PDA

View Full Version : The Guild

Gimliggamer
2010-07-27, 11:44 PM
This is thread about one of my two most favorite webseries evar, The Guild (http://www.watchtheguild.com/). The Guild is about a Guild oddly enough. It's awesome. And I think everyone can celebrate the beginning of the fourth season!:smallbiggrin:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/oots/d718.png
Bladezz by CrimsonAngel

Avilan the Grey
2010-07-28, 12:42 AM
Odd timing. For some reason I cannot fathom I completely missed this show; I went through the complete archive of episodes this weekend!

It is even stranger that I missed this since I am one of those who are totally crushing on Felicia Day, and have been for quite some time.

(I am also ashamed to admit that I now have both "Do you want to date my avatar" AND "Game on" on my iPhone).

Dr.Epic
2010-07-28, 06:38 AM
Saw the first season and need to watch the others. Good stuff.

mr_pathetic
2010-07-29, 12:49 AM
Too much web stuff to see, still I would like to watch the series (liked what little I saw). Neat thing is these guys are going to be at Gen Con Indianapolis next week.

Avilan the Grey
2010-07-29, 01:25 AM
I sens the Wil Wheaton has a plan for resurrecting his career: Do small roles in really good shows.

Plus, you know, he must be doing something right if he gets to be on the set with both Felicia Day and Kaley Cuoco, respectively...

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-07-29, 03:35 PM
I watched this for a bit, but I really find myself unnerved by it now, mainly because each character seems less and less likable as I watch it. Each of them is irresponsible in some different ways, slowly destroying their own lives in very different ways because of their obsession with a game. This aspect brings me uncomfortable memories of my sophomore year of college, and the behavior of some of them remind me uncomfortably of other members of my family.

I really don't find it funny. I think it hits a bit too close to home for me, and makes me feel disgusted instead of pleased.

Starbuck_II
2010-07-29, 05:59 PM
I watched this for a bit, but I really find myself unnerved by it now, mainly because each character seems less and less likable as I watch it. Each of them is irresponsible in some different ways, slowly destroying their own lives in very different ways because of their obsession with a game. This aspect brings me uncomfortable memories of my sophomore year of college, and the behavior of some of them remind me uncomfortably of other members of my family.

I really don't find it funny. I think it hits a bit too close to home for me, and makes me feel disgusted instead of pleased.

What about Felicia's character Or the Bald dude (forget name)?
The bald dude isn't irresponsible just not good at people skills.

thorgrim29
2010-07-29, 06:05 PM
I watched the beginning of season 3 a year or so ago, I have to et to finishing it. Also, in more or less the same vein, if you like MMORPG series and you speak french/dpn't mind subs, you might want to try NOOB.

warty goblin
2010-07-29, 11:14 PM

Given that Codex essentially has no life outside of the game, I'm not sure she's exactly a good counter-example.

Athaniar
2010-07-30, 03:24 PM
It's a great show (and one I can relate to), and I'm happy it's back.

As for Game On... Awesome. Pure awesome. They even Buffalaxed themselves!

Tirian
2010-07-30, 03:39 PM
I just watched Seasons 2 and 3 for the first time last night, sticking with it longer than I might just because it seems to get such raves. I guess it's just not my thing. There's just nobody there I want to spend time with except Codex and then it's doubly not fun to watch her sabotage her own life.

The one exciting moment was the Lick Poop cameo.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-30, 03:47 PM
I find it both hilarious (good mix of irony, dirty jokes, and one-liners) and sad (for the obvious reasons) at the same time.

Gimliggamer
2010-07-30, 04:43 PM
Hm. I watch it just for the awesome comedy, and mostly ignore the sabotaging of their own lives. And my avatar may have something to say about how much I like this webseries...

Astrella
2010-07-30, 04:53 PM
I just watched Seasons 2 and 3 for the first time last night, sticking with it longer than I might just because it seems to get such raves. I guess it's just not my thing. There's just nobody there I want to spend time with except Codex and then it's doubly not fun to watch her sabotage her own life.

