PDA

View Full Version : 'In Shamus' Honour' IC

Grogmir
2010-07-30, 04:59 AM
22nd of Suncrest, 1501

Our Hero's begin their tale 1 day out from Djoshport, the ship and its crew have settled back down into the routine of life at sea after the hustle and bustle of loading, trading, resupplying and picking up 6 hardy passengers.
You are off the North West Corner of Dunlock, sailing west into the setting sun. Your ultimate destination is Talosport, home and capital of the Kingdom ruled by the Elf; Sagemaster Teerin Forwinol.

The Ocean’s Majesty
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/images/ship1.gif
World Map
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/images/world_map.gif
Knowledge History DC 8
Sagemaster Forwinol is the leader of the Elves of Mar Talos; A wizard of high repute his guidance and wisdom has brought peace and prosperity to the Island of Talos. Mar Talos is forest covered and populate solely by Elves. Nonelves are only allowed in the capital of Talosport, a great city of trading and entertainment. Forwinol has influence that spreads all over this part of Dunlock.
Knowledge History DC 16
Sagemaster Forwinol is not the 1st Forwinol to rule Mar Talos, his farther before him, Lucan is said to be a even greater wizard! Less is known of the human isles of Grey Moor & Mar Tesaro but by all accounts they are not happy places, The North of Grey Moor is known to be under a deadly curse and the two kingdoms on Mar Tesaro are too interesting in fighting each other to bother anyone else.
The ship you're on is a stout and obviously well travelled Merchantman, you might be leaving the Darkness of Dunlock but this is no refugee ship. The crew go about its business with skill and determination, all around you there are the shouts (and the curses) of sailors working.
After casting off, A Human by the name of Beck took you on a tour of the ship. Beck is a portly, kind fellow, Not fat but certainly not skinny – More evidence of a life of Hard work & Hard Drinking. Strong tanned arms show the time he’s spent under the sun. Tufts of Black Hair seems to sprout and run riot over his head, (personal grooming is not a concern for Beck nor most of the crew) But as he shows you round the Ocean’s Majesty you warm to his infectious nature, his obvious love for the ship and its crew. After a short while he takes you back to the guest cabins.

Beck: “Now then Friends, I would love to stop and answer all your questions, but I’ve got to look after the ship. If there’s anything you need speak to me, one of the crew, or Captain Puffs. You can’t miss him – he’ll be by the wheel sitting on his barrel up on the poop deck. You’ll find the food and ale down in the mess and well… that’s it really. Sorry I can’t stop, there’s no rest for the first mate!”
Insight DC 12
A momentary expression of hurt or disappointment flashes across his face.
You look about the guest cabins, 6 rooms lead off a main communal room (taking a peak you see these consist of nothing more than a small cot like bed, a large Pot and a mirror.) The ceiling is low and the decoration non existent. There are holes in the floorboards where guest luggage has been nailed down. A few chairs are located around the edge.
Looking about you you see a Gnome trying not to be stood on by two dragonborn and a Dwarf in the tight confines of the room. A human and a Githzerai are sat in the corner.
Tambor you see
two bumbling Dragonborn and a Dwarf towering over you. If there not careful (and when have they ever been?) they’ll stand on you!
Outside a bell rings indicating 1 hour until mess.

[DM: Well there we are – over too you my fine hero’s.]

HeroComplex
2010-07-30, 09:25 AM
Tambor

As they're lead about the ship, the gnome Tambor watches their surroundings with a curious eye, taking in every detail, and really enjoying the tour.

When they're left to their quarters, Tambor deftly dodges out of the path of the larger guests, using is lithe legs and nimble wits to keep from being underfoot. He's used to it, though. Being one of only a few gnomes to have served in the army at the time, Tambor quickly learned how to be sure he wasn't stepped on, and his personality was big enough that he was hardly ignored.

Running his fingers over his fiery red, short-cropped hair, he makes his way to his sleeping area, rummaging through his pack and pulling out supplies to condition his armor and equipment. He quickly and efficiently goes through the process of oiling his leather armor, mumbling about seawater and salt, before he begins starting on his shortbow.

As he works, he attempts to strike up a conversation with some of the other warrior types, "So, what has you big, burly bumblebrains headin' to the land of Elves and well, more Elves? It certainly isn't for exploring. If memory serves, they won't even let us out of town once we arrive. Me? I've promised myself I'd see the world after I got out of the militia, and what better place to start, than at the top left corner?!"

Having finished with his equipment, he's fetched a little scroll with some lines scrawled on it that says "World Map - 2cp" on it, and is pointing at the squiggly line that vaguely resembles Mar Talos.

Turalisj
2010-07-30, 11:36 AM
Doivak

Doivak joined in the tour of the ship, silently noting all of the places a stowaway could hide or an ambush against borders could be staged. Once shown where the rooms are, Doivak entered for a time to meditate. He had travelled so far from his homeland, yet seen so little.

After about an hour of meditating and practicing his sword katas, Doivak felt the slight pangs of hunger that he had ignored. Very well, he thought to himself, I shall see what the rest of the passengers about this ship are like.

Once inside the mess room, Doivak found a nice little corner to sit at. He ordered a drink and some food and sat down, drawing a hood over his head so that it covered most of his face in shadow. He leaned forward, hands clasped under his chin, and observed the area.

Marly_Blackwate
2010-07-30, 12:10 PM
Sorkhan

Seagoing was not something this young Dragonborn was used to. Constantly a little off balance, trying to follow the rocking of the Ocean's Majesty. He'd been mildly interested in the tour. It was good to get a layout of the ship, but his heart lay in the destination not the journey.

"I'm answering the call of the Sagemaster. With a little bit of luck, he's planning on taking the fight to the spreading plague." he replies. He decides to ignore the 'bumblebrains' comment for the time being. Sorkhan shifts uncomfortably again when the deck makes a slow roll. "I am.. not meant for sea travel." he muses out loud. Looking to the rest of the adventurers in the guest quarters, he continues, "Introductions would be in order, I think. You may call me Sorkhan."

HeroComplex
2010-07-30, 12:21 PM
Tambor

"You have trouble with the sea, my scaly friend? That's too bad! The world is mostly sea, see? Tambor replies, holding up the cheap map.

"Tambor's my name. Former battalion commander, 3rd archery division. At your service!" Seeing Sorkhan's discomfort, Tambor scrambles over and does a little circle around the rather large Dragonborn,trying to get him to turn around, while whistling at him. "That's quite the build you have on you there. Did you eat many small children growing up? My mother used to try to scare me as a boy with tales of your kind, and I've met a few from the army who might 'ave fit the bill." He smiles wryly before finishing his circuit and resuming his seat with his things.

Turalisj
2010-07-30, 12:32 PM
I am Doivak, student of the school of the Pressing Tide. The githzerai said from under the cloak, taking a small sip of his drink before setting it down.

Poison_Fish
2010-07-30, 04:02 PM
Liv

Liv is sitting on a chair, with a bit of cloth over her lap. On top of the cloth is a dissembled door handle and lock that belongs to her personal room. Her set of tools are out and she's oiling and cleaning the lock while keeping one visible eye out for everyone else in the room, as the rest of her messy red hair covers her face.

Noting the conversation between the Gnome and one of the Dragonborn, she hollers over from her chair while cleaning off one of her tools with an end of the cloth.

"I'm Liv Seppo, mostly lookin' for work. Here's to hoping a bunch of elves will actually hire other folk" she sighs and shakes her head. "How about the rest of you?" she gestures with an oily hand towards those who haven't spoken.

Marly_Blackwate
2010-07-30, 05:37 PM
Sorkhan

The large dragonborn, turns his head as the fast-paced little gnome proceeds to circle around his legs. He offers a toothy grin and looks down, "No no, I'm ok in the water, just not used to being aboard a seagoing vessel. It'll just take time and practice, as with all things."

He smiles and sets himself up against the wall of their cabin, "Ah, a former military man, eh? I've never served in a formal army myself, but I too share a knack for leadership in combat. Admittedly, I serve a much more 'front line' service for my companions." He offers a large, red-scaled hand to the diminutive gnome, "Good to meet you, Tambor." Sorkhan looks to the others having introduced themselves, "And good to meet you all as well!"

