PDA

View Full Version : Name for a Changeling Rogue [3/3.5e]

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-28, 02:44 PM
As the title says, what kind of names would you suggest for a Changeling Rogue? He acts sneakily, enjoys becoming other people and uses his talent to its fullest extent, and thinks of himself as Male.

I do of course mean the character's real name, here, he will have many aliases and so will use multiple names, but this is the name he thinks about himself as.

Edit: Just thought of a name, "Otnay Aay Hangelingcay"... No good?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-28, 02:46 PM
Hank.
<obligatory character minimum>

Kosjsjach
2010-07-28, 02:57 PM
I called my built-but-not-yet-played Changeling Rogue/Cloistered Cleric/Shadowbane Stalker Pike, for no good reason. Though you have to figure, a character like yours that can change his appearance at will and presumably has decent Perform (acting) skill is going to have alot of aliases. Think of a bunch of go-to personae (like a feeble old man, a seductive young lady, a harmless vagabond, a snooty nobleman...), give them names and base personality traits, and pull them out whenever the situation calls for it.

To supplement your disguise, look up the Vestment of Many Styles in Races of Eberron (p.175, 500gp). Change your clothing to match your face!

Another neat trick I read about was: if you show people your face as that of a changeling, they'll assume they're seeing your true form. But nothing prevents you from making yourself look like a different changeling.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-28, 03:00 PM
I called my built-but-not-yet-played Changeling Rogue/Cloistered Cleric/Shadowbane Stalker Pike, for no good reason. Though you have to figure, a character like yours that can change his appearance at will and presumably has decent Perform (acting) skill is going to have alot of aliases. Think of a bunch of go-to personae (like a feeble old man, a seductive young lady, a harmless vagabond, a snooty nobleman...), give them names and base personality traits, and pull them out whenever the situation calls for it.

To supplement your disguise, look up the Vestment of Many Styles in Races of Eberron (p.175, 500gp). Change your clothing to match your face!

Another neat trick I read about was: if you show people your face as that of a changeling, they'll assume they're seeing your true form. But nothing prevents you from making yourself look like a different changeling.

I plan to purchase the Vestment of Many Styles as soon as possible, and when I can afford it move on to the Robe of Professions (5000gp :smalleek:)

I have considered the looking like a different Changeling thing, and it will come in very handy methinks when under interrogation etc. This is an Evil campaign, so I plan to imitate Mystique in X-Men 3, and appear to be torturer's loved ones etc.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-28, 03:06 PM
Billium Boceratious.

Coplantor
2010-07-28, 03:14 PM
The Incredible Shifto!
The Amazing Formo!

Or maybe Marlar Shiparcil

grarrrg
2010-07-28, 03:17 PM
Sneaky rogue that changes appearance?
Nahta Rogyur Lu'Kinfer

Ernir
2010-07-28, 03:18 PM
If I ever play a Changeling Rogue, I'm going to keep him constantly equipped with a stream of fake names, never giving out his real one. In fact, he may have forgotten what that one even was to begin with...

Vitruviansquid
2010-07-28, 03:23 PM
Use the DM's name. If the DM isn't male, give a male-ified version of that name.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-28, 03:31 PM
Woah, woah, woah! Only one name for your Changeling?! You're doing it wrong!:smalltongue:

In all seriousness though, just grab a random name generator and go from there. That or look into Races of Destiny for possible human names and take whatever strikes your fancy. My usual habit is to hit an online resource for weird and obscure names, grab something with a meaning that roughly fits the character concept, and go from there.

Morph Bark
2010-07-28, 03:44 PM
Hank.
<obligatory character minimum>

My group actually has had a few characters named Henk/Hank that all had a bit of a theme going, like a running joke.

To go with the idea of "Otnay Aay Hangelingcay"... how about Tallyto Manhu, Elvis Orxfort-Duergen Jr. or Quartree Bertèlez Romero?

