... eyes, as she sits on the ground. It is quiet here; not too many minds like the city. A quiet voice echoes into the floaty man's mind, And who might you be? It is polite to introduce one's self first before making statements like that.

OOC: Nisse gives no sign that she is the one communicating if ghost-guy (what's his name?) looks at her, but the voice does have a slight feminine tone to it. Claiming SeaGreen. Italics are thoughts to herself.

jojolagger
2010-07-27, 11:12 PM
"If I could give you a straight answer my life would be far easier. I'm using legion as a place holder, because every few hours my name as I remember it changes."

Savannah
2010-07-27, 11:20 PM
Keldan

The rather plain-looking man in scholar's clothes and a shabby backpack slowly sits up, wincing slightly. Careful observers might note a leather band around his neck with some sort of symbol stamped on it, and no signs of how it could be removed. He sizes up the others out of the corner of his eyes, keeping his head lowered.

His fists clench, and under his breath he hisses "Mariah", then quickly glances up to see if any of the others heard.

shadowedsoul
2010-07-28, 01:22 AM
Sherae

Sherae sits up slowly, glancing around furtively and sniffing the air before speaking.
Unnnh. That was unpleasant.
She says, shaking her head to clear out the cobwebs.
My name's Sherae.
She says after the floating man answers no one in particular.

Claiming Indigo

Is my animal companion here? I haven't actually statted it up yet, but I can get it done by tomorrow.

memnarch
2010-07-28, 02:28 AM
Nisse

Nisse stands up, checks to see if everything is working alright and says, And I am Nisse Skygge. Legion, Sherea, and... Mariah was it? I suppose by your earlier statement Legion that you had nothing to do with me coming here? She then quickly mutters to herself and her eyes faintly glow before returning to normal.

OOC: See the unseen activated.

Savannah
2010-07-28, 02:02 PM
Keldan

He looks up, startled, "Mariah? No, no, my name is Keldan. Mariah is...nevermind."

With a sigh, he stands up, sniffing slightly.

Using scent (from hunter's stance), specifically interested in whether there is anyone around besides my companions, but also trying to learn the scent of my companions.

memnarch
2010-07-28, 08:59 PM
Nisse

The pixie thinks to Keldan <Someone important to you I assume.> while looking meaningfully at him.

Nisse says Might as well see what the house is away. before quietly muttering again. People looking at her now think there may be something a little wrong with their vision.

OOC: Entropic Warding activated.

Active: See the Unseen, Entropic Warding

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-28, 10:00 PM
shadowedsoul:
Yep, animal companion's there. Forgot to mention it.
memnarch:
Past the house, you can barely make out the faint outline of a large city wall - it seems to waver in and out of your enhanced vision.
Savannah:
The faint smell of maybe two or three creatures lingers in the air. If you've used the scent ability before, you noticed that none of the things you've come across here before now had a distinct scent.
All:
Tell Savannah how you smell, please.

Savannah
2010-07-28, 10:08 PM
Keldan

"...you don't know who Mariah is? Head of House Obani? Where are you from?" he asks incredulously.

memnarch
2010-07-29, 12:50 PM
Nisse

<Not from where you lived it seems.>

Starting a little, she says to Sherea and Legion, I'm sorry. That was some what rude. I sometime just use telepathy to communicate; it's a little easier than just talking. Anyway, there seems to be an invisible wall just behind the house.

shadowedsoul
2010-07-29, 01:07 PM
Sherae

Sherae files the information Nisse just let be away as Rhavad'eth comes over. Scratching the clawfoot's head idly she turns to look towards the house.
An invisible wall. Huh. I don't suppose you know how high it is?
She asks almost absentmindedly, trying to watch all directions at once.

Since I forgot to make them before, awareness checks-

Sherae-[roll0]
Rhavad'eth-[roll1]

Sherae also has blindsense out to 30 ft.

OOC: It's Sherae, not Sherea

Savannah
2010-07-29, 06:33 PM
Keldan

"Behind the house, you say? Nothing preventing us from getting in? Seems this place wants us to investigate the house.

"I don't know if playing along is the best idea....on the one hand, it's really the only way for us to find out what is going on, but on the other hand it could be a trap."

memnarch
2010-07-29, 07:04 PM
Nisse

The wall is barely there as it is. And it only seems to be behind the house.