Anansi33
2010-07-31, 01:26 AM
While they're given the tour the ship, careful to not accidentally slip into the salty sea, Orsik watches their surroundings and the ship's motions... especially the ship's motions. Feeling a little queasy, he barely audibly grumbles to himself, "I hate boats."

Seeing the look of hurt on the face of the first mate made him wonder, was he not happy being a first mate? Orsik thought that the first mate was second only to the captain, was there no honor in that? Unfortunately for Orsik, he could lose himself in his thinking, that's how he miscalculated the blasting charge that set him up to be Moradin's will in the world. Snapping out of his thoughts by Liv's prodding, attempt's to stand a little straighter. He, by reflex, touches the necklace with the Soul Forger's symbol on it and mutters a short prayer while Tambor circles Sorkhan. He missed most of the introductions, but at least he managed to catch their names.

"You can call me Orsik," Orsik says, leaning his staff against a wall, "that's me name after all. I'm hoping that Elf 'ill take my help fighting the darkness taking over the land, he'll need as many people as he can get."

Doombringer
2010-07-31, 08:54 AM
Raiann was not much of a talker especially to those he did not know to well. He was leaning over the rail of the boat upon the starboard side any who looked over saw that massive frame and the halberd that rested upon his back. He loved the ocean the ocean was home to storms and he felt as one here. He would close his eyes and take in that sweet pungent smell of salt and whisper to himself "Gonna be a good day.". Raiann then pushed off the railing and turned to see who was doing the talking..a bunch of sea soggy people just like himself. He nodded politely to any who nodded to him in return and hearing the mess hall bell sound he happily went down below more than ready to eat...asking a silyl question. "What are we having?"

Grogmir
2010-07-31, 10:05 AM
As the sun comes down on the first day at sea, the wind and waves are calm - slowly rocking the boat from side to side. The sea gleams like an almost perfect mirror. The ships bell rings out for Dinner. Only a few crew remain above deck.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/4c/c6/03/sun-set-from-sea-view.jpg

You enter the mess which has two long tables with benches either side, most of the crew seem to be here but there's space enough for you to find a space together to continue your introductions.

On one side there is a smaller table with Mugs, Plates, Cold Meats, Fruit, Bread and Cheese - all freshly supplied. A barrel is open by the side. While from the Galley the smell of nice thick stew spreads out across the room. You see bowls appearing on the serving shelf - a little hairy hand can be seen putting them on now and then.

Beck is at the head of your table with a group of sailours, they are chatting sailours talk - mostly about the freshness of the food.

The other table is less cordial, At the end away from you a Elf sits alone, He's wearing fancy clothes that look faded and a little battered. He sips slowly at a bowl of stew. Near him an unmissable Goliath struggles to sit at the low (from her) benches, she moves with slow delibrate movements, most likely to avoid knocking over all the plates and drinks that are spread infront. Neither of these seem to pay much attention to your arrival.

Further down is a smaller group of the crew, one of which see's you and wanders over, mug in hand. He quickly introduces himself as Norbert, common sailour, and by the looks of him - the most unwashed man on the boat. Shoulder length greasy black hair hangs in clumps, his top is covered with scraps of food and damp with splashes of ale. But dispite this he's oddly likable, open, friendly and with the mearest hint happy to talk about himself and others.

Norbert: "Friends! Travellers! Potential gamblers! Welcome to the Ocean's Majesty - I'm Norbert, 'ommon sailour and great 'ard player. Tell us your names and lets get osy" He whipsers to you "Eat up while its fresh and 'fore the 'rew get at it" "So you off to Mal Talos? You'll be with us a while yet then" He shouts to Beck "Bayhaven first - then Fort Bolland - then back to Elves That right?" "One month I reckon - still profitable for old Puffs anyway

After a short while - the Elf you noticed before stands up and comes over.

"Inores is my name - first mate of this fine ship"

Insight DC8You noticed the stress on 'fine', smeared with condescension.

"Captain Purlof would like to see you later - shall we say two hours in your common room" He doesn't wait for an answer "Excellent" and leaves

Norbert waits until Inores leaves then whistles one long notes. "Well I guess you've met the new first mate - plesent as always I see. I guess you need to hear the tale.

Norbert likes to talk and he likes to talk about himself and others. Over the next few minutes you learn of his girl back in Bayhaven, he beams over that but looks wistful at the same time.
Shipwise you learn Beck used to be first mate but Inores has called in a favour from Captain Purlof and has been appointed first mate for this trip. He also has half the storage space on the ship and stands to make a few copper on this trip, for more than a few reasons he hints.
His full of praise for Captain Purlof, or Puffs as he seems to call him. Fine fellow - good seaman - kept us all safe and with gold in our pocket - few tricks up his sleves too, he winks.

DM: Perhaps trying a few questions (Dice rolls) might yield more info.

Grogmir
2010-07-31, 10:19 AM
@Doivak

From your look around the ship - you notice it all seems in order. The Carpentery Workshop is a good place to abush from - its got wide doors and sturdy steps and opens into the heart of the deck. In general your inspection reassure's you that Captain Purlof runs a tidy enough ship

@Raiann

The Crew seems happy enough - Pretty much all that pass you say 'ello or 'Ow Do. The atomsphere is nothing to unsettle you.

@Liv

Is that the ships Lock? If so you see its a simple affair - very basic. It was pretty rusty but comes up nice with a quick polish.

@All: A little expanded Backstory to fill in some gaps.

The Town of Djoshport was a buzz with Forwinols calling. A month before a grand Elven ship had sailed into harbour and posted the noticed in the town hall. Its certainly unusual - Forwinol and the Elves usually have far less direct influence. Only the traders travel there often, but there is no doubting anyone with talent was called with the notice. Rumours and halftruths were spreading like wildfire.

HeroComplex
2010-07-31, 04:29 PM
Tambor

Tambor takes the dragonborn's hand and then hops of his perch when the dinner bell rings. "All roit! Vittles!" he cries, then scampers out the door.

Grabbing himself a plate of bread, cheese and a small bowl of stew he sets himself up standing on the bench, leaning over onto the table. He proceeds to make a right fine mess in the mess eating the mess of food he's placed before him.

As Norbert comes to chat, you can hear Tambor speaking around the food in his mouth, "So what kind of things are going on in Mar Talon? We've heard some rumor of danger and mayhem. How about Bayhaven? You seem pretty familiar with the place. Is that where you're from? Do you think we'll be there long enough for someone to find a few day's work while we're in port?

Diplomacy:[roll0]

Poison_Fish
2010-07-31, 05:07 PM
Indeed it is the ships lock to my door. I figured a little tidying would be good.

Liv happily eats the food while listening to Tambor and Norbert's conversations. Waiting for a chance to chime in, she ask Norbert "So I'm guessing Inores isn't part of the regular crew? How does he know the Captain? She then gestures over to Beck "How about Beck? How's he and the Captain get along?"

Diplomacy [roll0]

Grogmir
2010-07-31, 07:08 PM
Speaking to Tambor "Well Hello Little friend, Mar Talos, I know as much as you most likely, Forwinol has put a call out but to what end I know not, Ey I've been to Talosport on more than a few trips, Its quite a sight, and a amazing place but no place for a sailour - mostly tree's you see Giant ones that reach to the sky and wooden huts wrapped all around. The elves are friendly but secretive, generous with their gold which is the main thing. But whats got em riled up I cannae say."
Taking a long deep gulp of ale he continues "Bayhaven, Yea I've been there and its as close to a home on land that I have, if you get my meaning, Orginally though i'm from north Grey Moor, Baytown, but then the plague came."

