PDA

View Full Version : WH40K questions

Dragosai
2010-07-29, 11:56 AM
So I started playing 40K when rogue trader was out, started playing WHFB shortly after that. I stopped playing about 6 years or so ago, and I am thinking about picking it back up (40K) or at least I was. I grabbed the newest rule book and was about to dive in when I kept seeing a lot of comments online that the current game rules and they "best" ways and/or armies to win with did not involve tactics much at all. Now I know those are internet posts and I take them with a giant grain of salt, I also realize I am asking these questions here on an internet forum. I am looking for honest opinions about 40K; the posts I read said in a nut shell that "the win" was just playing an uber hand to hand army and just run right in and get into melee ASAP step 2 win. I guess the idea was it is much faster to take out a squad via the melee rules vs. shooting so battle just end up being pockets of different sizes of melee squads going at it with little to no thought given to tactics on the whole other then get in the enemies grill ASAP and hope our kung fu and dice rolling beats theirs.

I am looking for the playgrounds take on current 40K, I don't want to get back into a game where I can be dumb and still crush people with my bug army but can play my ass off in my Tau army and get wrecked every time.

Winterwind
2010-07-29, 11:58 AM
You want this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156779) thread. :smallwink:

Cogidubnus
2010-07-29, 01:13 PM
I haven't played in quite some time, but I'd suggest finding out who you'd likely be playing against. If everyone in your area has the melee without tactics approach, you won't enjoy it. If they don't you'll be fine building an army to flavour. It's kinda like a RP game - you can play your own style, so long as other people will too.

I had great fun, years ago, as an Iron Hands space marine army whenever swamps were involved. Purely because anything that slowed the enemy down was good.

Roland St. Jude
2010-07-31, 09:56 PM
You want this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156779) thread. :smallwink:

Sheriff: Yes.