PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Disciple question..

Maho-Tsukai
2010-07-29, 08:14 PM
The Arcane disciple feat as presented in complete divine is not clear on one thing, what happens when a domain spell is also a spell your class normally gets on their list but at a different spell level? An example being the undeath domain. Would the undeath domain add animate dead to your level 3 spells meaning you could technically learn it as a level 3(provided you had 13+ wisdom) and a level 4 or would you not gain it as a level 3 because you already have it as a level 4 on your list? I ask this because for a long while I have ruled that in such an instance you would in fact have animate dead as a level 3 spell and level 4 spell on your class spell list, but I wanted to make sure that Wizards never actually released some official ruling on this or something like that.

Likewise, if a domain gives you a spell you already have at the same level, dose it appear twice on your spell list at that level or do you just not gain it?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-29, 08:17 PM
To keep things simple, I'd say you use the lowest, and key the appropriate casting stat.

senrath
2010-07-29, 08:24 PM
Based on similar abilities, I'd say you get it at the lower level.

Dracons
2010-07-29, 08:26 PM
It's pretty obvious.

Look at them as /bonus/ spells to choose from.

Since it's only 9 of them, you would prepare them at the level the domain gives you. Doesn't matter if your other class gives them to you earlier. The bonus from this is just like all other prestige classes that give you bonus domains. You prepare them in your slots of the domain spell is itself.

Mostly because a decent chunk, not all, but a decent chunk, will give you a higher level cleric spell then a wizard spell, however the cleric version doesn't have the compantats that the wizard version would have. You might need to wave your symbol more is all.

Ranos
2010-07-29, 08:29 PM
Well, you add the spell to your list. You don't remove any of your existing spells, so your actual spell list really doesn't matter. If you already have the spell, it appears twice, with different levels if applicable. One version cast through wisdom and preparable only once per day, and one version cast normally.