Knowledge History DC16

Baytown was the former captial of Greymoor - Then almost a decade ago now a dark mist spread across the northern lands - Any that were exposed withered away - as did the crops and all that was good. The inhabitants of Baytown moved on mass to the South and formed Bayhaven, Times are hard and while the plague has slowed harvests are still poor and food scarce, it is not a rich place. The Steward rules maitains control with a firm hand.
Norbert continues "You're such a fine fellow let me tell you a little secret" Leaning in "I've had a let from my lass, Talla" He proceeds with a list of qualities, none of which seem to be her looks "We're having a baby! So I'm cashing in, Settling down i guess, She's in Bayhaven waiting for my return"

Norbert Turns to Liv,lears with greedy eyes "'Ello sweetie, Inores, Your right there love, We know Inores has called in some Boon from way back - when Puffs was just a nipper and it was strong enough for Puffy to basically split the ship in two right now, ownership wise you understand.
Inores has joined us for this circuit and Puffs has given him more control than any captain would normally. He gave him becks position for the trip, which the lads don't like but why would Puffs do it? We know Inores has called in some Boon from way back - when puffy was just a nipper but none of us have had the courage to ask him and Inores is as tight as a Nun's *******, oh sorry lass sailours talk" " But we'll be alright dear, Becks is a good lad and him and the Captain are fine, The only sore point has been the captain said he has to not be called first mate while Inores is on board and O'le becky keeps forgetting!. But they've been together now at least fourteen summers, and we all know Beck is really the first mate, We just have a snorty elf snearing at us while we work." Talking through a large mouthful of Bread "You'll be able to handle that my stout Dwarf eh?" And chuckles at the thought.

Insight DC8

Norbert seems totaly genuine - he's just a jolly sailour speaking to someone new, a liked member of the crew by the laughter he brings to the crew. Inores in the short time you've been with him just seems like a disagreeable elf.

Marly_Blackwate
2010-07-31, 08:14 PM
Sorkhan

The thought of food was rather tempting, as it happened. Plus the chance to break bread with his fellow travellers might be a good chance to hear stories and get to know each other a little better. Of course, getting dragged off by the gnome left little opportunity to argue.

He finds himself a bowl of the stew as well, and gets a look of joy on his face as he manages to wrangle up a large frothy mug of the ship's ale.

He takes his time, each spoonful of the warm meal savored just as the next. Sorkhan is content to listen as Tambor talks up a storm. When the subject of shipboard discussion and the drama surrounding the presence of 'two' First Mates.

Anansi33
2010-07-31, 08:28 PM
Orsik can't help but instinctively cringe when Tambor yells out 'Vittles!'. Probably some Gnomish war cry they yell before charging into battle an' feasting on the dead. Hah, now there's a thought. He chuckles quietly to himself while grabbing a plate from the side table and filling it with some meat, cheese, an apple, and a piece of bread.

After taking a seat by Beck and muttering a short prayer to Moradin, Orsik begins to dig in. In between a few mouthfuls of food, he asks, "So Beck, is livin' on a boat so grand as I hear it is? Most of us dwarves don't ever go near boats... for obvious reasons," he adds with a smile.

Turalisj
2010-07-31, 08:42 PM
Doivak doesn't speak at all, merely content to nod his head. He didn't go up to get food, instead taking small sips of his drink every few minutes. When the subject of loved ones comes up, he merely opens an eye before shutting it again.

Finaly, he rubbed his head with one hand and spoke in a slow, methodical tone. When one is faced with an opponent that they cannot defeat themselves, it is wise to ask for aide from others. So I ask this, what in this plane could be so dangerous, so powerfull, that someone such as the sagemaster Teerin might need of aide of four beings such as ourselves? I am not very well traveled in the world, but I was taught that the elves are very proud and stubborn race and would rather die taking down a foe than surrender or ask for help from others.

ooc: Proud and stubborn.... like the brits...

Doombringer
2010-08-01, 01:28 AM
Far to content to start gnawing on the food trying some of everything. Bread,cheese stew and meat..that dragonborn muzzle snapping shut each time a new piece of food was placed into it. Raiann just simply smiled figuring that the sailors would soon start telling stories. He looked up seeing Norbert and arched a brow as he heard all of the information spew from his mouth in such a rapid sucession it made Raiann's head hurt but the fellow meant well it seemed. He soon started thinking about Beck felt..horrible hand he had been dealt. "Elves always thinking they are better than others." He gruffed to himself and went back to eating.

HeroComplex
2010-08-01, 11:26 AM
Tambor

"A baby you say!? Congratulations!" Tambor seems genuinely excited about the idea. "That's tough news about the first mates, though. Makes me wonder what kind of trouble that captain of yours got into to owe something so great to the elf."

Grogmir
2010-08-01, 06:04 PM
Orsik, You can't sit right next to beck he seems a popular guy and the crew sit tight around him enjoying the laughter of dinner time. But a couple of guys make a space friendly enough. While you eat you hear taughts of sailours, Beck says to the group "I see Norbert is talking to the new guys, I just wish he worked as fast as he talked"... another sailour mocks "Well not your problem for a while eh becky".. "No, ey, you're right there and I can't say I mind the holiday, put my feet up, take it easy like you fella's for a while eh"..."Whats that fine Dwarf? We haven't had many prayers at this table for a while, Crolman doesnae come up much anymore, but despite our heritical nature I'll wager there's not a man aboard that would swap for life on board for one on land. I reckon a dwarf would make a fine sailour if he put his mind to it, it takes hardy folk to work at sea."

Doivak, Norbert turns towards you Woo there my friend, Gith... Gith... Hehe now, I've made this mistake before" He Smiles slightly forced "Know you're as welcome as all, but I reckon I might lose a pretty copper if I play cards with you!, Well then, I know what frightens me in this world but what frightens Forwinol and the elves I wouldn't LIKE to know, but I doubt you'll be the only one answering the call, with their gold they could end up with an army! He He Stubbord as maybe proud for sure, but there's not many places I feel as safe as Talosport.

DM OOC: Rocks fall Doivak dies.

Norbert turns to Raiann "Certainly that Elf my stout Dragonfried, Used to be a captain of his Grand elven fine ship they say, finding it hard slumming with us." He laughs seemingly at Inores misery. Answering Tambor congratulations "Thank you squire, keep it under your hat, at least for now, the guys would mock something bad if they found out!"

Talking to Sorkhan "Don't be shy there, the fresh food goes pretty quick, and you look like you need your fill!" He smiles at his own gest.

Anansi33
2010-08-01, 08:12 PM
"Hah!" Orsik says, laughing a warm and hearty laugh, getting in a better mood with food in his stomach. "If they could find their sea legs, tha' is! I've been here for a day and I still haven't found mine yet!" Careful not to get any food on the white cloths covering his chainmail, he takes an exploratory bite from the apple on his plate... and finds it satisfying. Addressing the group of sailors around Beck, he asks, "So wha' do ya guys do fer fun around here? I mean when yer not working. Gamblin'? Cards?"

Doombringer
2010-08-01, 09:13 PM
"I would wager they do not do any arm wrestling do ye?" Raiann said after he had ate his fill and slid the plate away. "Though I would reckon they are all ready for a bit of shore leave." He then finished off the last of his drink and stood. "I know I could go for a warm bath myself."

HeroComplex
2010-08-01, 09:36 PM
Tambor

Tambor nods his head and pulls a finger over his mouth in an "I'll keep it quiet" gesture.

Hearing someone mention arm wrestling, his head picks up on a swivel. I'll wrestle with yah, but I'm not setting any bones if they get broken! It's been known to happen before..." He seems very proud of himself.

"Shall we have a go? 10gp on it? Do I have any other takers? 2:1 odds I beat the lizard!"

Athletics check:[roll0]

Poison_Fish
2010-08-01, 11:05 PM
Liv finishes off her soup and speaks to Norbert while the excitement of arm wrestling is about to happen. "So, what is the cargo that this ship is carrying? Both what this ship usually transports and what the elf's loaded aboard?"

Turalisj
2010-08-01, 11:13 PM
A slight smile came over Doivak. I will... take up the challenge. He took off his cloak, revealing a wiry but well muscled frame.
[roll0]

Doombringer
2010-08-02, 02:44 AM
Raiann laughed as he was not even involved in the first match and simply oversaw it. "Ahh two contestants." He watched the two go at it and then shook his head before saying "Alas I think you two could easily beat me.. I am not a match I suppose." Raiann then stood and moved back upstairs to the deck watching the sun set over the sea.

