PDA

View Full Version : Making Multiple Attacks Count (3.5)

Everyman
2010-07-30, 07:43 AM
Hello, everyone.

For fun, I've been tinkering around with a TWF build for about a week now. Here's the basic idea I have...

Barbarian 2 (Whirling Frenzy variant - UA) / Warblade 4 / Bloodclaw Master 2
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 15, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 9
Feats:
Human: Two-Weapon Fighting
1st: Extra Rage (houseruled to apply to the Frenzy variant)
3rd and 6th: None settled on yet

The idea is to maximize the number of attacks per round I get, obviously. As of now, my 8th level build can four attacks per round while in a frenzy (five if I take Imp. TWF at 6th level). In addition, all but that last attack is at my full base attack bonus. My problem is simple: What kind of abilities or feats work great with characters who make multiple attacks per round? In theory, it would be something passive that gives you benefit for every attack you make. Forget weapon enhancements to damage like frost. That's an obvious choice.

One idea I had was to take gain the Devoted Spirit stance that causes you or an ally within 30 ft to gain 2 HP with every successful attack (can't remember the name). At high levels, that could be anywhere between 12- 32 of free HP per round. Of course, I'd have to either take a level in crusader or use up two feats to make that happen.

What kind of ideas can you guys think of?

EDIT:

I should make this clear. I don't really need help with the following...
1) Extra damage (weapon bonuses, sneak attack, etc)
2) Help with TWF overall (TWF chain feats, ambidexterity or whatnot)
3) Pounce (not really allowed)

What I'm looking for are abilities or feats that get better the more times you use them. In short, we're looking for combos. For example, the wounding ability is truly nasty if you're making 7-8 attacks per round. Likewise, the Iron Heart Tactical feat allows you to crank up extra damage for your next attack (great for fighting opponents with high DR).

Frog Dragon
2010-07-30, 07:59 AM
You need pounce. I can't find the whirling frenzy variant right now. It continues to elude me, even in the SRD. But if Whirling Frenzy replaces Rage, then the Complete Champion Lion Totem Barbarian can the slapped on too. If you can do that, do it. Pounce is even more valuable than normal with a TWF build.

Ranos
2010-07-30, 08:22 AM
Get some totemist levels, add a ****load of natural attacks to that attack routine. And yes, get pounce from the barbarian variant.
Then all you have to do is find a reasonable source of bonus damage, which will get multiplied with every attack. Arcane strike, bard's inspire courage, there are a lot of possibilities.

Milskidasith
2010-07-30, 08:26 AM
Craven, Assassin's Stance, and Shadow Blade. Make all your attacks deal 2d6+ECL+Dex Mod in damage!

Greenish
2010-07-30, 08:44 AM
Needs moar Revenant Blade.

Barb2/ranger2/warblade1/revenant blade5/fighter1/warblade+X, or something. Revenant Blade's capstone turns "meh" TWF into turbocharged THW. Ranger2 and Gloves of the Balanced Hand (or something like that) gets you TWF and Imp. TWF without having to boost Dex.

Only problem is that RB is elf-only. (The bloody racists!) :smallmad:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-30, 10:48 AM
I think you can also use it with the Iron Heart Tactical feat (Stormward Warrior IIRC)

Use the option Combat rithm to crank up damage bonus (make a full round attack of touch attacks that doesn't deal damage, for every attack you land on the enemy you get a +5 bonus on damage rolls againts the enemy you used the Combat rithm on)

gallagher
2010-07-30, 10:53 AM
I don't know if two weapon rend can be taken at your level, but try and get that when you can. Bonus damage is always a plus.

Other than that, maybe invest a feat to get assassins stance? Or maybe gt improved critical because that's better than buying two keen weapons

Zieu
2010-07-30, 11:35 AM
If you're a Human Fighter, I think you get a few more feats than that...

Another feat at first (Normally 1 for any char, +1 for being human, +1 for fighter) A bonus feat at 2nd level and then another at 4th, in addition to the ones you have there. A 6th level fighter should have 7 feats, probably 8 feats by 8th level.

Two-Weapon Pounce lets you use both weapons on a charge attack, I found that one useful.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-30, 11:37 AM
If you're a Human Fighter, I think you get a few more feats than that...

Another feat at first (Normally 1 for any char, +1 for being human, +1 for fighter) A bonus feat at 2nd level and then another at 4th, in addition to the ones you have there. A 6th level fighter should have 7 feats, probably 8 feats by 8th level.