The one exciting moment was the Lick Poop cameo.

I'm curious on how "not wanting to spend time with the characters" has anything to do with you liking the show. :smallconfused:

Dr.Epic
2010-07-30, 07:49 PM

She should do an online musical.

Tirian
2010-07-30, 10:51 PM
I'm curious on how "not wanting to spend time with the characters" has anything to do with you liking the show. :smallconfused:

Imagine spending an hour with friends. Now imagine spending an hour with dreadful people, focusing on their dreadful lives and the dreadful problems they cause. To me, that's the difference between watching bad television with odious characters and doing something else with your time. Many people feel differently, but to me there is enough unpleasantness in the world that I can't ignore without inviting more in.

Dragor
2010-07-31, 06:21 AM
I'm really not getting this 'all the characters are horrible' lark. They do bad things to each other (especially at the end of Season 2, and then some) but the show doesn't play up how much they're into the game as a destructive element in their lives- it just makes them incredibly strange, and it's played for comedy. Even Clara's absentee mother larks are funny. I think the show's only about 'people destroying their lives through the medium of an MMO' if you want it to be about that.

That doesn't stop me from understanding how some people might find it too close to home- I've never been that addicted to an MMO, so I really can't say I know from experience- it's just that I'm putting it out there that the show really isn't as depressing and horrible as some posters are making it out to be.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-07-31, 02:28 PM
Who's Felicia?

And Vork is one of the worst. He's a compulsive hoarder who lives off checks he gets illegally because his father is dead, so he shouldn't be living off those checks, raises wild birds for food, which can't be sanitary or healthy, steals his internet access from his neighbor, who has Alzheimer's, and heck, steals almost anything when nobody's looking, all because he's too obsessed with his game to, you know, GET A FREAKIN' JOB TO SUPPORT HIMSELF!!! I think the show really stopped being appealing to me when they first visited him and showed the absolute squalor he willingly lives int.

Derthric
2010-07-31, 07:41 PM
Who's Felicia?

Felicia Day is the easily distinguished redhead lead actress for the Guild. Better known as Penny from Dr. Horrible. Interestingly Joss Wheedon was partly inspired by her success with the guild and took webseries seriously because of it leading to Dr. Horrible.

warty goblin
2010-07-31, 10:19 PM
Who's Felicia?

And Vork is one of the worst. He's a compulsive hoarder who lives off checks he gets illegally because his father is dead, so he shouldn't be living off those checks, raises wild birds for food, which can't be sanitary or healthy, steals his internet access from his neighbor, who has Alzheimer's, and heck, steals almost anything when nobody's looking, all because he's too obsessed with his game to, you know, GET A FREAKIN' JOB TO SUPPORT HIMSELF!!! I think the show really stopped being appealing to me when they first visited him and showed the absolute squalor he willingly lives int.

I've raised birds for meat, there's nothing wrong with it.

Creed
2010-08-03, 10:14 PM
Question: Who is the coolest character in the Guild? I mean the series, not the Knights of Good. It could be a character from Axis of Anarchy.

CrimsonAngel
2010-08-03, 10:14 PM
Anything with Felicia Day is good. :smallbiggrin:

Gimliggamer
2010-08-03, 10:16 PM
Question: Who is the coolest character in the Guild? I mean the series, not the Knights of Good. It could be a character from Axis of Anarchy.
Theres coolest and then there's funniest. Obviously Bladezz is the coolest. So cool in fact, that I got an avatar of him commissioned. Vork is the funnies though. like Church and Caboose from RvB.

Creed
2010-08-03, 10:22 PM
{Scrubbed}

The Glyphstone
2010-08-03, 10:30 PM
Vork got redemption points in the S3 finale when he busted out his Korean fluency to cut down the Anarchy player.

