PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Ranger through Pathfinder Core

Project_Cobalt
2010-07-28, 05:43 AM
So in the current game I'm playing, I've been called upon to make a second character, and Halfling Ranger is the likely candidate.

It's Pathfinder Core only, and 20 point buy for ability generation, and starting at 6th level. Anyone have any suggestions? I was browsing over and considering taking levels in Rogue for the sneak attack to offset the halfling damage penalties (small, negative strength), but I'm not sold on it 100%.

PId6
2010-07-28, 05:53 AM
Guide to Rangers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2/treantmonk-s-guide-to-rangers)

PF rangers are not great, but are doable. You'll have a hard time dealing good damage compared to a rogue or barbarian, but you can still contribute. Just don't ever build a TWF ranger.

Project_Cobalt
2010-07-28, 05:55 AM
Man, how did I not find that on the SRD? I was -looking- for it, and I couldn't find it. Weird. Also, of course. TWF with small weapons means you might as well just rip up the character for the most part.

Runeclaw
2010-07-28, 01:33 PM
A roc companion makes a good flying mount for a small ranger. From the Bestiary.

Mojo_Rat
2010-07-28, 02:34 PM
halflin raner with twf by around level 9 is doing about +11/+6 1d4+10 mainhand and +13/+8 1d4+10 offhand

this seems pretty good to me on 20 pt buy you can sart off wih 14 str 18 dex as a halfling, take power attack as your first level feat, combat style twf at level 2 and weapon finess at 3.

Bow ranger at the sme level will be +11/+11/+6 1d6+10ish witht he first shot being manyshot. It is aloittle better but i dont think the Twf halfling ranger is that horrible.

As an added note i did these numers in my head so may no tbe 100% accurage but should be reasnably close.

Edit note realized i forgot o add twf and rapid shot -2 penaltie s