PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Eberron] Blade of Orien Build

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-30, 12:41 PM
I am making a possible replacement character for an ECL 12 Eberron Game.

I am a bit sick of playing skillmonkeys and I don't want to deal with all the hassle of playing a spellcaster/manifester/soulmelder/binder/etc so that leaves the role of beatstick open.

I have always liked the idea of a teleport by attacker and AFAIK the only ways to get it are the crinti shadow marouder, Tellflamar shadow lord and the blade of Orien; since this is an Eberron game the former are not allowed.

I am set into stone to take the 10 levels of Blade of Orien and to keep ToB to a minimum (I know they are the best thing to happen to melee in 3.5 but since Blade of Orien doesn't advance or grants manouber I would prefer to avoid it if I can except for a dip or maybe some feats)

Some of my random mussing include being a half elf to take both blade of Orien and Revenant blade (we houseruled that Half elfs choose to count as both humans and elf).

Taking a few levels of warblade to get the Stormguar Warrior tactical feat (channel the storm is very sexy)

So any suggestions?

Keld Denar
2010-07-30, 12:55 PM
IIRC, BoO's abilities are all Cha based. This leads me to suggest something Cha based to go with it. Hexblade is my first though, if you can use Mr. Mearles' fix. Pick up 4 levels of that for the Dark Companion. BoO has a neat ability to teleport OTHER people, in an offensive manner, so having Dark Companion and Hex allows you to lower their saves in a way to soften them up to teleport them off a cliff or something. Maybe splash in 3ish levels of Binder with Improved Binding to get you some Foculor action.

Other than that, get a big 2hander like a Glaive, preferably enchanted with Sudden Stunning (DMGII) for more Cha synergy.

Edit: Don't forget about the Quicken Dragonmark feat to Quicken your Dimension Step ability. That would let you make a triple full attack, since BoO normally allows you to do it as a move action, you can port 5' as a standard, full attack, port 5' as a move, full attack, then port 5' as a swift and full attack a 3rd time. Its only 3/day, but its great when you need a little extra nova.

Adumbration
2010-07-30, 12:57 PM
In what book is this Blade of Orien? I must confess I've never heard of him.

Keld Denar
2010-07-30, 12:58 PM
Its in Dragonmarked, IIRC, along with Black Dog and a couple other really neat PrCs.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-30, 01:07 PM
Edit: Don't forget about the Quicken Dragonmark feat to Quicken your Dimension Step ability. That would let you make a triple full attack, since BoO normally allows you to do it as a move action, you can port 5' as a standard, full attack, port 5' as a move, full attack, then port 5' as a swift and full attack a 3rd time. Its only 3/day, but its great when you need a little extra nova.

In the same vein, if you're already going into Warblade for a few levels, take Martial Study to pick up Shadow Blink when you get to a high enough level, so you could do this more than 3/day.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-30, 02:35 PM
Keld: hmmm debuffing.... I guess I could have use a feat in imperious comand to go with all the debuffing by Hexblade.... now that would make Oriens wrath more useful.

Also I don't know if I should go binder, my gut instinc tells me to avoid loosing BAB.

tyckspoon
2010-07-30, 02:56 PM

Doesn't work- the tele-pounce ability involved specifies that you must use Dimension Leap with the class's Swift Leap ability, so only the one does as a Move action will provide the full attack. The Shadow X teleports won't trigger it either, due to that same very specific wording, but Tome of Battle is still recommended; you'll have an open Standard action after move-teleporting to your target, and ToB Strikes are going to be your best bets for making that action count.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-30, 03:16 PM
Doesn't work- the tele-pounce ability involved specifies that you must use Dimension Leap with the class's Swift Leap ability, so only the one does as a Move action will provide the full attack. The Shadow X teleports won't trigger it either, due to that same very specific wording, but Tome of Battle is still recommended; you'll have an open Standard action after move-teleporting to your target, and ToB Strikes are going to be your best bets for making that action count.

Wonderful. I just took a look at the actual class description, and I'm reminded why I wasn't all that impressed with Blade of Orien last time I saw it. This would really work better as a 5-level class, or at least one that doesn't wait until 10th level to give you something you can get much faster via other PrCs, campaign setting restrictions notwithstanding.

Anyway, given that you won't be able to use it as a swift action, you can still get it twice per round using a double move action. This still makes ToB your best bet, actually, as then you can focus on boosts so you can buff as a swift action and attack with double moves...and going warblade is looking even better, since the standard+swift recovery still lets you get your move action leap/full attack in.