Mr. Wibbly might deserve a mention, since out of every named character in the show, he's probably the only one that qualifies for something approaching social normalcy (aside from whatever mental defect induced him to marry Clara).

Creed
2010-08-03, 10:33 PM
Vork got redemption points in the S3 finale when he busted out his Korean fluency to cut down the Anarchy player.

Mr. Wibbly might deserve a mention, since out of every named character in the show, he's probably the only one that qualifies for something approaching social normalcy (aside from whatever mental defect induced him to marry Clara).

Mr. Wiggly! And that last part is cold, dude.:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Gimliggamer
2010-08-03, 10:34 PM
Did you borrow my crayons? And my MIND?!

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-08-04, 12:25 AM
I've raised birds for meat, there's nothing wrong with it.

Were those birds chickens? Those are socially acceptable birds to raise for meat.

Avilan the Grey
2010-08-04, 12:43 AM
So, any thoughts of the new episode? As much as I liked the last two, the funniest thing in them was the actual computer breakdown (actual fire? What the heck did you put in your computer?). But if it is made partly of an old ATM... that might explain things. :smallbiggrin:

warty goblin
2010-08-04, 10:31 AM
Were those birds chickens? Those are socially acceptable birds to raise for meat.

Also ducks. And I really don't see what the variety of bird matters. If you keep them healthy, butcher them with basic attention to hygiene, and cook them thoroughly the only thing left to object to is some sort of weird squeemishness about eating this sort of bird but not that sort, which is hardly coherent or sensible.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-04, 11:46 AM

Is it bad that I consider unconditional love to be a mental defect?:smallamused:

Creed
2010-08-04, 11:53 AM
Is it bad that I consider unconditional love to be a mental defect?:smallamused:

no, not really.:smalltongue:

Daimbert
2010-08-04, 11:58 AM
Count me in as one of those who is less than impressed with the series. I saw the "Do You Wanna Date my Avatar?" video, loved it, and so went to watch some of the episodes ... and went "Meh". I think the same thing happened to me that some of the others have mentioned, in that I didn't find any of the characters all that interesting and so didn't really CARE what happened in their lives. And since the series is all about that, well, I didn't care about the series either.

Tirian
2010-08-04, 12:37 PM

One assumes that the "defect" was getting Clara pregnant at a kegger and then following through with marrying her.

Bladezz and his sister are normal, at least inasmuch as they are geeky overextended teenagers. Of course, I suppose their home life is as inexplicably dystopian as everything else in the series, but at least they have excuses for not coming to their senses.

Avilan the Grey
2010-08-04, 12:52 PM
Bladezz and his sister are normal, at least inasmuch as they are geeky overextended teenagers. Of course, I suppose their home life is as inexplicably dystopian as everything else in the series, but at least they have excuses for not coming to their senses.

Well the only "dysfunctional" thing I noticed with them is that his sister probably is the smartest person on the show, and that she also can beat her brother up. That's about it.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-04, 12:55 PM
Yeah, Bladezz's sister is probably Wiggly's best competitor/equal for normality - Bladezz himself trails a bit behind, mainly because he is a Knights of Good member.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2010-08-04, 12:56 PM
I loved Season 1. It was over the top geekiness, social awkward clash, but for the most part they were all friends and cared about each other, or at least the game, and each other because they neededeach other for the game.

Season 2 was okay. As it dealt more with their real life issues, it felt like it lost the central premise of the series.

Season 3, had its moments and the last 2 episodes were great, but all the middle was too close to RL for me to really enjoy. The marital dispute, the weapons in the locker, the quest to find himself it was too serious for my web comedy and I felt a little pained watching it unfold.

I understand they had to grow to avoid stagnation, but Season 1 is my favorite.

Tirian
2010-08-04, 01:07 PM
Well the only "dysfunctional" thing I noticed with them is that his sister probably is the smartest person on the show, and that she also can beat her brother up. That's about it.

