PDA

View Full Version : Improving Weapon Specialization (making it as good as it was in 2e)

Human Paragon 3
2010-07-30, 12:58 PM
In 2e weapon specialization was a special feature of the fighter giving him something great that no other class got. One of the best features of it was giving the fighter more attacks per round faster.

In 3.5 weapon spec. is a trap feat that is next to useless beyond low levels. Here's my fix to the weapon focus/specialization line of feats to bring it back to the glory days of old.

Weapon Focus
(Same as before)

Weapon Specialization [General]

Choose one type of weapon for which you have already selected the Weapon Focus feat. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple as your weapon for purposes of this feat. You gain certain benefits when using this weapon.
Prerequisites
Proficiency with selected weapon, Weapon Focus with selected weapon, fighter level 2nd.
Benefit
You gain a +2 bonus on all damage rolls you make using the selected weapon. Additionally, while you wield the selected weapon, you may make an extra attack on the first round of combat and every odd numbered round of combat thereafter (3rd, 5th etc). This extra attack is made at your highest base attack bonus and is a free action to perform.
Special
You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.

A fighter may select Weapon Specialization as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Greater Weapon Focus [General]

Choose one type of weapon for which you have already selected Weapon Focus. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple as your weapon for purposes of this feat.
Prerequisites
Proficiency with selected weapon, Weapon Focus with selected weapon, fighter level 4th.
Benefit
You gain a +2 bonus on all attack rolls you make using the selected weapon. This bonus stacks with other bonuses on attack rolls, including the one from Weapon Focus (see below).
Special
You can gain Greater Weapon Focus multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.
A fighter must have Greater Weapon Focus with a given weapon to gain the Greater Weapon Specialization feat for that weapon.
A fighter may select Greater Weapon Focus as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Greater Weapon Specialization [General]

Choose one type of weapon for which you have already selected Weapon Specialization. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple as your weapon for purposes of this feat.
Prerequisites
Proficiency with selected weapon, Greater Weapon Focus with selected weapon, Weapon Focus with selected weapon, Weapon Specialization with selected weapon, fighter level 6th.
Benefit
You gain a +4 bonus on all damage rolls you make using the selected weapon. This bonus stacks with other bonuses on damage rolls, including the one from Weapon Specialization (see below). Additionally, when wielding the selected weapon, you may make one extra attack each round. This attack is made at your highest base attack bonus and is a free action to perform. This replaces (does not stack with) the extra attack granted by Weapon Specialization.
Special
You can gain Greater Weapon Specialization multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.
A fighter may select Greater Weapon Specialization as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Zaydos
2010-07-30, 04:04 PM
Not sure. Making the Greater versions stack with the basic versions is a good start. My only real complaints are:
1) An extra attack every other round was a clunky mechanic in 2e and is clunkier still in 3.X.
2) An extra attack every round (or every other round) is less powerful in 3.X than 2e.

That said for a few feats it still seems good to me. 4 feats for +3 to hit, +6 damage and an extra attack/round sounds nice to me. Not sure if it keeps up with Ubercharger and the like. Still ought to close the gap with rage (which is +4 to hit and +6 damage at 20th).

I'd also clarify a bit on the extra attack

This extra attack is made at your highest base attack bonus and is a free action to perform.

Specifically could this be made during a round in which you charged, double moved, or took a move action and a standard action attack? It seems to indicate yes, but I just wanted to double check the intent.

jiriku
2010-07-30, 06:57 PM
Perhaps you could roll Weapon Focus and Weapon Spec together (fighter still would be the only one to get the bonus), double the bonuses, and have the hit bonus be an actual increase in base attack bonus for the fighter while using that weapon (not usable to qualify for other feats or prestige classes). The higher base attack would get you more attacks sooner.

Mongoose87
2010-07-30, 07:19 PM
Here's an idea: Weapon Specialization gets you an extra attack on full attacks. Greater Weapon Specialization gets you an extra attack on all attacks.

Zaydos
2010-07-30, 07:20 PM
Now that's a far less clunky way to do it :smallsmile:

Siosilvar
2010-07-30, 07:30 PM
That said for a few feats it still seems good to me. 4 feats for +3 to hit, +6 damage and an extra attack/round sounds nice to me. Not sure if it keeps up with Ubercharger and the like. Still ought to close the gap with rage (which is +4 to hit and +6 damage at 20th).

Any charger can take two feats (Power Attack and Shock Trooper) and do additional damage equal to twice his level. At least two more feats (Leap Attack and Spirited Charge) can boost that damage higher.

2x weapon damage + 12x level damage on a mounted charge is nothing to scoff at for a total cost of... 4 feats. And this is with any weapon; a lance will give you another [weapon + 6x level] damage.

Zaydos
2010-07-30, 07:37 PM
Okay you're right I should have phrased that better. I should have said: I'm not sure if it is good enough to be worth the 4 feats in general with the likes of uberchargers out there.