PDA

View Full Version : The Sunless Citadel

Pages : [1] 2

UserClone
2010-07-30, 01:17 AM
OoC Thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9036617#post9036617)

It is nearly midsummer, and the heat is oppressive today, but worse is the humidity. The air is thick with it, and the sweat hangs heavy on your brow, as well as dripping down the back of your neck. Your legs ache from the long days of travel, and you are grateful as you finally enter the environs of Oakhurst, a hamlet situated in a wide, green valley nestled between the imposing and awe-inspiring Skyhammer mountains to the north and the picturesque Whiterock range to the south. Some 120 or more miles to the east, as the crow flies, lies the City of Hammerdale, situated at the edge of the foothills surrounding the aforementioned Skyhammer mountain range.

The local farmer's fields are lush with vegetation this year, for though it is hot, there has been a lot of rain lately as well. On your way into town you notice a number of newly planted trees or shrubs. They alone don't seem to be doing well, their branches barren and twisted.

Ella
2010-07-30, 02:09 AM
Cerise pushes her hair off her face, the wet heat causing it to stick was just another irritation, being away from home suited her poorly at the best of times and this weather made it far from that. Her green eyes scan the horizon as she ambles along the path, the verdant beauty's contrast with the blighted shrubbery barely noticed in her overheated state. She put her hand in her pocket to pet her toad familiar and to ensure he was damp enough. I will have to give him some more water soon. she thought, while practicality had never been her strong suit her travels so far had hammered in the importance of paying attention to small details.

Finding the signet ring would give her enough gold to relax for a while, perhaps somewhere cultural with libraries and wizards, and cool spring water served by handsome attendants. She pauses to take a gulp from her waterskin looking for nearby landmarks.

Pheehelm
2010-07-30, 04:16 AM
Rinas lurched under the gate and leaned his weight against the post with an audible thump. He felt like his knees would buckle, but he resisted the urge. Mostly out of spite, really, although he wasn't sure he'd be able to get back up if he collapsed onto the oddly appealing beautifully green grass still moist and cool from the recent rain fwump Awwwwww.

He lay there on the grass a while, not even worrying about the sun bearing down on him as he indulged in the cool moisture. After an indeterminate period of time, he finally decided he'd rested his legs enough and hauled himself to his feet. There was business to do here. The Sunken Citadel, if it existed, and the stories were accurate, and nobody had plundered it in the interim between those people leaving Oakhearst and his arrival in the same, and he'd correctly remembered it was Oakhearst and not some other place way off, and they'd correctly remembered it was Oakhearst and not some other place way off, was here, and locating it would mean he might just beat Holman at that stupid bet. Of course, Edheldôr was a long distance from the valley, as he'd learned the easy way and confirmed the very hard way.

He looked around. Maybe there was someone around he could ask for information. At this point, he'd do anything to get some coins in his pocket.

I guess the first order of business is to make sure I'm actually in Oakhearst.

lostsole31
2010-07-30, 07:12 AM
Huihaldrimme, sweating but severe, trudges her way with her heavy equipment and armor towards Oakhurst. Finally, she thinks simply, a chance to bathe and sleep comfortably. Finally, a chance, perhaps, to finish this quest.

She steps into town, ignoring the stares of the humans (they always stare) not only at her race, but at her road-worn and dripping form. She sets out to find the tavern - likely at the center of town for humans place their drinking at the heart of their social activities - and goes inside.

"One room, one hot bath with soap, one large meal, please."

noggenfogger
2010-07-30, 12:48 PM
Darius sighs contentedly as he enters Oakhurst. Surely, he thinks, I'll be able to refill skin and replenish my rations here. It sure is hot, I wonder if that's what's killing those shrubs. Doesn't seem likely though, all the farms I've past by have been lush. I wonder... Wiping sweating from his brow and eyes he turns to the nearest person and, bowing, asks "Excuse me, goodman, where might a poor wandering monk refill his skins? And perhaps replenish his rations after long days travels.

rollelectric
2010-07-30, 01:25 PM
Talo walks with wide steps through the hamlet. The heat was exhausting, but he basked in it. He feels he has come to the right place and takes the weather to be a positive sign. Oakhurst is certainly a place to behold. The journey has been trying as well as satisfying for Talo. It was a long one that allowed him to work out his goals. What originally brought him to Oakhurst still rings true in his mind.

He stretches his body to its limits and reaches his arms far above his head to release some tension and takes a brisk pace into the village almost stumbling. Not sure where to look for these mysterious fruits that brought him here, he just wanders through the streets rather aimlessly until he arrives at a tavern. Talo resolves he could stand to at least wash his face as it much have been covered in dirt.

Talo enters the tavern and walks over to the keeper. "Hello, good sir. Do you know where I can find some water to clean up?"

UserClone
2010-07-30, 04:20 PM
You all hear the distinct scream of a woman in distress. It seems to be coming from the direction of a nearby farmhouse.

Darius: You are in the field of said farm, speaking with the farmer who is tending his crop at the moment. The scream came from the entrance to his barn, where a woman in a simple brown dress is standing. She dashes quickly inside. Make a spot check.

noggenfogger
2010-07-30, 04:29 PM
Darius's head snaps towards the sound, his hands instinctively reading his staff.

[roll0]

rollelectric
2010-07-30, 05:15 PM
"On second thought, hold that thought." Talo rushes out of the tavern and makes his way toward the screaming. Once he arrives at the farm he searches for the source of distress.

[roll0]

Pheehelm
2010-07-30, 05:19 PM
Rinas's head jerked up. Someone's in trouble? He grabbed his crossbow and loaded a bolt onto it before he quietly crept towards the nearby farmhouse, intending to locate the doorway and peek through.

UserClone
2010-07-30, 07:12 PM
Darius:You see that the woman is not distressed, she looks angry! Following her gaze, you notice a couple of goblin toughs with wild hair, doing something to those odd shrubberies you saw at the edge of their property.

Suddenly, she dashes back out the barn door with a rake in her hands and murder in her eyes, heading in the goblins' direction.

All others:
As you reach the field, you see two men standing next to an old mule that is hitched up to a plow. One of them is considerably younger than the other and wears a large leather backpack.

A woman in a brown dress dashes out of the barn; as you start to notice the rake she's wielding like a weapon, you also see each other. Please describe yourselves briefly at this time.

Pheehelm
2010-07-30, 07:33 PM
Rinas is dressed primarily in browns, blacks, and grays. His loose clothing is badly frayed and stained from long travel, and mostly obscures the leather armor he's wearing underneath. On his back, oddly clashing with the rest of his outfit due to its good condition, is an expensive backpack with an elaborate arrangement of straps across his wiry torso, biceps, and thighs. He's holding up a crossbow, and on his belt is a sheathed short sword and a wooden case containing bolts. His hair is an unnatural-looking black color and his eyes are green.

He whipped his crossbow around as his eyes followed the woman, then lowered it slightly when he saw several other people standing in the field. Is one of them menacing her? What's going on here? After taking a moment to look them over, he looked in the direction she was running to see what her target was.

UserClone
2010-07-30, 08:27 PM
Rinas: She's stamping her way over towards a pair of goblins which appear to be messing with her shrubs, the same ones you'd noticed were stunted earlier.

Ella
2010-07-30, 08:44 PM
Cerise notes the woman in the field, the mule, plow, the two gentleman, the lady looking kind of distressed, and then the makeshift weapon, despite the heats stupifying effect on her mind it was fairly clear the woman was in some sort of trouble. What would Kirce do?

Cerise thinks upon it for only for a split-second before she breaks into a sprint, one hand hitching up her skirt to allow her to take longer strides, the other drawing her sickle in preparation to assist the woman in any way she can.

rollelectric
2010-07-30, 09:05 PM
Talo's hair catches the sun and is a deep dark reddish brown. The armor he wears clinks as he runs and looks around quickly to take in his surroundings. His old tattered backpack is slung over his shoulders and his shield is hanging over it. His armor is a pale dark purple-red, however, it is covered in dirt, much like its owner. Each step taken indicates more than a spring in his stride, he nearly bounces as he runs onto the scene followed by the loud metallic clinging of his armor.

Arriving at the farm and noticing the woman first rushing forward wielding some farming equipment, Talo is perplexed by the scene. Is this woman in any peril? He slows his run into a jog and moves towards the woman. He takes notice that a couple of other men and women have come on to the field. Instinctively, he looks towards where the woman is charging.

noggenfogger
2010-07-30, 10:16 PM
Seeing the goblins, his staff readied, Darius starts running towards the goblins, his plain robes whipping around him.

(User:)(From the last post, I'm unsure if you want me to describe myself now. Do you?)

lostsole31
2010-07-30, 11:10 PM
A tall (5' 3"), strongly built elven maiden (as far as elves go, of course, not human bodybuilders on steroids), comes running out of the tavern towards the field. She chugs along, weighed down appropriately by her scale mail armor. She has a wooden shield at her back, and an elven warsword at her side. As she comes out, she brings out her shortbow. She does not seem to have any 'gear' (her backpack is still sitting at the counter to the tavern) other than that, except for a belt pouch at her side.

Her hair is a long, would-be-flowing brown; it isn't flowing now as it is a sweaty, tangled mass. As she comes closer you notice her over-tunic (called a tabard) is classic elven ... hunter green but with soft gilt trim. Her weapons are all obviously elven-made, though not apparently of any great workmanship. The scales on her armor are partially articulated to look like trees, rather than just dangling metal 'coins'. The front and back of her tunic comprises of some sort of heraldric or fanciful symbol: a thin ring of cerulean blue, inside which is an oak tree; above the oak tree, perpendicular with string down, is a longbow, above which is a crescent moon in profile so that the leading edge of the moon's crescent is just a fraction away from the leading edge of the bow's curve.

She looks like she might be attractive ... but right now she likes the very road-weary devil of an elf, so it is hard to tell.
Initiative: [roll0]

I might as well put my stated action. As soon as I get a chance, I will take a move action (20') towards the goblins, and fire at one not yet threatening in melee for an easy hit. If battle is fully joined, then she will hold her bow in her left hand and draw her sword on a double move.
Attack (bow): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

UserClone
2010-07-30, 11:57 PM
As suddenly as the event began, it ceases. The two goblins scamper away, giggling and chittering in a devious way as they zip quickly out of sight into the tall grasses of the hills.

Her chest heaving, the woman reaches the spot they were standing only half a breath past the moment they'd left it. "AND STAY OUT!" she cries after them. Blowing the hair up away from her face, she stamps her foot, tossing the rake down in frustration. She bends down to pick it up, and as her body straightens itself back to a standing position, she suddenly notices all these armed people running towards her, and utters a blood-curdling scream identical to the earlier one, only this one is cut short with an "-OOF!" as she accidentally falls on her rear end while attempting to back away.

"SETH, HAAAALP!" she cries.

The man next to the plow simply hangs his head and shakes it slowly from side to side, clearly exasperated with this woman.

Pheehelm
2010-07-31, 12:11 AM
Rinas winced. Those pests had gotten away, and now everything had gotten awkward. Fortunately he'd had enough experience with awkwardness.

He lowered the crossbow and disengaged it as he hurried over to the woman. "Are you all right, ma'am? I was afraid those goblins had injured you," he called, reaching his hand out in front of him to help her up when he reached her.

His mind suddenly turned to the other armed people he'd seen in the field. Hopefully they were friendly locals. Ideally with directions to the Sunken Citadel.

((This is, what, a Diplomacy check? In which case, let's see if I've understood this properly:))
[roll0]

noggenfogger
2010-07-31, 01:12 AM
Darius slows, and then stops, returning the quarterstaff to its familiar position as a walking stick. Turning towards the man, he says calmly, "Seth is it? Do you have many problems with goblins in these parts goodman?" Glancing over at the other armed man approaching the woman, he quickly decides it's safe let the situation play itself out having overheard the armed man's question.

Leaning on his staff, he wipes his his brown hair from his face and waits for the farmer's reply.

rollelectric
2010-07-31, 10:21 AM
Raising an eyebrow as the woman falls back helplessly screaming for help, Talo makes his way to the cluster of people. Feeling as though he misjudged the gravity of the situation, he lets himself relax and approaches the woman and the scrawny man now talking with her and listens in on their conversation. He also takes note that the word "goblin" is being discussed between the man that must be Seth and another stranger.

I didn't see anything. Must have been a small group. Frowning at being unable to help the woman, her shrieks were rather disturbing. He turns to her and asks as she is being helped to stand. "Is there anyway I can be of an assistance? I'd be happy to help."

lostsole31
2010-07-31, 05:35 PM
The elven maiden comes up, putting her weapons away. Seeing that the woman is more than well-taken care of, she goes to the farmer. She sees the woman is excitable, but the male human seems to be more solid. "Do goblins happen here often? What do they want?"

UserClone
2010-08-01, 03:13 PM
"My, my, well this is more people than we're used to around these parts," announces the man identified as Seth. "I really appreciate y'all takin' the time to come to our aid, though Hazel is pretty vigilant all on her own, heheh. Say, why don't ye come on in the house and take a load off, an' I can do a bit in the way of explainin'. Name's Seth, o' course, by the way."

The woman seems a bit awestruck at first, with all the weapons and armor coming at her, but as Seth stays calm, she slowly begins to relax and, taking the hand offered her, gets up and dusts herself off.

"So sorry about that," says she. "It's just I had no idea what was going on, and that you might be bandits or something. You understand. Yes, please do come in, and I'll fix everyone some lemonade!"

She smiles and decisively tamps the ground once with the rake, and heads to the barn to put it away. Seth beckons you all inside with an arm over his shoulder as he trudges to the house, taking the donkey with him, but leaving the plow. As he reaches the porch, he hitches the donkey to it, letting it graze on the small, but well-kempt and exceptionally green lawn.

Pheehelm
2010-08-01, 03:33 PM
Rinas let out a happy sigh. Lemonade. How long has it been... Actually, it had been a while since he'd had so much as clean water to drink. He returned the crossbow to his backpack and followed the farmer into the house.

lostsole31
2010-08-01, 04:16 PM
The elven maiden says, "I'll have to get my pack..."

