PDA

View Full Version : Computer/Internet help

Syka
2010-07-28, 08:16 PM
My laptop's wireless has begun randomly turning itself off. I thought it was just after hibernating and moving to where there was a different wireless network, but it just did it to me when my computer was on and connected. Then it became unconnected.

It's an easy enough fix (troubleshoot and then it enables my wireless), but highly annoying. I'm running WebRoot right now and will run MalwareBytes afterwards. I'm just wondering if you had any thoughts.

Could it maybe be a battery saving setting? I think it's only happened when on battery power, but it only just began happening and I've been using it on battery power frequently for 2 months about.

ApeofLight
2010-07-28, 08:26 PM
Maybe whatever it uses to find the wireless networks and stuff got a little fried? Or maybe you have it set so it tries to use a wired network first before using the wireless?

I don't know if anything is wrong per say but it does sound annoying.

TSGames
2010-07-28, 10:11 PM
While this is not a tech-help board, there are some fairly capable power-users on this board, and we may very well be able to help. However, more information will go a long way toward helping us help you.

1)What OS are you running?

2)What is the manufacturer and model number of the wireless card in your laptop?

3)Has it always been like this?
3-a)If not, was there a recent power surge? Did you recently install a new update, patch or software?

Offhand, I cannot provide meaningful advice without at least knowing what version of Windows and which wireless card you have, but it does sound like it could be a driver issue. Regardless, a driver is easy to fix and is usually your best bet. In "Device Manager" you can pull up device and driver information. Make sure to try to update the driver. If Windows informs you that it is up to date, double check the manufacturer's website to make sure that you actually are running the best driver(NEVER DOWNLOAD DRIVERS FROM 3RD PARTY SITES).

Let us know if it turns out to be a driver issue; if it's not we can probably figure it out.