PDA

View Full Version : Customizable titles

akma
2010-07-29, 07:35 AM
I think that instead of post count related titles, each poster should be able to choose his own title.

Killer Angel
2010-07-29, 09:21 AM
As said by the rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45659), the titles are just for fun, and post count doesn't actually mean anything.
Given that post count means anything, also titles mean anything; they exist (as far as I know) merely because you can't technically get rid of'em.
And seriously? more than 40.000 users, each one with a custom "title in the playground"? too much chaos and additional works for the mods, to check potentially dangerous things as "swearing in the playground".

Rawhide
2010-07-29, 09:31 AM
Titles are there because we want them to be there. They add flair to the board through the (mostly) consistent theme.

Unfortunately, the only system we have to include the titles is to link them to postcount, so that is how they have to be included. This is a technical limitation.

Personally customisable titles are a nightmare for several reasons (including what Killer Angel has mentioned, especially since it would not be subject to the same filters as the rest of the board) and are not being considered.

Lord Loss
2010-07-29, 11:09 AM
As cool as it would be, it would be a mod nightmare (For the mods, not about them) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162163). An option would be to give you a list to choose from, but that is probably impossible du to Vbulletin limitations.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-29, 11:40 AM
Maybe if the modding crew increases they could set up a thread for people to request custom titles similar to the name change one?

Obviously it would mean more work, but it would remove the post count link to them.

Archonic Energy
2010-07-29, 11:53 AM
i remember the "custom title in the playground" joke...

:smallsigh:
i feel old now!

Recaiden
2010-07-29, 12:18 PM
i remember the "custom title in the playground" joke...

:smallsigh:
i feel old now!

You've been here for five years. The custom title joke was less than two years past.

Blue Ghost
2010-07-29, 12:35 PM
You've been here for five years. The custom title joke was less than two years past.

Was it? I don't remember such an event.

Cealocanth
2010-07-29, 12:47 PM
Titles are not important. They merely say that "this forum is fantasy gamer themed" to newcomers. If someone would please link the other thread for this newcomer that would be nice.

hamishspence
2010-07-29, 01:03 PM
Simplest way- put it in your signature instead. That way, you can have, say, Drow In The Playground, on all your posts.

Marnath
2010-07-29, 01:44 PM
Am i the only one who never pays attention to the titles at all? Really seems unimportant to me.. :smallconfused:

Cealocanth
2010-07-29, 01:56 PM
Am i the only one who never pays attention to the titles at all? Really seems unimportant to me.. :smallconfused:

nope, the majority of this forum doesn't. I am going to remind everyone that we're not supposed to be discussing on Board/Site Issues. We're also not allowed to discuss the titles. Roland, if you would please link the thread about the titles then I think we're done here.

akma
2010-07-29, 02:47 PM
If someone would please link the other thread for this newcomer that would be nice.

You mean this thread? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45659
Also, look at my sign up date, I signed to the forum 2 and a half years before you.

nope, the majority of this forum doesn't. I am going to remind everyone that we're not supposed to be discussing on Board/Site Issues.

What do you mean not supposed to discuss Board/Site issues? This forum is called Board/Site issues!

Recaiden
2010-07-29, 02:48 PM
Was it? I don't remember such an event.

Well, I was here for it, but hadn't started posting in SMBG much, so yes, it certainly was.

akma
2010-07-29, 02:54 PM
Well, I was here for it, but hadn't started posting in SMBG much, so yes, it certainly was.

It was an April 1st prank, all the titles got reversed.

NerfTW
2010-07-29, 02:59 PM
nope, the majority of this forum doesn't. I am going to remind everyone that we're not supposed to be discussing on Board/Site Issues. We're also not allowed to discuss the titles. Roland, if you would please link the thread about the titles then I think we're done here.

I wasn't aware you were a mod. :smallsigh:

Roland St. Jude
2010-07-29, 02:59 PM
You mean this thread? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45659...

Sheriff of Moddingham: Indeed.