Theodoriph
2010-07-28, 03:46 PM
Odo

<obligatory character requirement>

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-07-28, 03:51 PM
There is only one name I'd ever push for a changeling: Anon.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-28, 03:53 PM

I actually really like that... His name is Anon because he never has a set identity... I shall ponder it...

Keep suggestions coming people, serious if you got 'em and humourous if you don't :smalltongue:.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-28, 04:01 PM

Okay, now that just straight out wins. Sir, enjoy your internet.

flabort
2010-07-28, 04:11 PM
Birth name: Nemo

Alt./discuise names:
George
Lucas
Adam
Julie
Gloria
James

Or, you could go with more exotic names, depending on setting.

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-28, 05:08 PM
I always call my changeling characters Paik (pronounced to rhyme with cake in my opinion).
It was the only name in the Eberron core book that didn't suck, and it grew on me.

Fayd
2010-07-28, 05:14 PM
How does Guy sound?

It has a lot of funny ways you can use it, plus it is intentionally a little confusing for NPCs and such.

Elfin
2010-07-28, 05:18 PM

Now that is made of some serious awesome.

mobdrazhar
2010-07-28, 05:39 PM
Odo

<obligatory character requirement>

beat me to it :smalltongue:

kladams707
2010-07-28, 05:51 PM
I'd name mine Jack.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-28, 05:51 PM
I'm considering John Everyman...

Morph Bark
2010-07-28, 05:56 PM
I'm considering John Everyman...

Would be more thematically fitting for a Factotum though.

Or John Doesit.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-28, 07:08 PM
My group actually has had a few characters named Henk/Hank that all had a bit of a theme going, like a running joke.

To go with the idea of "Otnay Aay Hangelingcay"... how about Tallyto Manhu, Elvis Orxfort-Duergen Jr. or Quartree Bertèlez Romero?

I have a grudge with unnecessarily complicated names, or names that don't really make sense.

I mean, if you are born in a culture, you are likely going to have a name related to that culture. "Otnay Hangelingcay" sounds like a piglatin joke.

Prime32
2010-07-28, 07:39 PM
Changeling names normally have only one syllable. Pick two consonants and a vowel and you're done.

Siosilvar
2010-07-28, 08:52 PM
I mean, if you are born in a culture, you are likely going to have a name related to that culture. "Otnay Hangelingcay" sounds like a piglatin joke.

Because it is.

err.. Sigah Jidha? Produced by randomly typing on my keyboard and deleting the middle three letters. Sounds vaguely... Arabian?

Zom B
2010-07-28, 09:20 PM
If I ever play a Changeling Rogue, I'm going to keep him constantly equipped with a stream of fake names, never giving out his real one. In fact, he may have forgotten what that one even was to begin with...

That's the way I am going to play my Changeling Beguiler in an upcoming game. His default name is Renard (most people don't know what that means) and he wears a leather fox mask, for reasons unknown. But when asked his name, he may say something like, "Call me...Fen. I've always liked that name."

Traveler
2010-07-28, 09:25 PM
Have a name for every apperance or better yet, just make a new name every few sessions. Why be limited to one when you can change who you are?

Lev
2010-07-28, 09:28 PM
Collen Onimos

Zaq
2010-07-28, 09:31 PM
The Changeling in one of my current games goes by the name of Janus. We like it.

Fayd
2010-07-28, 09:37 PM
The Changeling in one of my current games goes by the name of Janus. We like it.

If he takes on a female form, would you name him/her Janice?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-28, 10:00 PM
Mine doesn't swing the "name per form" way. It's Aya, and she has stereotypes instead of names. Glory, Intrigue, Fear, Innocence. Each has a set of qualities, appearance, and personalities appropriate for the form. Names are made on the spot.

Lyndworm
2010-07-28, 10:40 PM
I had a changeling Factotum/Chameleon called Veriz Kansitripli. It's subtle.

Zom B
2010-07-28, 10:56 PM
So subtle I'm not sure I see it. "Veriz" could sound like someone saying "Where is" with a German accent...