She goes back to the tavern to pick up her backpack (if it's still there ... hell erupts with fury if it isn't), and tells the tavernkeeper that she is enjoying hospitality of a farmer, but might yet need a room later.

She then returns to Seth's. She takes sword, shield, and bow and places it at the entranceway inside the house. She doesn't stroll around someone's house with that stuff on ... though she still has her armor, if nothing else than she desperately needs to wash.

UserClone
2010-08-01, 05:16 PM
Lostsole31(because I can't be bothered memorizing how to spell a name that damned long):The backpack is not where you left it on the bar. Just as you begin to erupt with the righteous blah, blah, whatever :smallwink:, the barman produces it from behind the bar.

"Din' want anyone to take nothin' from it, and I's to busy to keep an eye on it, so...here ya go. Hope to have your business in the future, miss...?"

noggenfogger
2010-08-01, 05:32 PM
As he start to follow Seth into the house, Darius says plainly, "Thank you kindly, sir."

Setting his staff on in entranceway inside the house he continues following Seth inside, eager to hear news of the world.

rollelectric
2010-08-01, 07:53 PM
Talo perks up at the mention of lemonade. "I love lemonade!" He smiles broadly at the suggestion. Following Hazel into her home he sees the others dropping their weapons at the door and follows suit. He awkwardly swings his shield and backpack off. Making sure his morningstar is perfectly balanced against the wall he walks through the house.

He notices some of the others do not appreciate the midsummer heat as he. However, their sudden appearance on the scene convinces him that they are all fine souls.

lostsole31
2010-08-01, 09:57 PM
She takes the backpack, but this time smiling as much as she can muster given her roadweary condition. " ... Huihaldrimme," she answers for the tavernkeep. "Goodman ... ?"

As she enters the house, she prays briefly, Ehlonna please bless this home so near to the fine woods of which its town is named.

Ella
2010-08-01, 10:36 PM
Cerise wonders inside slowly following behind Seth, she had been too slow to intervene or even even help in scaring off goblins. Next time I will show them a thing or too. She smiles outwardly but feels a little puzzled about the happenings of the day, the screams, the scares and now just conversation and a refreshing drink it would appear, what could possibly come next.

Cerise takes a seat and waits to see what Seth has to say.

UserClone
2010-08-01, 11:23 PM
While the elven maiden trots off to the Ol' Boar Inn to get her effects, Seth offers each of you a seat. You're surprised at the niceties a simple farmer can afford, but upon seeing some of you look around in wonder at his many pieces of wicker furniture and fine country house, the man simply states that a lot of hard work was had in their making, and he intends to retire as comfortably as he and his wife can when the time comes.

Hazel returns from the kitchen in fine spirits with a large earthen jug and enough hand-carved wooden mugs for everyone present, just as Huihaldrimme returns.

"Oh go on dear, you tell them, I'd just forget something and mess it up. Besides, you're the one what's got the gift of gab, anyhow," she says to Seth as she pours each of you a glass. "I'll just go and make myself useful here in the corner and et back to sewing those pants I was working on."

With a smile, she does just that. The lemonade smells great, and tastes even better. Cool well water, fresh lemons, and sweetened with honey.

"Aahh...my favorite," begins Seth with a long gulp of the stuff. "So. I'm assumin' since you're all here, you must've heard about the magic apples. Well perhaps you didn't hear the whole story...

"There's a goblin tribe infesting the nearby ruins what's called te Sunless Citadel, though no one knows why it is anymore. Anyway, these goblins sell just one piece of magical fruit to the highest bidder in Oakhurst every midsummer. Been doin' it since before me an' Hazel ever even got here, and that was ten years ago.

"Usually, the fruit goes fer about fifty gold pieces, since that's the utmost anybody 'round here'd be willin' to pay a goblin, y'know?. Way more'n we can afford. Usually Kerowyn Hucrele wins the bid, but once or twice a stranger's come through town willin' ta pay more'n even she's willing to. Fruit's an apple, a big, ripe red one, and it heals anybody sufferin' from any disease or ailment!

"We've planted the seeds from 'em in the past, hopin' to cut out the middleman, or middle goblin, I guess."

He pauses to take another long sip.

"When the seeds germinate in the proper season, they produce a twiggy mass of sapling stems that gets more twisted and blackened as it grows. Then, not too long after they hit two foot tall, they get stole. Happens every single time! S'gotta be them goblins. I always see 'em out there messin' with them saplings, tryin' to kill 'em 'fore they can really even take root! What I wouldn't give...

"So basically, Hazel an' I try and keep an eye on the damn things when we can, and drive off the little buggers. Who says only they should have magic apples? It ain't fair!"

He gets up to pour himself another cup of lemonade.

"Anyone like some more?"

lostsole31
2010-08-01, 11:38 PM
The elven maiden is sipping her lemonade slowly, enjoying the play of flavor with each small swig, but still has her half-full glass filled when offered.

She stands "I am Huihaldrimme. I don't know any of you or what you need - be your itinerants or rivals for the apple. I have come from some distance to see if this apple is what I need to heal my mother of a wasting curse-disease set upon her by an elf whose magic has corrupted him. Nothing - neither priestly spells, nor hedge's curse-banes, nor apothecary's art - seems to have any effect. This is my family's last hope, for my other sisters have gotten nothing.

"Seth, do you know any reason that this Kerowyn constantly purchases these apples? Could she, or her family, or a loved one also be in some peril?"

Pheehelm
2010-08-02, 12:24 AM
"So. I'm assumin' since you're all here, you must've heard about the magic apples. Well perhaps you didn't hear the whole story...Rinas sat up, about to interrupt.

"There's a goblin tribe infesting the nearby ruins what's called te Sunless Citadel, though no one knows why it is anymore.He sat back down hard, unable to stop a wide smile from spreading over his face. Perfect. Absolutely perfect. He'd overheard the wrong name back in Edheldôr, but this had to be the place.

He listened to the rest of the farmer's story with increasing intrigue. If the farmer was right about the saplings, there was a gold mine to be had with these apples. He couldn't believe these past few years he'd been fixated on mundane gems and dusty relics of civilizations long since rendered obsolete by the flow of time. Holman was likely focused on the same; something like this would blow him out of the water no matter how far ahead he was.

"Anyone like some more?" Rinas downed his half-cupfull and held out the glass. "Yes, please." As he awaited the refill, he began mulling over his next move. I should probably ask for directions...but what do I do about these others? He winced at the idea of competing against other adventurers yet again. Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

UserClone
2010-08-02, 01:30 AM
Without looking up from the mug he is refilling, Seth replies, "Nah, she's a merchant. Only one in town. She just sells em', is my guess."

Ella
2010-08-02, 01:43 AM
"And these goblins, are they violent, do they do other evil acts in the area?" Cerise asks quietly, putting her glass back down on the table, considering the situation. The goblin's have done no wrong, and are trading with the humans instead of nightly raids on livestock and vagrants?

"Another glass, if you don't mind good sir." she murmers looking around the table at the expressions on the others faces, curious about if anyone was buying this attempt to break the goblin monopoly on their fruit. "So if you were able to grow the fruit, what would you do with your first crop?" she inquires politely.

rollelectric
2010-08-02, 10:44 AM
In response to the elven maiden's introduction, Talo rose and introduced himself. "I also seek the healing powers of these fruit. I have no specific goals in mind for their powers, nothing as dire as a loved one in need. My life has been dedicated to the service of the Pelor, the Shining One. This blessed fruit is only something I wish to learn from and understand. However, the needs of others are far more pressing. Consequently, I feel obliged to offer my services to you fair maiden Huihaldrimme in your quest to break this wretched curse."

Giving a short bow, Talo realizes he forgot to say his name and damns himself. "Er...my name is Talo." Falling back into his seat, he drinks his lemonade curious about the others motivations.

As Seth finished up his story, Talo's thoughts were interrupted by an empty cup. He couldn't have enough of this unearthly lemonade. "I'd love some more, please."

The inquiry of the woman who had earlier wielded a curious weapon, had been on his mind. A healing power such as the apple has must be sought after by many, poor and rich. Hazel and Seth may have some need for it too, so he awaited their answer. These were kind people and he would consider it an honor to help them in anyway he could.

UserClone
2010-08-02, 11:58 AM
"Hazel, dear. Would you be so kind as to fetch my pipe?" asks Seth.

"Well, where is it?"

"Hm, in our bedroom, someplace, I think."

With a smile, she sets down her sewing and sets off to find the pipe.

A moment after she is out of earshot, Seth removes a pipe from his pocket and, after packing it with tobacco from a leather pouch, lights it with a wooden match, and resettles himself in the chair.

"My wife is...not well, ladies and gentlemen. I confess, my interest in having you here for lemonade is not entirely to inform, but to ask for your help. We simply can't afford the prices those goblins get for the apples. That's why we keep trying to grow our own, and those little monopolizing bastards keep ripping them out by the root and stealing them in the small hours of the night.

"I'm at my wit's end. Hazel keeps-"

"I can't seem to find it, dear!" you hear her call from the bedroom.

"I'm sure it's there. Keep looking! Hazel keeps getting worse and worse each day. There's little of the woman I married left in her, and I think an apple might, like in your mothers case, be the only way to reverse whatever is her illness."

Just then, Hazel returns to find Seth smoking the pipe in question. "What is the meaning of this?!" she asks sharply.

"Ah, yes. Turned out it was in my pocket the whole time. Terribly sorry, Hazel. Silly me."

Instantly the smile returns to her face. "My silly man," she says, returning back to her seat and to her sewing.

Seth clears his throat. "And in answer to your question, miss...? You know, I don't believe I caught your name, actually...yes, the goblins here are as violent and vulgar as anywhere, though much less so as the years have gone by. Marcus only lost one dairy cow this year, and that was his fault, letting her graze so far afield. Shame, really. She gave the richest milk you ever drank."

noggenfogger
2010-08-02, 02:32 PM
Darius sits quietly sipping his lemonade, engrossed in the man's tale. Now, he clears his throat, and says, "It would be my pleasure to help you Seth, and you as well fine maiden. I've no experience adventuring, but I'm not a bad hand with my staff." With that said, he returns to silence.

rollelectric
2010-08-02, 03:07 PM
Wishing to talk more with Seth regarding his wife's condition, Talo shifts uncomfortably. He does not want to bring attention to the situation with Hazel present. Instead, he agrees with one of the others. "I would also like to lend you a hand. You are fine people and Pelor compels me to help you."

A frown finds its way onto Talo's face and he gulps down his lemonade. Wondering about the nature of the Sunless Citadel that was mentioned and exactly the nature of goblins that can grow such magical apples. There must be something more to all this and he felt it was sinister.

Pheehelm
2010-08-02, 05:02 PM
Heh. Altruists, the lot of them. Which means less direct competition, at least in the short run. Rinas weighed his words carefully. Birds of a feather flock together; best to blend in with this crowd and tag along. "My name is Rinas Wolran, dungeoneer from -" he caught himself. Mentioning that city hadn't helped him any back in "- Edheldôr." Technically accurate. "It would be my pleasure to make these apples readily available not only to your wife but to all the people of the world." Even more accurate. He sipped his lemonade to hide or at least justify his smirk. "S'good."

After taking a moment to collect himself, he asked, "So, how do we reach this citadel?"

UserClone
2010-08-02, 07:43 PM
Seth begins to speak, but Hazel cuts him off.

With a glazed, faraway look in her eyes, her head tilts slightly to the side. As her pointed finger rises to point out the window towards the Western end of town, she says in a monotone, "The Sunless Citadel is found along the Old Road...death is the only reward for interlopers there...Gulthias will have his revenge..."

She seems to snap out of whatever trance she was in, and happily continues with her sewing. Seth, a look of stark terror in his eyes, takes a handkerchief out of his back pocket and wipes the sweat from his brow.

"She ain't never done NOTHIN' like that before...it's getting worse."

"What's that, dear?" Asks Hazel.

"Oh, nothin', sweetheart, just talkin' about the goblins."

He gives you all a grave look.

Ella
2010-08-02, 11:10 PM
"I will help you, to the fullest extent of my ability for a single seed upon completion." Cerise offers kindly, seeing Hazel's problem so clearly demonstrated worried her, for the womans future.

If Kirce found out I failed to help a stranger when I so easily am able to, she would be disappointed.

"I understand your predicament, and offer you my complete assistance in seeing this through to a happy conclusion for all." Cerise took another sip of lemonade and smiles.

UserClone
2010-08-02, 11:49 PM
With a warm smile, Seth says, "Well, I thank you all for your kind words. I won't keep you here any longer, I'm sure you have better things to be gittin' on to."

He leads the party back to the door, and, opening it, steps out onto the porch.

lostsole31
2010-08-03, 12:03 AM
Huilhaldrimme, will nod her head slowly but assertively at Cerise's words, though her face is stone and hard to read.

As they are ushered out, she says, "Thank you for your hospitality, Seth. I wish your gods bless your home and those that dwell within."

Well, I'm in it now, she thought, sighing outwardly while walking back to the tavern (after picking up her gear at Seth's place). But, it's been a couple of years and nothing has worked ... but now this woman is cursed with bane-sight, and who knows where alliance may turn to rivalry. The hearts of men are easily corrupted.

Without being sociable, she heads back to the tavern - the one edifice that serves to human soldiers of fortune as sap to mosquitoes. She knows she'll see them on the morrow. Just one more night of solitude in public before I must address my new companion's buzzing humanity.

"Tavernkeep, still have a room, a bath, and a good meal?"

UserClone
2010-08-03, 12:52 AM
Huilhaldrimme:The tavernkeep, one Garon (you don't catch his last name), is a male human of approximately 35 years of age, rather plain-looking and currently drying a glass with a cloth.

"I dunno if I'd call it a 'good' meal, but we got food, sure. It'll feed yer belly, at any rate. Room's a gold and comes with a free dinner, and another 2 silvers if you want a bath. Worth your while?"

Ella
2010-08-03, 01:03 AM
Cerise leaves the house quietly, lost in thought. Such a sad state of affairs when one so obviously blighted somehow could suffer without assistance, the merchants ring would have to wait and it was her own fault for not helping Hazel one of those years when she purchased the fruit.