Grogmir
2010-08-02, 08:01 AM
The Crew mock Orsik gently over his 'Can't find my legs comment' "They may be short Master Dwarf but not that short! Round enough too! Ah Puffs is a good captain, he doesn't mind our games and gambling as long as we keep it under a gold a piece. There is none of us rich and putting another in the poor 'ouse is a quick way to a disgruntled ship or so Puffs says but we'll gamble on anything! Mostly though Norbert runs the carding, there's running the sheets of course and pulling the rope, Beck likes them as he wins a lot and it tires us out. Wrestling was popular but since Endos' arrivial thats trailed off" The crew member shouts over to the big Goliath sitting on the other table "Ain't that right Endos, no one can lay a finger on ya when it comes to the wrestling!".... The Goliath slowly nods in agreement before getting back on with her food.

On hearing Rainann, another crew replies

Ey, We've done some arm fighting in our time - shore leave pah - Aint nothing beats the open ocean, well one thing".... a lot of the other crew mock him for his lack of success at this endeavour on the last landfall. "Ah well more chance of that than a warm bath out here Mr Dragon! Closest you'll get is a good shower but this heat looks like continuing

Beck and his friends seem interested now, this breaks out in full on shouting (Mostly gambling odds and bets being placed) when Tambor shouts his challenge.

You little Gnome! Ha - you look hardy enough for your kind I'll grant you that but you wont get good odds from me! Ah it seems the Githzerai is eager for the sport, go on then lets clear some room.

All the crew back off and clear some space, even the Goliath stands up (as well as she can) to get a better view. A little Halfling scuttles out of the Galley, He's wearing an apron and covered in flour. What’s all this noise, you haven't finished the Barrel already you drunken sots? Oh a little sport, I'll wager a gold on the Gnome, us short folk got to stick together
There is much cheering of both the Githzerai and the Gnome, it’s a tough tight match. The Gnome takes an early lead and Doivak looks worried but slowly, very slowly he gets the upperhand on Tambor. When his hand reaches the table there's is much cheering, slaps on the back for both and full jugs of ale are pushed into Tambors and Doivaks hands.

@Tambor and Doivak
That was a tough matchup - if you wish to fight again you need to make a DC16 Endurance check or suffer a -2 penalty to Athletics.

@Liv Seppo
Norbert seems distracted by the Arm Wrestling and he double takes at your question before answering. ”Why we carry anything that sells well! Dwarven ale from Golgotha sells all over the Dunlock, food on Grey Moor is always expensive so there’s profit there and then there's arms to the Lorminites on Mar Tesaro, the elves though have the most gold but what they wish to spend it on I can never work out." He seems to be thinking something over, working out how much to say.

To continue Diplomacy DC8 (OOC I've knocked this down from normal to easy - as he seems eager to impress and please you.)
Norbert continues "But Inores, well, it’s not just what he's carrying, but how much, he's stocked us to the rafters! All with Weapons and Armour by the weight off them. I should know I carried most down to the hold. Tis why we are sitting so low in the water.

@Rainann

You leave the laughter of the Mess Room behind to see that dusk has fully enveloped the seascape, the Sky glows a dark blood red. Most of the crew are down below, but up on the poop deck you can see Inores talking a Human, Stocky with wild Red hair and a full beard to boot, the Human is smoking a pipe and sitting on a large barrel by the wheel.

Perception DC16
Inores is obviously trying to convince the Human of something as you catch up with the conversation “But there’s no Profit there, If we go south first then the Elves not only will the ‘guests be off that much quicker and I’ll… eh you’ll be finished with me sooner too” The man seems to inwardly sigh, you wonder how long this conversation has gone on “As I have said Beck” “Pah!” Inores interrupts “Beck” , the human continues “Has his mind set on Bayhaven, I will speak with him Inores and find out his great haste but until then we stay on this course.”

Inores walks off at this point, passes you on his way towards the front of the ship

HeroComplex
2010-08-02, 08:28 AM
Tambor

Surprisingly strong for a gnome, Tambor puts up a valiant effort, but in the end is defeated by his opponent. He chuckles in a good-natured manner and begins digging some coins from his purse. With a sly smile, he wiggles his fingers a bit and uses his inherent gnomish ability to be sneaky and throws his voice at the door, trying to sound like a loud, brash Captain Puffs might, "OY NOW! WHAT'S THIS GAMBLING GOING ON ON MY SHIP!?"

As everyone turns to look, he slyly palms a few exposed coins hoping to defray the costs of his losses.

Racial Ghost Sound FTW!
Thievery:[roll0] Please add any bonus I might get for the Ghost Sound move.

Edit: Wow, that roll was lame. Although, sometimes failing is more fun than succeeding :smallwink:

Grogmir
2010-08-02, 09:29 AM
Tambor
OCC: I'm giving you a +4 for using ghost sound - but -2 as you haven't heard the captain speak yet.

Percetion Roll for the Crew[roll0]

All but Tambor and Raiann Perception DC8
You see Tambor snaffle up a couple of the loose gold coins from the winning pot.

Doombringer
2010-08-02, 01:11 PM
Raiann listened to Inores distain for the Beck fellow and shook his head simply nodding as he passed by. He then moved up towards the railing making himself easily seen and looks out over the water. "Days seem to be getting longer on this ship." He would then himself look for a crate to sit on and get comfortable.

Grogmir
2010-08-02, 05:43 PM
In the mess hall many shouts ring out at the same time as a lot of the crew notice Tambor swipe a handful of the gambling pot. In a few moments Beck is over pushing his way through a throng of men "Hey now, whats this about gnome friend, we were getting on famous, we don't need no cheats or sneak thiefs on board" A bit of chatter rings out at this, its evident from the crews talk that they aren't above a little rule breaking when ashore. "Thats as maybe, but this is onboard, there's none of us that will each other a bad turn, so come on Tambor what you got to say?"

Tambor: Diplomacy Check DC16 please, Anyone want to aid?

Raiann, The smell of tobacco floats over your shoulder and your hear a gruff voice behind say "Ah but they are mighty fine days" And he release a large plume of smoke high into the still nightair. Its the Hairy redheaded man just speaking to Inores.

Poison_Fish
2010-08-02, 06:52 PM
Liv shakes her head at the gnomes antics and finishes off her meal. She then sits back and watches, deciding, for now, to see how this gnome will get out of his bind.

Anansi33
2010-08-02, 08:47 PM
Orsik finishes off the rest of the food on his plate just in time to watch Tambor arm wrestle Doivak. He isn't surprised when the Githzerai wins. When some of the crew start shouting that the gnome cheated, Orsik quietly gets up, heads over to the table with the fruit on it, and grabs another apple. Taking a juicy bite, he watches to see how Tambor will get out of this predicament.

Turalisj
2010-08-02, 08:59 PM
Doivak stood up, stepping infront of the gnome with his hands clasped behind his back. Let us not turn this into something bigger than it needs to be. Our gnomish friend will return the money from the gambler's pot that he took and apologize. If it is needed, I will stand in for any punishment he may be given. His eyes had a serious look in them, staring down any sailor who might be thinking of brawling over a few coins. Although his scimitar wasn't on him, Doivak rarely went anywhere without his armor on him, and the scalemail gleemed in the ship's lighting.

intimidate check
[roll0]

Grogmir
2010-08-03, 03:31 AM
'Ere now no reason for you to get involved! You won fair and square its this here Gnome we want to hear from!

DM: Failure to intimidate I'm afraid - No aids so far Tambor.

Doombringer
2010-08-03, 03:48 AM
Raiann laughed before saying "Indeed Captain..indeed.." turning he would look on the man. "I hope i did not disturb you the mess hall was getting a bit to loud for my liking right now." Raiann adjusted his weight and then smiled. "So where are we heading?"

Grogmir
2010-08-03, 03:59 AM
"Captain Indeed, Captain Purlof at your service. The mess hall sounds no different to what it usual does after a good feed, probably arguing over some bet most likely" On the heading he says"That has yet to be decided" He looked off in the direction Inores left "but I shall speak to you and all the interested parties once the ruckas quietens down, West will do us kindly enough for tonight" He offers you a suck on his pipe.

HeroComplex
2010-08-03, 09:47 AM
Tambor

Seeing he's been caught, Tambor turns a slight shade of crimson. "Now, now... let's not be hasty!" Tambor shouts over the din. He opens his hand and lets the pilfered coins fall back into the pot. "He is a right bit bigger than I am! I was only tryin' to even the match, or its outcome rather. No harm in a little fun among friends, eh? 'ows abouts I promise to take him out for a gran 'ol time once we put in, as a way to make ammends. You can see, even he's not been rustled too badly. What do you say? Friends? He extends his hand to Doviak.

