PDA

View Full Version : Druid's animal companion

UndeadCleric
2010-07-29, 08:59 PM
I am making a 3rd level druid for an dungeon crawl and want to know what people would recommend for my companion. I am positive there will be climbs, so either a climb or fly speed is prefered. This narrows it down to:
Rat, either viper, owl, hawk, eagle. I need it to be tough though.
Edit:
Rat, and both vipers have cimb speed 20. Owl has 40 ft fly, hawk 60, eagle, 80. All the flyers have average flight.
I'm leaning toward the medium-sized viper.

Runeclaw
2010-07-29, 09:17 PM
If you're considering a Roc at leve 3, I'm assuming Pathfinder?

The Roc is a strong choice in Pathfinder. Only concern would be whether the climbs are going to be in conditions that are too cramped for its manueravility (it can't fly straight up for instance). If that's a concern, an ape for climb speed might be good.

UndeadCleric
2010-07-29, 09:27 PM
If you're considering a Roc at leve 3, I'm assuming Pathfinder?

The Roc is a strong choice in Pathfinder. Only concern would be whether the climbs are going to be in conditions that are too cramped for its manueravility (it can't fly straight up for instance). If that's a concern, an ape for climb speed might be good.

Ape and Roc are too high a level. Where did I say i was considering a Roc?

WarKitty
2010-07-29, 09:47 PM
I'd say the eagle. At lower levels the animal companion tends to be a good warrior, so pick something with decent attacks.

UndeadCleric
2010-07-29, 10:06 PM
I'd say the eagle. At lower levels the animal companion tends to be a good warrior, so pick something with decent attacks.

Yeah, it's definitely either the eagle or the medium viper. The three major differences are the climb speed of 20 vs. the average flight of 80, the AC differences, and the attack differences. Viper would have 20 AC, 15 touch and 16 flat, while eagle has 17, 14 and 14. The eagle has 2 more attacks than the viper, all at a slightly lower chance of hitting but without the poison.

Do you think average maneuverability will be enough in the dungeon?
And with a 7ft wingspan, will it fit for flight?

Urpriest
2010-07-29, 10:39 PM
Yeah, it's definitely either the eagle or the medium viper. The three major differences are the climb speed of 20 vs. the average flight of 80, the AC differences, and the attack differences. Viper would have 20 AC, 15 touch and 16 flat, while eagle has 17, 14 and 14. The eagle has 2 more attacks than the viper, all at a slightly lower chance of hitting but without the poison.

Do you think average maneuverability will be enough in the dungeon?
And with a 7ft wingspan, will it fit for flight?

7ft wingspan for one shouldn't matter, I'm fairly certain there are no rules about monsters needing space equal to their wingspan to fly.