It is not the goblin's fault though, is it. She considers the situation from another angle, considering whether the goblins should be blamed for their canny ability to make money from their fruit. Hazel's health takes priority over goblin profits though. The best way to this so called Sunless Citadel, I must find it.

Cerise finds herself near a tavern and looks around, having wondered so far without thinking perhaps it would be best to find somewhere to rest before heading off. She walks into the tavern and approaches the bar asking "Have you a room spare?"

noggenfogger
2010-08-03, 01:42 AM
Watching as his compatriots leave, Darius then turns to Seth and asks, "Sir, might a poor monk spend the night in your barn?"

lostsole31
2010-08-03, 01:47 AM
Huihaldrimme turns to the human woman, seeing it is someone she is supposed to work with now. (Internal sigh, at least human women have some sense.) She smiles at her, but the smile is very slight. She turns back around and says, "More than worth my while, thank you, Garon."

She gives the man 2 gp, but does wait for change ... expecting 8 sp in return, but giving 1 sp as a tip (so that she gets back 7 sp total). I will drop another 1 sp tip for the tavern wench for when she is fed. ((Sheet updated.)) That won't happen until after a bath, however ... she is desperate to feel clean again.

Pheehelm
2010-08-03, 02:53 AM
Rinas gladly took the opportunity to exit the farmers' home gracefully. The woman's trance had left him feeling deeply unsettled, as well as slightly guilty for his role in provoking it. He avoided looking Seth in the eye as he murmured a farewell.

Several of the other adventurers seemed to be headed in the same direction, so he followed them to their destination. A tavern. Food, drunkards, lodging, everything he could ask for.

Upon entering, he found the human woman and the elf warrior inside, both at the bar, and paused. Let's see...elf women tended not to like me very much...well, just don't come on too strong. He walked up to the bar. "Afternoon, ladies," he said with his best smile. "Well, since it seems we've come here for the same thing anyways, may I presume we'll all be accompanying each other to theeeeee -?" He stopped and looked around the tavern, checking to see who might be eavesdropping.

((OOC: If nobody in particular catches his eye, Rinas finishes "citadel." Otherwise, he says "orchard" and hopes his fellow adventurers catch his meaning. He doesn't automatically trust the barman.))

rollelectric
2010-08-03, 10:48 AM
Talo follows closely behind the others heading towards the tavern. He does make a note that the monk had stayed behind to discuss something with Seth. The poor farmer has suffered enough distress for one night. The tavern would be a fine place to unwind and find out more about what would seemingly be his companions. He says a quick prayer to Pelor and leaves Seth with every assurance he can muster up. "Worry not Seth, we'll have your wife back to her old self."

Despite his assurances, Talo was unsure about the "we." The elven maiden set off without a word to the newly formed group, the others followed. Now Talo was also following them into the tavern. Shaking the four gold pieces in his pocket, Talo had no desire or need to stay at the inn. He did wish to get to know his new companions better.

Three of them are at the bar and discussing something. He caught the tail end of the question of the wiry fellow, and chimed in. "Yes, I found myself wondering the same thing."

UserClone
2010-08-03, 10:49 AM
The Ol' Boar Inn:
The bar is mostly empty. There's a group of two men and a woman in one corner, and an extremely drunk-looking fellow is slumped over the other end of the bar. Garon, the bartender, is wiping down the bar, closer to the drunk's end.

"Yes, m'dear, I have. It's a gold for the night, meal included. Two silvers more for a nice, warm bath." Looking at Rinas as he mentions 'coming here for the same thing,' he says, "Sorry mate, but we're full up at the moment. Your little friend here just got the last room. Double occupancy costs another five silver...but you don't seem like that type of girl," he finishes, looking at Cerise.

To Rinas and Talo, he says, "You might asks Mrs. Hucrele...she's got a pretty big house all to herself these days. Might have a room she can spare for a price."

Back at the Farm:
Seth gives you a pained look.

"I'm...I'm sorry, no. I've made it a habit not to trust outsiders too much. It's nothing you've said or done...I guess I'm just a little...set in my ways. I think it's better you just left...I'm sure sorry, mister."

lostsole31
2010-08-03, 12:33 PM
Rinas ...walked up to the bar. "Afternoon, ladies," he said with his best smile. "Well, since it seems we've come here for the same thing anyways, may I presume we'll all be accompanying each other to theeeeee -?" He stopped and looked around the tavern, checking to see who might be eavesdropping, "citadel."

Talo caught the tail end of the question of the wiry fellow, and chimed in. "Yes, I found myself wondering the same thing."
Huilhaldrimme feels more crowded than ever as the whole of this congregation of n'tell quessir crowd in around her. She looks at the one with the ill-favored look and answers him, "Yes .... tomorrow. Tonight we are still our own."

And with that she leaves with Garon to get her (solitary) room and bath ... and lock the door. She will have her meal in her room tonight.

rollelectric
2010-08-03, 01:42 PM
"I see..." Talo frowns as Huilhaldrimme walks away. However, the news given by the barkeep was interesting. Meeting with Mrs. Hucrele could prove to be useful. She after all must understand these extent of the power of the magical fruit.

Talo asks the unhealthy looking fellow. "What is your plan for the night...I don't believe I caught your name, my apologies." Talo rubs the back of his head softly.

"I plan to visit this Mrs. Hucrele, if you'd like to join." He gives a slight smile.

Pheehelm
2010-08-03, 07:53 PM
"Yes .... tomorrow. Tonight we are still our own."Elves.
"What is your plan for the night...I don't believe I caught your name, my apologies." Talo rubs the back of his head softly.

"I plan to visit this Mrs. Hucrele, if you'd like to join.""Well, I've just arrived in town, and I'm short on money." Rinas answered. "And Rinas Wolran. I believe you introduced yourself as...Talo, was it? A humble servant of Pelor?" He considered what little money he had available. "I'm not sure I could afford this woman's hospitality, but it might be worthwhile to ask what she knows about the goblins. She's the one who's made deals with them, right? Bound to know something useful." He turned to the other woman from the farmhouse. "Care to come along? The day's still young, after all. Never mind -" Let's get this right... "- Lady Huihaldrimme, let's all get better acquainted with each other." He looked around. "Let's see, wasn't there another fellow with us at the farmhouse?"

lostsole31
2010-08-03, 10:51 PM
By the time you were done chatting with Talo, Huihaldrimme was already gone.

Ella
2010-08-03, 11:36 PM
"Single occupancy." Cerise responds to the tavern keeper "And glass of spiced wine please." she puts her money on the table before turning to the men she had met at the farm, the elf seemed disinterested in socialising but that was fine by her there would be more than enough knowledge between the others to prove instructive, or so she hoped.

"My name is Cerise, and I would be honoured to accompany you in meeting this merchant, it was after all the tale of her missing ring that drew me here." she looks at the pair of strangers. "May I ask what sort of talents the pair of you have, I am rather hoping to find out before we meet the goblins."

noggenfogger
2010-08-03, 11:45 PM
Frowning to himself, Darius starts wandering lackadaisically in the direction in the direction of the others walked off in. Rubbing his chin he wonders, Outsider? Am I really an outsider here?

Unexpectedly hurt by the mans refusal he continues thinking, Outsider. Outsider. Mayhap I am an outsider. He sighs slowly. Outsider. I suppose I should get used to it.

Once more, Darius wipes sweat slicked hair from his face. In spite of meandering, he's nearly reached what is obviously the tavern his companions entered. Still... it wasn't much to ask, was it? The man seemed grateful enough for my assistance in procuring those apples. Is there something I'm not supposed to see in his barn?

Darius enters the tavern thinking perhaps I just need to mediate. And starts looking around the room.

Pheehelm
2010-08-04, 12:11 AM
A missing ring? Interesting. Rinas almost asked what she meant, but she asked a question of her own first.

"Oh, you know." He took one of her coins off the table. "Exploration, stealth, and a few magic tricks," he said as he quickly closed and opened his hand, making the coin disappear.Sleight of Hand: [roll0]After taking a moment to smirk, he reached behind her ear and revealed the coin. "So, what do you do?" he asked as he flipped the coin back onto the bar.

Ella
2010-08-04, 12:52 AM
"I dabble, I guess." Cerise replies. "I was taught some magic by a wise old woman who came to live in my neighbourhood, she sold charms and herbs, foretold the future and healed pets." she sighs and blow her fringe away from her eyes. "I have trouble doing anything real with arcane forces, but I have some small talent in the way of fear." she bites her lip and gives him a coy look. "I am ever so terrifying, aren't I."

rollelectric
2010-08-04, 10:33 AM
Raising a small eyebrow at the discussion between Cerise and Rinas, Talo does not interrupt. After the woman's account of her talents, he explains the extent of his own skills. "I am a simple cleric. Much of the power I wield is lent to me by Pelor, who I have devoted my life to. But, I am curious Cerise. What is the nature of the ring this merchant possesses?"

Instinctively looking over his shoulder, Talo notices the monk has entered the tavern. Not wanting to be too pressing after what just occurred with the elf maiden, Talo gives a small nod.

noggenfogger
2010-08-06, 09:42 AM
Darius nods, then walks forward. "Menacing indeed. I couldn't help but overhear your conversation." Waving his hand over the bar, "Not exactly much background noise to cover conversations with. I am a simple monk, if my clothing did not give that away. Or my staff. I too would like to hear of this ring." Darius sits down at the table.

lostsole31
2010-08-08, 11:11 PM
Huihaldrimme drops the backpack the few inches needed for it to contact the floor. She likewise tries to set the shield against the wall carefully, but is too tired to stop it from toppling to the floor. She works mightily to have the strength to unclasp her armor, but in time that too comes to the floor.

She sits listlessly as the chambermaid finishes with the bath and leaves her meal. Then, Huihaldrimme slips off her ... OOC: Hey, wait a minute. Oh, you got me, User ... your push for more IC almost had me typing some elven-chica fanboy fantasy here ... not gonna happen, buddy. Not gonna happen. :haley:

Ella
2010-08-09, 08:12 AM
"I know little of the ring, I have heard it is a signet ring of great personal value to the merchant, a small thing she had lost but of great value to her. I know little else but the bounty's size tempted me greatly and if it is possible to recover it I would do so to claim it, and if you assist me in doing so, I would be happy to share. " Cerise thinks carefully about how little the reward would be split amongst her companions, and sighs.

"We should speak to her before we visit this sunless citadel, perhaps she will have more information about it, as well as knowledge to share about the goblins."

rollelectric
2010-08-09, 03:46 PM
"Yes. I am interested in her perspective on all this." Talo nods in agreement with Cerise. He figures the merchant will have the greatest knowledge of the apples and may have some in hand. The idea leads him to turn towards the door and start heading out on his way to Mrs. Hucrele's mansion.

"Let's meet her while the day is still beautiful. I'm sure Lady Huihaldrimme would love to hear of what we find out." Talo steps out of the tavern and closes his eyes and basks in the heat for a quick second. Then he moves on his way.

Pheehelm
2010-08-09, 11:26 PM
Cerise bites her lip and gives Rinas a coy look. "I am ever so terrifying, aren't I."Wait, what just happened?

He somehow managed to catch most of the witch said about the signet ring.

"A lost ring? Well...I'm good at searching for things...wouldn't hurt us to give it a try, at least. She may at least appreciate the effort." He lingered for a moment, then turned to the barkeep.

"Say, barkeep! Where can someone new in town find Kerowyn Hucrele's manor?"

UserClone
2010-08-10, 12:54 AM
"Hah. 'Manor?' Where do you think you are, city-slicker? Store's 'ataway, 'bout fifty paces across the street. Pffft...manor."

The man chuckles a bit more to himself.

Pheehelm
2010-08-10, 01:52 AM
Rinas scratched his head. But didn't he call it a... he thought back over the barman's earlier recommendation. No, he'd merely called it a big house. Must've overestimated her wealth...huh.

"Ah. Thank you then," Rinas replied politely, and strode out into the hot sunlight ow! He winced, took a moment to adjust, and walked in the direction pointed out by the barman. It's just fifty paces, it's just fifty paces...

Ella
2010-08-10, 05:43 AM
Manor or not, she is the one offering the reward. She stands and follows Rinas outside. She strides along the street, taking big paces, counting them in her head. Need to make a good impression, best to get the right house as a start.

rollelectric
2010-08-10, 10:51 AM
Realizing he had know idea where he was headed, Talo doubles back as Rinas exits the tavern and follows his lead. "Which way to the manor?"

UserClone
2010-08-11, 08:42 AM
No sooner is the question uttered than does Talo feel foolish for having asked it. The others seem to be concentrating so hard on taking the right number of steps in the right direction that they don't even see the edifice which must obviously be the Merchant Hucrele. Talo easily overtakes the others, and upon entering is struck by a thick haze of smoke.

A fairly well-dressed, though unkempt, woman of probably 45 or 50 summers stands distractedly in a corner fixing a display of backpacks, sacks, and satchels of all sorts, which seems to have fallen. A cigarette, half burned to ash, hangs from a corner of her mouth.

She turns at the sound of the little bell on the door as it closes behind you, the ash falling off the end of the cigarette. Pulling it from her mouth, she breathes out a cloud of smoke and looks upon you with watery, blue eyes.

"Good afternoon," she says with a sort of sad resignation. After another puff from the cigarette, she follows up with, "How may I help you...all?"

lostsole31
2010-08-11, 12:56 PM
User, it will take Huilhaldrimme only fifteen minutes to sup, but then an hour to bathe.

After that, however, she will go out into town (without armor and shield) to try to find an extra set of clothes. As it is, she is already wearing dirty/ sweaty clothes on a clean body ... but she so desperately needed that bath.

rollelectric
2010-08-11, 02:04 PM
With watering eyes Talo squints at the woman who must be Mrs. Hucrele. Still he asks the woman and introduces himself. "Mrs. Hucrele? My name is Talo Kuren. How do you do?" Making a short bow and resisting every urge to clear his throat and cough. It takes a few seconds for Talo to remember why he is here.