The pixie pauses, then continues, And if we are going to work together to go through the house, how shall we distinguish who someone is? To make sure there aren't any tricks replacing us in this... odd world?

Savannah
2010-07-31, 09:38 PM
Keldan

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I can smell you, and most illusions don't bother to replicate scent. In fact, I've not smelled much in the world, other than you all. Of course, that doesn't help you if I am the one replaced."

jojolagger
2010-07-31, 09:48 PM
Legion
"A code words should be enough to identify ourselves."

Savannah
2010-07-31, 09:52 PM
Keldan

"Then we'd best agree on one, and do it by whispers so that no one can hear it - hold on, why don't you," he points to Nisse, "pick a word and think it to the rest of us. That way nothing can learn it in advance. Actually, better pick two sentences. The first one should be a normal question, and the second a nonsense answer."

memnarch
2010-07-31, 10:15 PM
Nisse

No offense. And that would work. <The question will be "what is the velocity of an unladen swallow?> she finishes. <and then the answer, which you can think to me through this, will be "blue".>

memnarch
2010-08-03, 11:09 PM
Nisse

Now that we are acquainted, shall we see what is in the building?

jojolagger
2010-08-03, 11:48 PM
"Sure, I'll enter on the ethereal plane." Says Legion, fading from view.
On the ethereal plane, moving into house.

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-04, 01:54 AM
jojolagger:
For a much longer moment than normal, nothing changes. The material plane is as sharp and clear as ever, though it is apparent that the others cannot see him. With a funny feeling of shifting deep within the place where his belly once was, Legion finds himself again in the familiar fog of the Ethereal Plane.

The house, however, is still there beyond the limits of where he normally can see into the Material Plane, wavering in and out of the mist.

Awareness check, please.

Savannah
2010-08-04, 02:03 AM
Keldan

"I agree, we should investigate the house. I'll try to sneak over to it."

Keldan moves off towards the house.

From the description, it doesn't sound like there's anything for him to hide in as he moves up to the house, so this is just trying to stay away from any open windows. Hide: [roll0], Move silently: [roll1]

When he gets there, he attemps to peek in through a window. Awareness: [roll2]

shadowedsoul
2010-08-04, 02:09 AM
Sherae

Seeing everyone move towards the house, Sherae tags along, staying out of sight as much as possible.

Hide in Plain Sight for the win-
Hide-[roll0]
Move Silently-[roll1]

And Awareness (for if/when it comes up on the approach and checking around the outside of the house)-[roll2]

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-04, 02:26 AM
The path winds up to a little porch - painted white in a haphazard manner - a couple feet above the ground. The windows - two, flanking the small green door - have brightly flowered curtains on the inside obscuring the view. A brown mat sits quietly in front of the door, with 'Welcome' lettered in black on it. Above the door, a painted flower curves around the pink words, 'Please Remove Your Shoes'.

A few feet away from the porch, a sign has been shoved into the ground alongside one of the fat statues. It reads 'Please Keep Off The Grass'.

shadowedsoul:
Out of the corner of her eye, Sherae glimpses what looks rather like an eyeball nestled under the porch.

shadowedsoul
2010-08-04, 02:36 AM
Sherae

****, that doesn't look good.
Sherae muses as she explores the houses exterior.
I hope this works.
She thinks before attempting to contact the pixie.
<Uhh, there's a sensor of some kind under the porch. I don't know enough about magic to identify it for sure, but it doesn't smell like anything so I would guess it's some kind of farseeing effect.>
She projects to the little fairy, avoiding speaking out loud so she doesn't give away her position.

jojolagger
2010-08-04, 08:39 AM
[roll0] Awareness

memnarch
2010-08-04, 08:50 AM
Nisse

<I'll see if it's magic.>

The pixie rebroadcasts the finding to the other two group members adding on <I'll see if it's magic.>

Nisse turns invisible, moves up to the house silently [roll0], then casts detect magic and starts concentration on the house.

OOC:Telepath spell, so no sound there.
Detect magic duration 4 minutes.

Savannah
2010-08-04, 01:19 PM
Keldan

Keldan freezes in place, waiting for an update before doing anything more.

