PDA

View Full Version : Reccommendations for a Mournlands Trip [3.5]

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-29, 05:55 AM
What spells, items, and other stuff should be prepared?

The only caster in the party is a 4th level druid. Party level ranges from 4-6 (due to absences and one death)

Kol Korran
2010-07-29, 06:18 AM
well, that highly depends on what rules for the mournland you're using. do you just use the guidelinesi n the ECS? or do you use the very very strict rules of the "five nations?" (basically healing is a b***h)

a few things that might go a long way:
- Goodberry wine: one of the only forms of healing that works in the mournland (i think it's in the 5 nations)- 40 hp in 5 doses of 8, and also feeds you for a day.
- if you're using the strict rules than rope trick wands: one at the lowest Caster level possible (for quick jaunts "out" of the mournland to heal). and if you have the funds, than one that lasts for 8 hours (a safe place to sleep, and natural healing works)
- extras of stuff- rope, oil, and so on. the mournland is a weird weird place, some extras can go a long way.
- Map of Cyre: it won't fit everythingto a cue, but usually it provides some bonus to the navigation tests.
- warforged: hire some warforged- they will be your most durable resource. even if they are beaten down, with a good enough craft skill you can get them going back again.

if i'll think of something else i'll tell you.

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-29, 07:07 AM
well, that highly depends on what rules for the mournland you're using. do you just use the guidelinesi n the ECS? or do you use the very very strict rules of the "five nations?" (basically healing is a b***h)

a few things that might go a long way:
- Goodberry wine: one of the only forms of healing that works in the mournland (i think it's in the 5 nations)- 40 hp in 5 doses of 8, and also feeds you for a day.
- if you're using the strict rules than rope trick wands: one at the lowest Caster level possible (for quick jaunts "out" of the mournland to heal). and if you have the funds, than one that lasts for 8 hours (a safe place to sleep, and natural healing works)
- extras of stuff- rope, oil, and so on. the mournland is a weird weird place, some extras can go a long way.
- Map of Cyre: it won't fit everythingto a cue, but usually it provides some bonus to the navigation tests.
- warforged: hire some warforged- they will be your most durable resource. even if they are beaten down, with a good enough craft skill you can get them going back again.

if i'll think of something else i'll tell you.
Thanks for the advice.
Navigation isn't really a problem since what's being looked for is ON the disabled rail tracks, unless there's some problem with following those that I don't know about.
What's the difference between each of the rules...ECS vs Five Nations?

AslanCross
2010-07-29, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the advice.
Navigation isn't really a problem since what's being looked for is ON the disabled rail tracks, unless there's some problem with following those that I don't know about.
What's the difference between each of the rules...ECS vs Five Nations?

ECS only has general rules. Five Nations has more detailed descriptions of the Mournland.

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-29, 07:32 AM
ECS only has general rules. Five Nations has more detailed descriptions of the Mournland.

I guess that we'll be using 5 nations then.

Marnath
2010-07-29, 12:44 PM
If you need an extra plot hook, maybe one or more of the 'forged you hired ( as per the above suggestion) is a spy for the lord of blades and is looking to lead you into some sort of horrible trap.

Darrin
2010-07-29, 03:58 PM

Ack! How did I miss that when I put together Shax's Haversack? 250 GP for 5 doses, each dose = 8 HP is a much better deal than a Healing Salve (Tome & Blood p. 72, 50 GP, heals 1d8 HP). Does Goodberry Wine work normally on warforged?

Hmm. Would a Magic Bedroll (MIC p. 163, 500 GP) or Bitterleaf Oil (RotD p. 122, 25 GP) work in the Mournland?

Marnath
2010-07-29, 04:12 PM
Hmm. Would a Magic Bedroll (MIC p. 163, 500 GP) or Bitterleaf Oil (RotD p. 122, 25 GP) work in the Mournland?

I would say no, but it's your DM's call.

avr
2010-07-29, 08:46 PM
You might want to look into stuff for avoiding combat (Invisibility of any kind, Dust of Tracelessness etc) on the theory that what you don't fight won't hurt you.

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-30, 10:59 AM
You might want to look into stuff for avoiding combat (Invisibility of any kind, Dust of Tracelessness etc) on the theory that what you don't fight won't hurt you.

Living spells have blindsight, unless I'm mistaken...

Marnath
2010-07-30, 11:14 AM
Living spells have blindsight, unless I'm mistaken...

And the pit that opens under your feet as you walk on a thin patch of crusty sand doesn't care if you're invisible :smallcool:

Hyozo
2010-07-30, 11:32 AM

It's been a while since I've looked at the exact rules, but don't the lightning rails not have actual physical tracks? I thought there were just the magitech things distributed every mile or so that the trains could travel between... Maybe I'm wrong.

Marnath
2010-07-30, 11:40 AM
If i remember, the lightning rail "track" Is a bunch of wondrous items in the shape of some sort of pyramidal blocks every few yards. With the upheaval and earthquakes on the day of mourning, i'd be really surprised if the whole system is still hooked up. Wouldn't be much of a challenge if you could grab one of the functional trains in the capital and ride out of there scott free, eh?

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-30, 01:12 PM
If i remember, the lightning rail "track" Is a bunch of wondrous items in the shape of some sort of pyramidal blocks every few yards. With the upheaval and earthquakes on the day of mourning, i'd be really surprised if the whole system is still hooked up. Wouldn't be much of a challenge if you could grab one of the functional trains in the capital and ride out of there scott free, eh?

Well, no to take a train, but walk along the tracks to avoid getting lost.

Marnath
2010-07-30, 01:25 PM
Well, no to take a train, but walk along the tracks to avoid getting lost.

Ooohhh... In that case, i favor the idea a chasm has open smack in the middle of the tracks partway there and in order to detour around it you get sidetracked to somewhere you have trouble finding the path again.