Lyndworm
2010-07-28, 10:58 PM
It's a play on Varies. Varies Considerably. :smallredface:

HunterOfJello
2010-07-28, 11:00 PM
how about Ditto?

I'd definitely pick something short and sweet, probably a three letter name

Zom B
2010-07-28, 11:03 PM
It's a play on Varies. Varies Considerably. :smallredface:

You creak back the lid of the treasure chest, and inside, you find a Masterwork Win.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-28, 11:32 PM
You should name him: Hue Man. xP

Lyndworm
2010-07-29, 12:02 AM
You creak back the lid of the treasure chest, and inside, you find a Masterwork Win.
I wish my signature wasn't already bloated. I'd totally add this. :smallsmile:
I made room.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-29, 04:54 AM
Going with the one-syllable idea, here are my thoughts:

Klo
Ing
Red (And, in all seriousness, always be ginger?)
Pox
Zot
Yim

ShinyRocks
2010-07-29, 05:38 AM
You should call him Stabby McSwitcheroo.

Lyra Reynolds
2010-07-29, 09:43 AM
My Changeling Bard is named Lux - his Changeling form is really light grey. And it's a one-syllable name.
My Changeling Rogue didn't grow up in a Changeling community, so she has a two-syllable name, Lyra. :) And so far she only has one other personality that she uses regularly.

What my two Changelings always keep in mind - especially Lux, since he uses his powers much more often, as he grew up in a Changeling community and is used to having multiple personalities - is to always use the same initials, for a sense of consistency and to keep track of their names. Lux always uses LM as his initials, for example.

Trasilor
2010-07-29, 09:49 AM
What about Aka?

AustontheGreat1
2010-07-29, 09:55 AM
I usually like to name my rogues with just words that fit the theme, like Stalker or Sneak. It's a little unoriginal but it usually works well because its recognizable and easy to remember. My suggestion is Stranger.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-29, 09:57 AM
He thinks of himself with a large amount of grandeur, so I have another suggestion for myself:

The Many.

What do you think?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-29, 09:57 AM
"Factoid". Bonus if you know the Torment's Factoids, monsters that spawn from absurd lies that are believed by even more absurd people.

AustontheGreat1
2010-07-29, 09:58 AM
He thinks of himself with a large amount of grandeur, so I have another suggestion for myself:

The Many.

What do you think?

I once had a changling Druid/Rogue/Master of Many Forms with that title. I approve.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-29, 09:59 AM
I once had a Changling Druid/Rogue/Master of Many Forms with that title. I approve.

What is this "Master of Many Forms"? It intrigues me greatly :smallbiggrin:

AustontheGreat1
2010-07-29, 10:01 AM
What is this "Master of Many Forms"? It intrigues me greatly :smallbiggrin:

Its a druid prestige from Complete Adventurer. Basically, it greatly increases the types of forms the druid can take.

Here is the handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules)

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-29, 10:03 AM
Its a druid prestige from Complete Adventurer. Basically, it greatly increases the types of forms the druid can take.

Here is the handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules)

Ah, thank you :smallsmile:

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-07-29, 11:35 AM

The Many.

What do you think?

As if the names already suggested weren't bad enough, having the rogue introduce himself by saying "My name is Legion: for we are many." is just a little too much. :smalltongue:

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-29, 11:35 AM
As if the names already suggested weren't bad enough, having the rogue introduce himself by saying "we are Legion" is just a little too much. :smalltongue:

:smallbiggrin: You guessed my plan :smalltongue:

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-07-29, 11:43 AM
I think another (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Am_I%3F) approach would be far more amusing. Nothing says hilarity like a changeling "mind-raped" so as to only forget "his" identity.

Morph Bark
2010-07-29, 12:57 PM
Going with the one-syllable idea, here are my thoughts:

Klo
Ing
Red (And, in all seriousness, always be ginger?)
Pox
Zot
Yim

Those make me think of a Changeling named Kling. Who'd go into battle shouting "Kling on!" as his battlecry.

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-07-29, 04:50 PM
Vehts Heese-Phase