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-04, 04:11 PM
shadowedsoul: Anything in particular she's looking for?

memnarch: The air positively hums with magic as the spell comes into its strength. The house doesn't stand out at all, and nor does anything else - the feel of magic is all encompassing and overwhelming.

jojolagger: Legion hears a quiet whistling sound behind him. A short time after he notices, it begins to grow louder, as if multiple creatures were making the noise.

memnarch
2010-08-04, 06:27 PM
Nisse

(if that was just the first round)
Well, that was pretty much a given. She continues concentrating. (onto Round 2)

(if that was three) <well, that was useless; everything here is magic. Everything!>

OOC: Detect magic duration 4 minutes.

Edit; cuz of \/, unspoiler!

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-04, 08:17 PM
memnarch: That was all three.

jojolagger
2010-08-07, 10:05 PM
Legion turns, mainly to see whether the things make noise are on the ethereal or material plane.

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-08, 12:11 AM
jojolagger:
She's about seven feet away, shaped like a human girl, five or six, and she's smiling a little bit in the distracted way of a person who doesn't really care what you're talking about. She's stopped whistling, although the - ten, eleven? - similarly child-shaped creatures creeping up behind her continue.

"Hello. We've come to take you home," she says, and reaches out her long fingers as she shuffles closer.[roll0]

jojolagger
2010-08-08, 01:31 AM
Legion makes sure to get at least 10 feet off the ground, and is ready to leave via the roof should the creepy children be capable of flight.
"Last time it took a Balor to do that, and I now I'm even harder to kill."

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-08, 01:39 AM
jojolagger:"Not going to kill you. You'll just go to sleep a little. Everyone wants to go home." She steps daintily upwards, as if there were an invisible staircase beneath her feet.

Savannah
2010-08-08, 01:42 AM
Thinking very hard at Nisse <Have you figured out what it is yet? Is it safe?>

jojolagger
2010-08-08, 02:02 AM
Legion flies out of the roof, manifesting at the same time. "They don't seem aggressive, but they're really creepy."

memnarch
2010-08-08, 02:13 AM
Nisse

Nisse repeats herself; <well, that was useless; everything here is magic. Everything!>

To legion; Who are? (not telepathic)

She flies around a bit wondering what the best course of action is.

jojolagger
2010-08-12, 11:49 PM
"I think you mean what. They look like little kids, but can fly and talk in a really creepy way. Also the house is bigger on the inside."
Replies legion, putting 40 ft between him and the house.

Savannah
2010-08-13, 01:04 AM
"Well, do we go in or not?" asks Keldan, backing carefully away from the house.

memnarch
2010-08-15, 12:18 PM
Nisse

Well, there really isn't that much else for us to do about our predicament.

memnarch
2010-08-18, 12:54 PM
(in the interest of moving this thing along)

Nisse

Well then, I'm going in the house. If any of you want to follow, better hurry up.

The pixie flies invisibly to the porch before opening the door while in the air.

jojolagger
2010-08-18, 01:31 PM
Legion proceeds to the door, but waits just outside, trying to get a view of inside.

shadowedsoul
2010-08-18, 02:26 PM
Sherae

Sherae slips in quickly when Nisse opens the door.
<Let's get a move on, shall we?>
She projects to Nisse as she does so.

Savannah
2010-08-18, 11:59 PM
Keldan

Keldan says nothing, but slips as unobtrusively as posible into the house.

Hide [roll0], Move silently [roll1]

jojolagger
2010-08-19, 12:28 AM
Legion once again fades to the ethereal plane and enters the house.

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-19, 12:57 AM
The inside of the house is opulent and old - anyone walking on the thick carpet finds their feet sinking an inch or two into it, the traces disappearing in a second. Tapestries line the walls, depicting various figures trapped in their respective stories - there are no windows, only a wide glass ceiling some forty feet above to let in light. No doors are apparent in the hall, only a staircase climbing up to an open hallway.

Sitting on the top stair is a tall figure draped in black. It has preternaturally long limbs - the fingers tapping slowly on its knee are at least six inches, bony and definitely the wrong length for the hand. Its skin is white, not the white of any human but rather that of flower petals grown thin and translucent. Its neck hunches out of the collar of its robes, and its head is almost featureless - no hair, no eyes, no nose, only ears and a thin-lipped mouth.

It appears not to notice any of you.

jojolagger:
There is no trace of the children.

memnarch
2010-08-19, 01:36 AM
Nisse

The pixie slowly floats invisibly into the house and tries "Read Thoughts" (class ability) directed at the being; 60ft cone with it in the center, will save 1d20+1/2 class+int_mod so 1d20+9 (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Telepath_%283.5e_Class%29)).

