PDA

View Full Version : d20 Modern. In one night.

Denkal
2010-07-29, 02:49 AM
Hey Playground, Tomorrow will be a short-noticed game session of d20 modern, and I've stepped up to the DMing plate. I've DMed a bit for 3.5, and I'm well-familiar with the game mechanics. I'm reading over the SRD for modern, and I've been told it plays a lot like 3.5.

I've decided on a Fallout-esque post-apoc setting, combining what scraps of tech can be scavenged with new resources, the most prevalent of which is steam power (in a steampunk/dystopian kind of way).

Now, I don't know what to have the characters DO, however. How they meet, why they're together, nothing. But, I believe I have off-the-cuff skills. They're starting between level 2-5, depending on what I'm feeling.

What I'm asking of you, Playground, is for campaign ideas for a post-apocalyptic, semi-steampunk campaign, and any help with d20 Modern systems.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-29, 02:52 AM
Post-apocalyptic? They're going to have no source of food in game. Tell them to go look for some and maybe plan some hostile encounters from others looking for supplies.

Morph Bark
2010-07-29, 03:37 AM
Post-apocalyptic? They're going to have no source of food in game. Tell them to go look for some and maybe plan some hostile encounters from others looking for supplies.

This. I always think of Post-Apocalyptic style games as being similar to Zombie Apocalypse games, except that the "zombies" are actually other humans that are hostile to you.

Bharg
2010-07-29, 03:40 AM
This. I always think of Post-Apocalyptic style games as being similar to Zombie Apocalypse games, except that the "zombies" are actually other humans that are hostile to you.

Nah, Zombies equal Mutants (or Mutant Zombies).
People out to kill you for food in a Zombie Apocalypse are People out to kill you for food (or fun) in a normal apocalypse.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-29, 03:45 AM

Zombies? No! Mad Max!

Harperfan7
2010-07-29, 03:54 AM
The singularity happened. Someone killed the AI godmonster. Before it died, it created an airborn virus to kill all humanity. 9?% of humanity died.

No one knows who created it, no one knows who killed it, no one knows where it was, and very few people at all even know what the hell happened.

The setting is immediately thereafter to a few years thereafter on earth. Buildings are still mostly intact, a few have fallen or burned. If you've ever seen life without people, that.

Thing is, the AI made all sorts of robots and stuff that go around doing what they were programmed to do by the AI, but none of them are as intelligent as the original AI, so the singularity stopped.

Go.

EDIT: Originally didn't read the steampunk thing, so, sorry.

Denkal
2010-07-29, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the ideas, I think I've got something to start this session with. I'll see where it goes from there.

The singularity happened. Someone killed the AI godmonster. Before it died, it created an airborn virus to kill all humanity. 9?% of humanity died.

No one knows who created it, no one knows who killed it, no one knows where it was, and very few people at all even know what the hell happened.

The setting is immediately thereafter to a few years thereafter on earth. Buildings are still mostly intact, a few have fallen or burned. If you've ever seen life without people, that.

Thing is, the AI made all sorts of robots and stuff that go around doing what they were programmed to do by the AI, but none of them are as intelligent as the original AI, so the singularity stopped.

Go.

EDIT: Originally didn't read the steampunk thing, so, sorry.

No, it can still work. Steampunk isn't a main aspect. Just, the two main kinds of tech are salvaged electronics, and steam power, often used to power small generators to power salvaged electronics. Interesting ideas.

ryzouken
2010-07-29, 04:26 AM
steal borrow from Borderlands: Legends exist of a vault hidden somewhere that contains... something. Wealth, weapons, women, eldritch powers, or maybe just the best couch on the planet. The players are vault hunters, raised on training and vault tales, who are just now setting out from their bunkers.

All kinds of fun stuff to do there.