PDA

View Full Version : A metal slime draws near! Command?

Merk
2010-07-30, 01:17 PM
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3740/metaly06.png

Metalkin Creature

Metalkin oozes are the result of avaricious experimentation on ooze-type creatures. Made of a unique malleable, magical metal with incredible defensive properties, they lurk in the deepest dungeons, baiting hopeful adventurers with their intrinsic Gift of the Metalkin, a supernatural gift that arises from the death of such a creature. However, these creatures are both rare and timid, so most adventurers never see a metalkin ooze in their careers. Those that are lucky enough to encounter one and skilled enough to slay it are met with incredible rewards...

Creating a Metalkin Creature

"Metalkin" is an inherited template that can be added to any ooze.

A metalkin creature uses all the base creature’s statistics and abilities except as noted here. Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves, or skill points if its type changes.

Size and Type

Oozes with this template gain the [Metallic] subtype. Size is unchanged.

Hit Points

A metalkin creature has a number of hit points equal to its hit dice, and does not receive bonus hit points from a high consititution modifier (or a penalty).

Special Attacks

A metalkin creature retains all the special attacks of the base creature.

Spell-Like Abilities

A metalkin creature may cast Dimension Door as a spell-like ability at-will with a caster level equal to its hit dice.

Special Qualities

A metalkin creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following.

Improved evasion.
Deflection bonus to AC equal to its hit dice.
50% miss chance (extraordinary)
A bonus to all saving throws equal to 1 + 1 per 4 hit dice.
Metal Guard: All physical attacks made against a metalkin creature are reduced to 1d2 points of damage with no other modifiers; however, if the attack is a critical hit (assuming that the attacker has means to negate an ooze's innate immunity to critical hits), damage is instead dealt normally (and the critical hit multiplies damage as normal as well).
Immunity to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities, and all energy types.
Gift of the Metalkin: When slain, a metalkin creature releases a burst of supernatural power that empowers its killer. The killer immediately gains 1,000 experience points per hit die of the metalkin creature. The killer may choose to divide this boon amongst any number of allies, but it must be divided evenly (rounded down to the nearest integer). The killer may also choose to forgo gaining experience points (in which case none of his or her allies receive experience points either) and instead immediately make a very limited Wish that immediately imitates any spell with a maximum spell level equal to 1 + 1 per 4 hit dice of the slain metalkin.

If the base creature already has one or more of these special qualities, use the better value.

If a metalkin creature gains damage reduction, its natural weapons are treated as adamantine and magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Abilities

Increase from the base creature as follows: Str -2, Dex +4. Intelligence is at least 3.

Feats

A metalkin creature gains Improved Initiative as a bonus feat if the base creature does not already possess it.

Skills

A metalkin creature gains a +4 bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks and a +16 bonus to Escape Artist checks.

Challenge Rating

+4

Alignment

Usually neutral.

---

New Maneuver

Metal-shredding Slash
Iron Heart (Strike)
Level: Warblade 2
Initiation Action: Standard action
Range: Melee attack
Target: One creature

You make a sharp cut that can tear through metal. When you use Metal-shredding Slash against any creature with the [Metallic] subtype, you do not incur a miss chance on your attack. You also gain a +4 bonus on your attack roll.

---

New Equipment

Liquid Metal Shield

This +4 heavy shield is made from the alloyed remains of metalkin oozes. When physically held, it grants its wielder an additional +4 deflection bonus to AC, Spell Resistance 32, and Evasion (usable in any armor or weight load). The shield is otherwise physically similar to a mithral shield.

Strong abjuration; CL 19th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Iron Body; Price: 402,255 gp.

Temotei
2010-07-30, 01:22 PM
I hate metal slimes so much. I'd raise the damage reduction and make it /-, though. It might seem high, but it's not hard to bypass it if you hit the dang thing.

vasharanpaladin
2010-07-30, 01:46 PM
I LOVE IT. :smallamused:

Baron Corm
2010-07-30, 01:52 PM
The hit point nerf you gave them makes me think it should be -4 CR instead of +4 CR. The party fighter could take one of these out easily with a single swing of his mundane adamantine weapon.

One option is to make it so that any attack which successfully hits them can never deal more than a certain amount of damage, maybe 1-3. Another is to take out the hit point nerf. I don't see them being an interesting monster if you don't do one of these two things.

Merk
2010-07-30, 01:58 PM
The hit point nerf you gave them makes me think it should be -4 CR instead of +4 CR. The party fighter could take one of these out easily with a single swing of his mundane adamantine weapon.

One option is to make it so that any attack which successfully hits them can never deal more than a certain amount of damage, maybe 1-3. Another is to take out the hit point nerf. I don't see them being an interesting monster if you don't do one of these two things.

Good point. I've removed damage reduction, and instead added the "Metal Guard" ability.

Temotei
2010-07-30, 02:00 PM
I agree with the second suggestion from Baron. Setting a max damage limit on it to 3 would help.

I can see a great danger.

Where the great castle's towers loomed before you previously, now a throne takes their place, reaching nearly to the fifty-foot stone ceiling. Sitting in it is your greatest enemy in this quest--the one that has been organizing your demise. The METAL SLIME! *shows picture*
*blink* Really?
Yes.
Uhh...okay. *Players proceed to fail*

After session:
What was that thing?
A metal slime. It takes 1d2 damage at maximum and is immune to all energy and spells. 50% miss chance, bonus AC equal to HD, bonus to saving throws, improved evasion, dimension door at will, and Intelligence. Oh, and I added fast healing 1 just to spite you. Critical hits are basically the only thing that can kill it.
*Throws book at DM* No wonder you do that...

Yum. :smallamused:

Merk
2010-07-30, 02:53 PM
It's true. This kind of monster could cause a lot of avoidable frustration. Typically, if encountered, a metalkin would choose to flee rather than fight. So from the player's point of view, when they encounter it, either they kill it quickly, or it flees quickly via dimension door, and it's like "Oh well."

Also: Added Improved Initiative as bonus feat and "metal slash" maneuver that can help fight them at low levels.

Temotei
2010-07-30, 02:57 PM
I take it this means you're making more creatures with the [Metallic] subtype, correct?

Merk
2010-07-30, 03:03 PM
I might. The wording there with the [Metallic] subtype is really just in case I come up with anything else, but if I don't, then it could be replaced with "any metalkin creature".

Edit: Added in the (preposterously unbalanced) Liquid Metal Shield.