PDA

View Full Version : Well, This Sucks

Penguinsushi
2010-07-30, 10:55 AM
Hey all.

Lost my job today. Rather Unexpected. "position eliminated". BS.

:smallfrown:

Anyway, all thoughts/prayers/etc appreciated. You all have always been awesome.

Thanks,

~PS

RabbitHoleLost
2010-07-30, 10:57 AM
Oh, man, I'm sorry Penguin.
Jeez, that sucks so bad.
You have my best wishes and hopes

Form
2010-07-30, 11:02 AM
Aw crap. :smallfrown:

This doesn't exactly help you out much, but I wish you the best and hope you'll get another (maybe even better) job soon.

Mr. Mud
2010-07-30, 11:04 AM
Does not feel good man. So sorry to hear that. I do hope you find something else soon :smalleek::smallfrown:

doliest
2010-07-30, 11:06 AM
That sucks hard. All I can really say is that hopefully you find a better, more stable position soon, eh? Here's hoping.

Strawberries
2010-07-30, 11:07 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that, Penguin.
I can only offer a virtual hug. *hugs*

Hope you'll find another job soon.

Moonshadow
2010-07-30, 11:08 AM
Does unexpected mean with no severance pay, or whatever they call it? It's that word starting with r... Redundant! Thats the one. Brain no workies too good at 2 am.

Anyways, if they've just kicked you to the curb without so much as a 'goodbye, don't call us, we'll call you', surely there is someone you can talk to about this? (Ombudsman or union or something? Don't know how it works wherever you're from)

Anyways, you have whatever good will and best wishes I can muster at 2 am. Good luck~

Keld Denar
2010-07-30, 11:09 AM
Bummer bro. I was in your shoes about 9 months ago. I was unemployed for about 6 before I got the job I have now been at for 3 months. Its rough and frustrating. What field were you in? Do you have any good prospects? Did you do any productive networking you can tap? If you are technical, you can do what I did, find a technical temp staffing agency. You'll probably take a pay cut, but after 3ish months you'll probably get hired by whoever you get placed with. I have my 3 month evaluation on Monday, and I'll probably get an offer for full time!

Zherog
2010-07-30, 12:58 PM
You may not wish to hear this sort of thing right now, but... this could be a blessing in the long run. I was in your exact position in Spring of '03 -- I was laid off because my position was eliminated. Extremely stressful -- a mortgage to pay, two young children to feed/clothe/etc, utilities, all that stuff.

Well, it was one of the two best things that ever happened in my career. It's hard to see it when you're living through it, of course. But hang in there, and who knows where you'll be in a few years. And in the short term I'll keep my mental fingers crossed for you. :)

Trog
2010-07-30, 01:05 PM
Ah crap. :smallfrown:

That sucks man. I had the same thing happen at my last job. I hope you can find another position soon.

Recaiden
2010-07-30, 01:51 PM
I'm very sorry for you.

I hope you find a replacement job soon.

Moff Chumley
2010-07-30, 01:54 PM
Good luck, man. :smallfrown:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-30, 02:55 PM
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. :frown:

I hope you get a better one soon, I send you all my best wishes.

Alarra
2010-07-30, 02:56 PM
awwww, that sucks. :smallfrown: *offers many huggles*

pendell
2010-07-30, 02:57 PM
Hey all.

Thanks,

~PS

Prayers. Great Scott, I KNOW how much that stinks.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-30, 03:14 PM
Wow... I am sorry to hear that....my prayers and thoughts for you.

xPANCAKEx
2010-07-30, 03:56 PM
whats the deal with redundancy payment from the job?

and also - dont wait to get on with the job hunting. Keep positive

Mountain_Faerie
2010-07-30, 09:30 PM
You know we're always here for you. I'm going to talk to a man about a space tomorrow (assuming he's there). First Friday is next weekend, so maybe we can throw something together this week and start getting our names out. I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow.

More hugs and hugs...

Cealocanth
2010-07-30, 09:37 PM
Sorry Penguinsushi. You have my apology.

Would it help that your name makes me think of some animae character with big spiky hair screaming Penguinsushi while he bursts into flames?