Two-Weapon Pounce lets you use both weapons on a charge attack, I found that one useful.

Lion barbarians (complete divine) get to full attack on charge attacks. I find that slightly more useful =P

Frog Dragon
2010-07-30, 11:39 AM
Lion barbarians (complete divine) get to full attack on charge attacks. I find that slightly more useful =P
Actually, it's Complete Champion. And I mentioned this already. :smalltongue:

Snake-Aes
2010-07-30, 11:42 AM
Wow, Saged and mismatched.
Ugh >.>

I still make the point to remember that it's a better deal than TWP O.o

Jota
2010-07-30, 12:21 PM
The Lion Totem Barbarian from the Complete Champion has been mentioned. Pounce is ever-so-worthwhile.

You might consider forgoing Assassin's Stance. Little point in burning a feat on something like that when you'll get Blood in the Water through being a warblade, and both of those aren't really things you switch out of much.

If you end up getting Combat Reflexes for whatever reason, Vexing Flanker offers an additional +2 to hit when flanking. If you do end up focusing on flanking you might get Assassin's Stance, get Craven, and then dual-wield shortswords of subtlety. They're pretty cheesy, but that additional +4 to-hit is a godsend/pushes you over the edge, depending on your perspective/how well optimized you are.

Reckless Offense also offers an additional +2 to hit at the expense of -4 to your AC, so it's not a trade-off everyone can make.

If you ever get Improved Unarmed Strike you can pick up Snap Kick for an extra attack. Taking two levels of monk cost you one BAB but nets you two bonus feats as well as the ability to flurry (and good saves). You can get Combat Reflexes from your second monk level (for the aforementioned Vexing Flanker) instead of taking it normally. If you end of getting Robilar's Gambit and Stormguard Warrior (a popular TWF tactic) then Combat Reflexes makes sense. You could also do an unarmed swordsage for IUS (presumably), which nets you maneuvers (and Weapon Focus) in place of the bonus feats mentioned below.

You can even get Combat Reflexes with only one level with the Unearthed Arcana's Invisible Eye (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/UA:Invisible_Eye) ACF. You could also choose the Sleeping Tiger (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/UA:Sleeping_Tiger) style, then abandon your style at level two, choosing Combat Reflexes, which nets you IUS, Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes, and +3 to all saves in exchange for +1 BAB.

Alternatively, you could just dip fighter or psywar when you need feats.

If you do go psywar, you can then go into War Mind. Full BAB, some psionics, and sweeping strike, which lets you apply your attacks equally to two squares you threaten. Awesome if enemies are bunched (or are Large or bigger and take up more than one space).

lsfreak
2010-07-30, 12:36 PM
You need pounce. I can't find the whirling frenzy variant right now. It continues to elude me, even in the SRD. But if Whirling Frenzy replaces Rage, then the Complete Champion Lion Totem Barbarian can the slapped on too. If you can do that, do it. Pounce is even more valuable than normal with a TWF build.

Just google Whirling Frenzy (or search on the SRD) and do a text-search.

I've got this build going now, aiming for Stormguard/Robilar's. It's fun, though until you hit Stormguard Warrior it's light on damage (though you should be getting it soon I think), and thanks to the levels in BCM, you can't pick up Robilar's until 15th level. Also, you need to carefully think about how many levels in BCM you want, versus getting (potentially) better maneuvers via straight warblade. As you'll primarily be using boosts or counters, 3rd level is a potential cutoff.

Morbis Meh
2010-07-30, 12:43 PM
If I am making a character that uses two weapons I usually give them ambidexterity to remove the remainder of the penalties for offhand fighting and it will also let you use heavy weapons in both hands. All it requires is a Dex of 15 so your barb can get it.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-30, 12:46 PM
If I am making a character that uses two weapons I usually give them ambidexterity to remove the remainder of the penalties for offhand fighting and it will also let you use heavy weapons in both hands. All it requires is a Dex of 15 so your barb can get it.

Hmm...3.5 doesn't have that.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-30, 12:48 PM
I can't find the whirling frenzy variant right now. It continues to elude me, even in the SRD.
It's page 66 of Unearthed Arcana, or online here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) (also the first link that shows up if you do a Search for "whirling" at d20srd.org).

Morbis Meh
2010-07-30, 12:50 PM
Hmm...3.5 doesn't have that.