"We are here to offer our services in locating your lost signet ring. Well I am anyway." Talo did not want to speak for everyone. "Please, can you tell us more of the ring?" He looks at the woman's eyes and hopes the smoke is the cause of their wateriness.

UserClone
2010-08-11, 09:39 PM
"Ring...? You mean rings. my son and daughter are both missing, and each carries a signet ring."

With misty eyes, she confesses, "I fear for the worst, but I'll do what it takes to get my children back. How many is your rescue party? I-I'll give you each 125 gold pieces per signet ring you return to me, and I'll double it if you bring back my Talgen and Sharwyn back alive. I'd consider the offer if you're looking for work..."

She sighs, and her shoulders slump with defeat.

"I can't lie to you. I want them back, but not like this. I need you to know that no 'adventurer' who has gone into the Sunless Citadel has come out alive. I'd know, because I'm the fool who financed the only quest into the ruins since that priest went in five years ago, and was never heard from again. I'll tell you more if you'd like the job. And if you take the job, I'll advance you each up to 100 gold pieces' worth of gear from this store."

rollelectric
2010-08-11, 10:14 PM
Talo waves his hands in the air defensively. "Oh ma'am. I will offer my services free of charge. I don't need anything to help a mother in desperate need." Realizing he could not alone undertake this quest he turns to his new companions.

"I, however, cannot speak for my friends. But, please. Tell us more." He realized again that he shouldn't be doing the talking. However, he was greatly moved by the woman's plight and wanted to offer his assurances.

Pheehelm
2010-08-12, 02:43 AM
"Ring...? You mean rings. my son and daughter are both missing, and each carries a signet ring." Uh oh. This is gonna be harder than I thought...
"And if you take the job, I'll advance you each up to 100 gold pieces' worth of gear from this store."Rinas quickly scanned the shop. He already had a backpack, likely nicer than anything this woman offered, but a hundred gold pieces worth of other gear might well make a difference up ahead. He caught himself as soon as he finished. Looking greedy was unseemly under the circumstances. First he should establish interest in the crisis, then move to the rewards.

"I'll do what I can, ma'am." Thoughtful pause... "Whatever information you have to offer us about the Sun-" say it right "-less Citadel would be a great help."

((Questions Rinas will ask in some form, if she doesn't answer them on her own:))
"How many goblins are there?"
"What's their hierarchy?"
"How dangerous are they?"
"How do they react to humans approaching the Citadel?"
"What else is there besides goblins?"
"What happened with your children?"
"What do they look like?"
"What do these rings look like?"
"Do you know anything about Gulthias?"

UserClone
2010-08-12, 05:01 PM
@Talo: "...I...I don't know what to say, sir. I had not known there were men like you left. But, certainly I could instead donate the money towards funding a chapel here in Oakhurst, in Pelor's honor. Would that suit you, honorable cleric?"

@Rinas:
((Questions Rinas will ask in some form, if she doesn't answer them on her own:))

"How many goblins are there?"
"I have no idea. The most we've seen here are the half-dozen or so that they send to sell off their magic apples."

"What's their hierarchy?"
"...How could I know that? Honestly, even the few we interact with do nothing but squabble and talk over each other."

"How dangerous are they?"
"Same as any goblins I suppose...though they're less hostile around the summer solstice, presumably because that's when they sell the apple, so that sort of hostility would be counter-productive."

"How do they react to humans approaching the Citadel?""Again, I couldn't say, as nobody I know of has returned."

"What else is there besides goblins?""...I really don't know what's down there..."

"What happened with your children?"
"They left for the Citadel two weeks ago, along with an elf hunter and a paladin called Sir Braford. He was a good man, too...anyway, they were going down just to investigate the goblins, to figure out how they were getting these magical fruits, and why they seem to be poisoning, then stealing, the saplings whenever we try to grow new trees from the apple seeds seems obvious to me, they just want to keep their horrible little monopoly. Why should scum like those little wretches have the power to heal? It should lay in the hands of good people, like Pelorites such as your friend here."

"What do they look like?"
"Talgen is my oldest, a strapping lad of twenty-two summers, with golden-brown hair and broze skin like his father. Sharwyn, his younger sister, has my hair and eyes, and is quite petite and fair of skin. She's an apprentice mage, actually."

"What do these rings look like?"
She just shows you her own. It is a brass ring with a stylized 'H' flanked by a quill and a coin. Quite distinctive.
"Do you know anything about Gulthias?""No, never heard of it...some sort of disease or something, is it?"

noggenfogger
2010-08-12, 07:32 PM
Overhearing her reply to Talo, Darius says gently, "I don't know about my companion, but that would be a fine gesture with my share." Hesitantly he adds, "Might you know of a barn where a poor monk could sleep around here?"

UserClone
2010-08-12, 09:37 PM
With an incredulous look, Kerowyn replies, "Absolutely not! Imagine! Letting you brave heroes sleep in a barn! No, you'll sleep in my spare bedrooms. I have a guestroom in addition to Talgen and Sharwyn's rooms.

"Miss, you can take my daughter's bed and two of you can take the guest bedroom down the hall from there. It's got twin beds, so everyone can have their own. It's the least I can do. I'll arrange for breakfast at the Ol' Boar Inn across the street there at, say...an hour after dawn?

"But tell me, what can I get you for the expedition? Surely a sturdy rope ladder is in order, for climbing into the chasm where the Citadel is. I'm certain I have one back here somewhere..."

Kerowyn starts shuffling things around in a back corner of the sizable store, clearly in more optimistic spirits.

Ella
2010-08-12, 11:23 PM
Cerise frowns at the merchants predicament, being put in the position where she had no choice but to ask others to risk their lives, for those of her children. Her determination not to send them to their deaths needlessly impressed her.

"I will do everything in my power to bring your children back, alive and well." she murmers softly, as much a promise to herself as to Kerowyn. "That is something, solid, and far more important than anything else I could do with my time in the world."

"As for what would be useful to take with us, the most important thing would be, from my perspective healing potions, we have no knowledge of what state they are in, and getting them out in one piece would be a lot simpler if we had a reliable way to restore them to health once we locate them."

UserClone
2010-08-13, 12:52 AM
"...Healing potions? I...we don't really have anything like that. I do have this, though. Just take it. I'm spending all the profits from the apples to get my kids back, anyway. You may as well take this last one. It can be cut into quarters, I'm told, and retain full potency. It will cure any disease, neutralize any poison (while reversing its damaging effects), or close any wound. That's how I've been able to keep this place, hell, this town alive with the sale of them. I'm sure you can appreciate how few people come through this town...other than to reach Hammerdale for trade, of course."

Kerowyn hands the apple to Talo.

rollelectric
2010-08-13, 11:09 AM
"These are those apples?" Talo's eyes widen as she hands the fruit to him. He understood the curiosity that drove her children to discover the source of this healing fruit. How can such a thing exist and be grown by goblins? Clearly, the force behind such powerful magic seems to be a sinister one. With the missing group of adventurers, the inability of the villagers to grow their own crops, the deep chasm they would have to descend into... What Talo could not understand is how something so wonderful can be made to have anything but a positive effect.

He shook his head, realizing he would just keep going in circles with these thoughts. "Thank you, this will be very useful indeed." He examined the fruit closely and weighed it in his hands. He thought of all the people this one apple could help and smiled slightly. "One of our companions will be ever so grateful to see this. You have been far too kind Mrs. Hucrele."

UserClone
2010-08-13, 11:40 AM
"Kind? No. I think desperate is more the word. I want my son and daughter back. I intend to help you get them back with everything in my power. What price is not worth that?

"All I ask is that no one sees you with that apple. It's not technically mine to give; it belongs to Oakhurst..."

rollelectric
2010-08-13, 12:23 PM
"Consider it done, ma'am." Talo makes a short bow. He carefully opens his pack and places the apple inside it securely. Looking around at the others, he wonders if they were seeking after the fruit as well. They could discuss these matters in private he decided.

Ella
2010-08-14, 08:54 AM
"I thank you Kerowyn, and only have on final question before I rest for the night, before setting off. Can you tell me anything of your daughters abilities, what would she be capable of doing?" Cerise asks, wondering how she would measure up, how likely her success would be against goblins if a mage in training had failed.

UserClone
2010-08-14, 09:11 AM
"Sharwyn? Well, I know she had mastered all the minor magics...those 'what-do-you-call-thems', and several more powerful incantations besides. I saw her make a few words and gestures once, and three teenage boys that were harassing a girl all fell asleep instantly."

UserClone
2010-08-18, 10:11 PM
When you are awoken at the appropriate time, those of you not already there move to the common room of the Ol' Boar Inn, where breakfast awaits. A steaming pile of porridge, some bread, a bit of meat and cheese and two eggs each are laid out on the table for you. In between bites, you discuss the day's plans ((feel free to "flashback" this; ask lostsole31 if you need guidance on "flashback")).

As you set off down the old road, something seems ominous, and it's more than just the weather (dark, thick clouds have moved in and while it's still quite humid, and you suspect that when it does rain, the current heat wave will go with it).

It's birds.
Or a lack of them, to be more precise. Ah well, they're probably just hiding from the imminent rain...

Your hostess informed you that the ravine in which the Citadel can be found cuts straight across the old road, about a quarter-day's walk from here "...though if elves are as slow as Dwarves, it'll take closer to a half-day, but then what do I know of demi-humans? They all look the same to me..."

Two hours into the trip, the first drops can be felt, and, sure enough, the sky opens up in a torrential downpour. It then rains in heavy fits and starts for the other four hours or so, and it's about an hour past noon when you reach what must surely be the place.

The Old Road passes to the East of a narrow ravine. At the road's closest approach to the cleft, several broken pillars jut from the earth where the ravine widens and opens into something more akin to a deep, but narrow, canyon. Two of the pillars stand straight, but most of them lean against the sloped earth. Others are broken, and several have apparently fallen into the darkness-shrouded depths. A few similar pillars are visible on the opposite side of the ravine.

Ella
2010-08-20, 01:10 PM
Cerise clears her throat loudly, hoping to get the others attention but preferring not to speak up, not when all she wanted was a moments rest. It would be weakness to demand it, but not so weak if someone else suggested it.

"Do you think the birds are scared away from the sunless citadel, or that the goblins catch any that get too close?" She asks half to herself, the first would indicate great power but the second would show great numbers if they had to harvest the skies as well as the land.

rollelectric
2010-08-20, 07:01 PM
"These parts seem like there are worse things than gobins. The birds may have felt it as well." This weather caused Talo discomfort. The name of their destination was certainly an accurate one. Pelor has not shone here for a long while. Talo utters a short prayer to Pelor, as he does so the rain begins.

At the ravine Talo shields his eyes from the rain and frowns. Looking for some sign of a path into the canyon. He stands the ledge of the cliff to get a better glimpse.

Ella
2010-08-20, 07:05 PM
"I don't suppose you know any cheery tunes to sing while travelling?" Cerise asks gently as she peers around paying particular attention to the pillars.

"Ther pillars look quite ancient" she murmers moving nearer the closest one, running her hand along it, looking for any symbols or marks from its time of use.

lostsole31
2010-08-21, 12:34 AM
[OOC: I am too tired from my car ride today (drove from Atlanta GA to Mt. Vernon IL) to really go into the weeds re-reading posts. And last night, Mr. Scolding DM Pants, some guy had me on the phone for hours talking about what his Cat-Man-Do. I think he goes by the name of UserClone on Giants here somehwere...]

To Kerowyn: "Mayhaps we can have some torches for our journey to a place named 'Sunless'? I think six should do to start."

I don't know when it would be appropriate to do so (as we seem to currently occupy three places at once), but Huihaldrimme would say, "I know that I came here with my reasons to try to get an apple - to save my mother. But I cannot do so with a clear conscious if in doing so I ignore the needs of a mother missing her two children. Let us venture near to this accursed place, that we may see the threat such vile little creatures may have in store."

To Talo: "I feel it, too, Pelorite. It is like humidity, and you taste and feel it in your lungs. But it is cold and greasy and cloying. We are nearing a fell place, not a place where birds are felled."

To Ella: "Perhaps I know an elven tune or two?"
* Perform [Sing]: [roll0]. She's not trained, but her voice has a naturally lyric quality to it (as befits elves), though her elven language might either be seen as either beautiful, or too complicated ... the latter of which might drive down her singing.

EDIT: A routine performance. It's like doing well at karaoke, even if you aren't a professional that could earn a living doing this.

rollelectric
2010-08-21, 01:41 AM
I don't know when it would be appropriate to do so (as we seem to currently occupy three places at once), but Huihaldrimme would say, "I know that I came here with my reasons to try to get an apple - to save my mother. But I cannot do so with a clear conscious if in doing so I ignore the needs of a mother missing her two children. Let us venture near to this accursed place, that we may see the threat such vile little creatures may have in store.

"Yes, I felt the same way. Despite coming here with a goal in mind, these people require assistance and I cannot deny them it. How the goblins came to obtain such wonderful gifts worries me."

To Ella: "Perhaps I know an elven tune or two?"

At least she has gotten nicer. The grim weather and prospects of entering such a ravine seem less daunting to Talo as he and his companions journey closer to the ravine. The Elven song lifts his spirits for many reasons.

UserClone
2010-08-24, 12:56 PM
((It's high time I (re-)updated this bad boy.))

Talo: As you approach nearer the chasm, you notice a sturdy knotted rope tied to one of the leaning pillars, its trailing edge disappearing into the darkness beneath. Judging by its good condition, you'd guess it hasn't been tied here longer than two or three weeks.

Cerise: Looking at the pillar, you immediately notice what looks like some sort of crudely drawn letters in a blocky, runic script. Painted like a notice, its thick red paint appears to be running slightly with the rainwater in places, where as elsewhere, it withstands the downpour. Looking around more, you notice that all of these pillars are similarly marked.

Huihaldrimme: With your superior ability to see in such conditions, you ascertain that there's a small landing at the bottom of the rope, with stairs leading down from the landing coming off of one side of it. Rubble is piled up against the wall of the fissure.

Rinas says, "Here, let me have a look at this rope..."

After about ten or twenty seconds of prodding and pulling on the rope, he seems to decide that it's safe.

