PDA

View Full Version : The Fool (DnD 3.5) PEACH

ForzaFiori
2010-07-28, 09:19 PM
Background:

This class is based off of the Fool’s Guild, from the series of books by Alan Gordon. For those of you unfamiliar with the books, they follow a fool who’s guild name is Theophilos as he solves various mysteries. For it turns out that the various jesters around the world are all actually part of a “Fool’s Guild”, who are dedicated to helping keep the peace. Among other things, he investigates the death of the Duke of Orsino (for it turns out that one of Theophilos’ Alter Ego’s was Feste from Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night), Solves a murder in Constantinople, Tells the true story of Hamlet, and solves the murder of a monk. In the series, the guild is tied to the Catholic church, however, in DnD, I doubt there would be such a bond. Due to the missions they must complete at times, Fools tended to be able to do many skills. In fact, all the skills on the skill list (save Concentration, Craft, and Profession, which are always on a class list) have been performed by Feste. Guild Ranks are also taken from the books.
The use of a Marotte as a weapon, as well as the basic design and implementation are also based off of the books.
I would appreciate any form of criticism of the class, and especially from those who have read the books, as they would probably be able to tell better than others if I have managed to keep the idea intact as I brought it over.

Picture:

http://www.philosophyblog.com.au/images/court-jester1.jpg
A Fool in motley and make-up, complete with matching marotte.

Alignment: Any non-evil. While many fools may lose their want to change the world, the Fool’s Guild does not allow evil, and in fact seeks to get rid of evil.
HD: D6
Skill Points: 8+Int, x4 at first level.
Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Knowledge (All skills, taken separately), Listen, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Tumble, Use Rope

Table:

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|[Connections|Identities|Rank
1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Skill Bonus, Connections, Identities, Guild Member, Motley, Sneak Attack +1d8|1|1|Novitiate

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Bonus Language, Weapon Finesse, Throwing Finesse |1|1|
---

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Quick Draw, Trapfinding |1|1|
---

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Bonus Language, Improvise!, Sneak Attack +2d8|1|1|
---

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Double Throw |1|2|
---

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Bonus Language |1|2|Jester

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2| Fool’s Knowledge, Improved Improvisation |2|2|
---

8th|
+6/1|
+2|
+6|
+2| Bonus Language, Sneak Attack +3d8, Poison Use |2|2|
---

9th|
+6/1|
+3|
+6|
+3| Long Throw |2|2|
---

10th|
+7/2|
+3|
+7|
+3| Bonus Language, Greater Improvisation |2|3|
---

11th|
+8/3|
+3|
+7|
+3| Fool’s Luck, Marotte Veteran |2|3|Chief Jester, City

12th|
+9/4|
+4|
+8|
+4| Bonus Language, Sneak Attack +4d8|2|3|
---

13th|
+9/4|
+4|
+8|
+4| Pinpoint Throw |2|3|
---

14th|
+10/5|
+4|
+9|
+4| Bonus Language |3|3|
---

15th|
+11/6/1|
+5|
+9|
+5| Marotte Expertise |3|4|
---

16th|
+12/7/2|
+5|
+10|
+5| Bonus Language Sneak Attack +5d8|3|4|Chief Jester, Region

17th|
+12/7/2|
+5|
+10|
+5| Throwing Mastery |3|4|
---

18th|
+13/8/3|
+6|
+11|
+6| Bonus Language |3|4|
---

19th|
+14/9/4|
+6|
+11|
+6| Marotte Master |3|4|
---

20th|
+15/10/5|
+6|
+12|
+6| Bonus Language, Sneak Attack +6d8, Routine 11|3|5|
--- [/table]

Class Abilities:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Fools are proficient with the Dagger, Punching Dagger, Club, Quarterstaff, Sling, Sap, Whip, and Hand Crossbow. They are not proficient with any armor, and loose several class abilities when wearing any armor.

