PDA

View Full Version : Wilder Question (3.5)

Haruspex_Pariah
2010-07-29, 03:46 AM
So I've recently read through the wilder's class features and I'm not 100% sure about the wild surge ability.

If a level 2 wilder manifests energy ray with wild surge his manifester level increases to 3. The wilder pays 1 pp and gets a 3d6 energy ray.

Did I get that right? Or does he pay 2 pp? :smallconfused:

blueblade
2010-07-29, 03:52 AM
In that instance, you would pay 2 pp.

Your ML is 2, + 1 for the wildsurge. That determines the max pp you can spend on a casting (so 3)

To get 3D6 you have to spend 3 pp, -1 from the surge. so 2 pp.

Sorry if I've explained that poorly. But basically, don't confuse ML with pp costs. The only point you get for free is the 1 from the surge.

Taken from the SRD:

In all cases, the wild surge effectively pays the extra power point cost that is normally required to augment the power; only the unaugmented power point cost is subtracted from the wilder’s power point reserve.

Haruspex_Pariah
2010-07-29, 03:58 AM
Thanks, I was a bit confused by the wording ("only the unaugmented power cost") there.

Yora
2010-07-29, 05:23 AM
However, you must pay at least the standard amount of power points. The wild surge bonus can only be used to augment the power. So you can not Wild Surge for a +1 bonus and manifest a 1st level power and paying 0 power points.

blueblade
2010-07-29, 05:49 AM
Haruspex, I agree the wording is ambiguous. Augment here refers to the wild surge increase, not the augmentation you've already chosen to do.

But still, glad I could help! I love Wilders (although my DM gave me a bump to powers known to make it bearable). It's like a wild mage, but the nice part is your spell always goes off. With a protective front-line, it can be a lot of fun to play and adds a fair bit to a group.