Which is to say he immediately begins swiftly descending the knotted rope.
With a shrug, Darius follows.

Ella
2010-08-25, 01:11 AM
Cerise nods in agreement and follows Huihaldrimme with a smile, the rope had concerned her enough that she had considered making an indepth study of the columns, a bad habit of hers really, procrastinating when something must be done that lies outside her talents.

"I am grateful friend elf" Cerise attempts politeness in the form she had seen amongst the elder residents of her hometown. "This would appear to be the wisest course of action, it will all be for nought if one of us falls and we have to head back for healing before we even rescue those poor children."

lostsole31
2010-08-25, 01:13 PM
Seeing as the last post is pointless, this means that Cerise's reply is also pointless. And with climbing down a rope, her mood is no better and thus there is no conspiratorial girls-nod as before. Strike it entirely. :smallsigh:

Huilhaldrimme takes off her chain mail and shield and lowers it with her backpack to the landing, so she is unencumbered and suffers no ACP. She then climbs down.

rollelectric
2010-08-25, 01:21 PM
Having hoped to find some easier way to descend into the chasm, Talo is disappointed when he has to remove his armor. The armor is tedious to remove and he feels exposed without it. Descending with just some rope fully armored would be quite dangerous as well. So, like Huilhadrimme, he drops his armor and backpack down slowly before himself descending down the rope.

The others were a bit hasty in their decision to descend into what seems to be a bottomless ravine in the earth. Talo himself was not eager to do so. He resolved that morning that this was his mission. Regardless of his reluctance he grabs the rope and allows himself to climb down.

Ella
2010-08-25, 01:24 PM
Cerise blinks, staring down the cliff face in an attempt to discern their eventual destination. With a sigh she follows the others down the rope, glad at least that she had no armour to remove.

UserClone
2010-08-26, 11:30 AM
As Lady H's armor hits the deck, so to speak, she sees three huge rats the size of dogs leap out of the rubble against the wall to bite Rinas and Darius. Everyone roll initiative (in the OoC). Assuming that she is using rope of her own, the knotted rope is free. Lady H, unarmored, is at the top of the knotted rope, right next to it, holding her own rope. Talo has started removing his armor. As he is only one round into this process, it will take him 9 rounds to finish removing it, or two rounds to put it back on (one round if he has help from someone who does nothing but help him put his armor back on.) Cerise is peering down into the darkness below, as Huihaldrimme is looking down as well to make sure her armor hits the mark, and they hear the loud, shrieking squeaks of the rats.

Huihaldrimme: Both Rinas and Darius are bitten once each, though Darius is hurt much worse. Luckily, he reflexively kicks aside the bite of the third rat, whose attack is thus deflected.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs206.ash2/46937_433277638937_719443937_4934893_5994658_n.jpg
Ignore the big arrow, and the right side of this area is against the chasm wall.

UserClone
2010-08-30, 12:15 AM
R1T18: Lady H., realizing that she is the only one who can see what is going on down there from up top, draws her shortbow, shouting, "Giant rats are attacking them! We need to get down there NOW!" She fires an arrow down into the gloom, but there is no corresponding squeal of pain. Hopefully, she felled one so swiftly, it hadn't time to cry out...

R1T14: Talo, you're up!

rollelectric
2010-08-30, 10:14 AM
Worried, Talo tries to think what would be best. He decides that putting the armor back on is going to take too long. "I'm going down like this." With Rinas and Darius in danger, he reaches out for the rope and attempts to climb down half-armored.

Talo cannot see much of what was happening and that made him anxious to descend to help his new companions the best he could.

UserClone
2010-08-30, 02:11 PM
R1T14: Talo manages to climb down 20 of the 50 feet that the rope goes down (according to Lady H.), and his armor class is reduced by 1, with his armor check penalty increased by 1 (as "hastily donned" armor) to reflect his "not quite worn correctly" armor status.

You all hear sounds of shuffling and scraping, and the horrible squeals of the rats.

R1T9: Cerise, it's all you!

((by the way, any reason you chose a spell that makes targets shaken when you already chose a spell that makes targets shaken on a failed save?))

Ella
2010-08-30, 09:37 PM
Cerise leans forwards and grabs the rope tight between her hands, while unable to see down to the bottom she heard the call of giant rats. "Little good I can do from up here" she mutters to herself, and starts to lower herself down the rope, continuously looking down, hoping to catch a glimpse of the alleged giant rats before reaching the bottom.

UserClone
2010-09-01, 01:57 PM
Cerise makes it only 15 feet down, but keeps a solid grip on the rope.She can see Talo directly beneath her, and she can still make out Huihaldrimme, bow drawn, looking down over the lip of the opening.

R1T8: Darius, your go.

UserClone
2010-09-04, 09:42 PM
Huihaldrimme, you see Darius make a couple more ineffectual swings, but the large rats are surprisingly agile. No one has hit one yet. Rinas took a (missed) swipe at the one nearest him, then five-foot stepped away from the rat (and the wall). Darius swung at the other two with the ends of his quarterstaff, but missed both times. He too, is stepping towards the edge of the platform. With all their focus on the battle at hand, they may not have even noticed how close they are to stepping off into thin air. What do you do?

lostsole31
2010-09-05, 01:50 AM
Huihaldrimme calls down, "Watch your footing, short-spanners! You are getting close to the edge!"

Huihaldrimme thinks of shooting again, but realizes that the small and agile rats, the distance, and the proximity of her new allies will likely simply cause her to miss. She puts her bow up and rappels down a distance of 15 feet. Move action to put bow away.

Move action to climb down. She is using 'accelerated climbing' (-5 penalty). The DC is 5, since the rope is not knotted. Climb = [roll0]

UserClone
2010-09-05, 02:11 AM
Lady H. Begins her descent down the other rope. Turn well spent.

Talo, you're up! (By which I mean 30 feet up from the small platform). :smallwink:

rollelectric
2010-09-06, 10:39 AM
Talo does his best to keep his focus as he struggles down the rope. He is eager to get down and help his companions. The sounds compel him to make haste, and he continues to descend down the rope. Looking up and seeing others descend the rope, he also worries they will overcome him.

UserClone
2010-09-06, 12:09 PM
((Alright, have it your way. I'll roll.))

Talo makes it another 20 feet down the knotted rope.

A clang of metal on stone, then a loud squeal from one of the rats is cut short.

There is then a cry of pain, which sounds like Darius.

Cerise also climbs 20 feet, and can, along with Talo, now see as far as Huihaldrimme. One of the rats is clearly dead, a bolt sticking out of its neck, and Darius has a nasty bleeding wound on his left calf, and is flanked by the remaining two rats.

UserClone
2010-09-06, 12:17 PM
Darius then crushes the skull of the rat which bit him. It lies still.

Lady H, you're up!

lostsole31
2010-09-06, 01:57 PM
"Darius!" Huilhaldrimme calls as she continue rappelling. "Keep an eye to defense since you're wounded, we're almost there!"Full-round action to rappel/ climb to the bottom.

Climb [roll0]With verve and flair (surprising even herself), she lands at the bottom to face the rat. "Squeak at me!" she cries.

UserClone
2010-09-06, 04:48 PM
Lady H. Stands within melee reach of the rat, but with no weapons to hand.

Talo also makes it down to the bottom this round, but has no actions remaining when he gets there, and so simply shifts five feet towards the rat, which is now flanked by himself and Lady H. (or at least it would be if they had weapons drawn, which they do not yet).

Rinas draws another bolt and slips on some loose rocks. He regains hid footing quickly, but his shot goes wild.

The remaining rat, smelling blood, goes crazy and in the ensuing frenzy manages to drag its teeth across the flesh of Darius again in the same open wound.

Cerise, you made it to the bottom of the rope and have a standard action and a five-foot step available to you. What do you do?

UserClone
2010-09-08, 12:51 PM
Cerise casts light on the sickle dangling from her belt.

Darius feints with the end of his quarterstaff, distracting the rat, then stamps his foot down on its head, creating a rat head pancake on the stone floor.

UserClone
2010-09-08, 01:10 PM
What do you all do now? You can see your surroundings clearly. The stairwell down is the only way off this tiny island of rock.

lostsole31
2010-09-08, 04:04 PM
"Cerise?" asks Huilhaldrimme. "Can you please come over here in private and help me with my armor?"

Even though it is doubtful that she will expose herself in any comprimising manner, it is obvious that Huihaldrimme possesses a strong sense of bodily modesty - perhaps moreso than is necessary. Of course, that may very well be an elven trait.Because only juvenile, sex-crazed dip****s play elves with ridiculously disproportionate boobs that all act like sluts, often subconsciously making their respect for women in general known through their obnoxious play. I am now off my soap box, and it is an issue this game won't have .... but it still annoys me every time I see it.

UserClone
2010-09-09, 12:27 AM
What, (http://www.goblinscomic.com/08192005/) like this? (http://www.goblinscomic.com/08202005/) :smallwink:

lostsole31
2010-09-09, 01:55 AM
I looked at where the link would send me, and I don't even have to go there. I know exactly what Goblins had concerning that very same subject. What an awesome comic.

UserClone
2010-09-12, 01:52 AM
Alright, I'll just assume time marches on, then.

Huihaldrimme and Talo get their armor back on correctly. Darius still has a nasty bite wound on his leg. Talo, you'd guess him to be at 2/3 of his full fighting trim as far as his health, but in doing your heal check, you suspect the wound may be septic.

Searching the area, you find Human-sized footprints leading down the stairs, as well as lots of large rat footprints (of course). A ring of stones near the one wall contains, and is covered by, the ashes of hundreds of fires, though it's obvious no fire has been lit here for months at least. Sifting through the ashes a bit reveals several small, crude spearheads made of stone.

rollelectric
2010-09-12, 12:11 PM
Talo looks over at the wounded Darius. However, Darius has not been very talkative. He decides to ask him if he needs help.

""Darius. Would you like me to attend to your wounds?" He didn't want to go on if Darius was seriously wounded.

UserClone
2010-09-12, 05:01 PM
I'm...I think i'll be ok, I guess...I'll take whatever magical aid you could provide."

rollelectric
2010-09-12, 05:35 PM
"Absolutely! I'd be happy to help." Glad to help, Talo says a quick prayer and looks over the wounds that has Darius suffered. The wound looks fiercely infected. However, Talo has long learned how to keep an impassive face when examining injuries. He lets out a sigh. ""Those rats must have been extremely dirty, but let me see if I can clean this up for you."

After healing Darius, he wipes his brow and looks around at their surroundings.

"Let's be more careful from here on." Feeling more secure in his armor, Talo felt safer but the grim weather did not let his spirits lift too quickly.

Talo casts Cure Minor Wounds. I don't think I have to roll, right? Also, where would one list the spells he prepared for the day? I was thinking of Detect Poison, but I never listed prepared spells :o. This is a bit new to me, sorry!

UserClone
2010-09-12, 05:49 PM
Darius heals one hp.

((Just below the skill list, checkmark the box that says 'display spells and powers.' Ask lostsole31 if you need any help on how to use this section, though it's largely self-explanatory. Remember not to bother preparing any cure spells, since you can spontaneously cast those.))

UserClone
2010-09-15, 05:11 AM
ALCON:Right, I'm not even sure why I held this game up to make those rolls, since the disease takes at least a day to take hold, so you won't know anything for a few days. Sorry about that.

Talo has Huilhaldrimme bring him some ashes from the firepit for making a poultice, but she trips and spills them over the edge of the ledge on which you all stand (except for Darius, who sits so that Talo can have a good look at his leg). Embarassed, she steps back as Talo gets the ash himself, mixing it with a bit of water to make a poultice for the wound. Ripping a strip of cloth from his tunic, the cleric makes a bandage, and Darius thanks him for his efforts.

Anything else, or would someone care to go down the stairs before a giant finger comes down from the sky to push you down them?:smallwink:

rollelectric
2010-09-15, 10:51 AM
Talo goes down the stairs.

Knowing that they must move on, and eager to get out of the rain Talo is ready to move further down. "Shall we descend further into the unknown?" Staying close to Darius, Talo moves towards the stairs and peers down.

He waits for the rest before heading down. He does not want a repeat of the incident with the rats, so he hopes they can all stay together.

lostsole31
2010-09-15, 06:32 PM
Huilhaldrimme says, "Well, I'm no warrior, but at least I have good armor. I'll take the lead ... unless someone stealthier than me in a metal skirt wants to do that instead."

UserClone
2010-09-16, 03:46 PM
Rinas gestures down the stairs, looking to Huilhaldrimme.
"It's your show, hero," he grins jovially.

Darius shrugs with a smile and shuffles after her. Rinas doesn't wait for Cerise, following closely on the heels of Darius.

On the way down the stairs, which are really only wide enough to accommodate one good-size man's stride at a time, Darius thanks Talo for his help (it seems like he wants to thank H. As well, but avoids her gaze instead for fear of embarrasing her).

There are two more smaller landings on the way down and at each, the stairs switch direction. At the bottom, they empty into a small courtyard, apparently the top of what was once a crenellated battlement. The buried citadel has sunk so far into the earth that the battlement is now level with the surrounding cavern floor. The floor stretches away to the north and south, and it is apparently composed of a layer of treacherous, crumbled masonry, which reaches to an unknown depth. To the west looms the surviving structure of what can only be the Sunless Citadel. A tower stands on the west side of the courtyard, a sturdy but ancient wooden door on the side facing you.

You all, elf included, are struck by how utter is the blackness beyond the 20 feet or so that you can make out in this gloom. Someone will need to strike a light for you to get much further in.

lostsole31
2010-09-16, 07:06 PM
Huihaldrimme has her sword in hand and shield readied. "Darius, have you a light? Your probably the best man for that job."

rollelectric
2010-09-16, 07:34 PM
Talo was shifting uncomfortably in the darkness. He unsheathes his morningstar and bears his shield. Everything about this place was making him uncomfortable, he looks around quickly. "This cannot be a natural darkness, can it?"

lostsole31
2010-09-16, 07:40 PM
"Steel your mind, Talo," coaxes Lady H. "This darkness likely never paid tribute to a servant of the Sun God as yourself. And if it be the will of the gods, it will suffer greatly for that insult."

