PDA

View Full Version : Arena Tournament Round 93: De'Athbypro Xie vs NPC #354

ArenaManager
2010-07-28, 09:07 AM
Arena Tournament, Round 93: De'Athbypro Xie vs. NPC #354

Map:http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/09-dawn_arena.png
Extra notes: Houses are on average 20 feet high (just use that average figure all over the house), hay piles are up to 10 feet high against the walls. And, I don't care whether you're immune to sanctuary effects, you are not immune to the arena's sanctuary effect. Creatures summoned during the 1st round are also affected by the sanctuary effect.

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

De'Athbypro Xie (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=8141) - Psionic Dog
NPC #354 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=214453) - TheFallenOne

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare final purchases, if any

TheFallenOne
2010-07-28, 09:26 AM
<---- not amused :smallannoyed:

Initiative [roll0]

Potion Enlarge Person 50 GP
Faith Healing 50 GP

Psionic Dog
2010-07-28, 05:10 PM
[roll0]

Lets see. Enlarge Person. That gives you what, a 30ft reach? That's a refreshingly new counter.

Purchases:

Nevermind, no planed purchase. Lets get this thing started.

TheFallenOne
2010-07-28, 05:25 PM
40 feet I believe, though admittedly I'm not sure, have to read up the wording of Inhuman Reach again. Won't matter for this match anyway

You may have noticed the lack of a Resist Potion. I have no ambition to win here; after our previous run-ins I daresay that second to you I know best what Xie is capable of, and wiping the floor with my commoner is certainly among it. Plus, going through the losers bracket gives an additonal match on the way to the final and my only ambition with Aberrant Commoner is reaching level 2. To do that through the winners bracket I'd actually have to win the Round, a tad unrealistic

Still, I don't want to deny Xie his comeuppance against me by simply throwing the towel, so I'll try to draw some blood or at least sweat without wasting expendables. Who knows, maybe I win through another lucky crit like against Random? :smalltongue:

oh, forgot to buy a grappling hook with silk rope. Do so

Starting position:

D10, spear in hands, grappling hook with rope in mouth

Ready to go once you declare starting location and held items

Psionic Dog
2010-07-28, 05:48 PM
Hey! The one reason I didn't make a purchase was to deny you a reaction to pick up forgotten items. Like a grappling hook for example.

Still, I'll admit you didn't declare an end to purchases, but now I need to think of reactions. I'd rather my Silver Medalist not get defeated by a commoner in the 2nd round after all. :smallwink:

*thinking*

TheFallenOne
2010-07-28, 06:04 PM
heh, good question. If I don't say either "done" or "not done" after initial purchases could I still buy something or not... I tend to say "not done" when I'm still thinking about additional stuff, but no idea if it is required. Well, I'd prefer not to extend our record of required High Ref calls for this one, though for future reference I think it would be helpful if we two as High Refs can agree to a general guideline on how the purchases phase is handled

And I doubt this will be hard for Xie with the buildings and Up the Walls. Makes me miss Sturmherzens mobility

Psionic Dog
2010-07-28, 06:13 PM
Well, if we're setting policy I'd recommend that anyone still thinking on purchases must note "Other purchases under consideration" or similar to clarify. But that's for the future.

Hmm. My biggest danger is getting boxed in, and the best defense against that is extra speed and emergency touch AC.

So...
Powerstone with Deflection Field and Skate: 50 gp.

No other purchases planed, reserve right to reactions etc etc...

Xie starts in X-10 with a power stone in mouth and shortbow in one hand.
Oxie is in X-11 holding a crossbow.

TheFallenOne
2010-07-28, 06:26 PM
Aberrant Commoner Turn 1

Run to W10

done

Psionic Dog
2010-07-28, 06:54 PM
On Reach:

Medium Humanoid Base Reach is 5 ft.
If Enlarged to Large this increases to 10ft.
Inhuman reach add +5 natural reach, for 15 ft natural when enlarged.
A Reach weapon is double this, striking 20, 25, and 30 ft away. Not bad for a L1 commoner.

De'Athbypro Xie - Round 1

The elf turns and runs up the building while the Santuary still holds to end in X-10 40ft latter.

Oxie the enjoy lets out a high pitch squeak of terror at the close encounter and double moves upward to X-6/+25 above Xie's head.

Xie then manifests a power:
DC 16 Psicraft
Vigor on self, shared with Envoy.

Done

Stats
Xie:
HP: 12+5/12
AC: 16 [+3 armor +3 dex]
PP: 3/4
Psionic Focus: Yes
Vigor: 10/10 (shared with envoy)

Oxie:
HP: 13+5/13
AC: 19 [+1 size +2 armor +3 dex +3 natural]

TheFallenOne
2010-07-28, 07:03 PM
hm, misstyped there? You said Oxie is above Xies head, but locations given are X10(your starting location) and X6+25

Psionic Dog
2010-07-28, 07:34 PM
Another misstype? :smallredface:

Xie should be in X-6 also, the only place he could logically be after clearly running up the side of a building and ending with his enjoy 5ft above him.