Skill Bonus: At first level, pick 5 skills from the following list. These 5 skills receive an untyped bonus equal to your class level. Balance, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Perform (a Fool may choose more than one Perform skill), Sleight of Hand, Tumble

Connections: At first level, and again at seventh and fourteenth level, a fool gains influence over someone important, either by doing them a favor, knowing something that they want kept quiet, or being a trusted confidant. The Fool gets to choose who their connections are, (subject to DM approval) and can attempt to ask for favors from their patrons. Whether the patron gives the favor, however, is another story. In addition, the ability to drop names into a conversation grants a bonus to gather information checks equal to the number of connections you have.

Identities: As a fool travels, he changes names and make up frequently. At first level, and again at fifth and every five levels afterwards (10th, 15th, and 20th) A fool gains a new Identity. This Identity does not have to be a Jester. They can be a traveling salesman, a pilgrim, or a sailor. The exception to this is the Identity gained at first level. This Identity MUST be as a Jester

Guild Member: At first level, a Fool is inducted into the Jester’s Guild as a Novitiate. You have a room reserved for you at the Fool’s Guild, as well as a supply of free disguise kits (however, you must still be at the guild to collect them). As time progresses, the Fool will advance in rank, gaining new abilities and responsibilities. The ranks are as follows:

Guild Ranks:

Novitiate: The Fool learns a password for recognizing another fool (one fool begins with “Stultorum numerous” and the second responds “Infinitus Est”)

Jester: The Fool is given a Marotte, and immediately gains proficiency in it. His foolery repertoire is also large enough to perform a Tenso, a call and response routine, with another jester. The jester can currently only use it for identification (if you’re looking for the closest jester, you sing the first part of a particular song, and a nearby jester will finish it.) Your Tenso can be heard by anyone who could hear you scream, and the range is doubled if have a musical instrument in accompaniment.

Chief Jester, City: You are appointed a city’s “Chief Jester”. All other Jesters in the city report to you when they arrive, and if they have any missions in the city given to them by the guild, they come to you for help. Choose a city. Subject to DM approval, you become Chief Jester of this city. You are expected to perform for the leader of the city (be it a mayor, city council, or king) at least once a month, and for a public location at least one a month. You may call upon 1 fool (level equal to 5 less than yours) for every 10,000 people in the city (minimum 1) to assist you with tasks. However, if a sub-fool dies, they are not replaced for a year and a day. Your ability to perform a Tenso has also increased, and you can now send coded messages through Tenso to other fools. Someone attempting to break your code must make a Sense Motive check (DC=10+Levels in Fool+Wis) in order to understand that it is more than a simple song. You are also given a house in the city you are chief of.

Chief Jester, Region: Much like the chief jester of a city, except it is now for a region. Choose a region. Subject to DM approval, you become chief jester of this region. As before, you are expected to perform for the ruler of the region at least once a month, and to make a public performance once a month. You may now call upon 2 fools for each city in your region (any settlement classified as a small city, large city, or metropolis). You now have a house in the capital of the region you are chief of. The fool’s guild also supplies you with any needed equipment costing 100 GP or less. However, all of the equipment is marked with the guild seal, and cannot be sold without repercussions. It is also possible for the guild to provide you with a more expensive piece of equipment. For any non-magical equipment, roll 1d%. on a result of 70-100, the guild can provide the equipment. For magical equipment, do the same. On a result of 95-100, they can provide the equipment. You may only ask for special equipment once/month.

Motley: At first level, a fool is given his Motley. An outfit made entirely of scraps of cloth, it is the typical outfit of a fool. It provides a +5 to disguising your true identity, but anyone attempting to gather information on your fool identity gains a +5 to their check.

Sneak Attack: Fools fight very strangely. Due to this, they are often able to strike vulnerable places. Any attack made against an opponent who is flat footed (or has lost their dexterity bonus to AC for any other reason) gains the indicated amount of bonus precision damage. This stacks with any Sneak Attack damage gained from another class. Sneak Attacks only apply to ranged attacks within 30’.

Bonus Language: At 2nd level, and every other level after, the Fool gains a bonus language, chosen from any non-secret language.

Weapon Finesse: The Fool gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat, even if they do not meet the requirements. In addition, they can use this feat with any weapon on the class list.

Throwing Finesse: The Fool may use their dexterity modifier on attack and damage rolls made with a thrown weapon.

