PDA

View Full Version : The Story So Far.

Omergideon
2010-07-28, 03:47 PM
Disclaimer: This is my opinion. The Giant may well disagree and I won't take it personally if you do to.

Well, a while back I began doing mini reviews of the OoTS comics. Mostly because I was bored with the new strip threads consisting of short comments of praise or damnation. That stopped when my computer died so wether anyone is interested or not I will being doing a catch up review of the most recent story arcs, starting with the Azure City mini arc (strips 699-709)

To begin with this little sequence seems not to advance the story much. It confirms several plot elements and colours in a few grey areas but the story does not move forwards much. This is not a criticism though. Such interludes can be essential to effective storytelling and this one I felt was. The plot elements expanded on whilst in some respect peripheral do flesh out the world significantly as well as offering explorations of certain ideas. The arc however was about the characters in team Evil. As such I will focus on what was revealed about them, what I think it means and how it may affect things to come.

In brief though the outline of the story is this. Tusikko is working on the ritual. MitD is looking for O'Chul. Redcloak is finishing the establishment of his nation before he leaves. And the resistance continues. That is essentially the plot of the story. As I said not much happens. But we do get a proper insight into Team Evil as characters and how recent events have changed them. Running by them one by one I will try to explain how this arc has affected them.

Redcloak: As the most important character of this recent arc we get to see how his priorities have changed since last time. If we recall he really got a lashing from Xykon over the phylactory thing and I think it's clear that he has been shaken up by it. Over and again his dialogue shows that he wishes he could be rid of Xykon, more so than ever before. He seems to finally be awakening to the real peril of his situation. Also his pride in the new nation of Gobbotopia, and his desire to see it succeed, has become paramount. 2 events though really show us who Redcloak now is. The first is in strip 701 where he looks into the mirror. his need to reassure himself (and his brother by proxy) shows a vulnerability to him. The second and much more telling moment though is in 708. He says to the guard that he wants to know how many goblins died, not how many prisoners escaped. That tells us so much by his acts how he now only wants to see goblins rise. I almost feel that with these revelations he might be willing to let everyone be happy so long as his people can live in peace. In short he is a changed Goblin, now more eager to ditch Xykon and more caring about his followers wellbeing. I think that now if he had to choose he would ditch the Plan, or at least would consider it.

MiTD: Like Redcloak he has changed a lot. The first strip really was about him and whilst he acts as a preipheral character much of the time the most important change is seen immeadiately. He is being proactive. The MiTD is actively doing something meaningful(ish) to help his friend. How this will play out is anyones guess but this marks the first time he has become an active force in the comic. And his loyalty to O'Chul is becoming extremely touching. It adds depth to the character and opens up real possibilities for future events. Finally, in a small aside his recognition of the split nature of the spell (strip 700) shows he is more aware of what is going on than anyone realises, as do his jokes about Xykons nature and increased willingness to stand up for himself (strip 709).

Tusikko: Well she now finally has some depth. not a lot it is true but her love of the undead is expanded on. Her reasoning is flawed and IMO wrong but it shows that she has some reason for how she is. Wether this is ever followed up on it certainly suggests a more significant role for her in the future. More important though is what she was doing. In potentially the most significant part of this arc we find out she is working on the ritual without Redcloak knowing. This could mean a few things, but I think it suggests that Xykon is cutting Redcloak out. He doesn't want to need him anymore. My own theory is that it is the first sign that team Evil will fall apart soon (perhaps suggesting a face turn for Redcloak?). That would completely change the dynamics of the story and probably will be very important later on. Vital even. Also in a small note, hints exist in the strips that Xykon has taken her into his confidence, reinforcing my theory and hinting at big changes to come.

With the major characters out of the way I will comment on the events that occurred. The general recognition of Gobbotopia in the world at large, and the continuing efforts of the resistance are interesting. In my mind they are not a forced political allegory or anything like that. They do however raise interesting questions. When does an occupation become a legitimate government? What measures are allowed for resistance fighters? Who is in the right here? I would not dare offer definitive answers but certainly the issues are raised. Without doubt the attack on Azure city was wrong and they have polocies such as slavery, but there are now Goblins living who may have been born there. They are recognised by the world at large, and appear to be content with the one city and offer sanctuary to other races. Also the resistance whilst operating to free their homeland (a noble goal) clearly are very harsh. The killing of the Goblin partygoers and the Prisoner show the less noble side of their conflict. Were I pressed for an opinion I would say that for now my sympathies are with the resistance, but that would change as the Gobbotopia born population increases. In a few short strips a very complex issue is presented, and presented in a way that lets us think.

To finish, and so nobody thinks I am too serious about this review, I will close by saying that there was a lot of fun in the arc. Plenty of decent gags peppered the pages making it enjoyable to read. The action scenes too were brisk, well crafted and did not overstay their welcome. Finally the artwork was as impressive as ever. The giant really does know how to use the comic format (and the return of crayon, seemingly as a signature element of "mythic" tales is a great touch). The interplay between the characters was also fun. But at it's heart this was about exploring the situation and it did so in an economic but fulfilling way. A great mini arc on other words.

Overall 4 stars, hampered only by the lack of plot advancement.

Joerg
2010-07-29, 02:06 PM
I'll just say that I like your reviews of the comic strips (of course I don't always agree, but I usually don't take the time to reply), and also that review of the mini-arc. Nothing against the short "this strip was great" or "that panel made me laugh" comments, but it's good that there are also such contributions with more depth.

Keep it up, and don't hesitate to make story arc reviews even if your computer doesn't break :smallwink:

Ted The Bug
2010-07-30, 09:39 PM
I've always liked your mini-reviews, and this is no exception.
Like the previous poster said, keep em up. :smallbiggrin: