PDA

View Full Version : Disguise [3.5]

Temotei
2010-07-29, 02:34 PM
Under the Disguise skill, there's a modifier for disguising as a different race. However, there's nothing in there about different size categories. What if you created a disguise to appear slightly larger than normal, or even smaller than usual?

Are there modifiers for that, or is it assumed that you can't use Disguise to appear as a different size category?

Prime32
2010-07-29, 02:38 PM
There are rules for modifying your apparent height.

Marnath
2010-07-29, 02:40 PM
Well, there's a modifier for trying to look like a younger or older person, i should think that would work for trying to be smaller, since young kids are short. I dont see anything in the SRD about size modifiers, so i guess it's up to the DM.

*edit Where are those rules located, prime?

Ernir
2010-07-29, 02:41 PM
There are penalties for using the Disguise skill to change your apparent height by more than 10%. See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#disguise).

Marnath
2010-07-29, 02:43 PM
Silly me, i didnt even bother to look in the epic rules.. of course, a lot of the things epic skill lets you do are ludicrous so i usually disregard them..meh.

ericgrau
2010-07-29, 02:54 PM
Under the Disguise skill, there's a modifier for disguising as a different race. However, there's nothing in there about different size categories. What if you created a disguise to appear slightly larger than normal, or even smaller than usual?

Are there modifiers for that, or is it assumed that you can't use Disguise to appear as a different size category?

The disguise skill says you can't change your size. Epic rules let you though. Remember this is only clothing, makeup, etc.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-29, 03:15 PM
There are rules for modifying your apparent height.

I remember seeing it under the skill description in the Epic Level Handbook. It can probably be found somewhere else too.

Devils_Advocate
2010-07-30, 11:21 AM
a lot of the things epic skill lets you do are ludicrous
In the context of a game which has a lack of upper limits on human ability as one of its central conceits, not really. "By 9th level, you're pretty much past the point of being able to use 'It's not realistic!' as any sort of relevant complaint in a D&D environment" (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19548390/Not_in_MY_D38;D?post_id=332227098#332227098), and I don't see anything game-breaking about Epic skills, save for Diplomacy (which is already broken pre-Epic).

senrath
2010-07-30, 11:28 AM
Well, while it's not exactly game breaking, it is kinda silly that with an Epic Escape Artist check, you can squeeze through a Wall of Force.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-30, 11:30 AM
Noncasters already break reality at level 7 or 8. Why can't they balance on a cloud or pass through a wall of force at 30?

Marnath
2010-07-30, 11:44 AM
Lol, because my ignorance of how sword fighting or lockpicking works leads me to believe most anything, but i have trouble suspending my disbelief when we get to sillyness like swimming up a waterfall or running up a slick, smooth wall. :smallsmile: I'm well aware none of it is realistic, just some things are harder to swallow than others. Of course, the easy thing when you have a :smallconfused: moment is just say a wizard did it.