I'm thinking that it didn't seem to take a lot of effort for Bruiser to formulate and then carry out the plan to seduce Bladdez's mother. I don't want to extrapolate too far, but it does seem like a socially unsettled household.

I'd suggest that Tink is the smartest person on the show; she just doesn't have any motivation to share it thruogh her online persona.

Gimliggamer
2010-08-04, 11:51 PM
and that she also can beat her brother up.
That comes with being a sister.

And Bladezz is officially awesome. (http://www.watchtheguild.com/the-guild/the-guild-season-4-episode-3-supportived/)

Avilan the Grey
2010-08-05, 12:39 AM
That comes with being a sister.

And Bladezz is officially awesome. (http://www.watchtheguild.com/the-guild/the-guild-season-4-episode-3-supportived/)

I just want it put on record that my kid sister never managed to beat me up. :smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2010-08-05, 05:01 AM
Just watched the first ep. of season 1.
I've never been a fan of MMORPG, but I know some. I think I'll watch the whole season(s)... :smallsmile:

I watched this for a bit, but I really find myself unnerved by it now, mainly because each character seems less and less likable as I watch it. Each of them is irresponsible in some different ways, slowly destroying their own lives in very different ways because of their obsession with a game.

Yes, if this ruins your empathy with the characters, it easily spoils the fun.

Avilan the Grey
2010-08-05, 05:54 AM
Yes, if this ruins your empathy with the characters, it easily spoils the fun.

I have to point out that the reason Felicia Day started this show was because she had just experienced 2 years of intense WoW addiction (she herself).

Also, it has to be pointed out, they were more pathetic before S1E1; it was only Codex' desperate need to get rid of the "Warlock" on her couch that made any of them actually go outside and meet each other at all. Even at the worst moments of Season 3, they are still doing better than pre-season 1.

Edit: And S3E12, the final, is a CMOA for the guild.

Joran
2010-08-10, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure which I'm more disgusted by. Bladezz's food handling procedures or Clara's parenting skills.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-10, 05:35 PM
When did Clara develop parenting skills?

Dienekes
2010-08-10, 09:51 PM
Awesome, this is the first time I've been made aware of a new season while it's still going on.

When does it update?

Pocketa
2010-08-10, 09:55 PM
I watched it via Netflix stream, I've had some chuckles from it. It's cute for something indie.

Avilan the Grey
2010-08-11, 12:52 AM
When did Clara develop parenting skills?

...When she offered to teach them how to use the microwave? :smallwink:

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-08-11, 01:17 AM
That's still terrible parenting. My mother never wasted time with some online game. She was working two full-time jobs and four or five part-time jobs to make sure we all got college degrees.

Hallavast
2010-08-11, 01:31 AM
Ah, Vork. He has many qualities. Goal oriented, leadership skills, attention to detail. Pusuit of maximum efficiency for bare minimum standards, complete lack of emotion (usually), comically bald... He is, perhaps, the most interesting character in the series. He is a man that must be in complete control of his environment. To do this, his environment must be engineered to lower standards than most. He manages his budget efficiently by cutting out electricity and other niceities that most people find necessary. He maintains (and presumably owns) his own house and has escaped the pressures of working for clientel or an employer by living off of (stolen) social security. He has basically retired early by sacrificing his connection to the outside world (except for gaming, which he clings to desparately). In the game, he is the leader of a guild (a considerable responsibility which he takes very seriously), but his guild is a composite of outcasts that don't have anywhere else to go.

What especially intrigues me is the role of his alter ego in the game; a noble warrior serving the cause of righteousness (implied by his allusions to noble alignment and the "knights of good" thing) who protects his friends (tank). He is the antithesis of himself in real life. All this makes Vork a walking paradox. He has forsaken the real world so that he might succeed in a virtual one, but the energy he puts into doing this could have been used to succeed in the real world in the first place. And he has accepted all of this in stride. He accepts circumstances by which others would never abide in order to live on his own terms. After an ironic fashion, that by itself is something to look up to.

