PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Warlock balance question

ErrantX
2010-07-28, 10:44 AM
So, I'm looking to do some homebrewing and house ruling with the warlock, so I'm asking the opinion of the Playground here.

If I change Eldritch Blast to be usable as if it were a normal ranged attack (not ranged touch), would it be too strong or too weak to allow for iterative attacks? Should I give iterative attacks on a ranged touch ray?

Secondly, ramping up the damage to 1d6 per caster level (cap of 20d6 at 20th).

Lastly, 1 invocation per level.

Where would this place the warlock tier-wise? Is this just too much?

-X

Prodan
2010-07-28, 10:45 AM
Might make it tier 3.

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-28, 10:55 AM
I approximate my warlock to be tier 3, though I know somebody else did something very similar to what you are proposing. Can't remember the name though.

ErrantX
2010-07-28, 10:59 AM
Tier 3 is my goal here. Pump the hit die to a d8 and make Hideous Blow work like it should, allowing for iterative attacks in a round adding eldritch blast damage. At that point Hideous Blow would be Eldritch Glaive.

-X

balistafreak
2010-07-28, 11:38 AM
Fix: fully define Hideous Blow/Eldritch Glaive as a creating a separate weapon that you take weapon-like actions with.

I believe that as written you cannot charge/trip/whatever with either, since you specifically take an action to make a melee touch attack.

ErrantX
2010-07-28, 11:49 AM
Well mostly I want Eldritch Glaive to go the way of the dodo and fix Hideous Blow so it actually works like it should. That way their eldritch blast charged weapon can still be used for stuff.

-X

Marnath
2010-07-29, 01:42 PM
Maybe you could change hideous blow to like a free action or something so you arent wasting two turns for one hit? Idk, i dont know enough about warlocks to really say more than that.

Prime32
2010-07-29, 02:31 PM
There's something like this here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Warlock_%283.5e_Class%29). No invocations, but it gains access to Spheres (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Tome_of_Fiends_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29/Spheres_and_Feats#Fiendish_Spheres) instead (and can thus have anything from 54 1/day SLAs to 18 at-will ones).