Someday one of those typo's will be ambiguous enough that Bad Things will happen. I've got to break that typo habit before then...

TheFallenOne
2010-07-28, 07:41 PM
yeah, keeping right next to me would have been rather unhealthy I guess :smallbiggrin: But to your luck the intention was clear enough and X10 is your starting location, so you can't take a move action there

One day it will be your downfall, I look forward to seeing it happen :smalltongue:

Aberrant Commoner Turn 2

Move to W7
Spear in one hand, grappling hook to other hand
throw grappling hook aiming for W7 [roll0] use rope. DC 14

done

Psionic Dog
2010-07-29, 04:22 PM
De'Athbypro Xie

Oxie: Fly by attack!
Fly the long way to X7/+25, somehow using 10 ft of movement.
Standard: Zap the mutant commoner.
[roll0] [roll1]

Not finished...

TheFallenOne
2010-07-29, 04:28 PM
"Owsie"

hm, no damage bonus and you didn't say Xies power came from the stone, so looks like it was Vigor after all unless you made a mistake somewhere. Carry on

Psionic Dog
2010-07-29, 04:31 PM
... how was I expecting 2d6 to ever deal 13+ damage again anyway?

Continued,
Oxie flies back to X6/+25 then down to W6/+20 just above the roof top.

Xie:
Move: Draw Longsword
Standard: Ready Action
Attack the rope tied to the W6/7 grappling hook and then 5ft step if NPC ever climbs more than 10ft up the rope, enlarges, attacks, readies an action, ends turn, or moves out of LoS

Done

Stats
Xie:
Vigor: 10/10 (shared with envoy)

Oxie:
HP: 13+5/13

TheFallenOne
2010-07-29, 04:45 PM
... how was I expecting 2d6 to ever deal 13+ damage again anyway?

well, you did get an announced critical with the lightning on Sturmherz, remember? :smallwink:

Hm, interesting move. I noticed I made a mistake by placing the hook right next to you after posting my turn, but I didn't expect this. So the thought seems to be to sunder the rope once I climb up... Hm, AC should be 5(2 inch thinkness should be tiny size despite the length) and it has 4 HP. With +1 to hit, d8+1 damage that gives a 36,5 % chance it won't be destroyed Rather bad, but I'm fighting an uphill battle anyway, so High Risk - High Reward is to my advantage

And Oxie conveniently blocks the square I want to climb into... well, let's see how this turns out

Nightmare Commoner Turn 3

Switch spear to mouth
partial move: accelerated climb to W7+15. Autosuccess

let's see what happens first

Psionic Dog
2010-07-29, 05:00 PM
Readied action triggers. Once NPC #354 reaches a convenient 10.5 ft off the ground Xie attempts to give the rope the chop chop and then 5ft steps backwards to W-5.

[roll0] [roll1]

Lets see how or if that changes NPC's actions:

Edit: You don't suppose Oxie gives a flanking bonus on the rope sunder do you?

TheFallenOne
2010-07-29, 05:06 PM
unless my AC calculation was off that's a miss :smallbiggrin::smallcool::smalltongue:

concering your edit:

When making a melee attack, you get a +2 flanking bonus if your opponent is threatened by a character or creature friendly to you on the opponent’s opposite border or opposite corner.

When in doubt about whether two friendly characters flank an opponent in the middle, trace an imaginary line between the two friendly characters’ centers. If the line passes through opposite borders of the opponent’s space (including corners of those borders), then the opponent is flanked.

First, the rope is no opponent. Second, Oxie and rope are in the same square, so the condition of the second paragraph doesn't apply either

Now, Oxie is said to hold his crossbow, but onehanded or twohanded grip was never specified. And it kinda matters now since I want to grapple him. So, for a twohanded ranged weapon that can be fired at a penalty with one hand, what is the default "hold" when it wasn't clarified?

Psionic Dog
2010-07-29, 05:55 PM
Personally I'd say one handed like with a bow. There is no mechanics reason to holding a crossbow two handed when not shooting or prepared to shoot.

Sorry for not clarifying. If you wish to call in a ref to make a ruling go ahead.