Quick Draw: The Fool gains Quick Draw as a bonus feat, regardless of whether they meet the requirements.

Trapfinding: As Rogue

Improvise!: The Fool gains proficiency with Improvised Weapons, and therefore no longer takes a -4 penalty on attacks with such weapons.

Double Throw: A Fool may attack with two thrown weapons at the same time as a standard action. They may attack two targets, but they must be within 10’ of each other. They may also attack the same target twice. The attacks are rolled and resolved separately, and you may not add any form of precision damage to the attack. Each attack takes a -2 penalty to their attack

Fool’s Knowledge: Standing around a throne room all day has its benefits, and one of them is in picking up tidbits of information. Fool’s Knowledge is exactly
like Bardic Knowledge, save that it is based off of Fool levels, rather than bard.

Improved Improvisation: A fool gains a +1 to attack and damage with improvised weapons, and their ciritical range is doubled.

Poison Use: Due to frequent use of poisons, the Fool no longer risks poisoning themself when applying poison to a weapon.

Long Throw: A fool’s range increment is doubled when using a thrown weapon.

Greater Improvisation: A fool’s bonus to attack and damage with improvised weapons increases to +3. Their critical multiplier is raised by one.

Fool’s Luck: A fool gains a +2 to all saving throws

Marotte Veteran: A fool’s range increment on a Marotte is doubled. They also gain +2 to attack when using the Marotte

Pinpoint Throw: When using a thrown weapon within 30’, the fool gains a +2 to attack and damage. This cannot be used with Double Throw

Marotte Expertise: A fool’s damage with the Marotte increases die size by one (1D2 to 1D4, 1D4 to 1D6).

Throwing Mastery: A fool gains a +5 bonus to critical confirmations with thrown weapons. In addition, Double throw no longer causes an attack penalty, and can be used with precision damage and Pinpoint throw.

Marotte Master: Attacks with a Marotte are now resolved as touch attacks.

Routine 11: The Fool begins to juggle several weapons, tossing them high, low, around his leg, and balancing them on his nose. Just as the enemy is enthralled in the performance, the dagger that was once on the fool’s nose is now buried to the hilt in an enemy. As a full round action, you may target any number of enemies, as long as all are within the range of a thrown weapon you posses, and you have at least one weapon for each enemy. You must declare which weapon is being used on each enemy. Make a Dexterity check (DC = 15+1 for each enemy targeted by routine 11). If you succeed, make a bluff check. Each enemy targeted by the attack then makes a Sense Motive check (DC = your bluff check). The results are as follows:

Enemy beats your check by 5 or more: The enemy dodges the attack completely, taking no damage.

Enemy beats your check by less than five: The enemy nearly dodges the attack, and takes half the normal damage from the weapon

Enemy ties your check: The enemy takes normal damage from your attack, and is flat footed for the remainder of your turn.

Enemy fails the check by less than five: The enemy takes double damage from the weapon, is Flat Footed for the remainder of your turn, and is stunned for 1 round

Enemy Fails the check by more than five: The enemy is killed

No matter which even happens, the weapon used for that enemy winds up on the ground in the square they were in when the attack took place.

The Marotte:

Marotte (Exotic Ranged Weapon) 50 GP. 1D2 +poison (small) 1D4 + poison (medium) Critical: x2 damage and +5 to poison DC. 15’ range. Piercing. 1 lb

The marotte is a small staff, made to look like a mockery of a kings scepter. It is typically topped with a fool’s head. A weaponized Marotte fires small darts from the mouth of the fool, activated by a switch on the handle. Darts are loaded into the bottom of the marotte (3 can be held at a time). Due to the inconspicuous nature of the marotte, it is not confiscated when normal weapons are, and when used in battle, grants a +5 to bluff checks in all turns before its first use. In addition, due to the strange firing mechanism, non-proficient users suffer a -6 penalty, rather than -4. Finally, any critical miss (A 1 on a D20 attack roll) causes the user to shoot themself, taking damage as normal for the weapon. Due to its small size, a marotte doesn’t do much damage, but the darts are usually poisoned. (You can get poison at the Fool’s Guild.) It is a move action to reload a marotte. Rapid Reload drops this to a free action.

