PDA

View Full Version : Unlimbed PC, or "Unarmed Combat"

Pfhor
2010-07-27, 10:03 PM
Does anyone have any ideas on playing a PC missing limbs? It seems on top of the fact that rules for limb severing are practically nonexistant, there seems to be no additional rules (that I can find) for playing a PC after being delimbed.

So I repeat, does anyone have any ideas for additional rules for PC's without some of their limbs?

It should just be self explanatory. IE, you cant wield anything. However, you could theoretically do things like swim, climb, and kick without arms. What seems to be appropriate penalties to such things? it would have to all inclusive

What I have so far
Players without Any arms cannot:
Wield anything
Cast spells or abilities that requires arms or hands

Use the following skills:
Climb
Craft
Disable Device
Forgery
Open Lock
Sleight of Hand
Use Magic Device
Use Rope
perform (if it involves arms)

Penalties to
Ride -4
intimidate -4

Players with only one arm receive the following penalties
only the remaining arm can wield items
Climb -4
Craft -4
Disable Device -4
Open Lock -6
Sleight of hand -4
Use magic device (if it requires 2 hands) -4
Use Rope -6
Intimidate -2

Players with no legs cannot
move faster than 10 ft while not wielding anything
Move faster than 5ft while wielding something (or having 1 arm as well)
jump
charge
perform (if it involves legs)

the following penalties
balance -2
climb -4
escape artist -2
intimidate -4
ride -2
swim -4
tumble -10

Are there any exotic weapons in the rules that are worn on the feet?
Any thoughts or ideas?

Owrtho
2010-07-27, 10:28 PM
I'd note that climbing, use magic device, and use rope could all be done without arms. Use magic device doesn't require arm, most just do. There could be those that would be able to be kicked to be activated.
Climbing and use rope would be harder, but still possible. You cold learn to tie ropes with your feet, and with a large amount of effort, climb without the aid of arms (might be easier with fake limbs made for climbing). Also, escape artist should get penalties for missing arms.

Owrtho

Pfhor
2010-07-27, 10:59 PM
What if a feat slot could be taken up by something like "Foot Dexterity" which would allow those things you mentioned to be possible but at a penalty?

Gamblerjoe
2010-07-28, 03:06 AM
seems pretty solid, along with the suggestions in this thread. i thought about playing a duelist with only one arm once.

another thought is how aid another would work with certain skills. it is up to the DM to decide what skills to allow aid in, and how many people can help. i would suggest that the DM allow some skills to be aided automaticaly. for instance, lets say that a character with one arm gets -2 to decipher script and umd. another character could aid them by hoding books, turning pages, holding down parchments etc. this wouldnt require a skill check on the part of the helper, but only one person could aid in this fassion. the +2 from aiding would offset the penalty of having one arm, since the character deciphering the script now only needs to rely on his brain and the hand hes using to write.

aiding can also be made more difficult in other circumstances. if the party is trying to scale a 10 ft wall, the simplest method would be for a strong character to go first getting a boost from someone (+2 to their climb check) then they could reach down and grab the hand of the next person (giving a +2 bonus along with the +2 they can get from the boost). the middle guy would obviously be the weakest climber/jumper, since the last person to climb doesnt get a boost and has to jump to grab the ledge or someones hand. if the middle guy has no arms, there is no chance to grab someones hand, and no aid from the guy at the top. with the DC being so high, and his penalties making it likely impossible for him to make it, the party must persue other options. they will need rope or some other device if they want to salvage the possibility for the aid bonus.

as far as weapons go, monks can move and attack with no penalties as long as they have two working legs (and are unencumbered). gauntlets deal 1d3 damage and spiked gauntlets deal 1d4 damage. it stands to reason that boots and boot daggers deal the same. other than that, homebrew away.

another penalty i would add is having one or no arms causes you to run at 3x your base speed instead of 4x. i wouldnt make it any worse for having no arms, if anything having one arm is worse because it puts you off balance.

Serpentine
2010-07-28, 03:14 AM
A recent Cracked article featured an armless legless boy who kicks arse* at wrestling. Just thought I'd get that out there.

A teensy point, I would allow characters such as Sorcerers and to a lesser extent divine spellcasters to learn alternate somatic components. Wizards would be more tricky, as they seem to be inherently book learnin', rather than internal talent or deus ex.

*Surprisingly literally.

Hyooz
2010-07-28, 01:52 PM
Actually, the Dissembler entry from this month's PrC contest might interest you.

It's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8786444&postcount=7).