PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Alternatives to Smite

Lev
2010-07-28, 09:23 PM
It seems like the concept of smiting is extremely vengeful and tends to box in the mentality of a paladin into one that strives to annihilate rather than preserve.

So, instead of getting a smiting ability, why not give the paladin something like a barbarian rage, except powered by good intentions, courage and sheer force of will?

Have you played a paladin? What do you think this alternative should be?
What are the already existing alternatives?

Andion Isurand
2010-07-29, 05:14 AM
There is a paladin ACF in Dragon Magazine 349 (pg. 93) called Hunter of Fiends.

Taken at first level... you lose the Smite ability and Knowledge (royalty and nobility) as a class skill.

You gain evil outsiders as a favored enemy, except your bonus = 1/2 paladin level (minimum +1) without gaining other favored enemies. You also gain Track as a bonus feat, as well as Survival and Knowledge (the planes) as class skills.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-29, 05:51 AM
So, instead of getting a smiting ability, why not give the paladin something like a barbarian rage, except powered by good intentions, courage and sheer force of will?

I don't really see a lawful type having the rage ability. Maybe switch smite with them getting turn undead sooner and a more powerful version of it.

Glimbur
2010-07-29, 12:32 PM
It seems like the concept of smiting is extremely vengeful and tends to box in the mentality of a paladin into one that strives to annihilate rather than preserve.

Have you played a paladin? What do you think this alternative should be?
What are the already existing alternatives?

If you're looking to preserve, consider buffing their Lay on Hands, giving bonuses to Sense Motive, Heal, and Survival, or making up new abilities that let them take damage for others.

cooperflood
2010-07-29, 12:44 PM
What is it that you like about the Paladin? Depending on your answer you might be better off playing another class and calling your self a Paladin. I once played a Crusader who was a "Paladin of Fharlanghn" and had a blast.

Xefas
2010-07-29, 02:59 PM
...you might be better off playing another class and calling your self a Paladin.

I don't know about you, but my paladins pull forth incarnum from the Upper Planes to forge Hammers made from the pure condensed souls of the redeemed made manifest, and then hit people in the face with them.

What I mean to say is, I always thought Incarnum was a cool concept for Paladins to work off of, and there are plenty of Soulborn fixes out there to choose from...

Lev
2010-07-29, 05:50 PM
What is it that you like about the Paladin? Depending on your answer you might be better off playing another class and calling your self a Paladin. I once played a Crusader who was a "Paladin of Fharlanghn" and had a blast.
That's a good point, but I think that late game options are way better than pre-game as that leaves more room for your character to develop as a person rather than just augment previous abilities, not use them or lose them... replacement seems valid.

I mean, I rather have a modified Golden Ice Ravage application than Smite personally. When I think of a Paladin I don't think of a man who goes around hitting someone with a stick as long as they are evil, I think of a man who runs in front of a cone of fire and holds up his shield to cover his allies, I see a player losing his balance and slipping off a cliff and the paladin dives and barely grabs on risking also falling down, I see a dark tentacle dragging a helpless child to the murky depths of a lake and a man diving into the water to save her.
None of these pictures involve a glowing sword or hitting people with it.

Perhaps a few "Heroic" or exalted feats would do, ones that signify the god's favor to valor and courage rather annihilation and discrimination.

Pechvarry
2010-07-30, 03:04 PM
Races of Destiny (I think) has a half-orc racial substitution that gives a sort of divine rage. It's pretty nice if you want to dual wield, for instance (and if your DM lets you ignore racial reqs).

Lev
2010-07-30, 03:06 PM
Well instead of rage I mean sort of like a state of courageous exertion.

Mulletmanalive
2010-07-30, 03:29 PM
The Swashbuckler class from AEG has an ability called "With Style" that might be appropriate.

Pushed by Faith [Ex]: Once per day per two Paladin levels, you may add your Charisma bonus to a check of any kind. If the action is partaken to preserve the life of an Innocent [defined pre campaign], you may double this bonus.

How's that? This is actually a modified version of the one we used in our games and it worked damned well for what we needed it to do.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-30, 03:32 PM
Well instead of rage I mean sort of like a state of courageous exertion.

Wouldn't "courageous exertion" just be a large bonus to will saves? Being super strong has nothing to do with being brave.

Lev
2010-07-30, 03:51 PM
The Swashbuckler class from AEG has an ability called "With Style" that might be appropriate.

Pushed by Faith [Ex]: Once per day per two Paladin levels, you may add your Charisma bonus to a check of any kind. If the action is partaken to preserve the life of an Innocent [defined pre campaign], you may double this bonus.

How's that? This is actually a modified version of the one we used in our games and it worked damned well for what we needed it to do.
Thank you! Perfect!

Wouldn't "courageous exertion" just be a large bonus to will saves? Being super strong has nothing to do with being brave.
The strength of heart and emotion can cause IRL adrenaline rushes capable of boosting someone's strength.