PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] SLA based BBEG

Thurbane
2010-07-29, 06:01 PM
Hey all, looking for some advice for a BBEG in a future game I'll be running.

I want to get him to spam SLAs, so I have a few questions:

Race: any races/templates with low LA/CR that get useful SLAs? The more "human looking", the better, for story purposes.

Class: classes that provide SLAs (DFA, Warlock & Factotum spring to mind).

Feats: feats that grant SLAs (Fiendish Heritage, Fey Heritage etc.), or that modify/improved SLAs (Empower SLA, Quicken SLA etc.)

...probably aiming for something around CR 12 to 14. My usual disclaimers apply (no MoI, ToB or psionics; no Eberron or FR specific material; no Dragon mag, homebrew or 3rd party sources please).

Maho-Tsukai
2010-07-29, 07:52 PM
If your not appose to some homebrew Frank and K have the wonderful tome of fiends to use. The Tome of fiends presents a new SLA system for fiends which use "spheres." Spheres grant a character specific SLAs at certain character levels, and you can have three "access" levels" to a sphere. The first allows you to cast that sphere's SLAs 1/day, the second allows you to cast them 3/day and the third makes them all at-will powers, which makes sphere users the best SLA spammers ever. Only certain classes from the tome of fiends grant spheres, however, and most of them require the BBEG in question to be a Fiend or Tiefling, the latter of which is not good at all since the DCs for Sphere SLAs are Cha based.

However, there is an altered version of the warlock class that grants spheres, known as the "sphere-lock" to some, and unlike the standard warlock the sphere system boost it to the point where I have had DM's deny me use of the class, so it can be an effective BBEG, especially since it can get 2 spheres of the highest level access in later levels, and being able to spam SLA versions of spells like wail of the banshee, energy drain and gate at will is nothing to sneeze at.

Oh, and the fact that spheres come with Domain-esc special powers is a plus as well.

Oh, and upgrading sphere access is simple. Each time a class would grant you a sphere, you can chose to gain a new sphere with basic(1st) access or increase the access of a sphere you already have.

Thurbane
2010-07-29, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestion...but infortunately homebrew is out for this campaign. Only official WotC sources, with the exceptions above.

DementedFellow
2010-07-29, 08:06 PM
Truenamer and Warlock are nothing but SLA machines.

kabof
2010-07-29, 08:19 PM
EDIT: No FR, no psionic. I should read more before posting.

avr
2010-07-29, 08:40 PM
Does it have to be SLA's exactly? Binders use supernatural abilities, and I think they're more interesting than warlocks.

Thurbane
2010-07-29, 08:50 PM
In this case, yes, SLAs please.

Note: I am a huge fan of pact magic, and already have a boatload of Binder BBEG/NPCs. Binding will be a large part of this campaign. :smallsmile:

Boci
2010-07-29, 08:56 PM
There is also dragon fire adept, althuogh their breathweapon is not a SLA, so warlock is probably more true.