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-19, 02:38 AM
memnarch:
It makes the save. There aren't any other living beings in the cone.

The tapping stops, and its head tilts slightly. "Hello?"

memnarch
2010-08-19, 02:42 AM
Nisse

Being careful to only pick out the companions from before, she "speaks" to each in turn <I tried to read its thoughts; I guess it could sense it and blocked it>.

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-22, 11:46 PM
The creature stands, and steps slowly down the stairs. "My apologies - I appear to have misplaced my eyes again. They should be coming soon. Welcome."

jojolagger
2010-08-30, 05:12 PM
Legion stays on the ethereal plane, and moves to about 10 feet from the thing. Putting himself between the thing and the others, even if nobody can see.

memnarch
2010-08-30, 05:58 PM
<Who are you> the pixie thinks to the being.

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-30, 11:55 PM
"The Gatekeeper. It's what they call me, anyway. Ah, here we go." Four or five floating eyeballs drift across from various places to hover around its head, constantly moving. "I'm here to welcome you - all, ah, four of you. Well, that's a record."

Behind it, the staircase appears to be slowly splitting down the middle, making a faint crackling noise.

"I do try to make it more familiar, but there's been an influx lately and I haven't had time to make the necessary changes. And, well, you're an - interesting group. I trust you haven't had too much trouble?"

jojolagger
2010-08-31, 12:09 AM
Not much, were the creepy children yours? Says Legion, manifesting.

Savannah
2010-08-31, 12:22 AM
Keldan stands up from where he was (unsuccessfully) trying to hide. "What is this place? Some kind of twisted prison?"

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-31, 11:53 AM
"The creepy…oh. I apologize. You're not meant to have met them. They didn't touch you, did they? Well, you're safe from them now."

It flutters a hand at Keldan. "No, no, of course not. Well. I mean. No one can get out, certainly. If you turned around and walked out, why, you'd die. Painfully. Starve, probably. There's nothing out there. Just bare wasteland, nothing living. So. We prefer to think of it as a sanctuary. Just behind me, if you'll step through the door here, we'll get you set up with a few basic necessities and set you loose, eh?"

And, indeed, there is a door where the staircase once was.

jojolagger
2010-08-31, 12:03 PM
"Any chance of a bit more explanation now, or is that for after we go through the door?"

Savannah
2010-08-31, 02:30 PM
Keldan crosses his arms and doesn't move. "Begging your pardon, sir, but how I do know I can trust you? How did we come to be in this place?"

shadowedsoul
2010-08-31, 02:58 PM
Sherae

Not really understanding what's going on, Sherae stands in the corner and stares at the floating eyes as the others talk to the creature.

memnarch
2010-09-01, 12:34 PM
Nisse waits to see how the being responds.

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-01, 05:02 PM
"Ah. Well. I, ah. You can't, really. Trust me. To be honest. But do you have a choice?"

(For a few seconds, all the eyes turn to stare at Sherae, then continue their erratic movement).

"There's not much to explain." It's getting snippy, tapping its fingers in what must be a nervous habit against its leg. "You're here, and unless you want to stay in my house forever you'll need to step through this door. Outside is nothing. Inside is - safer."

Savannah
2010-09-01, 06:49 PM
"But not safe. I see." Keldan grimaces slightly.

Sense motive on the creature [roll0]

jojolagger
2010-09-01, 08:07 PM
"He is right, and has remained civil. We might as well go."
Says legion, making his way to the door (but not through it yet.)

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-01, 11:16 PM
Savannah:
It's not telling you everything it knows, and it wants you to hurry up. It's not lying, however, as far as you can tell - just a bit nervous.

But you knew most of that already, didn't you? :smallwink:

Savannah
2010-09-01, 11:24 PM
Keldan sighs, Very well, since we have no other choice..." He walks through the door, alert for any signs of trouble.

Awareness [roll0]

memnarch
2010-09-02, 12:41 AM
Nisse quietly follows, gliding invisibly through the air and keeping her senses tuned to her surroundings.
[roll0]

jojolagger
2010-09-02, 12:48 AM
Legion floats through the door calmly, appearing the least concerned of his group.
[roll0] awareness

shadowedsoul
2010-09-02, 12:59 AM
Sherae

Sherae follows quietly, looking somewhat uncomfortable at the situation.