Really... lol well my bad I am a newbie player anyway and I found it in an book (pdf) called Tomb of Feats I thought it was 3.5, Oh well you learn something new everyday.

lsfreak
2010-07-30, 02:27 PM
Really... lol well my bad I am a newbie player anyway and I found it in an book (pdf) called Tomb of Feats I thought it was 3.5, Oh well you learn something new everyday.

Near as I can tell, at least the one I found, it's a collection of feats from 3.0 books (including OA and Ravenloft) and a few 3rd party sources, collected by a group of players. As a result, a good number of them have been updated/changed.

Douglas
2010-07-30, 02:38 PM
That's probably some combination of 3rd party and compiling old 3.0 feats. In official 3.5 rules, Ambidexterity was removed and its old benefit incorporated into Two-Weapon Fighting.

I know you said to forget about weapon enhancements because they're obvious, but there's one that I think deserves special note for per-attack benefit: Wounding.

Everyman
2010-07-30, 03:37 PM
Wow. More replies than I expected.

First and foremost, yes. I know about pounce. Sadly, we don't have that book in our group. Even if we did, I doubt my DM would let it slide (he and I agree that pounce is a bit much). Besides, Bloodclaw Master gives me psuedo-pounce (two attacks on a charge) which is close enough for me.

Second, I understand that damage bonuses (sneak attack, rend) are good. I should have made it more clear that I wasn't looking for bonuses so much as nifty tricks for utility. I'll edit my first post to reflect that. Thanks for the ideas, though.

Dusk Eclipse: Thank you. That's what I'm looking for. Something that gets better the more times you attack in a round.

douglas: Wounding...dang, I didn't even think of that. That's truly nasty. Thanks.

Oh, and to those who aren't aware, Bloodclaw master allows you to ignore the -2 penalty for fighting with two weapons as long as you use Tiger Claw weapons or daggers (all are light weapons). Ambidexterity (third party or otherwise) isn't needed. Thanks anyway.

Krazddndfreek
2010-07-30, 03:39 PM
A monk dip and snap kick could net you two extra attacks. I don't know if that helps, but...

EDIT: But for making them count, sneak attack and other precision is awesome. You could also get searing or burning blade from desert wind.

Amphetryon
2010-07-30, 07:52 PM
Landshark Boots.

Fax Celestis
2010-07-30, 08:02 PM
If you're using Bloodclaw Master, you need to take Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Also look into potions of girallon's blessing. Possibly consider dropping two levels into Totemist to pick up the Girallon Arms soulmeld, and bind it to your totem slot.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-30, 08:03 PM
This is a cheesy tirck that will probably won't fly but I will mention it for colmpleteness sake, get the boomerang daze feat (from an eberron book, I want to say the campaing setting but I am not sure) each hit now forces the enemy to make a save to avoid neing dazed (one of the most useful status condition to inflict) with a DC of 10+damage dealt.

Now you are probably wondering why a feat that specifies boomerangs would be useful to you, get the aptitude enchantment (ToB) which lets you use weapon specific feats on the weapon enchanted.

Note: There is debate on wether this trick works, personally I would say yes but there are many arguments againts that.

Now for a less cheesy advice look for ways to give rider effects to your attacks... right now I can't remember other ways but I am sure there must be a way.

Amphetryon
2010-07-30, 08:42 PM
This is a cheesy tirck that will probably won't fly but I will mention it for colmpleteness sake, get the boomerang daze feat (from an eberron book, I want to say the campaing setting but I am not sure) each hit now forces the enemy to make a save to avoid neing dazed (one of the most useful status condition to inflict) with a DC of 10+damage dealt.

Now you are probably wondering why a feat that specifies boomerangs would be useful to you, get the aptitude enchantment (ToB) which lets you use weapon specific feats on the weapon enchanted.

Note: There is debate on wether this trick works, personally I would say yes but there are many arguments againts that.

Now for a less cheesy advice look for ways to give rider effects to your attacks... right now I can't remember other ways but I am sure there must be a way.
Given it's Eberron specific, and Eberron's Dragonmarked book has a Feat chain to gain immunity to Daze, it's not that bad. It's bad in an environment where that immunity or the ability to save against or remove a Daze/Stun effect (like Quick Recovery or IHS) are not available.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-30, 08:58 PM
The cheese I was refering to was the aptitude enxhantment trick, and daze is still a good status to inflict, the ways to get immunity to it are resource intensive AFAIK (IHS is feat intensive to any now-warblade)