UserClone
2010-09-17, 01:14 PM
Darius lights a torch, and the (natural, by the way - you're a total of 130' underground and the sky is extremely overcast and raining) gloom is pushed back by the flickering flame.

Approaching the ancient keep, Darius is surprised by a trapdoor strategically placed in the floor a foot or so in front of the door. He falls in, taking a lot of damage to his other leg, which is now torn open far worse than the bitten one as it scrapes along jagged rock and rubble at the bottom of the 10-foot pit beneath. His light mostly disappears with him, now streaming upward out of the hole. A faint, repetetive clicking sound is heard from the area of the trapdoor...

rollelectric
2010-09-17, 08:09 PM
"DARIUS!" Talo bellows as he watches him fall through the trap door. Extremely worried, Talo slowly approaches the pit that Darius fell into and takes a glimpse down. "Should we go down after him? Rinas do you know anything of this sort of trap?"

UserClone
2010-09-18, 11:34 AM
Rinas quickly picks his way across the various bits of rubble and scree to the edge of the whole, and makes a sudden realization...

"That's a spring windin! He's gonna get trapped down there when it resets!"

lostsole31
2010-09-18, 01:22 PM
Huilhaldrimme doesn't even take time to think about the consequences of losing her protection. She drops her sword on the ground, steps over to the trap, takes a quick look at the trap door's direction, and jams her shield into a crevasse as an obstacle as best as she can. "Get some rope down there, NOW! I have some on my pack if you need it. Get him outta there, I don't know how long I can hold at this awkward angle!"

UserClone
2010-09-18, 01:46 PM
Rinas rifles quickly through his backpack and pulls out a number of items all over the floor, including his rope.
"Here, hold on to this!"

He tosses her the end of the rope and, grabbing the other end, and jumps down into the hole, tumbling to avoid taking the shock to his legs the way Darius has.

lostsole31
2010-09-18, 01:51 PM
I am imagining Lady H. having to hold the shield in position to jam the trap door, or else it falls down. If it looks like the shield is held by tension, she'll take the rope. Otherwise, "Cerise! Get over here and help me!"

UserClone
2010-09-18, 02:00 PM
With no way of catching the rope, it slips down into the ten-foot deep trench. Rinas is checking out Darius and starting to loop the rope around his waist, when H. spots another dire rat, this one in the bottom of the pit, about to bite Rinas!

lostsole31
2010-09-18, 07:25 PM
Does the trap door mechanism look like it will hold the shield under tension?

UserClone
2010-09-18, 07:48 PM
You can't tell. It might, or it might not. In fact, you're not even sure the edge of your shield will stop the stone trapdoor from coming back up when the mechanism resets.

lostsole31
2010-09-18, 11:47 PM
Tangled Web is down, but my intention is to drop the shield on the side (not down the trap), take out my bow, and fire at a dire rat. I don't know my bonuses for sure, or even what type of bow I have ...
Attack [roll0], forgot to subtract 4 for firing into melee (making a 1). FML.
Damage [roll1]

I guess with a roll like that, it doesn't matter if I have a howitzer or a pea-shooter.

rollelectric
2010-09-21, 12:04 PM
Not sure what to do, but seeing Lady H drop her shield and take out her bow, Talo can only imagine what danger there was down there. "What is it more rats?" He arms himself with his crossbow, and loads it pointing it down into the darkness ready to fire.

((I cannot see any rats, am I right?))

lostsole31
2010-09-21, 12:22 PM
"Yes," says Huihaldrimme, though she only half answers Talos as she is focused on the battle below.

UserClone
2010-09-21, 12:47 PM
Yes, Talo, you can see the rat in the torchlight.

rollelectric
2010-09-22, 10:45 PM
Then, Talo squints and says, "Oh! I see it." He relaxes his muscles and prays silently as he takes aim at the rat with his crossbow. He releases his breath and fires the bolt at the rat guiding it with his mind and eyes.

So what do I use for attack rolls? STR right?
[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: -_-

UserClone
2010-09-22, 11:18 PM
((Actually, attack rolls for ranged weapons are based off Dex, but a 1 misses every time.))

Darius moans in pain, but tries his best to help Rinas tie the rope round his waist, when the rat bites at Rinas again, luckily only getting a mouthful of his tough leather armor...this time.

Rinas manages to get the knot tied and shouts, "Quick, pull him up!" not realizing that the other end of the rope has slid into the pit.

Cerise appears to cast a spell on the overlarge rat as she arrives at the edge of the hole, but there's no telling what it was meant to accomplish, because it doesn't seem to have worked, judging by her cursing afterwards.

lostsole31
2010-09-23, 10:24 AM
"Talo! I'll give cover fire, but take the rope out of my pack and send one end down!" orders Huihaldrimme.

She takes aim again with her bow, and fires.Attack = [roll0] (for firing into melee)
Damage = [roll1]

rollelectric
2010-09-24, 05:28 PM
Hearing the instructions from Lady H, Talo does as he is instructed. He drops the rope quickly down holding tight onto the other end and waits for the others to grab it and climb up. He prepares to pull it with all his strength.

lostsole31
2010-09-25, 01:59 AM
The next chance she gets, Huihaldrimme tosses her bow to the side and aids pulling folks up, preferably finding something to anchor the rope to.

UserClone
2010-09-25, 07:36 AM
Rinas quickly ties this new rope around the waist of Darius, shouting "Pull him up, pull him up!" and then goes to begin searching for the other end of the first rope tied to the monk.

The rat, meanwhile, continues ineffectively gnawing at the leather armor on Rinas's leg. Darius stands up painfully, moving towards the near wall of the pit to help Talo pull him up and out.

Huihaldrimme, you can't find anything solid. It's all unstable rubble.

The clicking ominously gets both louder and faster.

Cerise screams "WHAT DO I DO, WHAT DO I DO??" and she simply casts a light spell on her sickle, brightening up the area and making it easier for everyone to see.

lostsole31
2010-09-25, 03:30 PM
Huihaldrimmed helps pull him up.

UserClone
2010-09-26, 09:45 PM
The two of you manage to pull Darius, with the help of Rinas pushing from below, up and out of the pit. His leg is pretty badly torn up at this point, and it looks from a cursory glance like he will make it, but it'll make a nasty scar.

Rinas, however, is in a much worse position. The rat is still hanging onto his leg, gnawing at the armor, and looks like its ugly, sharp teeth are going to hit flesh any second now. The rogue himself, meanwhile, pulls on the other end of the rope attached to Darius's waist, the first one that Huilhaldrimme had thrown him.

"****! Pull me UP!" he yells, and the ominous clicking reaches a fever pitch, as though it could snap the door shut any second...

lostsole31
2010-09-26, 11:20 PM
H. throws rope down, ready to heave upwards again. "Get his leg later, Talos, but let's get Rinas to safety NOW!"

rollelectric
2010-09-27, 12:06 AM
Talo almost shoves Darius out of the way and grabs the rope and pulls with all his might. He shouts at Cerise, ""HELP!" The clicking has fueled his feeling of desperation as he pulls the rope with all his might.

UserClone
2010-09-27, 09:48 AM
As Rinas grabs the rope, he screams as the rat's teeth finally connect with flesh, drawing blood from a nasty gash, and the horrible creature stays clamped onto his calf as the three of you start pulling him to safety.

Just when he's almost there, the stone trapdoor SLAMS shut! You only barely manage to get his legs clear as the trapdoor crushes the unfortunate rodent, who is now very clearly dead.

Rinas is speechless, but looks very, very grateful.

Darius, from his sitting position on the ground, shrugs.

"Wish I'd remembered the torch...ah, here we are."

He rummages through his bag for a moment, and produces another torch, lighting it.

"Well, we know not to step there, anyway.
...What?"

lostsole31
2010-09-27, 11:33 AM
Huihaldrimme immediately begins to 'prep' the patient for Herr Doktor Talos' evil experi- Talos' healing attentions, including wound cleansing to stop diseases.

Huihaldrimme's Heal check to assist Talos: [roll0]

EDIT: Right on. Anything more than 10 is simply extra credit, but no effect. :smallsmile:

rollelectric
2010-09-28, 10:46 AM
Talo exhausted at this point looks over at Darius and then back to Rinas. Clearly the rats in this area were carrying some type of infection. Relieved that they were both out of mortal danger, Talo wanted to make sure it remained that way.

"We are not very good at this, huh?" Surveying the damage.

If I can cast Cure Light Wounds more than once I want to do it on Darius, as well as Rinas. But, if not then just Darius.

Heal Check [roll0]

lostsole31
2010-10-02, 05:00 PM
"I don't know," Huihaldrimme manages to encourage while maintaing her stern demeanor. "His steps alerted us to a trap, they're going down the whole warned us of the rat, our rescue encouraged us in our teamwork, and your spells heal us afterwards. Sounds to me that we're not only learning to work together - even if through mistake or accident - but by our excellent mix of abilities."

UserClone
2010-10-03, 05:04 AM
"Yes well, let's not forget we still have the apple if things get dire. Maybe we should cut it into fourths now, so four of us can carry a piece in case of emergency...or will the fruit start to turn faster than if we leave it whole? I mean it is magic, after all..."

The witch almost seems timid in her suggestion.

"Let's get on with this, shall we?" says Darius with optimistic cheer as he lights his other torch.

Placing it in Rinas's beckoning hand, the still somewhat injured monk let's the man a bit more learned in the field of traps take the lead.

((AFB, I'll post again when I'm home from drill. ))

lostsole31
2010-10-03, 02:08 PM
Huihaldrimme will swap out with Darius - Darius is to hang back and protect Cerise and Talo. She will still give Rinas as much room as desired for scouting and searching. While the terrain is still open-ish, she will have bow out and arrow knocked. Once things start to close in more, she'll put away her bow and ready sword and shield.

UserClone
2010-10-05, 05:29 PM
Rinas carefully approaches the wooden door, inspecting it closely. Turning his head to face the Elven maiden, he says,

"Looks safe. You go ahead."

lostsole31
2010-10-05, 07:41 PM
Sword and shield at ready, she says, "Open the door for me, and I'll push through first."

UserClone
2010-10-07, 12:16 PM
Rinas pushes open the door and Huilhaldrimme rushes in with sword and shield readied. She can make out the following by low-light vision, with the torchlight from Rinas's torch in the doorway spilling forth into the room ahead:

This circular area is cobbled with cracked granite, upon which sprawl four goblins, all apparently slain in combat. One stands with his back against the western wall, the killing spear still skewering it and holding it upright. Three wooden doors lead off from this area. Above, a hollow tower of loose masonry reaches 30 feet, but the intervening floors and stairs are gone, except for a couple of crumbled ledges.

lostsole31
2010-10-07, 01:07 PM
Huihaldrimme moves in to secure the room. Once we are satisfied the room is set, she takes a look at the battle. What size of spear/ wounds? Aiding Talos, how did the goblins 'die in battle' ... what type of weapons? Given a brief look at the bodies, does anyone in the party have the knowledge to figure out who it was that beat the goblins? We'll have to deal with them later, no doubt.

UserClone
2010-10-07, 08:52 PM
The goblins were all killed by stab wounds (you're reasonably sure, though they're at least about a month dead and rats have gnawed on them). The spear appears to be sized for a Small creature, and not to belong to one of these goblins, as they are all equipped with short swords, and no usable armor, though the swords are useable if cleaned up.

Correction to my earlier description: one of the three wooden doors leading off this area is the one by which you entered, on the easternmost section of wall. The other two are on the northwest and southwest "corners" of this cylindrical stone chamber.

As Huilhaldrimme passes by the southernmost wall, however, her innate elven ability to ferret out secrets shows her keen eyes a seam in the stone that looks like a door, and she can see a small stone that pops out farther than the rest of the wall.

rollelectric
2010-10-07, 09:57 PM
"Who could have killed the goblins? I figured this were their domain..." Talo inspects the bodies and shakes his head. He looks around the room and wondering its purpose. Looking up the tower and crumbled floors he sighs and speaks. "I was hoping to have spoken with some goblins. They would at least provide us with some direction."

Frowning at the decay of the bodies, he feels lost in this dungeon so far from the sun.

lostsole31
2010-10-07, 11:15 PM
Huihaldrimme says, "What's this?" She goes to this small stone and starts to monkey with it ... I won't describe how, because it is curious play (or, ignorant meddling, your choice) rather than attendant searching or any special list of actions.

UserClone
2010-10-07, 11:23 PM
Huihaldrimme says, "What's this?" She goes to this small stone and starts to monkey with it ... I won't describe how, because it is curious play (or, ignorant meddling, your choice) rather than attendant searching or any special list of actions.

As Huilhaldrimme pushes and prods the stone, it sinks in to match the depth of the surrounding stone with an audible :click:, sending a very large needle straight through her hand. The needle immediately retracts, but the puncture wound it leaves behind will serve to remind her of this moment for the rest of her days.

The pocket chamber beyond is damp and cold. The skeletons of three long-dead archers slump against arrow slits along the east and south wall.

lostsole31
2010-10-08, 09:11 AM
She hisses when she gets stung.

"Interesting," she says, looking at the room beyond. "Talo, could you look at my finger, please?"

[OOC: Any 'damage', or was it the pain of a standard needle - which usually doesn't do any damage?]

rollelectric
2010-10-09, 12:00 PM
Inspecting the puncture wound on Huilhaldrimme's Talo moves his head closer. It looked worst then he expected. He attempts to bandage it and looks for signs of poisoning.

Heal Check [roll0]

UserClone
2010-10-10, 11:55 AM
She is thankfully not posioned. You suspect that time was her only savior, and that the poison meant for her has long since evaporated. You bandage her hand skillfully in only about 15 seconds.

As mentioned before, the room beyond is small, only a pocket of about 10 feet by 10 feet. There appear to be no other exits from it other than the door through which you are peering, and its only features other than the now-skeletal archers, with their rotting leather and ancient, useless-looking crossbows, are the arrow slits they are slumped in front of.

lostsole31
2010-10-10, 12:01 PM
Huihaldrimme has sword and shield ready and says, "Northwest?"