Awareness-[roll0]

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-02, 01:13 AM
The door leads to a short hallway, empty of anything except for two doors facing each other on either side. The creature stands behind, silhouetted by the light coming through.

The door to the left is plated with metals, gold and silver and copper all layered to form a picture of a city - high-towered and glimmering in the sunlight. The other is carved in a deep, rich wood, highlighted with streaks of maple, showing a rocky cliff and a wide sea that stretches out to the horizon.

"Take whichever door you'd like," it says. "You'll be welcomed on the other end. You'll fit right in, I think. For a certain value of fitting in."

It pauses.

"It…may be best to stay together. Those who don't find someone to latch onto, quick - they go a bit mad."

jojolagger
2010-09-06, 01:21 PM
"Where are the two gatekeepers, one that lies and one that tells the truth?"
"If we should stay together we need to choose the same door, I don't mind which one, what would the others prefer?"

memnarch
2010-09-06, 01:40 PM
Nisse

Let's go with the one on the right.

Savannah
2010-09-06, 01:56 PM
"Assuming that they lead to where they show, I'd much prefer the door to the left, the city. However, I agree that we should stick together."

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-06, 05:14 PM
"They go where they show, yes," it says, eyes glancing back over its shoulder. "The city's safer, but if you leave soon you'll be fine to the right. The girl will take care of you. Soon."

[roll0]

Sherae, Nisse, Legion:
The eyes appear to be looking - all of them - straight at a large green hourglass sitting on the floor. It's funny, because you don't remember it being there before. The sand is almost out.

shadowedsoul
2010-09-06, 07:10 PM
Sherae

Sherae looks at the doors, the hourglass, her party and the creature before replying.
Cities make me antsy. If we're voting I say we go right.
She says quietly, her eyes still darting back and forth.

jojolagger
2010-09-06, 07:21 PM
"Looks like it the right door then." says legion, opening the door via telekinesis.

memnarch
2010-09-06, 08:42 PM
And one very quick question before we go; what is that hourglass for? asks Nisse.

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-06, 09:50 PM
"…To tell the time," it says. "I'm sure the girl will tell you everything. She's talkative. Listen to her. Good luck."

And with that, the open door cracks and peels away, and you catch a faint glimpse of stars (and possibly whales) before spinning into a black abyss.

---

You're standing as if you had, indeed, just stepped through a door. In fact, there's one just behind you, supported by a frame and lacking any other structure - or place to go to. It appears to be made of driftwood, and is stuck solidly in the dirt.

In front of you, about thirty feet away, is the edge of the cliff depicted in the door. Perhaps ten feet away and leaning against a boulder is a woman, arms crossed and glaring, with a pair of packs and an old-looking sword. Little sparks and flashes appear around her every few seconds, and her eyes glow a noticeable blue. A few feet away an ornate mask - entirely incongruous with the woman's appearance - sits against the same rock.

"Oh, look. They're here. Took you long enough, didn't it? Oy, Tess!"

Another woman, round and short and pleasant-looking, comes trotting out from behind the boulder. "So I see! Welcome! As well come as you can be in the circumstances, I suppose. Well, we've not a lot of time, but it should only take a day to get far enough away, so we've a couple extra. And ignore Jain," she says a bit more sharply, "she's not a people person. I'm here to answer your questions, to a point, don't ask if I'm married I've had too many proposals from people just out the gate. And if there's anything you need - anything material, anyway - I'm here to provide it. Free of charge, though that's likely the only time you'll get that deal so take advantage." Done, she smiles at you warmly, hands clasped, as Jain sits and looks bored.

Savannah
2010-09-06, 10:03 PM
"I only have two questions at the moment: What is this place? Why are we here?"

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-06, 11:01 PM
"Hell," Jain mutters, "or some people think it's Heaven, but they're idiots."

"…Yes, well." Tess frowns a little. "And some people call it the Place of Waiting. But the name's not really the important bit, is it?

"I don't know why you're here. I'm sorry. I don't know why I'm here, or why anyone else is. Possibly the only person who does is him, out there, but he's not talking." She flashes a smile, which fades quickly. "We all came in through one of those two doors, and not a one had any clue why.

"It's not huge. It's big enough to get lost in, and we've never mapped it because it keeps changing, but walk far enough one direction and you'll end up where you started.