Marotte Darts (50). 1GP. 1Lb

Marotte darts are tiny, and cannot be used as weapons unless fired from a marotte.

This is my first homebrew, so I apologize if the class is absolutely wretched or broken. I am aiming for Teir 3 or 4, with the main abilities being skills, being good at throwing anything, and the marotte as a special weapon.

Lev
2010-07-28, 09:30 PM
I look forward to seeing how this turns out!
*bookmarks*

ericgrau
2010-07-29, 02:08 AM
Balance-wise most of it seems okay, with a couple exceptions.

Having certain skills scale at double speed makes them wtf-high. Which either means the DM simply doesn't care about skills and it is useless anyway or the player breaks them. Gather information, perform, balance and usually escape artist are no big deal. But bluff, disguise and forgery are opposed checks to which the fool simply says "I win". That's problematic if he uses them. Good thing you don't have any ability in the class that keys off of... omg Routine 11 auto-kills from unbeatable bluff checks. And what if the opponent, like most, doesn't even have ranks in sense motive?

Making attacks as touch attacks negates any drawbacks of medium BAB, so the class is strictly better than most full BAB classes the moment it hits level 19. Likewise having both trapfinding and 8 skill points per level infringes on rogue territory. His other abilities aren't so strong, except for the couple of broken ones mentioned, so maybe it isn't so bad. But the class is kinda high powered. Reducing the skills, and removing the broken things of course, could help.

ForzaFiori
2010-07-29, 09:09 AM
I had forgotten about the bluff bonus when I wrote routine 11. It isn't HUGELY important as a foolish skill, so I'll probably remove it. Disguise stays though, because you SHOULD have a huge bonus when you look like every other fool in existence, have enough make up to completely change your appearance, are a trained actor, and have spent the better part of your life pretending to be someone else. Forgery can go too, as I'm really not that positive why it was there...

And honestly, with the majority of those skills, You can't break the game with them. It's not like I'm giving the +20 to UMD, where they can set off something epic level. I'm letting them tumble past an enemy earlier, hide better, and pick a pocket. It's only a problem if not being able to do that is a MAJOR part of your plot.

Skills wise, the fool is designed to take the same place in a party as a rogue, which is why they have so many skills and trap finding.

ForzaFiori
2010-07-30, 01:48 PM
Come on people. I know that SOMEONE wants to tell me what I've done wrong, or could do better.

ericgrau
2010-07-30, 02:15 PM
Sorry, too lazy :-P. It's a decent class minus the 1-2 openings for abuse. Very solid, yet it's so clean and it uses abilities similar to existing ones so that there's not much to talk about. I could see playing one if I didn't feel like playing a different skill-monkey.

Lev
2010-07-30, 03:14 PM
Come on people. I know that SOMEONE wants to tell me what I've done wrong, or could do better.

If you really want a scour, then why put 1d8 sneak attack and not 1d6?

I like what's here so far, but in my view you can have anyone "playing the fool" as such in the fools guild, or you can have a true fool, one who exists on the peripheral of wisdom, out of the corner of it's eye, and shows moments of true divine inspiration even when it's not apparent. The fool is the embodiment of emptiness and therefore the most truthful listener.

Generally I think anyone can play the fool, the fools guild are a bit different because they take jestering (maybe research the Jester class from... dragon compendium was it?) to a level of training in a specific way, where as the literal definition of a fool as a good quality is undone to reach it instead of doing.

What I'm trying to say, is that on one side you have Jester and on the other side you have Fortune's Friend.

ForzaFiori
2010-07-30, 08:11 PM
If you really want a scour, then why put 1d8 sneak attack and not 1d6?

I like what's here so far, but in my view you can have anyone "playing the fool" as such in the fools guild, or you can have a true fool, one who exists on the peripheral of wisdom, out of the corner of it's eye, and shows moments of true divine inspiration even when it's not apparent. The fool is the embodiment of emptiness and therefore the most truthful listener.

Generally I think anyone can play the fool, the fools guild are a bit different because they take jestering (maybe research the Jester class from... dragon compendium was it?) to a level of training in a specific way, where as the literal definition of a fool as a good quality is undone to reach it instead of doing.