Diplomacy:[roll0]

Doombringer
2010-08-03, 09:55 AM
Raiann looked to the captain who offered the pipe. He took it taking a couple puffs before handing it back. "West sounds as good as any other direction I suppose." Raiann then stretched a bit before asking. "What about the weather how do you think it is going to be on our voyage?"

Grogmir
2010-08-03, 10:26 AM
Beck looks you over once "Aye, Now you see, thats better words than your actions. Just watch your hands in future eh! He's right though lads, he's a strong un for a small un" Turning to the whole group "Lets just settle down er and finish this 'ere barrel of fine ale and split up the pot" As the crew settles back down he leans in and whispers to Tambor and the rest of you "Just keep your hands where we can see em in future, don't need no shenanigans or bad feelings"

DM: Doivak you receive 2D20 + 10 Gold for winning the match.

Beck says to you "Ah ships rules we all give a gold to the winner that way ensures there's lots of things to bet on!"

The evening settles down and third of the crew are called back to stations.

Raiann "West takes us into the sea and away from Dunlock Hi distain for the mainland is quite clear "Hopefully we'll pick up a bit of wind tomorrow, we need it as we are so heavy.... Which reminds me I must speak with Crolman" He's just making to leave when he see's the rest of the party return above board, he shouts to you all

"Welcome guests, hope you found the messhall satisfactory, I'm Captain Purlof and I will make your aquantaince properly shortly" and this he scuttles down below leaving you to enjoy the night air.

About 30 minutes later, you are all settling down in your common room when there's a knock at the door. In walks Captain Purlof, Inores and Beck.
"Now Now, don't get up, I'm not that important you have to stand t'attention, now let me welcome you properly to me ship, I'm Captain Purlof, or Puffs as the crew call me and you're mighty lucky in my opinion as there's no finer ship making its way, answering Forwinols call as we speak, and most of the ships are filled to the rafters with adventures like yourself or so the other captains say"
Insight DC 12

You see Inores shudder when Purlof says 'my ship'
Purlof continues "This is my crew, Inores, first mate and Beck, head sailour, if i'm not around please obey them as you would me, Ships need discipline I hope you understand.
Anyway I wanted to inform you that there has been a change of plan" You see Inores smirking at this point "We are not going to Bayhaven but Fort Bolland first, then straight to which Talosport which should get you there two weeks earlier than first agreed, so hopefully we are all happy" You see Beck clearly is not.
"A wise decision" Snears Inores.
"As you wish" Mumbles Beck.

After a short while they see Purlof has settled down with his pipe and a small glass of Whiskey. The make their excuses and leave... Puffs release a big sigh

"Well I'm glad to be alone with you fellas, the atmosphere between them two is driving me to drink! Okay to drink more! Sometimes its good to sit with your equals, or at least not you crew, if you would just indulge me a moment" He puts his feet up for a well earned rest as the day draws to a close.

Poison_Fish
2010-08-03, 12:48 PM
Liv takes note of Inores shudder and listens to the rest of the discussion. After making sure they have exited, she pulls up a chair closer to the captain and speaks to him "So, as I fathom it, Inores isn't actually the first mate. Not only that, he's got a pretty penny riding here" she lightly steps her foot on the floor twice. "What sort of cargo is this ship carrying to get us to change course mid voyage? Not that I mind gettin to our destination earlier, I appreciate that for sure. But the tension between Beck and Inores is thicker then highland goat butter."

HeroComplex
2010-08-03, 01:07 PM
Tambor

Fresh from his close call with the crew, Tambor is feeling a little more cautious. "Have you received some news from the fort that requires us to go there?" he asks, simply.

Doombringer
2010-08-03, 04:30 PM
Raiann looks to Beck offer a small frown simply to show that he understands the man. He then loosk to Inores with a hate that can only be seen as pure malice before saying. "Well I am glad to be arriving at my destination we will see if the wind agrees with that won't we ..Fist Mate Beck.." He then catches himself accidentally on purpose and says. "Excuse me Inores I am still getting use to all the titles..a dumb savages mistake." Raiann may have apologized but Beck he was hoping got the hidden message behind it. The large dragonborn then moved to find a comfortable seat and relax.

Grogmir
2010-08-03, 05:50 PM
DM: OOC Ok Raiann to speak with Beck and Inores I'm assuming you followed them outside quickly.

Inores stops and turns when he here's 'First Mate Beck' "SavageSSS, sounds about right" and walks off muttering in elvish. The stress on the plural is very aparant. Beck simles broadly "Thanks friend, ha, he does get riled up some, still the crew does give it to him something bad, go easy on him, had some hard knocks recently and aint used to the rough like us. Wind should pick up tomorrow or so we're told, Which is more's the better all the quickier to get our friend gone , Good night"

Sitting comfortable with his legs streched out the captain takes a long deep breath at the end of his pipe. "Its a strange situation and make no mistake, Beck and Inores are fine I assure you, Beck knows the situation, its the crew that needs talking too, but to tell you the truth they would be fine if Inores wasn't such a high minded bissybossy, brings it on himself, these are good lads, work hard, aint easy out on the ocean. If he was just a little less... well he's here for now. Which, I'm sure makes you wonder whats in it for me?" He takes a long exhale and closes his eyes a moment, With his fuzzy hair and full all over beard he looks like a red fur ball for a split second. Finally he continues "To tell you the truth, right now there is nothing in it for me, but I am repaying a debt, my life in fact you see"... He lauches into a story about when he was a nipper, "Not even made my tens" He was aboard a merchantman very similar to this one, his dad was the first mate, but one night, in the middle of the storm, a creature of the deep came up and the ship was no more, he clung on to a barrel, and in the morning the sun came and with it a grand elven ship, he alone survived, Inores was the captain of the ship, "A ship I tell thee that brings tears to a captains eyes". Inores was captain until this last month when even that fell to mother nature, I know not how. "Inores has called in his debt and has half my hold, I made him First mate to shut him up, But he thinks its half his ship whole, like, still what is an old 'tain to? That Elf saved my life, but I'll be glad to see the back of him!"
He goes on to say that in Djoshport ,Inores filled his half to the brim with weapons and armour, they'll fetch a lot in Fort Bolland and with one last load he'll have enough to set out on his own again. Everyone will be glad of that, Beck only wants to go to Grey Moor first for what reason he wont say. The captain says he'll lose a little because he'll have to sell the food in Fort Bolland rather than Bayhaven.

Turning to Tambor the Captain says "News from Bolland little quick hands?" You see a wink under his bushy face "Ey, but only the same as you and everyone, they say war is back on again, and us traders know where war is weapons sell high! But I know no more than that so no point asking me, what I do know is we'll be there in four days so we'll find out then."

Poison_Fish
2010-08-03, 10:42 PM
"Well, a life debt is worthy reason, I'll drink to that and a swift voyage" Liv takes a swig from her waterskin and continues to listen in on whatever conversation continues.

Anansi33
2010-08-03, 11:33 PM
"Aye, it's good ta be payin' off yer debts..." Orsik says somberly, taking a seat on his bunk, "But it sounds like Inores is jus' takin' advantage of ya."

Grogmir
2010-08-04, 02:53 AM
"A swift Voyage! Well I thank thee for the time and 'umouring me. You may be right Master Dwarf, but without I wouldn't be here to take advantage off, still thats enough troubles for one night, I'll take my leave and say good night"

Purlof leaves and night is over the boat, silence from the crew leaves only the creek of a rope as the night drifts slowly away.

Grogmir
2010-08-04, 02:38 PM
23nd of Suncrest, 1501

The night, still and stuffy passes without incident. Early shouts of sailours might have woken you, but there was nothing to worry about in the voices, just the shouts of a crew going about its business. The morning has brought a little wind and cloud so the Ocean's Majesty is rolling up and down but making much better time. Inores is on watch and barks orders distainfully to the crew, who bite their teeth and get on it.

DM OOC: What sort of thing would you do to accupy yourself?

After the lunch mess, the crew relax their work done for the day, some nap, some sing ditties and bang drums, some are engaged in petty betting games.