"There's rules. We made them up, a long time ago, because everyone who comes in is lost and confused and might not always do the right thing, in that condition. Don't attack people. It's easy to tell, because people have eyes, and the Others don't. Don't live alone. If you wander off too far, if you forget too much, you're no longer a person. You're Other. And all they do is attack, and breed, and attack more. Never take a person's soul, because then they become Other. Never offer yours, no matter what you think you'll get. The color in your blood, the memories of your first love, the tongue out your mouth - if you'd like, though I don't trust the merchants and neither should you."

She pauses. "Most people live in the city. It's the most comfortable, for them. There's a few smaller ones, too, and some people just go two by two. The city's safe, usually, or safer. But the people who come here - tend to be capable, if odd.

"Is that enough?"

jojolagger
2010-09-08, 06:15 PM
"Wait, Is it possible to get to the city from here, without going through the door?"
Asks legion, gesturing to the door the just stepped through.

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-12, 09:18 PM
"Oh, yes. A week's walk down that way, approximately." She points. "And you can't go back through the door. Doesn't work."

Savannah
2010-09-12, 09:51 PM
"It sounds like you have a job - greeting people. Do most people here have jobs? Or did you choose to do this?"

shadowedsoul
2010-09-12, 10:01 PM
Sherae

While not outright hiding, Sherae stands in the back for a moment, attempting to get a feel for the two women.

Sense Motive-[roll0]

Attempting to get a "Hunch", which according to the SRD is DC 20.

memnarch
2010-09-12, 10:58 PM
Nisse

The pixie looks at the two and concentrates. (read thoughts activated)

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-13, 03:29 PM
Tess considers. "I chose to do this. Invented the position, in a way. Jain tags along. And most people do something. You get bored, after a while, if you don't. We've developed - two systems, in a sense. The merchants don't take money, but normal people will, selling food, clothing - mundane things. We didn't start with jobs, but people drifted into them. You may find things to be more expensive than you're used to, however. Or occasionally cheaper."

Sherae:
Tess gives off a feeling of trustworthiness and calm. Jain is getting more fidgety by the second, although she's not actually moving.

Nisse:
They're immune.

And I'm afraid it seems like I'm picking on you - most people aren't going to be immune/high Will, I promise. These three are special cases.

memnarch
2010-09-20, 06:36 PM
Nisse

Anything that you recommend us do?

shadowedsoul
2010-09-20, 07:06 PM
Sherae

<Keep an eye on Jain, she's starting to wig out.>
Sherae projects to the pixie.
<You should probably let our companion know as well.>

memnarch
2010-09-20, 07:17 PM
Nisse passes the message on.

Savannah
2010-09-20, 10:32 PM
<What seems to be wrong with her?> Keldan thinks.

memnarch
2010-09-20, 10:36 PM
<Sherea just said "keep an eye out"> Nisse responds.

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-21, 02:46 PM
"Well. I don't know you. But, seeing as you chose to come here - I'd say you should go, oh, the opposite way we're going. Seem like the sort to wander first. Just make sure you're a good ten miles away from the line that door makes to the sea." She illustrates with a wave of her hand. "By a couple days from now. And, uh, if you go along the shore here - watch out for snakes. They're usually just a nuisance, but if you run into nesting mothers they get tetchy."

"Let's go. They're fine. Can we go?" Jain stands up. "And wake up." She kicks the mask, making a complicated little gesture with her hand, and a body suddenly forms behind it.

"Eh? What? What? Going now? Oh, hello." Its voice is a little tinny, artificial. "Newww people!"

Nisse:
While before the mask had seemed inert, Nisse senses of rush of consciousness as the body forms. It's not as if it were asleep - people think when they're asleep - but more as if it were suddenly resurrected.

hey look at all the people i wonder if i can scare them they're sorta scary what is that a lizard it's a big lizard wonder if it tastes good snakes taste good but i don't know if giant lizards taste good if a tree falls in the city does it make a mess hee i wonder…

Most people's thoughts aren't quite this disjointed.

memnarch
2010-09-21, 10:57 PM
Nisse

What happens a couple days from now? And what's that?

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-22, 02:09 PM
Tess looks at it. "Oh, him? As far as we've been able to make out, he was created to be a spy and accidentally acquired a will of his own. He doesn't really have a name - it changes every time he wakes up. He's quite sweet, though."