What I'm trying to say, is that on one side you have Jester and on the other side you have Fortune's Friend.

The 1D8 instead of 1D6 (as well as a slower progression) is to highlight the randomness of their attacks. In the books, many of their attacks were done while tumbling, juggling, and doing other "foolish" things. They caught people off guard doing so, but the results... varied. So you have a higher dice (a larger pool of numbers to modify your attack) but a slower progression. They wind up with the ability to do almost as much extra damage as a rogue, but a more random spread.

The "fortune's friend" aspects were mainly things that I put in at the end, as a way to try to fill dead levels, and because many fools are considered to be very lucky to have survived in their job. The main character of the book's name, Theophilus, actually means "loved by god" because of how darn lucky he seems to be.

I'm afraid I don't have Dragon Compendium, which is why I did not see the Jester class. If I had, I might have taken some things from it.

As it was, many of the things you've pointed out were my trying to show the... randomness, as well as the luckiness, that seems to accompany many of the main characters of the book, and therefor (it would seem) many of the fools in the fool's guild. They are essentially a spy who pretends to be the "true fool", that is, one who is dim witted, and therefore free to speak his/her mind, while in reality, they are very sharp individuals, highly trained, and attempting to sway events of the world to bring it away from evil.

I hope I've answered your questions, and if not, feel free to say so and I will try to explain it in a different way.

Gorgondantess
2010-07-30, 08:22 PM
Level 1 is strictly better than a rogue. By a lot.

ForzaFiori
2010-07-30, 08:30 PM

I would not say by a lot. Better, yes, but not by a HUGE amount. Also, LOTS of classes are better than a rogue at first level.

As the rogue levels up, however, it gets evasion, special abilities, trap sense, and uncanny dodge, and the fool gets bonuses to skills, and better at attacking with sub-par weaponry, until 19th level when it can make a touch attack with a weapon that does little damage.

I would ask though, to give possible ways to remedy problems with the class, or at least something more specific than what you put. Telling me that it is broken is useful, yes, but no where near as much as telling me specifics, or ideas on how to possibly fix it.

Lev
2010-08-03, 07:34 PM
Let's see, so the untyped bonus + ranks + 5 + synergy in some cases works out to about 12+15+18 at level 15 and that's without help. So basically when your wizard or druid or cleric casts a +20 to skill check spell the fool basically says having a +65 is allowed, opening up a potential 85 on natural 20.

Here's a suggestion:
Why not give the fool a skill check bonus for those 5 skills as a d# where as # = the level he got it at?
Lvl 4 - 1D4 Bonus
Lvl 6 - 1D6 Bonus
Lvl 8 - 1D8 Bonus
Lvl 10 - 1D10 Bonus
Lvl 12 - 1D12 Bonus
Lvl 16 - 2D8-1 Bonus (Can't really figure what would go between 12 and 20.)
Lvl 20 - 1D20 Bonus

ForzaFiori
2010-08-03, 10:03 PM
Let's see, so the untyped bonus + ranks + 5 + synergy in some cases works out to about 12+15+18 at level 15 and that's without help. So basically when your wizard or druid or cleric casts a +20 to skill check spell the fool basically says having a +65 is allowed, opening up a potential 85 on natural 20.

Here's a suggestion:
Why not give the fool a skill check bonus for those 5 skills as a d# where as # = the level he got it at?
Lvl 4 - 1D4 Bonus
Lvl 6 - 1D6 Bonus
Lvl 8 - 1D8 Bonus
Lvl 10 - 1D10 Bonus
Lvl 12 - 1D12 Bonus
Lvl 16 - 2D8-1 Bonus (Can't really figure what would go between 12 and 20.)
Lvl 20 - 1D20 Bonus

But the thing is, look at what those skills do. None of them are really game breaking, even with epic use.

Balance: With a 60, you can balance on a hair thin rope, and rolling a five lets them balance on liquid. Congrats, you can walk on water, but that isn't that bad, cause the fool has to roll every round. He's gonna fail eventually, so he can't walk across oceans or anything.

