PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cheap "Fast" Powers For a Gishy Wilder Needed

balistafreak
2010-07-29, 11:10 PM
I'm in the middle of constructing a Wilder5/Thrallherd1. It's shaping up to be a classic tank-esque build, one that manifests a preposterous Astral Construct once before making a tank-like arse of itself with the PVS combo backed with a ridiculous amount of HP through Wildsurged Vigor.

However, after grabbing Vigor and Share Pain, I've got one last 1st level power that I simply can't decide - mainly because at this point everything looks good to me. Will I take a buff to secure my position as a melee fighter, or go frontline blaster instead?

Also, right now I have to (with great reluctance) take Expanded Knowledge to get Mindlink as a known power for Thrallherd. Is there a better way to do this as a Wilder? I'm aware of the Kalashtar trick, but I'm using the Maenad Substitution levels from Untapped Potential (NEVER be dazed by psychic enervation, ho boy) so that's not really an option.

Da'Shain
2010-07-29, 11:18 PM
Educated Wilder ACF from Mind's Eye. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) Get the power as an alternate class feature, lose the Volatile Mind which is mostly worthless.

balistafreak
2010-07-29, 11:26 PM
Already done. I grabbed Astral Construct from it, because as we know, it's a staple. :smallwink:

Da'Shain
2010-07-29, 11:29 PM
Aww. Here I thought I was being helpful.

Don't know any other way beyond what you already know, then. :smalleek:

balistafreak
2010-07-29, 11:45 PM
Well, it's still "better" than Leadership/Improved Leadership, since I can a Cohort of ECL-1 at 6th level instead of 9th. It still costs me two feats, but I get the Cohort earlier and I have two random bonuses to go along with it.

*shrug*

So, about that 1st level power...

tyckspoon
2010-07-30, 12:48 AM
I'd probably go with Crystal Shard or Energy Ray in order to have a standby ranged option. If you intend to pick up Link Power at some point, Force Screen makes a pretty good target for it for a gish- it's very cost-efficient AC, and Link Power removes the action cost which is its biggest drawback. Psionic Grease is Grease, and should need no more commentary. Deja Vu is occasionally exactly the correct power, and is generally quite fun to use even if it's not entirely optimal. Entangling Ectoplasm is a quick-and-dirty single-target no-save debuff; it's not the most powerful condition, but it's pretty much always a useful thing to do if you can't think of anything else. Races of Eberron has one I'm fond of, Primal Fear, which is a swift-action no-save Shaken to one intelligent target/pp spent for 1 round. It explicitly doesn't stack with other fear, but it's still a nice way to soften targets for other save-based effects and defang them a bit when their turn comes up.

balistafreak
2010-07-30, 12:54 PM
Races of Eberron has one I'm fond of, Primal Fear, which is a swift-action no-save Shaken to one intelligent target/pp spent for 1 round. It explicitly doesn't stack with other fear, but it's still a nice way to soften targets for other save-based effects and defang them a bit when their turn comes up.

... whoa. A 1PP swift action power? With great augmentation application?

NO SAVE?

I'll spend >1 PP every turn to keep three targets at -2 to attacks, saves, ability checks and skills. (Surging for extra PP.) It'll also maintain Surging Euphoria, and let me focus on attacks beside.

Granted it's useless against mindless foes and animals (it has to target a creature with Int 3 or greater) but against humanoids... wooooooooow.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-30, 01:35 PM
I just looked it up. It is as good as it sounds. Races of Eberron page 192. I am adding it onto my fear focused warblade//wilder build for a game. It will make a lot of low DC fear effects work much more oftine. Take Induced Awe and never outnumbered + fear inducing feats. I stand a good chance of frightning everyone in 30 ft.