Marnath
2010-07-30, 11:11 PM
I'll also chime in to say sorry dude. :smallfrown: I feel your pain, i got fired and have been unemployed looking for work for two years now. May you have better luck seeking employment than i do.:smallsmile:

Egiam
2010-07-30, 11:49 PM
That can't be a good feeling.

Do you have any ideas for a new job? What other skills do you have?

Rawhide
2010-07-31, 12:18 AM
Sorry Penguinsushi. You have my apology.

Saying "I'm sorry" is the same as saying "I apologise". Except when someone has just lost their job...

I think what you meant was "Sorry Penguinsushi. You have my sympathy", which is exactly what I'm going to say.

I'm sorry Penguinsushi. You have my sympathies. I hope that it doesn't become a major setback.

Remember to start looking for work immediately. A person is most employable the day after they have quit/lost their job. You need to get looking right away.

rakkoon
2010-07-31, 01:06 AM
Yeah Penguindude, that seriously sucks. Good luck with the job hunting, as has been said above, perhaps it's a blessing in disguise and you'll finally find that dream job.

Zeb The Troll
2010-08-02, 02:42 AM
I wish there was some way that I could help you work this out, Sushi.

You have our contact info. If there's any way we can help, please let us know.

For a positive look, in the times I've spoken with you about what you do, you seem to be impressively qualified, so hopefully this translates into many new opportunities for you.

Xyk
2010-08-02, 02:55 AM
That does suck. It sucks loads.

Good luck, man, keep your chin up. It'll all be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

Killer Angel
2010-08-02, 03:18 AM
You may not wish to hear this sort of thing right now, but... this could be a blessing in the long run. I was in your exact position in Spring of '03 -- I was laid off because my position was eliminated. Extremely stressful -- a mortgage to pay, two young children to feed/clothe/etc, utilities, all that stuff.

Pretty much this.
I know it won't help you, but some years ago in my office a friend of mine was fired, while I kept my job.
Now, he's in a better economic position than me, so don't lose the hope. Good luck.

Penguinsushi
2010-08-02, 12:22 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, prayers, encouragement, personal stories and advice, everyone.

And I do mean everyone. I'd respond to you all personally, but that would be a) long and b) annoying - so you'll have to settle for my cop-out of a generic catch-all.

The timing on this isn't particularly great, but hopefully this does all turn out for the best.

Thanks again, you all are the best.

~PS

Brewdude
2010-08-02, 08:02 PM
I cannot stress this enough

GO APPLY FOR UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS NOW!!!!!!

Do not wait, do not pass go, get your application in now, check the boxes you know they want checked the way they want them checked. Position Emliminated means you were Layed Off, not Fired, which means UI benefits.
Don't wait till next week, or the weekend. Do it NOW. Fight through the depression and get it done. If you had applied for them that friday, your benefits would have started THIS WEEK.

ZombieRockStar
2010-08-02, 08:06 PM
Aww, that does suck, man. Best of luck in finding another asap.

EmeraldRose
2010-08-02, 08:19 PM
Sushi, Andre finally got a good job after being out of the AF for 3 years. In that time, he had a business and lost it, was laid off from a job, and was working on a week by week contract.

Know that as much as this sucks horribly for you and your family, no matter how long it takes for you to find something new, the Playground will be here to support you, like everyone did for us!

Good luck to you, and don't ever give up!!!

*hugs*

nicoledc109
2010-08-03, 04:57 AM
Hey all.

Thanks,

~PS

Thanks for sharing.

Baltoss
2010-08-05, 01:20 PM
I'd say the title says it all. I'm really sorry to hear about your job loss.

Supagoof
2010-08-05, 03:00 PM
PS - I'm very sorry to hear about your job. If there's anything I can do personally, please do not hesitate to ask.

I know you live near Kingsport, and I know the corporation (http://www.unitedhealthgroup.com/) I work for has a site/call-center there, so if you want a referral just send me a PM. Looking at the career opportunites page (http://careers.unitedhealthgroup.com/) I found we have ~31 openings at that site right now (roughly because some include that site but are nationwide as many positions work from home).

Best of luck my friend.