The mask-thing spits out a string of nearly unpronounceable gibberish. "At your service!"

"Yes, sweet," Jain mutters. "The way a tiny dog that barks too much is sweet."

"Exactly. As for what will happen, well -"

" - death personified will come out of that door and annihilate anything in it's path. Now, since I don't really want to be wiped out of existence, no matter how hellish, I would like to leave. Now." Jain flicks her gaze over. "The hourglass is not always perfectly on time. It's nice to leave, oh, a week in advance. Just in case. If you're forgetting." This last she directs to Tess, who looks a bit uncomfortable.

"I wouldn't forget, dear. We'll go. Just as soon as they're on their own way."

Savannah
2010-09-22, 02:25 PM
"Death....personified? So we're not dead, then?"

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-22, 02:44 PM
"Well. No, you're not. I don't think so, anyway. And Jain was exaggerating, it's not really Death."

"All the pretty little things that have been gathering outside that door for a couple centuries are going to smash it, and whoever is caught in their path will indeed be dead. Forever. So - close enough."

Savannah
2010-09-27, 07:58 PM
"Right, then. Ah - if you don't mind my asking, where are you headed?"

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-27, 09:20 PM
"The city. We've reliable lodgings."

shadowedsoul
2010-09-29, 01:55 PM
Sherae

Which city would that be?

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-29, 02:01 PM
"There's only really one city. You saw it on the other door?"

shadowedsoul
2010-09-29, 02:24 PM
Sherae

I did, I don't really know anything about it though, I just saw the image on the door.

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-29, 02:39 PM
"Right. Well, I'd say - nearly all of us live there. Maybe three-quarters? We just call it the city. Is there anything specific you'd like…?"

jojolagger
2010-09-29, 06:13 PM
"Unless you have anything to invalidate a claim to my soul by a arch-devil, I don't need anything."

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-29, 06:58 PM
"…I meant to know about the city. But you're safe from arch-devils at least, here. Unless one of them shows up, later. I doubt it'll happen. As for invalidating the claim entirely - it depends on what basis the claim has been made."

memnarch
2010-09-30, 01:50 AM
Nisse

Any of you try to get home to where you'd come from before this place?

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-02, 11:33 AM
No one ever managed. Or we don't know if they did, anyway. Sometimes people go to the outskirts and never come back. And there were, well, a few years back, some people who thought if they died here, they'd go back to where they came from. It was…gruesome."

shadowedsoul
2010-10-04, 05:09 PM
Sherae

<I guess we should be on our way then. These two don't seem like they're going to be much more help.>
Sherae projects to Nisse, a little surprised at how quickly she's adapted to the new technique of communication.

memnarch
2010-10-04, 05:17 PM
<Where to? Do we want to explore the place where people were disappearing?>

shadowedsoul
2010-10-05, 11:31 PM
<I suppose the immediate concern would be to get out of the path of "death". After that I don't really have an idea, but these two make me nervous.>

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-07, 09:24 PM
A silence stretches between the groups, enough such that Jain nods and grabs Tess' arm. "Alright, we're going. Have fun."

"Good luck."

"Yeah, you'll need it."

They're off at a fast clip, leaving the five of you alone on the cliff.

jojolagger
2010-10-07, 10:43 PM
"Let's not stay here too long, one dead is more than enough."

Savannah
2010-10-07, 11:11 PM
Keldan

"Agreed. Where should we go?"

memnarch
2010-10-10, 08:44 PM
Nisse

Let's go see the area where people were supposedly disappearing.

shadowedsoul
2010-10-11, 12:05 AM
Sherae

I've heard worse ideas.

Savannah
2010-10-11, 12:14 AM
Keldan

Keldan shrugs. "It may not be the wisest course of action, but it seems like the most likely way to get back. I'm game."

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-18, 09:40 PM
You make your way across the rocky bluffs, which dip down to low dunes after a few miles. A few small furry brown things swim - a hundred or so yards out - along with you for a while, before the thin trail leads up a pair of hills and the view to sea is obscured by masses of skinny trees.