The birds are squab, btw. And don't worry. Most have been tested for diseases.

"We rejoice in the presence of our taint."

Priceless.

Avilan the Grey
2010-08-12, 12:53 AM
Vork is my favorite character I think. Codex is Felicia Day, so I enjoy watching her the most, but from a character standpoint yes he is my favorite.

Joran
2010-08-12, 12:35 PM
Awesome, this is the first time I've been made aware of a new season while it's still going on.

When does it update?

Tuesdays on MSN AKA Bing

Keld Denar
2010-08-12, 01:54 PM
As a recovering MMO addict (5 months sober!), I gotta say I find this hillarious. If you can't poke fun at flaws, 90% of comedy dies. Its a situational comedy, not a documentary. The over-the-topness of it adds to the satire. Compare their antics to the characters in Family Guy or Futurama or other such shows. Fry and Peter are no more over the top than Vork or Codex. Yea, it is a bit cheesy at times, but you just gotta take it in stride.

I did a lot of bad things because of WoW. I neglected a lot of friends, an ex gf, my college studies, a couple of jobs, and even my family. I'm not terribly proud of it, but looking back on it makes everything I've done since quitting that much more satisfying. It makes watching this series hillarious because I can relate, and while it's a bit embarassing, its also amusing to thing that I was indeed that bad and didn't even realize it at the time.

And yea...Felicia Day is BEYOND hotness. I mean...damn! Wow! Even her name is hot. :smallbiggrin:

Pocketa
2010-08-12, 08:38 PM
Even I want to be Felicia Day when I grow up.

Even me.

;_;

Thanks alot, Felicia, for setting ridiculously high standards for geeky girl everywhere.

Hallavast
2010-08-13, 01:11 AM

So do I! And I'm a dude!

Dr.Epic
2010-08-18, 03:22 AM

Even me.

My avatar would rather date her...or at least date her avatar. Also, Legend of Neil is also awesome. They just started their new season too.

As for the Guild, I'm finally all caught up with all the episodes. Saw the new episode yesterday and the thing with the blender was one of the few lapses in Clara's parenting I found funny as opposed to horrific.

Hallavast
2010-08-21, 02:14 AM
Also, Legend of Neil is also awesome. They just started their new season too.

Finally! LoN is another great webseries.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-21, 02:22 AM
Finally! LoN is another great webseries.

Yeah! I was first introduced to the series late on night when it was on Comedy Central's Super Late Fun Time. I was instantly hooked. I didn't even realize Felicia Day was the fairy until the musical episode.

Hallavast
2010-08-21, 02:27 AM
Yeah! I was first introduced to the series late on night when it was on Comedy Central's Super Late Fun Time. I was instantly hooked. I didn't even realize Felicia Day was the fairy until the musical episode.

Yep. Plus, one of the writer/directors is Sandeep Parikh (Zaboo from The Guild).

Dr.Epic
2010-08-21, 02:29 AM
Yep. Plus, one of the writer/directors is Sandeep Parikh (Zaboo from The Guild).

Yeah I know. In one episode he even wears a LoN shirt.

Knaight
2010-08-23, 12:06 AM
That's still terrible parenting. My mother never wasted time with some online game. She was working two full-time jobs and four or five part-time jobs to make sure we all got college degrees.

That's the point. Its because these characters are so incredibly pathetic and because they have locked themselves into a downward spiral while desperately trying and failing to get out that it is so hilarious. Clara can't parent at all, and its played for comedy with a great many scenes (e.g. the baby sucking on electrical supplies), Vork is living on welfare as a complete skinflint with no morality and a dose of odd cleverness, again played for comedy (casually explaining how he stole his neighbors shed by moving the fence a few inches annually and taking advantage of Alzheimers. These are not supposed to be role models, they are meant more to be laughed at than sympathized with, though they retain very human elements.

Athaniar
2010-08-23, 05:21 AM
If they weren't, I don't think I'd watch the show.

