PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spell Questions

Arillius
2010-07-29, 07:04 PM
There were a few spells I wanted to ask about.

For the first, my DM's got world without divination, or at least the few beings who can cast it are divine in nature. With that in mind I was wondering if one could use Deathwatch to spy out those sneaking around (as opposed to the divination spells we no loner have access to)?

Second, what is the use of the bleed orison for clerics?

Finally, the last I can think of, can a person who casts zone of truth get a will save? And what does it take to dismiss this spell action wise?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-29, 07:08 PM
Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
And Bleed does exactly what it says in the description: forces a stabilized creature to keep on dying.

Also, you aren't inherently protected against your own zone of truth.

Arillius
2010-07-29, 07:37 PM
For the second I was wondering if there was a useful way to use it. I mean a person who isn't stabilized isn't going anywhere, and its range is that that until higher levels you could probably walk the distance and coup de grace.

The second I was more wondering if you could resist it at all, but the question was answered anyway so thank you.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-29, 07:39 PM
You're welcome, and yeah it's pretty tame even for a cantrip, since an acid splash beats it already. It's not worth worrying over it tho, it's not like you can't spare the slot since cantrips don't burn.

Arillius
2010-07-29, 07:45 PM
You're welcome, and yeah it's pretty tame even for a cantrip, since an acid splash beats it already. It's not worth worrying over it tho, it's not like you can't spare the slot since cantrips don't burn.

True, and since I'm multi classing into oracle I'll have ten cantrips to use all from the cleric spell list.

The first question is a big one though. So far our party has managed to anger a stealth and ranged heavy ranger. Since there's no divination I was hoping to pull this spell out and surprise the DM by finding his favorite NPC. You think it could work?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-29, 07:52 PM
Deathwatch completely skipped my mind! It won't ping anything with 5 or more HP so you won't see much use of it to spot sneakers.

Arillius
2010-07-29, 08:24 PM
Actually, in the description it says it can tell for fighting off death (4 or more hp), then healthy, then undead, then neither living nor undead (constructs). All are different things you can see. I figured healthy counts as anything higher then fighteing off death.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-29, 08:47 PM
Oro? I missed that bit o.O I saw low hp, really low hp, undead, not-quite-either...

Well, whatever. You gonna have to ask the dm,as it can be interpreted either way. My guess is that you can't tell where creatures are...just that they are there.

Runeclaw
2010-07-29, 09:31 PM
I don't think you could reasonably expect Deathwatch to reveal creatures you couldn't otherwise see. Otherwise, it would beat See Invisibility, a higher level spell.

Starbuck_II
2010-07-29, 10:41 PM
I don't think you could reasonably expect Deathwatch to reveal creatures you couldn't otherwise see. Otherwise, it would beat See Invisibility, a higher level spell.

No, it says any within area. You would know it is there, but you wouldn't ve told where (only within 30 ft since that is spell's area).

Arillius
2010-07-29, 11:16 PM
Its a thirty foot cone, so it narrows it down, and I'm not so much hoping to find him directly as now his general direction so I can then proceed to hit the ranger with my 30ft radius CNE ability.

Thanks for the input, I was hoping to surprise the DM with this spell the next time he thought to bring this guy but I guess I need to ask him anyway. Good thing he's one of those that rewards creative thinking.

Arillius
2010-08-01, 12:26 AM
Another spell question. I'm taking a level in oracle, and since both classes use cure spells I was wondering if that means the +1/level would count for all my levels, or just the one that I''m casting the spell from.