One Crew member is at Cups, to play pay; 5 gold - Perception DC16 - Win 20 Gold

A larger heavy set man by the name of Riz is challenging all comers to 'Pull the rope' (tug of war) is already beat two crew members. Anyone? He' cries, Anyone? pay 5 gold ATH DC20 - Win 20

Three of the older crew and the halfling chef are playing a game similar to 'go'. There seems to be 40 gold on the table, Then game seems quite indepth but they finish a game and invite you to join - INT or WIS check DC20 - Pays you rgold, win and win all are the halflings rules.

- - - - -

Later on with the crew he high sprits, Purlof sits on his barrel aloft the poop deck, keeping the wheel in check, spray from the waves breaks now and then over the deck. Then inores comes out of his room, the one 'fore of yours, and makes his way across the deck at which point a crew 'mumbles' an insult under his breath, Inores stops for a moment then walks on up to Purlof, "I demand that man's punishment, he insulted an officer!" Before Purlof can even reply the crew as one repeats the word "'Anchor!!!" Inores turns positively purple. The captain sighs and shouts to the crew "Right then you scally wags, still got the energy for a quick insult eh, well will soon beat that out of ya!, Run the sheets! Morning crew first" Strangly or maybe not the crew cheer at this order.

Running the Sheets, you quickly realising is climbing up the rearmast - across the rope that concects it to mainmast and the all the way to the top, at which point you swing back down, trying to hit the deck but not to hard. Its dangerous and tiring, for landlubbers maybe, and there's quickly a book going on which crew will be quickest, and who will win. A sailour comes up behind you and whispers "Anybets?"

Streetwise DC16
Using a quick joke or two and sly comment you find out that the morning crew normally wins.

See OOC on how to 'running the sheets'

HeroComplex
2010-08-04, 03:01 PM
Tambor

Tambor watches with glee the crew running through their "punishment." As the sailors continue their way across like so many monkys, he decides, "That don't look too hard! I'm going to give it a go!"

He lines up with the rest and starts off well, easily pulling his way to the top of the mast, but as he steps off onto the rope to cross between, the ship hits a bit of a swell and sends him tumbling! Too shocked by his fall, he barely has time to draw in a breath before he smacks into the wooden deck. Bruised and slightly chagrined, he picks himself up and rubs out his sore muscles where he fell.

"Well, now, that's what the fates give me for pilferin' before, eh?" He looks around to see if the others are taking it as lightly as he.

Turalisj
2010-08-04, 04:14 PM
Doivak walks over to Riz, bowing slightly. I would like to humbly accept your challenge of strength. His armor has been removed, tucked safely back in the cabin along with his blade, so he wont sink incase of an emergency within the ship.

[roll0] Athletics Check

Grogmir
2010-08-04, 04:35 PM
The captain comes over to our dear gnome, "Hey now Tambor - you were mighty brave but you're no sailour!" He says loud enough for all to hear,

----

Meanwhile Doivak takes up the challenge, the chalk line is marked and Riz looks at you confidently. The rope goes tight and both grunt with all their might, but to a great cheer from the crowd, in a flash Riz slips, his foot is pulled over the line before he can stand. 'HOORAA' cry the crew.

Doombringer
2010-08-05, 04:32 AM
The games are going on and Raiann seems to merely watch looking to Inores and laughing. Raiann then said half heartedly to any within hearing distance. "I have never met an elf before he has been the first...do you know any others like him?" Raiann looked to the rest of the crew and arched a brow curious if in fact they did..

Grogmir
2010-08-05, 07:45 AM
One of the Crew not rushing up and down the Masts says to you, "That your first Elf? Boy is that not a good impression, He's the most grumpy, bad mannered person i've ever met! Let alone elf, there normally as nice as pie, if a little high minded, but then their elfs right?" He smiles at you with a toothless grin.

Doombringer
2010-08-05, 12:02 PM
Raiann laughed at the sailor and smiled "Thank you that is good to know." He would then look to the captain who was making them do this exercise and then the insulted elf something did not sit well with the dragonborn...he could not place a finger on it though. Raiann brushed it off once more before he himself went to helping with some of the physical labor around the ship to pass the time.

Poison_Fish
2010-08-05, 05:16 PM
Liv mostly observed the games being played, not really feeling the need to join in. She observes the crew for the day, just listening into conversation and seeing what other gossip might be around.

Grogmir
2010-08-05, 05:49 PM
After a while and only a few fumbles the morning crew are the fastest running the sheets. But all the crew are tired out when the halfling rings the mess bell. You slip away in the evening, starting to feel the boredom of a voyage at sea.

Grogmir
2010-08-05, 05:57 PM
24th of Suncrest, 1501

You awake in the morning with the O-Maj rocking and rolling more than ever. Coming above decks you see the weather has taken a turn for the worst. The Sky above is Grey with deep low cloud. Squawls of Rain beat across the breaking, rolling seas. Northwards the sky is darker still, Black cloud are far of on the horizon.

Captain Purlof sits he his usual place strapped to his Barrel, Both his Strong Bare arms straining. He shouts to be heard "Fine day for sailing! Making fine time, be there this evening! Grab what Food you can now, might be harder later, seems we are in for a little blow!" He seems more excited than ever, come alive with his Red hair blown around in the wind.

Turalisj
2010-08-05, 06:14 PM
Doivak nodded and went to get some food. Infact, this seems to be the only food he's had all trip. He takes some bread and som vegetables, and picks out a single apple.

Grogmir
2010-08-05, 06:31 PM
The mess is a lot messier than before, a few crew are the golaith are shovelling in what food they can before getting up top, The atmosphere onboard has changed but its nothing more than a crew with wind in its sails and a ship to sail.

HeroComplex
2010-08-05, 06:55 PM
Tambor

Tambor seems relatively calm in the face of the impending storm. Doing his best to stay out of the way, he heads near the forecastle to feel the movement of the ship as it bobs up and down, as the storm picks up, he heads below decks to stay out of the water. From his belongings he produces a deck of cards, "Anyone care for a game? I promise to keep my hands above the table the whole time!"

Poison_Fish
2010-08-05, 07:07 PM
Liv heads into the mess to grab what food she can, avoiding the rush and picking out what she can. She stabilizes herself within the mess to eat calmly despite the rocking of the ship.
"I'll play, it'll help pass the time with this shakey ride anyhow."

Anansi33
2010-08-05, 08:11 PM
Quickly heading to the mess hall and grabbing armfuls of whatever foods left, Orsik attempts to sit down and keep his food on the table, smiling so broadly his head might split in two. Before digging in, he takes stock, "Lez's see, a orange, a few loafs of bread, a carrot not going ta eat that, and a piece of ham, not bad if I say so meself."

"Aye, I'll play too," he says in between mouthfuls of delicious ham when Tambor offers to play cards, "but I ought ta warn ye, I was a mean card player back at the hold."

Doombringer
2010-08-06, 05:38 AM
Raiann smiled hearing the storm standing up with the captain on the deck he laughs..seemingly not the only one looking forward to this..a thunder born barbarian..not only but a dragonborn who harnessed the power of lightening in his very soul. "Lovely weather we are having isn't it Captain." Raiann laughed and looked up eyes closing as he took in the crackingly thunder and welcomed the first drops of rain.

Turalisj
2010-08-06, 01:19 PM
Doivak's interest was caught by this strange game. I too, wish to join in. But please, you will have to explain the rules of the game. My citadel does not have much of what you would consider fun.

ooc: Rolls-
[roll0] Bluff
[roll1] Insight

Grogmir
2010-08-06, 08:45 PM
The morning passes with you holed up in the mess with the other off duty members of the crew that have nothing better to do, Even the goliath joins in. "Greetings, May I?". The large female, is clad very simple in what looks like a monks rope, A staff strapped to her back the only adornment. For such a large person she's very quiet, but the crew seem to like her and include her in their chatter, She eats twice as much.. but does the work of four! So she's alright by us..
The game proceeds and you quickly take out the crew, but in a daring bluff our dwarf ,Orsik, goes all in, with only two's showing but cleans out, our Human lass, Liv, with a full house.

(OOC you beat medium DCs - no more checks ta - I write it out over the next few posts.)