Disguise: He can disguise his weight or hight. In other words, he has stilts, and a fat suit. He's good at disguises, yes, but what would you expect from a trained actor? He disguises his self every day, and no one is really bringing up the few identities he gets, which is even better than a disguise check.

Escape Artist: He can bust alot of grapples. Fools are bend. They can cut somersaults and bend backwards and touch the floor. With that kind of flexibility, it's easy to see how they can get out of ropes.

Gather Information: He can figure stuff out without suspicion. No one every worries about a fool in the room. Kings for centuries have talked top secret politics around fools, because people think that is all they are. They are around, and no one ever really takes notice, cause they're always in weird spots.

Perform (a Fool may choose more than one Perform skill: He can wow any crowd, as a fool should be able to do. By this point in his career, he should know the best moves, all the funniest routines, and the best acrobatics. He can change a crowds opinion of things, but that's what they were for. To make light of a worrisome time, to get your mind of things, to make you LIKE them.

Sleight of Hand: He can perform a disappearing act on something. Modern day "fools" (Stage performers) have made the STATUE OF LIBERTY disappear. I think making the foot stool next to you go away is an OK thing to do.

Tumble: He can treat falls as shorter than they are. Like a monk. and we all know how powerful those are. He can climb pretty good, because no one has levitate or anything. Oh, and he can tumble past someone, but he already could do that.

Not very broken. It lets you do some cool things, but nothing that will break the game, except perhaps for the perform check to make money. Even then however, Adventuring FAR outweighs the amount they can make performing. Once again, I'm not giving a huge bonus to UMD, or Search, or anything you would ABSOLUTELY have to have. They're skills that don't get much use in my opinion, and perhaps this will let them shine some.

Lev
2010-08-04, 02:32 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/diplomacy.htm
Hostile to helpful in a +49

ForzaFiori
2010-08-04, 01:46 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/diplomacy.htm
Hostile to helpful in a +49

Yea, but you can get a +45 without the bonus I'm giving by that point. In that case, the rules are broken for everyone, not just the fool. A Bard or Rogue could do that as well. The number that you mentioned was an 85. Take off 20 points for the bonus given, and you still have a 65 on a natural 20, and a 46 on a natural one. So anyone with the same charisma could do that. The bonus isn't doing anything that you couldn't already do, which was exactly my point.

Lev
2010-08-05, 08:18 PM
Well, the table doesn't exactly end there =P
You can either consider epic:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#diplomacy

Or consider the added DC for more difficult things is usually around +4, so a +20 to a skill is pretty much bypassing 5 layers of a DM saying "but you shouldn't be that effective... =/" :smallwink:

ForzaFiori
2010-08-06, 02:04 AM
Well, the table doesn't exactly end there =P
You can either consider epic:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#diplomacy

Or consider the added DC for more difficult things is usually around +4, so a +20 to a skill is pretty much bypassing 5 layers of a DM saying "but you shouldn't be that effective... =/" :smallwink:

Which is why diplomacy is broken, not the skill bonus. I'm playtesting a monk fix currently that grants a bonus to jump, tumble, and balance equal to your bonus speed, and even that isn't game breaking.

ericgrau
2010-08-06, 12:40 PM

While not the end of the world, it does scream "dip me first" to any sneak attack build. Pushing the first sneak attack to level 2, would help. You may or may not have to juggle more class abilities from there, but level 1 is the main thing for preventing unintended dips.

I agree that with skills against flat DCs it's hard to break the game no matter how high the bonus is. So you auto pass all of the minor special abilities granted by the various DCs, big deal. And if anything is supposedly broken like diplomacy, it was already broken anyway. Though I think any smart DM will flat out say "no" to diplomancy. Opposed checks are another matter, as I already pointed out. As are new applications of skills kill and so forth, b/c many enemies might not have any skill ranks even if the PC doesn't pump that skill into high heaven. And he will. Even if he's not trying to power game that much, it makes sense to focus on your main skill. I mean beating someone by 5 or more, even if he has max ranks (and he won't), is a trivial accomplishment. A high ability mod, maybe a feat, bam, done.