PDA

View Full Version : Domain Granted Powers through feats

Laurellien
2010-07-29, 08:23 AM
Hi there,

Does anybody know of a way, sub-epic, to get the granted power of a domain (spells not necessary) with a feat?

Tyrmatt
2010-07-29, 08:40 AM
Considering you're willing to spend a feat to get it and the majority of the granted powers are far outshined by the spells the domains contain, why not just homebrew something like
Domain Devotion: X.
Prereqs: Knowledge(Religion) 4 ranks, Wisdom 12+. Cannot grossly violate the principals of the domains you select in this way, e.g. Cannot have both the Good and Evil domains or Law and Chaos domains. Cannot conscientiously object to a war if you take the War domain and so on.

Laurellien
2010-07-29, 08:57 AM
I'm specifically looking for something as a player that let's me get a domain granted power without being a cleric.

Eldan
2010-07-29, 08:59 AM
Well, that depends. If you are a spellcaster of some kind, there are ways to get the domain itself.

Laurellien
2010-07-29, 09:27 AM
Wizard/Archivist Theurge

Adumbration
2010-07-29, 09:31 AM
Take the Planar Touchstone feat for Catalogues of Enlightenment. Planar Handbook.

Private-Prinny
2010-07-29, 10:06 AM
There is an ACF for Wizards in Complete Champion that gives them a Domain Granted Power instead of their usual bonus feat.

Outside of that, you'd have to homebrew.

Paul H
2010-07-29, 10:11 AM
Hi

Arcane Disciple grants spells from a Domain, just not the other powers.

And, as already mentioned, a number of PrC's are worth a level dip (for Arcane spellcasters), to gain a Domain spells & powers.

Which powers were you after? there may be other ways around this.....

Cheers
Paul H

Keld Denar
2010-07-29, 12:41 PM
Take the Planar Touchstone feat for Catalogues of Enlightenment. Planar Handbook.

This is about the only way to get the granted power short of dipping cleric or taking a PrC that grants a domain. Costs you a few ranks in Knowledge: Planes, 250g for the focus, and a feat.

Some of the granted powers are pretty amazing, like Inquisition or Destiny. Some of them arn't useful if you don't have cleric levels though, like Strength or Travel.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-07-29, 12:57 PM
Planar touchstone ALSO requires you to take time out of the campaign to do a sidequest of sorts if I am not mistaken. But hey, you get more XP that way so why not?

Also, there is the an ACF wizard which gives them domain powers instead of bonus feats. It's a great ACF actually, and while bonus feats are usually better then domain powers, it's a nice ACF for necromancy specalists since they can pick up the deathbound domain power that way.

Also, please excuse any spelling mistakes, I am on a computer with no spell check.

Keld Denar
2010-07-29, 01:04 PM
Planar touchstone ALSO requires you to take time out of the campaign to do a sidequest of sorts if I am not mistaken. But hey, you get more XP that way so why not?
Or it can just happen off camera. You don't RP eating breakfast most of the time, or answering the call of nature. If its not centric to the plot, there is no need to bore the other players with your extraplanar book reading and sorting/filing business.

it's a nice ACF for necromancy specalists since they can pick up the deathbound domain power that way.

Or for master Abjurers to pick up the Inquisition domain for more potent dispels!

dextercorvia
2010-07-29, 02:30 PM
Out of curiosity, which domain power were you looking for? There may be another way to get that.

Darrin
2010-07-29, 03:26 PM

Actually, visiting the planar touchstone site is entirely optional. You can get the basic ability even if you never leave the prime material. If you actually visit the site, then you can charge up the higher-order ability for a limited number of uses.

Beyond the Catalogues of Enlightenment/Domain Power trick, there are several basic abilities that you're better off taking Planar Touchstone as a feat instead of a similar feat. For example, looking for an AC bonus that's more useful than Dodge? Planar Touchstone linked to Valley of Thunder (PlanarHB p. 173) gives a +1 untyped bonus to AC. Same page, Pilgrim's Rest gives a +1 untyped bonus to AC while you're on the Prime Material plane.

Keld Denar
2010-07-29, 03:31 PM
Unfortunately, Planar Touchstone can't qualify you for various Dodge requiring feats...such as Elusive Target.

Laurellien
2010-07-30, 11:27 AM
I was trying to get one of the granted powers that allows you to turn creatures (e.g. the Air Domain) for some DMM wholesomeness.

Abies
2010-07-30, 11:34 AM
I was trying to get one of the granted powers that allows you to turn creatures (e.g. the Air Domain) for some DMM wholesomeness.

That is unfortunate, because if I am not mistaken DMM works only off of Turn/Rebuke Undead, not the ability to T/R anything else...

Yep, page 80 Complete Divine; the text specifically says Turn/Rebuke undead... Sorry, but perhaps there is a way to get T/R attempts with a feat.

Also, DMM only works on Divine spells, so that may further hamper your plans.

Douglas
2010-07-30, 11:38 AM
Yeah, none of the domain Turning abilities work for DMM because it specifically requires and uses Turn/Rebuke Undead. To get that ability with official WotC rules, you will absolutely have to get it from a class.