The crew continue to watch you and chat, after a while it comes onto the current weather, it seems a member of the crew, Crohlman, is a little mad, he's supposed to be the ships cleric, but all he's useful for is forseeing the weather, the rumour is that he told the captain it would get rough. "Ah but what does that mad fool know?" A crewmember seems to try and convince.

- - -

Raiann, The captain shouts to you over the wind, and intermitant rain, "Indeed Raiann! But nothing I or the ship minds, you to seem in your element too my dragonborn friend!"

Poison_Fish
2010-08-07, 01:52 AM
"Well, I guess that's the way it goes for this game" Liv shrugs and puts the cards down. "A fine hand you played, good game" she smiles at the dwarf as she makes sure all the chips are counted for.

With the crews concerns coming up, she speaks to them "Well, wouldn't it be a good idea to make everything secure within the ship so it doesn't fall apart or something? On that note, I better make sure my stuff is nice and tight, this ships been rockin' a bit much for my tastes"

Doombringer
2010-08-08, 11:21 AM
Raiann would simply move to sit and rest..awaiting the storm. He would look over the ocean and know it was not far away. He then watched the others playing cards picking up the game as they played learning the rules where he could just incase he ever got bored enough to gamble. "Fat chance." He muttered to himself with a slight chuckle.

HeroComplex
2010-08-08, 01:09 PM
Tambor

"Winnin' or losin', I just enjoy the game!" Tambor says as the festivities continue. "This is quite the bit of weather though. I'm looking forward to having some time on shore soon."

Anansi33
2010-08-08, 01:29 PM
"Haha, sorry lass," Orsik says to Liv with a big grin, "but I have me reputaetion ta keep. And I can't be lookin' foolish in fron' of all these sailors." He sweeps all his cards up like he's been doing it for years. Another big grin finds its way to his face. "Surely Moradin smiles upon me. I wouldn't be surprised if 'e's secretly the god of gamblin'!"

Grogmir
2010-08-10, 07:39 AM
Your making small talk and continuing the cards as the day seems to drag on when all of a sudden there's a great ruckas amongst the crew,

There's a lot of shouting and in the rabble its hard to see what the problem is...

But then you see, Beck and Norbert are being dragged off each other, Shouting insults, they are being held back by two crew members each, It seems somehow there is a girl involved. "You're not good enough for 'er!" "I was good enough last time in port!"

With the two not looking like calming down any, Inores shouts "STOP! This is no way to act on my.... On a ship! Captain do something!"

At this point a few crew start up the chant "Right to Fight! Right to Fight!"

Doombringer
2010-08-10, 10:09 AM
Raiann looks to the crew and steps forward before bellowing "Shut up the lot of you!" Raiann hated senseless conflict and looked to both of them and Inores..the captain had enough stress without having to deal with petty squabbles. "If you want to fight..then you both can fight me..how does that sound?" Raiann snarled his teeth as a crackle of thunder was heard over head and his eyes glared. The storm inside of the normally silent dragonborn coming forth.

Intimidate Roll:
[roll0]

Turalisj
2010-08-10, 12:25 PM
Doivak put a hand on the shoulder of the Dragonborn. Calm my friend. Perhaps we should hear these two out. He turned to Beck, looking into his eyes. Now my friend, please, calm down. Explain to us what is happening. He turned to the other sailor. And you friend, you too shall have time to share your side. If we wish to solve this dispute, violence will only lead to suffering. He looked towards Raiann and gave an....evil smile. Unless, of course, one of you two would wish to settle things with my scaled friend here, and the other with myself.

Poison_Fish
2010-08-10, 01:18 PM
Liv surveyed the crew from a distance and is merely content, for now, to observe.

Grogmir
2010-08-10, 03:33 PM
(Dm OOC: Doivak Roll a Dipolmacy or Intimidate roll please - which ever way you want to take it.)

There's minor scuffles, pushing and shoving going on, a couple of crew are near Inores after his 'my...' comment, a look from the Captain stops them doing anything aggressive, a few crew have turned towards Raiann and Doivak unsure what now to do, Beck and Norbert are still struggling to slug it out. The crew around them still chant 'Right to Fight'

Know History DC8
The 'Right to Fight' is a maritime custom to control grievences between crew, they are allowed to fight, the theory being to release any lasting tension (OOC A bit like Ice Hockey)

Insight DC16
Beck seems the more agressive, straining to get at Norbert, Norbert while angry, it just seems less animalistic.

Grogmir
2010-08-10, 03:52 PM
Captain Purlof Shouts "HOLDFAST!!! Calm down you buggers! Walking straight pass Inores, he looks down on the throng, What's this bother 'bout then? Beck, Norbert explain yourself, You men, pull in that rope for gods sake, back to stations!

But some of the crew are riled up, "Right to Fight captain"... " 'ere 'im out cap"

"Dintt I say to tell their tale? Now tie your tongues"

Beck, calmer now, but still red with anger steps forward, "I don't wish to fight you or your friend master dwarf... Captain, this is t'reason, Talla my lass, got a letter, she wants me home, baby you see... Just found out this scally has got same letter, near as! Had his flilthy hands..." Norbert explodes "FLILTY EH! Damn your hide, let me lamp 'im." "Your too good for her!" "Good another for 'eh last time in port!"

The situation threatens to explode again.

Turalisj
2010-08-10, 04:01 PM
Doivak sighed, a hand going to rest on the pommel of his scimitar. So, by what the two of you have been saying, Norbert here has been consorting with the woman of Beck's interest. He drew the scimitar out a bit, just enough so the metal blade could be seen shining. Do you wish to know what we do to adulterers back at the monestary? It is quiet simple realy, and the guilty never attempts their crime again. We take the genitalia of the adulterer and remove it, permanently.

ooc: Watch me roll a 1.
[roll0]

Grogmir
2010-08-11, 04:41 PM
Doivak your use of the word adulterers is picked up upon, it turns out neither are married to the lass. There is a little huffing and puffing and overall you've failed to completly defuse the situation. You can cut the tension with a knife, so the captain steps up "Right then you two want to fight, get to, up to the line with yous, the winner stays on board, the loser goes to this 'lady' and the wee one."

The fight, unarmed, starts evenly enough, Norbert managing to bob and weave away from the bigger Beck. But after a while its obvious Beck is slow enough or Norbert not quick enough and Becks strength starts to tell and he lands Norbert with a fearsome uppercut. Norbert and two of his teeth fly through the air, he's unconious. A crewman throws a bucket of slop over him and he awakes with a grin. Cheer me boys i'm gettin' married!!!. Beck walks off dispondent.

Just then a cry from above cuts through the crowd. "LAND HOY!"

A boy burst through from below 'Cap..."

And a crack of ligthning cracks above.

Turalisj
2010-08-11, 05:12 PM
Well, that's never a good sign. The githzerai said, heading to get his shield and crossbow ready.

Doombringer
2010-08-11, 06:11 PM
Raiann looked to Beck and shook his head before saying "No disrespect Beck but what if the child is not yours?" Raiann looked to him with a curious arching brow. "Then what my friend? Seems you are angry at the wrong one if ya was to ask me.." Raiann let Beck ponder on that for a moment before moving over to see on Norbert. He was not feeling sorry for the man but he did want to hear how in the nine hells they were duped into messing around with the same girl.

Poison_Fish
2010-08-11, 06:58 PM
Liv looks around alertly with the weather picking up. Noting one of the adventurers getting gear ready, she follows suit.

Grogmir
2010-08-12, 08:06 AM
Dm OCC - Doivak i made the dwarf mistake again. I'm sorry for some reason i've got a blind spot there.

The Young boy bumps into Raiann, Looking startled by his sheer size for a moment, before skuttling up to the Captain. "Cap, Cap.. its Crohlman, think you better have a gander". The captain takes one look at the Isle Of Mar Teraso appearing from the greyness of the day to the south.

"Well what is it boy? Follow on" Turning to the Dwarf (Defo the dwarf ;) ) "You might be able to help. The rest do you wish to have a look at my secret weapon?"

Doombringer
2010-08-12, 01:08 PM
Raiann getting no answer would just shrug it off not his problem. "Secret weapon ?" that perks Raiann's interest and soon he was moving with the other his gear still about his body. The weather turned harsh but what in the world made the boy run so quickly to the captain.