She'll ask Rinas or someone with keen hearing to listen at the door. Someone will open the door for her and she'll step through just enough to hold the breach and check the space ... not just go barreling in.

UserClone
2010-10-10, 12:46 PM
As she moves to turn from the door, Huilhaldrimme has a sudden sense of dread. Her innate ability to detect evil shows her the truth of the skeletons - that they are undead, with malevolent fire just beginning to kindle in their eyes. One of them begins to move.

lostsole31
2010-10-10, 12:51 PM
Huihaldrimme covers her dread with rash action. She charges the first one (if she can't charge, that's just as well since it won't hurt her AC then).Attack = [roll0], subtract 2 if no charge.
Damage = [roll1]
AC = 17 (15 if charge allowed)

rollelectric
2010-10-10, 01:02 PM
Huihaldrimme's sudden movements startle Talo into action. He pulls out his morningstar and lifts his shield to his chest. Realizing that the skeletons were actually a threat he moves towards the first one as it rises (assuming they are getting up) and smashes his moringstar hard into its body.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

AC is 15. :D

UserClone
2010-10-12, 08:42 AM
R1T26
Rinas pulls a bottle out of his bag and begins stuffing a ripped piece of his shirt into it. "Let's see if this works..."

R1T21
Huihaldrimme's charge is is straight and her strike is true, but her sword just slashes through the tangle of bones that make up the abomination's ribcage, to no effect whatsoever. You definitely realize you'll need to bash it with something, because it hasn't got any flesh to cut.

R1T15

The skeleton rises fully to its feet (provoking an AoO from Huihaldrimme) and lashes out with a claw, missing with its swipe.

The other two also stand up next to her, one of them taking another swipe at her, and missing, and one of them moving past her towards the door, where it attacks Rinas, who sustains a significant gash in his forearm, which he put up at the last moment.

R1T5It is at this point that Talo has his action.

lostsole31
2010-10-12, 10:50 AM
Huihaldrimme, realizing what is needed to hurt these things, smashes her shield against the rising skeleton, but the bony creature is too quick for her, and she is not used to fighting with a shield.AOO (shield bash): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
AC is now 15, 11 t, 14 f

UserClone
2010-10-12, 08:49 PM
Talo, it is now your turn. I am allowing you to declare a different action, since you declared one before that is no longer possible to execute. You still have your Domain Spell, protection from evil, available to cast, and Rinas is blocking the door, with a skeleton just in front of him.

Huihaldrimme, who has a current modified AC of 12, by my count, 15-1 for no shield bonus=14, -2 for charging, and who still has her smite for the day available is just beyond him, and has two skeletons adjacent to her besides that one, though none of them are creating a flanking situation on her. The others, Darius and Cerise, have yet to take their actions.

Remember also that you have the apple, and can take it out as a move action. As a standard action, if you wish, you can feed it to Rinas, the equivalent of giving him a potion, allowing him to bite a quarter of it off, thus healing him to full. Other options include casting your protection from evil spell on him or using your Turn Undead ability on the skeletons. Pretty much the only thing you can no longer do is close for melee, since the opening to the door is completely blocked.

rollelectric
2010-10-13, 07:18 PM
Talo unsure whether Rinas will be able to deal with the enemy, being armed only with a bottle Talo builds up a sweat as he focuses on his attacker. He says his favorite prayer to Pelor, bringing his wrath onto the skeleton.

Talo casts Turn Undead on Rinas' attacker and stays put.

UserClone
2010-10-14, 11:12 AM
R1T5 Talo holds out his holy symbol and focuses his faith in Pelor's glory, and all three of the skeletons cower in fear. (Remember that if you approach within 10 feet of any skeleton, Talo, the effect will be broken for that skeleton.)

R1T4 Darius says "Move out of the way, Rinas, so I can get in there and destroy them! They're no threat...for now, anyway, so why bother wasting the oil?" and then he delays.

R1T3 Cerise just looks lost and terrified by the whole situation, and just stands there.

R1T26 Rinas moves out of the way.

R1T21 Lady H., it's all you.

lostsole31
2010-10-14, 11:29 AM
R2T21: Huihaldrimme tries to smash the closest skeleton with her shield. If successful, she'll reposition to another clatterer to get ready for next round.Shield Bash attack: [roll0]
AC adjusted on sheet for no use of shield (as protective item), AC 15.

UserClone
2010-10-21, 12:03 PM
R2T21 Huihaldrimme uses her shield again on the skeleton before her, smashing its skull against the wall, and it crumples to the ground, unmoving.

R2T15 The remaining two skeletons continue to cower in fear of the almighty power of
Pelor.

R2T5 Talo, it is your action. ((I apologize for my flurry of inactivity lately, but my lovely lady from the Emerald Isle is visiting, and will be here until 8Jan2011! :smallbiggrin: So you'll see less of me than normal until then, but no worries, I'll be around.))

rollelectric
2010-10-24, 09:59 PM
((No problem))

Talo gives a glance towards the cowering skeletons and turns to his companions. He turns to Rinas and attempts to heal his wounds. He places his arm on his shoulder to encourage him in the battle and send a surge of healing through his body.

Talo casts Cure Minor Wounds on Rinas (he is hurt right?). :D

lostsole31
2010-11-11, 12:36 PM
Please see OOC ...

lostsole31
2010-12-19, 04:29 PM
Jat, realizing that the universe will be halted for one more month, *pokes* his little rapier into the ballooning TSC (time-space continuum) to relieve some of the pressure.

UserClone
2011-01-18, 09:28 PM
R2T4: With a front kick to the ribcage, Darius manages to shatter the spine of one of the two remaining skeletons.

R2T3: The witch, having regained control of her senses, looks on fascinated at this development.

R3T26: Rinas nods in approval at the bone-smashing righteous blows of both paladin and monk alike, and gestures Lady H. with a 'go get'em' expression of engouragement.

R3T21: It's clobberin' time! :smallcool:

lostsole31
2011-01-18, 09:49 PM
[I think I need a recap ...]

Huilhaldrimme moves over to the next skeleton and smashes with her shield. If room affords, she will charge:
Attack: [roll0], add 2 for a charge, if feasible

UserClone
2011-01-18, 10:11 PM
R3T15: The skeleton's face, which was half smashed away by the force of Huilhaldrimme's blow, looks down into its skeletal fingers as it cowers in the corner in fear of Pelor's light.

R3T5: Talo continues to stare down the undead monstrosity and to focus the power of the Shining One through his holy symbol.

R3T4: Darius brings his heel smashing down onto the skeleton's cervical spine, crushing the bones to pieces and undoing the necromantic magic holding it together.

This battle is over.

lostsole31
2011-01-19, 11:45 AM
Huihaldrimme has a mere scratch, but she'll let the others do any healing or searching (neither of which is her forte).

UserClone
2011-01-20, 09:36 PM
At first, the rush of victory is enough to satisfy, but Rinas's curiosity gets the better of him, and he searches all around the room.
"Nothing! This room was just some deathtrap designed to weaken whomever it didn't kill! What a waste of time..."

Darius shows his wisdom in his reply:
"Well now Rinas, I wouldn't necessarily say that. After all, it was naught but luck and keen Elven eyes that found us this small room in the first place? Why not see as I do, that the room itself is the prize? It's small, defensible, only has one door, and is damn hard to find unless you know where to look for it. I could use the rest...what do you think, fearless leader?"

To your surprise, Huilhaldrimme, he seems to be looking sqarely at you for leadership.

"Hm, I could use the time for cleansing my mind and refreshing my magic...

"Yes, but while that's all well and good, mightn't it be better if we were to press on for the sake of Mrs. Hucrele's children?"

They all turn to look at you.

lostsole31
2011-01-21, 01:53 AM
"If you are worried about refreshing your magic, that mean it must be ... low? is that the word?" asks Huihaldrimme. "This is as if to say that I no longer have my sword for the day, or Darius his fists, or Talos his wits. We profit neither the children nor ourselves in our quest to continue if we have not the means to strive. And as you are our holy emissary in this quest, I would not strive against the gods when their servant must needs rest. We camp here. Shut the door, and we shall arrange a watch."

UserClone
2011-01-21, 07:37 AM
It is decided amongst you that Rinas will stand a watch for the first three hours of the night, and Huilhaldrimme the second, then Darius will wake up early and take the last two hours, so the spellcasters can sleep and Darius can still get some rest before Talo heals him in the morning.

lostsole31
2011-01-21, 10:35 AM
I'm sure my 1-hp scratch is good by morning?

UserClone
2011-01-21, 01:36 PM
Yes it is. I will update again tonight. Frustratingly, I have little time for this game during the day and no access to the sheets via phone. I may end up just copying them all out onto paper.

UserClone
2011-01-23, 09:08 PM
The following morning, everyone is healed, Requiring Talo to make one casting of cure light wounds on Rinas. While Talo prays silently to Pelor, Rinas uses a bit of his water for his morning ablutions, and Darius takes to this custom after watching him for a moment. Cerise is standing near the south wall, apparently staring through what was once an arrow slit, now stuffed entirely with rock, dirt and rubble.

Sleeping on the cold stone was extremely uncomfortable, but sharing the blankets of those on watch with those who were sleeping, and just sleeping in such close quarters, helped with the cold somewhat. The stiff backs and necks abound, however.

Returning to the room previous to this in our adventure yields no changes whatsoever (beyond one days' advance in the decay of the goblin corpses). The exits to this miserable shell of what once was a tower are four: the hidden one through the southernmost point of the circle of stone which makes up the wall, leading back into your tiny redoubt, the large wooden door to the east which leads back whence you came, and two others, one to the northwest, and one to the southwest. Both are large and sturdy wooden doors not unlike the one through which you entered this shadowed and unholy place.

lostsole31
2011-01-25, 11:07 PM
Who has the best hearing? Huihaldrimme has a +3 modifier, but the best ears should probably listen at both doors.

UserClone
2011-01-26, 10:49 AM
Darius volunteers. He listens at one door, then the other in turn. Turning back to the group, he shrugs. "I don't hear anything at either of them," he says with a note of apology. "I didn't notice any keyhole for a lock, either..."

lostsole31
2011-01-26, 11:55 AM
Huihaldrimme says, "I trust in your wisdom to choose which path we'll take, Darius."

Darius is to open the door, while Hui takes the breech. Assuming all clear, Rinas will scout 10' in front. This will be followed by Hui, then Talo, and the nimble Darius in the rear.

UserClone
2011-01-26, 12:05 PM
[OOC: Ok, I'll have Darius "flip a coin" in his head, and just go with his instinct.]
[roll0]

"My gut instinct says this is the way," he says, grasping the handle of the door on the right, the one that leads to the northwest. He waits for the nod from you, and once he gets it, opens the door.

Upon stepping through in battle stance, you notice no immediate danger. The hallway here is about seven or eight feet wide, and leads to a terminating wooden door 45' due west. The hall doesn't curve west or anything, it just hits the round room you were in at an angle, rather than radiating straight from the center of the room. 10 or twelve feet from the western terminus of the hallway lies another thick, wooden door on the north wall. Directly across from this on the south wall is a stone-relief carved door, depicting a dragonlike fish swimming in an aquatic setting.

There is no sound coming from any of the doors.

lostsole31
2011-01-27, 03:20 AM
Does anyone in the party know what the depiction of the dragonfish might be?

UserClone
2011-01-27, 10:48 AM
Cerise steps in, saying, "It brings to mind my studies of eastern legend concerning dragons. Their dragons all were born in the same form, that of the Yu Lung, or Carp, Dragon. They would remain in this form, living in rivers, until their transformation into adulthood, when they would become one of several varieties of Lung Dragon. That's my best guess. Either that, or someone's idea of a joke."
She shrugs.

lostsole31
2011-01-27, 11:49 AM
Where she was curious, Huihaldrimme is just confused now and gives a "Whatever" roll of her eyes.

Hui directs Rinas (the 'skillful one', right?) to check the doors. "Goblins are craven creatures that would be the kind to use ignoble traps rather than fight us honorably," she reasons.

UserClone
2011-01-27, 12:27 PM
Rinas just gives her a look, then rolls his eyes as he turns towards the stone door...he determines that it is locked with a very complex mechanism, but not trapped.

The other two doors appear to be unlocked, and untrapped. It's worth noting that there seems to be a bit more of a draft from under the western door than the northern one (a draft would be impossible through the stone door, since it fits precisely into the wall).

lostsole31
2011-01-27, 02:45 PM
"The door is locked for a reason," she surmises, and asks him to try the locked door.

UserClone
2011-01-28, 09:55 AM
Rinas grins, and gets to work. After a minute of sweat coming off his brow, though, he tosses his pick to the ground in frustration.

"...maybe not. Sorry."

He looks crestfallen.

lostsole31
2011-01-28, 10:49 AM
"In time, perhaps," she says. "Let's take the western door, then."

UserClone
2011-01-28, 03:10 PM
Darius takes up position at the door, and upon the signal, yanks it open, allowing you to step into the breach...what are you using for light? A torch?

lostsole31
2011-01-29, 08:33 PM
Huihaldrimme does a break-and-shake on her super-chemlite activates one of her sunrods, and hands it to Darius to hold. Putting something in the monk's hands will do little to stop him from smashing his enemies .... he has more weapons than anyone else.

UserClone
2011-01-31, 10:27 AM
With Darius just behind you holding the light, you can see the far end of the chamber beyond the door. Crudely executed symbols and glyphs' scribed in bright green dye, decorate this large and irregularly-shaped crumbling chamber. A large pit in the chamber's center shows evidence of a recent bonfire. A metallic cage in the center of the southern wall contains a gaping hole and stands empty. A small wooden bench draped with green cloth stands before the cage, and upon it sit several small objects. A bedroll lies near the wooden bench, from which the sound of whimpering is plainly audible. You are standing in the doorway, some 12 feet from the bench.

lostsole31
2011-02-02, 01:28 AM
Huihaldrimme marches over to the bedroll, allowing the scale mail to make its noise easily ... for heavy mail doth make a fine lubricant for timid tongues. She stands off 5' and moves the bedroll cover down with her sword.