Killer Angel
2010-08-23, 05:58 AM
(I am also ashamed to admit that I now have both "Do you want to date my avatar" AND "Game on" on my iPhone).

I already knew "...date my Avatar", but saw "Game on" only today (shame on me?).
Horray for Bollywood! :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2010-08-23, 06:37 AM
If they weren't, I don't think I'd watch the show.

Assuming you are responding to the part of my previous post that came down to "the characters are to be laughed at not used as role models", I agree. If you don't treat them as the target of the humor The Guild stops being funny.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-23, 04:20 PM
Assuming you are responding to the part of my previous post that came down to "the characters are to be laughed at not used as role models", I agree. If you don't treat them as the target of the humor The Guild stops being funny.

Yeah, Bladezz and Tink (the two students who lack a lot of the full adult responsibilities) are the only characters who don't come off as horribly pathetic. Looking forward to the new episode tomorrow (and the new Legend of Neil which Felicia Day is also in).

Avilan the Grey
2010-08-24, 01:46 AM
Yeah, Bladezz and Tink (the two students who lack a lot of the full adult responsibilities) are the only characters who don't come off as horribly pathetic. Looking forward to the new episode tomorrow (and the new Legend of Neil which Felicia Day is also in).

Well now when Codex has a job, Vork rightfully laments about being the only one without a job (Clara is home by choice to take care of her kids (in theory :smallwink:), and Tinkerballa is a student AFAIK).

Tirian
2010-08-24, 05:53 AM
Tinkerballa is a student AFAIK.

Yeah. The Wiki article (which I'm sure is fueled by Word of God) states that Tinkerballa is a pre-med student who doesn't want her real-world friends to fidn out that she has a gaming addiction.

Avilan the Grey
2010-08-24, 06:10 AM
Speaking of Felicia Day (and why wouldn't you :smallwink:) I REALLY liked her Lightsaber fight (http://video.ign.com/dor/articles/1062228/jace-hall-show/videos/jacehall_prt_felicaday.html).

Dr.Epic
2010-08-24, 05:03 PM
Speaking of Felicia Day (and why wouldn't you :smallwink:) I REALLY liked her Lightsaber fight (http://video.ign.com/dor/articles/1062228/jace-hall-show/videos/jacehall_prt_felicaday.html).

I prefer her online musical.

Also, I love that the guy who does Vork is also in There Will Be Brawl.

Gimliggamer
2010-08-26, 10:47 PM
Bladdez is so epic. "Aaarg! Avast ye Sherman!":smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2010-08-26, 10:50 PM
Any bets on how long it'll take Codex to figure out Fawkes is just using her to continue attempting to destroy the KoG?

Dr.Epic
2010-08-31, 03:13 PM
Clara's and Tink's business idea made me LOL!

Dr.Epic
2010-09-07, 11:12 AM
Sorry for the double post, but the recent episode was awesome! I loved the Dr. Horrible reference in the opening!

Gimliggamer
2010-09-08, 12:27 AM
Expiration Dates are just mere suggestions! Like late fees and traffic lights!

Zexion
2010-09-11, 11:35 PM
Expiration Dates are just mere suggestions! Like late fees and traffic lights!
That is the best quote in the ENTIRE series. :smalltongue:

pedrie123
2010-09-13, 01:37 AM
Hey just reading through an article where I read that The Guild currently has over 45 million upload views on YouTube as of August 2010..Isnt it truelly cool.last season was a blast..

Dr.Epic
2010-09-17, 05:11 PM
Taste my Pirate Paddy!:smallbiggrin:

Creed
2010-09-20, 06:51 PM
Do you want to know why my Roger is so <censored> jolly?!

Dr.Epic
2010-09-20, 07:00 PM
Burgers Ahoy!

Creed
2010-09-20, 07:02 PM
Walk the plank down to Cheesy Beard's!

This will never end...:smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-09-20, 07:04 PM
Arr! I'm a PIRATE!