Poison_Fish
2010-08-12, 05:25 PM
"A weapon you say?" Liv pauses for a moment and thinks "Now I can understand some basic defense, but a true weapon here. I'm certainly curious".

Anansi33
2010-08-12, 09:56 PM
Orsik, a tad bit surprised from being called to help, asks, "Where do I need ta go?"

Grogmir
2010-08-13, 01:25 PM
You go below with the Captain and Beck follows,

He chats to you Raiann as you go "She's free to fine her mate true, but should a man not fight for his honour? Anyway she's his problem now" He says. He looks dejected.

You follow the captain down through the mess, through the hold, down to the lower hold, all is dark and damp down here, life aboard a merchantman.

You enter a small room, the smell is added to with sweat & urine. The boy that ran to the captain sits next to an old man, he nurses him, padding his brow and trying to lend his frail hands to the bowl of stew and bread that is splattered across the simple wooden table. The old man doesn't seem to notice your entrance, you think that this is probably due to the eyes, pearl white he is obviously blind, but he doesn't even hear you.
"Crohlman, used to be the ships cleric, now all he's useful for is predicting the weather, sometimes at least. He has the touch of melora on him". Gently but firmly like a farther to Crohlman he says "What of it, talk Crohlman"

Lightening, Crack, Boom, Scared, Rolled, food, Drink, Brick" The boy pours a drop of water, but in his thrashing he spills some"wet wet, mages. Gooooona blow, hard, seas, hard and wet, smelling, stinking, archives, man the hatchs cap, splice the boom, not going like us, drink, water, wet, wet, noone like us,wet,wet You notice his hand sits in his stew.

Turalisj
2010-08-13, 01:43 PM
A seer.... Doivak says softly, having followed the captain down. The man has the inner eye?

Grogmir
2010-08-13, 01:56 PM
"Aye thats one word for it I guess, mad is another I've heard, but he's been true enough for the crew and I to abide him"

Doombringer
2010-08-13, 05:27 PM
Raiann looked to Beck and shook his head. " I suppose..now to this secret weapon." Raiann was interested but when the door was opened it was entirely not what he expected. The words that flowed from the mouth of seer as he was called made no sense to Raiann but then again he was no master of the divine. "What does it all mean Captain?"

Anansi33
2010-08-14, 07:51 AM
Orsik quietly walks up to where Crohlman is laying and gently takes his hand out of the stew. "How long has he been like this?"

Grogmir
2010-08-16, 04:35 AM
"I do not know, this is a little more garballed then we normal get, But from experience it seems we are in for a spot more of wind, he always gets excited when before a storm"

Orsik, The boy answers you, "Been like it two years now, feel into the sea one day and when he came up, was passed out, but this is worse than i've ever seen, I've never seen him so agitated before"

The ship continues to roll as you look apon this feeble old man, who mew's to himself between words that don't seem to mean anything.

Doombringer
2010-08-16, 11:46 PM
Raiann looked to the others and just shook his head. "I am going back up top tell me if you need anything?" The big broad shoulders of Raiann turn and leave going back up to watch the crew make ready for land. "Secret weapon is a bloody seer..what did all that jibbering mean anyway" Raiann was talking to himself more than others.

Grogmir
2010-08-17, 09:31 AM
You all stare at the old man for a little while longer - hoping his babbling will turn into more sense, but its clear that you'll get nothing 'meaningful' from him in the near future and his assistant looks at you all and asks you to leave.

You follow Raiann back above deck you see the sky is getting darker and has taken on a green tinge, The sea is getting highier and highier, even some of the crew and looking a little ill. But the crew seem confident that they will make land fall before the storm hits fully.

Grogmir
2010-08-17, 05:43 PM
The captain looks after the ship as it rolls towards the north coast of Mar Teraso, a few hours pass and the crew start to ease off as they now sure they'll reach port before the storms hits, the talk start turning to a little shore leave and they girls in Fort Bolland.

Suddenly the Man in the crews nest calls the alarm! Everyone rushes afore, as you approach slower now, you see the town is laid to waste, the lighthouse is dark, the walls smashed in places and the docks are smoking. A lone, crude wooden watchtower has been built on the coast, it has a symbol painted on the side in white.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/images/flag.gif

Fort Bolland has been defeated

Poison_Fish
2010-08-18, 01:43 AM
"Well... this ain't a happy greeting at all" Liv looks towards the Captain and speaks
"Captain, we may want to skidaddle out of here" with that Liv heads below decks and gets her gear ready and arms up fully in case they run into trouble.

Turalisj
2010-08-18, 01:46 AM
I want to check it out.... I have a bad feeling about what that seer was saying below deck... And it has nothing to do with the weather. Doivak said, clutching the railing of the ship. If my hunch is correct, then the elf lands have been hit by war.. And not in a nice way.

HeroComplex
2010-08-18, 08:56 AM
Tambor

"What in the bloody 9 hells is that?!" Tambor shouts as he scrambles to the rail to have a better look.

Anansi33
2010-08-18, 10:00 AM
"Aye, I second goin' down there," Orsik says to the Captain. "There might be survivors we're duty-bound ta help." This doesn't look good, not good at all.

Doombringer
2010-08-18, 03:13 PM
Raiann looked to the rest of the people before grabbing his gear and saying "I second going down there..if nothing else we might be able to find out more about what happened." Raiann then sat waiting for the go ahead eager to get on land and stretch his legs a bit.

Grogmir
2010-08-20, 08:21 AM
The Captain takes the Ocean's Majesty closer to shore, as you approach the flag's over the city are clear. An Eye with a Thorn through it, you see a guard, human looking raise the alarm on the Watertower, bowman rush out, a bell rings in town and you see men in armour approach the shore.

It doesn't take an insight check to realise that you welcome is not going to be friendly. Whatever war this town was fighting has obviously taking a turn for the worse.

Inores speaks up "Captain, the load, the weapons..." Its clear that the elf is thinking that your welcome might be made worse by the fact the ship was supposed to be supplying the enemies of the conquers.

"Turn her about! Head North by North East" You (He gestures to the group, Beck and Inores) into my cabin. As you make the way to his cabin the ship slowly turns in the rising swell of the land. You and the Captain take one long look and the quickly approching storm.

"I'm afraid we cannot land, looks like you will be with us a little longer" He proceeds to take you through the seamanship of sailing in a storm, turn into wind, reduce sail, get away from the leeshore etc. "You are not sailours but you do have strength and courage my crew do not, we will need your help before getting out the other side"
- - - -

"Save the Ocean's Majesty" - Skill Challenge

Athletics: Help the Crew on the sails
Heal: Keep the crew in tip top shape
Endurance: Man the pumps!

- - -

You follow the captain back on deck, the sky is almost jet black now, the wind howls around the ships, each waves sends a torrent of water flying over the deck. The ship creeks and groans. The captain barks out orders

"Take down that Mainsail! Quickly now! LIVELY YOU SCUM! UP UP UP!!!"

He goes over to the wheel and straps himself to the barrell, you fellows, kindly make yourself useful or get belows decks.

HeroComplex
2010-08-20, 09:13 AM
Tambor

Tambor scrabbles across the deck and begins climbing to the tops to help adjust the sails. As the deck begins to heave to and fro, he clings to the stays, deftly making his way up.

He wraps his small legs around a thinner cable and begins to haul in the large, wet canvas as quickly as he can, showing much more strength than his small stature would imply. He is serious and determined, not speaking much for fear of distracting the crew in this perilous circumstance.

Poison_Fish
2010-08-20, 07:26 PM
Liv joins the line of crew to aid in pulling the sails down.

[roll0]

Turalisj
2010-08-20, 08:35 PM
Doivak heads to the pumps, putting his muscles to use.

[roll0]

Doombringer
2010-08-21, 01:50 AM
He moved over with Doivak looking to the pumps and giving it a good heave trying to help as best he could "Here we go!"

Rolls:

[roll0]

Anansi33
2010-08-21, 08:36 AM
Moving quickly, Orsik runs against the harsh wind to the pumps and starts pumping out water as soon as the dark foamy waves crash it aboard.

Endurance
[roll0]