PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Dragoon

The Random NPC
2010-07-30, 02:11 PM
I'll be starting a 3.5 campaign soon, and I wanted to play some type of Dragoon. I found a good homebrew on this forum, but in case my DM says, "No homebrew", I was wondering how I could best fulfill my concept by RAW. I thought I would start with fighter, and take Leap attack and Leap of the Heavens, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Most books are allowed, except dragon mags, and setting specific materials need to be approved. We will be using a 28 point buy, but I think he's going to change his mind to 4d6 drop one. I would like it if the class didn't depend on magic, (by which I mean if he loses his magic spear, he can't make jump attacks, etc.) but it is okay if he has them to make him better.
Thank you in advance.

Caphi
2010-07-30, 02:12 PM
Tiger Claw warblade.

Prime32
2010-07-30, 02:16 PM
The term "Hood" has been popularised for these builds (largely by Endarire). The central feat is Battle Jump (http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Battle_Jump).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-30, 02:20 PM
Little Red Raiding Hood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood:_A_Tale_of_38;_Guide_to_th e_3.5_Dragoon?pg=2) for your convinience

hamishspence
2010-07-30, 02:30 PM
The term "Hood" has been popularised for these builds (largely by Endarire). The central feat is Battle Jump (http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Battle_Jump).

It says "Region- Taer" doesn't that mean it's a regional racial feat, so can only be taken by taers?

Prime32
2010-07-30, 02:42 PM
It says "Region- Taer" doesn't that mean it's a regional racial feat, so can only be taken by taers?Adapt based on the setting.

If one setting had all elves living in one part of the world, and a feat had the regional requirement "Elfland" with the fluff text "You have lived among the elves and learned their secrets", would you declare it impossible for characters in other settings to gain the benefit by living among elves just because there's no country with that name?

Heck, if the name of a region changes does that mean that its inhabitants lose their regional feats?

Inf3rn0
2010-07-30, 02:44 PM
You might want to look at the genius guide to dragon riders

Enguhl
2010-07-30, 02:44 PM
I actually just worked on a build similar to this. Have a ranger (for skills) and some levels of fighter for feats if you want, then go Dread Commando with full plate, take heavy armor optimization and you can run around with a lance/spear in full plate with no penalty to jump (assuming you can overcome the speed penalty).

Amphetryon
2010-07-30, 02:45 PM
Sandstorm has the Ashworm Dragoon, which is less powerful than the linked concept but more of a straight from the box option.

The Random NPC
2010-07-30, 02:55 PM
Between the Hood and the Warblade, I think I'll be able to make a very versatile Dragoon. Thanks to everyone to who helped.

ZiggZagg
2010-07-30, 03:01 PM
I guess I'm the only one that everytime I read a thread with the word "Dragoon" in it, I think of Legend of Dragoon from Playstation and them am disappointed at another jump build thread :-p

The Random NPC
2010-07-30, 03:06 PM
I guess I'm the only one that everytime I read a thread with the word "Dragoon" in it, I think of Legend of Dragoon from Playstation and them am disappointed at another jump build thread :-p

I would blame the Final Fantasy games.

Drothmal
2010-07-30, 03:14 PM

You are not alone, the same happens to me more often than I would like. That was a fantastic game!

ZiggZagg
2010-07-30, 03:16 PM
Indeed, it was one of the best Turn based RPG's I've ever played, especially in that PSOne generation of gaming. I enjoyed it every bit as much as the Final Fantasy games that were out at the same time