UserClone
2011-02-02, 12:23 PM
Still snoring away with a worried wrinkle in its brow is a small, scrawny combination of a lizardman and a halfling. You recognize this as a Kobold, typically evil little humanoids with lizardlike properties that are the blood enemy of Gnomes.

lostsole31
2011-02-02, 12:41 PM
Huihaldrimmed whispers to Darius to grab the thing, and for Rinas to tie it up.

rollelectric
2011-02-02, 03:39 PM
Talo watches the activity around the bedroll from afar, wary of unexpected dangers that may be lurking. Last night was a long sleep. He shakes his head and focuses on his companions as they move quietly around the bedroll.

UserClone
2011-02-02, 04:53 PM
The little ****er cries out loudly for about half a second before Darius gets his hand clamped over its mouth. Its eyes are bugged out in surprise, and it proves remarkably slippery. It very nearly gets away twice during the struggle, but Rinas ties it securely with the rope. It has defecated on itself, and the smell is awful, like chicken manure combined with cat urine. It is shaking like a leaf in its ropy bonds. Darius still has his hand clamped over its snout, preventing any further cries, and after a few seconds, it is evident that no one appears to be responding to his initial wail.

rollelectric
2011-02-04, 12:21 AM
Walking over cautiously to get a better vantage point, Talo joins the group surrounding the little lizard-like creature.

"This one does not look like a goblin. But, I can't imagine it would be here alone. Think we can get it to answer some questions without screaming at us?" He feels himself wondering if the kobold resented being called "it".

He looks to Huihaldrimme for a response. Turning to her has become a habit and in realizing this Talo turns his attention to the others of the group and finally focuses on the kobold's struggling figure.

lostsole31
2011-02-04, 02:44 AM
Huihaldrimme gives Talo a quick nod of consent ...

rollelectric
2011-02-04, 04:11 PM
Taking the lead in question Talo bends over the small creature and asks, "Are you alone?" He gives Darius a nod. Preparing to grab the creatures mouth shut himself if he lets out another wail.

lostsole31
2011-02-04, 08:19 PM
"Well," says Huihaldrimme, "the savage seems to understand the language of Men."

UserClone
2011-02-06, 10:56 PM
"No, Meepo is not alone!...yes, lots and lots of bounders, and we has a..."

The little creature shifts in Darius's grip so that he is facing the Cleric. "Had a mighty dragon friend."

Meepo looks forlorn as he sullenly stares at the floor between the feet of Darius and Talo.

rollelectric
2011-02-08, 07:58 PM
"Well, Meepo. Where are they now? What are you doing here?" Talo tried to find the creature's gaze as he asked him questions.

UserClone
2011-02-09, 09:16 AM
"Meepo is shamed. Stupid goblins stole our dragon! They stole Calcryx! Meepo could not defend her, not enough bounders here, and so they took our dragon, and with her, Meepo's manhood."
He lowers his gaze and wipes away another tear. It's obvious this line of questioning is making him more upset. He doesn't seem to be a threat at this point.

rollelectric
2011-02-10, 05:57 AM
Talo crouches to eye level with the creature and shakes his head. He did not upset the creature, and as far as he could tell this creature was not evil. "I'm very sorry to hear that, Meepo. Maybe we can help you. The goblins are our enemy as well."

Talo looks at Darius and says, "I don't think Meepo is dangerous and you don't look very comfortable either."

UserClone
2011-02-11, 09:31 AM
Darius, getting the hint, nods and lets the kobold go.

Meepo barely seems to notice Darius once you hit on the idea of rescuing the dragon.
"You help us...you save Calcryx?! Yes! Yeeeeesss...Come, if you make nice, I take you to see Yusdrayl, leader of us all. Grant you safe passage, if you promise not to hurt Meepo. Maybe if you promise her you rescue dragon, she make nice with you, and answer all your questions! Meepo will be hero for befriending giants!"

He smiles a huge, toothy smile.

rollelectric
2011-02-11, 05:19 PM
"What do you guys think?" Talo looks up to the others unafraid if Meepo overhears their decisions. He, himself, had doubts of trusting such a creature found sleeping in such a dungeon.

lostsole31
2011-02-11, 06:28 PM
During this time, Huihladrimme has felt/ not felt oogey-boogey feelings from Meepo.What does detect evil show?

UserClone
2011-02-14, 09:19 AM
Darius just shrugs.

"Well, he hasn't tried to call his 'bounders' on us again. I say we go for it. Might make allies instead of enemies, y'know?"

"I dunno, it could be a trap...in fact it seems like it almost HAS to be a trap..."

Cerise can't seem to make up her mind.

rollelectric
2011-02-15, 01:08 PM
"Then we shall help Meepo." Talo turned to Meepo, "Where are your friends and how did you come to be alone?"

lostsole31
2011-02-15, 10:08 PM
[Does Huihaldrimme sense evil from Meepo ... if so, how strong?]

UserClone
2011-02-15, 10:49 PM
"Meepo doesn't have friends...Meepo lost the dragon. Why would anyone be friends with Meepo?" Meepo seems dumbfounded that you wouldn't understand what seems so obvious to him.

"Come, Meepo will take you to Yusdrayl, Queen of Kobolds! She will send you on your quest...and answer your weird questions..."

rollelectric
2011-02-15, 10:59 PM
"Okay, lead the way." Talo wearily follows the kobold without wielding his weapon. He worries that the quest will cause them to get side-tracked. But, seeing as there is no real direction in this dark expansive place that any information is good information. For all he knew there were no goblins and no apples to be found here.

lostsole31
2011-02-16, 12:12 AM
"Very well," says Huihaldrimme, still guardedly but a bit more at ease. She will follow directly behing Meepo. He might not be evil, but that doesn't mean his kinsmen are decent ... and she still needs to protect her comrades should it come to that.

UserClone
2011-02-16, 09:54 AM
Meepo leads you out of the room through a crumbled archway on the west wall which leads to a long hall with a door on the right and two on the left. Before reaching any of the doors, however, he takes a 90-degree turn right, and heads north into a huge 20-foot-wide hallway leading west. Deterioration and decay thrive here as everywhere; however, a double row of relief-carved marble columns march the length of the hall. The worn carvings depict entwining dragons. Three kobolds patrol this area, and the first one to notice you draws the attention of his fellows, leveling his spear towards the group and shouting, "Meepo! Svaust re nomenoi vemcini? Svabol re wux tirir tenpiswo?"

"Astahii tepoha acuir ekess tlas Calcryx vur rana sia tiichi! Si clax astahi ekess ocuir Yusdrayl ihk jacioniv tiichir," responds Meepo with aplomb.

"Zi algbo. Si geou gethrisj vur visp wer caiask di douta confnir," replies the apparent leader of the three roving guards.

With that, he nods and takes off ahead of you and the other two follow you west, about 60 feet, until you arrive at a small, open room. A short throne stands near the west wall, constructed of fallen bits of masonry stacked against an old altar. A small, horned figure in red-dyed robes sits in the throne, and a force of six additional kobolds guards her, in addition to the guard who hustled here ahead of you. The altar's top contains a variety of small items, while the portion of the altar that serves as the throne's back features a carving of a rearing dragon. A metallic key is held firmly in the teeth of the dragon carving.

Meepo drops to one knee, bowing to the kobold on the throne.

"Jennu vur phlita Yusdrayl, douta ibleua katima Meepo dronilnric wux seiani ekess acuir Calcryx vur shartleg wer acqui seanf wer anqui! Astahii tepoha vsist inquiir svabolen ergriff ir di douta naam shilta anyui."

The kobold raises one eyebrow ridge in bemusement, then smiles, her mouth glistening with sharp fangs.

"Meepo! You have done well! Arise. Your honor will be restored if these humans (and...elf? curious...) succeed on their quest.

"And as for you lot, I will try to answer any questions you have. Understand that you are under my protection as long as you are sworn to complete this quest for my people. Should you succeed, you will be rewarded. Should you fail...well, just don't fail. Meepo will accompany to to represent us on your quest."

Meepo looks up at Yusdrayl in shock and terror, and then lowers his gaze to the floor, whimpering quietly.

lostsole31
2011-02-19, 01:28 AM
Huihaldrimme raises her sword in salute, but doesn't deign to speak to the creepy little creatures.

rollelectric
2011-02-19, 05:44 AM
Talo nods silently as the kobold speaks to the party.

"We may help you if you can provide us with some guidance. We are looking for the source of the apples that are rumored to heal any wound as well as any disease. Have you heard of the whereabouts of this magical fruit? Talo spoke up seeing as there was quite the awkward silence amongst the kobolds and his party.

He was beginning to doubt following Meepo into the lair of kobolds.

UserClone
2011-02-19, 10:45 AM
"The Outcast, he lives below. He grows the fruit, which he gives to the goblins. The dragon-thieving goblins are his servants!" she shouts, clenching her little fist in impotent frustration.

Anyone who cares to take notice observes that on top of the altar with the dragon key in it, which makes up the back of Yusdrayl's makeshift throne, there are a total of three scrolls, a large peacock feather, and a small stoneware flask with a stopper in it.

lostsole31
2011-02-19, 02:28 PM
Huihaldrimme doesn't whisper, though in sotto voce she says to Talo, "Well, what are we waiting for?"

UserClone
2011-02-19, 02:40 PM
"Meepo, you will take them the back way."

Turning to you, she says,
"We know that there are over a score of goblins, and that the Outcast lies beneath them. Take care that Calcryx is not harmed."

lostsole31
2011-02-19, 03:14 PM
Huihaldrimme salutes again, and then readies to leave.

rollelectric
2011-02-20, 12:17 AM
Talo turns to walk away with Lady H. Looking over shoulder he speaks softly to her, "I would have liked to find out more. Don't like kobolds?"

lostsole31
2011-02-20, 02:46 AM
"I like progress," says Lady H. rather diplomatically.

rollelectric
2011-02-20, 06:52 AM
Keeping his voice low not to be overheard by Meepo, he frowns as he turns towards Lady Huihaldrimme. "I agree. My eagerness to learn more is aimed at a swift completion of our primary quest and a swifter exit from this unnatural darkness. As for the kobolds, they seem as good a guide as of any. However, I'm wary that we may indeed find this 'dragon.'" Talo shakes his head at the thought and raises his voice only loud enough for Meepo to hear.

"Meepo, this back way, are we going to find a lot of danger?" Talo's body is tense as he walks in step behind the leading kobold.

UserClone
2011-02-20, 08:35 PM
You notice that the kobold apparently has been crying as you walk away from Yusdrayl's chamber. "Danger? Meepo knows there is danger no matter which way we go! Meepo is doomed...just follow," he blubbers between sniffles as you walk back through the hall of dragons. He takes you back through the room in which you discovered him sleeping, thenaround the central fire pit in that room, and up through the door in its northeastern wall. From there he takes you through a long, narrow hall which leads east, around the room you never checked in the hallway before Meepo's room.

"The goblins are north of here," says Meepo, pointing to the door at the end of the hall on its northern wall.

rollelectric
2011-02-20, 09:14 PM
Talo did not know that kobolds could cry or even have reason too. Finding out now was not comforting. He cannot find the words to comfort the kobold and is not sure if it is proper.

When they arrive at the door Talo examines the door closely. "What can we expect behind that door...besides goblins? " Not expecting any useful answers Talo turns to his companions. "Shall we check the door?"

lostsole31
2011-02-21, 01:14 AM
Lady H looks at Meepo and whispers, "Stay behind us until it is safe."

She then nods at Talo, her shield readied and sword in hand. Ehlonna, may my sword strike as true as an arrow against evil.

rollelectric
2011-02-21, 01:20 AM
Talo asks Darius if he can move closer to door and listen for what may be on the other side. He does not want to approach in his heavy armor and give them away. He wields his shield and morning star and waits for Darius' signal.

UserClone
2011-02-21, 10:19 AM
Darius nods and listens at the door.

"Nope. Nothing."

He pushes the door open, and the large room beyond appears empty and lightless, home only to some rat droppings, crumbled flagstones, and a few nameless stains. There is another door just to the right of center on the northern wall.

I would like to take this moment to remind the group that no one is in possession of darkvision and that Lady H currently holds the only light source (Albeit a pretty effective one), presumably tucked into the front of her belt or somesuch, so that she can wield her sword and shield effectively.

lostsole31
2011-02-21, 12:07 PM
[Ummmm, I thought I had given it to Darius to hold for that very reason? :smallconfused: ]

UserClone
2011-02-21, 11:12 PM
[Ummmm, I thought I had given it to Darius to hold for that very reason? :smallconfused: ]

Ah yes, my mistake. Point still stands though. There have been no apparent sources of light beyond the feeble sunlight that had filtered through to the outer courtyard. Beyond the front door, all has been blackness other than that which is within the radius of your sunrod.

rollelectric
2011-02-21, 11:59 PM
Talo feels a spark of divine wisdom and realizes that the darkness is becoming unsettling. He reaches into his pack to pull out a torch and realizes he has forgotten to bring any source of light.

"Should we light up another torch or sunrod?"

lostsole31
2011-02-22, 10:35 AM
"Torch," answers Lady H, "save the sunrod for now."

UserClone
2011-02-22, 11:47 AM
"I-I'll hold it..." offers Cerise.

UserClone
2011-02-22, 02:04 PM
Darius, meanwhile, has his ear to the northern door already.

He shrugs, shaking his head to indicate nothing can be heard.

lostsole31
2011-02-22, 06:35 PM
"Meepo," asks Lady H, "do you see in the dark? If so, be our eyes for us."

UserClone
2011-02-23, 08:01 AM
"Meepo can see in the dark. Can see far. Can see from behind you..."

Darius pulls the door open with a low, ominous cr-e-e-e-e-e-eak.

Dust and odd bits of stony debris and rubble lie scattered on the floor. An ornate fountain is built into the eastern floor and wall. Though cracked, stained, and dry, the fountain's carving of a diving dragon retains its beauty. A relief-carved stone door stands on the western wall. The northern wall opens up in the center into a short hall about seven feet wide, leading into another open space.