PDA

View Full Version : Online game as a promo for OotS?

Jolly Steve
2010-07-30, 02:43 AM
Hi,

This is an idea that I'm thinking of contacting Rich Burlew with. But I thought I'd post it here first for feedback.

As I've mentioned before, I've made an online game (see my sig). Despite its old-fashioned style, it gets a lot of traffic.

My idea is that I could make a similar game, but using Rich Burlew's artwork. The game would have ads which linked to this site and the Order of the Stick store.

The intention, obviously, is to bring in those people who might be interested in the comic, but haven't heard of it - perhaps because they don't play pen-and-paper games.

Any questions & comments welcome.

Bayar
2010-07-30, 05:04 AM
The answer would probably be no. Trademark and stuff...

Jolly Steve
2010-07-30, 06:14 AM
The idea is that it would provide the comic/store with free advertising. But you might be right.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-07-30, 09:16 AM
Using his artwork itself would probably be a big no. Rich is very protective of his copyrights and such. Not that I can blame him, of course. Using the style, though? That should be okay, but personally I'd still try to find a way to ask him.

king.com
2010-07-30, 10:03 PM
Using his artwork itself would probably be a big no. Rich is very protective of his copyrights and such. Not that I can blame him, of course. Using the style, though? That should be okay, but personally I'd still try to find a way to ask him.

Using the stick artstyle and then throwing a "inspired by" etc etc and linky im sure he wouldnt mind. Possibly even throw a couple of OotS quotes in there.

Jolly Steve
2010-07-31, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't 'clone' his artwork, even though I could probably legally do so. It'd spoil the point of using it.

Worira
2010-07-31, 12:50 AM
This definitely seems like something only Rich himself could give you meaningful feedback on, at least at this stage. If I recall correctly, his preferred method of contact is a forum PM.

Jolly Steve
2010-08-01, 06:15 AM
I've sent a PM.