The path is eerily silent except for your own sounds - there is not even so much as a breeze whispering. After a good hour or so, you suddenly hear shrill screams from up ahead, though the view is still covered by trees.

jojolagger
2010-10-18, 09:52 PM
Legion
"I'll take point." says Legion, fading from view.
Go ethereal, start scouting.

shadowedsoul
2010-10-19, 11:20 AM
Sherae

Right, like I'm going to let a ghost wander off and leave us here.
Sherae thinks as she begins moving forward as stealthily as she can.

Also scouting ahead 'cause my momma didn't raise me to trust strange ghosts.
Hide-[roll0]
Move Silently-[roll1]
Awareness-[roll2]

Savannah
2010-10-19, 01:34 PM
Keldan immediately follows the others' lead.

Hide [roll0]
Move silently [roll1]
Awareness [roll2]

memnarch
2010-10-21, 04:19 PM
Nisse

The pixie turns invisible again then cautiously flies between the trees (10ft off the ground). She activates her Read Thoughts every so often to see if there is anything hiding above as well as staying on alert.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Read Thoughts (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Telepath_%283.5e_Class%29) is pointed in an upward direction so that the bottom of the cone is on the ground and the top is somewhere in the trees. Also note that it's a swift action.

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-22, 08:51 AM
Legion:
The ethereal plane is empty - you proceed at about the same pace as your material companions. The trees end a few hundred yards later, replaced by yet more sandy cliffs.

Unless I'm missing something, remember you can only see and hear in a 60' radius.

Keldan, Sherae, Nisse:
As soon as you reach the edge of the trees, the source of the noise is obvious. About a hundred feet away, a humanoid figure is being attacked by what seem to be - well, tiny, flying snakes. They're pushing him steadily towards the edge of the sandy cliff as he flails at them.

Nisse:
There is nothing living above you.

jojolagger
2010-10-22, 12:04 PM
Legion:
The ethereal plane is empty - you proceed at about the same pace as your material companions. The trees end a few hundred yards later, replaced by yet more sandy cliffs.

Unless I'm missing something, remember you can only see and hear in a 60' radius.

Not sure where you're getting that. Also remember the ethereal plane can see onto the prime material plane.

FirebirdFlying
2010-10-22, 01:50 PM
Legion:
Into the material plane for 60', I meant. You can see in the ethereal plane just fine.

Savannah
2010-10-22, 11:57 PM
FirebirdFlying
How far is the humanoid from the cliff edge? More importantly, at his current speed, how long would it take for him to go over the edge?

memnarch
2010-10-25, 11:43 AM
Nisse

The pixie quickly halves the distance between, reach's out with her mind, draws a bead on the largest grouping of snakes and fires.

Actions;
Fly 50ft out, activate Read Thoughts,
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

OOC; sneak attack damage separate because the ability works on creatures affected by Read Thoughts, but it doesn't say if it still needs to be within 30ft or less. Your call.

FirebirdFlying
2010-11-06, 11:03 AM
Keldan:About fifty feet or so - the whole mass is moving at about 10' per round.

The pixie's shot glances against one of the snakes, and it jerks around with a loud hiss. A small mass of snakes breaks away from the main group and heads towards Nisse.

Nisse:more of them kill them quick hurry hurry hurry DIE!
Will: [roll0]

The snakes - some of which have, apparently, two heads - snap and bite at you futilely.

memnarch
2010-11-06, 11:58 AM
Nisse

The pixie tries Read Thoughts (60ft cone) again, directed at the mass of snakes and the humanoid, before flies up to 20 ft (still invisible) and fires again at the mass of snakes pushing the man. [roll0] [roll1] (forgot I had the Chasuble last round)

Noting that the ghost hasn't done anything, <Hey, Legion! Get moving and help kill the snakes!>

OOC note; will save (DC 19) would keep thoughts from being read.

jojolagger
2010-11-06, 01:17 PM
Legion
See his newfound allies attacking some foe to far away to see, and then hearing snakes, Legion runs forward, while shifting to the material, arriving right at the snakes.

Savannah
2010-11-06, 02:29 PM
Keldan still doesn't entirely trust this situation to be as it seems, but he sprints off towards the humanoid figure.

Double move 100 feet, should put me near the guy.

shadowedsoul
2010-11-07, 12:35 PM
Sherae

Not really wanting to draw any attention to herself, Sherae moves forward slowly and prepares herself for battle.

Standard Action-Change into animal form.

Move Action-Moving forward 30 ft (1/2 move) and hiding.
Hide-[roll0]
Move Silently-[roll1]