TheFallenOne
2010-07-29, 06:02 PM
hm... Tell you what, I'll try a grapple either way. Either from +15 if the crossbow is held in two hands, or from +10(since my movement was interrupted there by the readied I don't have to move to +15 like initially announced), no problem with 10 feet reach on my tentacles. In the latter case you'd have +4 cover bonus to AC. So if I hit/miss either way the question becomes moot for now, if the +4 make the difference we'll hit the Waiting Room

melee touch with tentacle [roll0] AC 14 or 18
opposed grapple [roll1]

possible damage [roll2] nonlethal

move into Oxies square if success

End Turn however this turns out

edit: good news: question is irrelevant. Better news: awesome attack roll. Very bad news: blew the grapple roll :smallannoyed:

edit2: hm, the Waiting Room discussion reveals some interesting things... anyway, it will only make a difference if you win the grapple because then my location depends on whether or not you can AoO. If I win the grapple, I'm in Oxies square and it's your turn

Sallera
2010-07-30, 03:06 PM
You have to complete your movement to +15 regardless, since the readied action was triggered by climbing further than +10.

TheFallenOne
2010-07-30, 03:10 PM
oh, wasn't aware of that. Very well

edit: oh damn, now the question to the grip actually becomes relevant because there might be an AoO O.o

Psionic Dog
2010-07-30, 04:26 PM
Come to think of it the AoO was never relevant anyway. I believe you always had cover from a melee attack, and having cover blocks AoO.

[roll0]

hustlertwo
2010-07-30, 04:30 PM
Yeah, roof edge would probably provide cover on at least one point, and that's all you need for melee.

TheFallenOne
2010-07-30, 04:38 PM
I somehow thought that cover preventing AoOs only applied to AoOs for movement. I'll look it up just in case, but guess I was wrong

anyway, I grapple Oxie now, your turn.
Sweating already?That's all I wanted :smalltongue:

hustlertwo
2010-07-30, 04:40 PM
I somehow thought that cover preventing AoOs only applied to AoOs for movement. I'll look it up just in case, but guess I was wrong

anyway, I grapple Oxie now, your turn.
Sweating already?That's all I wanted :smalltongue:

Nah. I used that to cast Color Spray while adjacent to my target, since we were at the corner of one of the Sanctuary houses. Just one corner, and you've got cover.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-30, 04:52 PM
De'Athbypro Xie - Round 3

Xie: Standard: whack the grappling commoner with sword.
[roll0] [roll1]

Oxie:
Free: Crossbow to one hand.
Standard: Punch the commoner
[roll2] (including -4 for using a natural weapon in a grapple)
[roll3]

Done

Stats
Vigor: 8/10 (shared with envoy)

Oxie:
HP: 13+5/13 (6 non lethal)

TheFallenOne
2010-07-30, 04:58 PM
Yeah, kinda expected that I run out of steam before I take Oxie down. Xie hits for game, well done :smallsmile:

Sallera
2010-07-30, 05:24 PM
High Ref Sallera

De'Athbypro Xie takes the traditional approach to dealing with tentacles and claims victory.

hustlertwo
2010-07-30, 05:24 PM
The match barely lasts longer than the debate around it, and Deathbyproxie (not typing it the actual way) wins!

Curses!

TheFallenOne
2010-07-30, 05:38 PM
heh, at least the discussion got us the attention of multiple High Refs :smallbiggrin:
Really, I'd be disappointed by now if I manage to go through a match with Psidog without setting some precedent, preferably exotic(maintaining a grapple with a flyer by jumping into his square and then drag him down with your weight? I don't even dare to put that in the precedent list, like it will come up again, well, ever)

Though Psidog, I have some really bad news

Part of me sort of hopes the jump-gliding works so I can continue to say De'Athbypro has won more matches than he has dealt damage. The other part of me just wants to smack this caffeinated flying squirrel. :smallwink:

That isn't true anymore. Hope it's not too harsh on you

Psionic Dog
2010-07-30, 06:36 PM
*snif* :smallfrown:
So true and so said. Rest In Peace damage claim.

Ok, time of morning has passed, and the Elf lives on. :smallcool:

Anyway, I technically already lost that title last match when DeathByProxie inflicted 4 points of acid damage, dealing 1 point of damage for every win achieved. :smallwink:

TheFallenOne
2010-07-30, 06:45 PM
oh, right, forgot about that one. I thought it was all Oxie

Well, that means only 8 more victories without dealing damage and you're at it again. Go the distance :smalltongue:

Though come to think of it, Sturmherz likely will lose his impressive LoS record(3 in 4 matches) too next Round, given that it is a 2vs2 on Clouds... Pity

hustlertwo
2010-07-30, 06:56 PM
Ugh, Clouds. Nothing like fighting someone you know, with 100% certainty, you can beat, who decides that instead of facing the music he'd rather skulk around and hide for thirty rounds. Worst game of Battleship ever. Would have taken even longer if his heavy armor didn't make him clank around like Durkon and give me pinpoints and specific directions all the time.

TheFallenOne
2010-07-30, 07:07 PM
well, the alternative is playing with Sturmherz on Lava again, so... Plus, with Scent and insane speed I'm very sure I can force LoS even on Clouds easily, it's not like there are obstacles. But without those boosts, yeah, I guess Clouds can be a test of patience