PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Giving sorc's Fvs spell progression

Marnath
2010-07-30, 03:04 PM
See above. If i gave the sorceror the favored soul spells known list, it would work out to 17 extra spells known at level 20, and i think maybe put spell levels known on par with a wiz right? Would this be too much? I know this has probably been asked a million times but i dont see a topic on this in recent pages. I'd be willing to take away their familiar if this would otherwise make sorc too clearly better.

unimaginable
2010-07-30, 05:04 PM
Way too much. Sorcs are already strong... their spellcasting is fine and doesn't need a boost

If you want to give them a boost anywhere, I'd raise their hitdice to d6 and their skills to 4 + Int.

Fax Celestis
2010-07-30, 05:07 PM
Depends on your players. If you don't have OMGHAX munchkins, people who like to field honest-to-god by-the-book batman wizards, and the King of Smack, then you might have a problem. Otherwise, it should be fine.

Marnath
2010-07-30, 10:07 PM
Yeah, i guess it would be powerful if, say, one of the people from the CharOp boards could build a spell list with that many, but i would think it wouldn't be as bad if a person wasn't a great optimizer :smallsmile:

Maybe i'll just try to adapt the Pathfinder bloodlines thing to 3.5e :smallamused:

Tyndmyr
2010-07-31, 12:35 AM
If you want to give them a boost anywhere, I'd raise their hitdice to d6 and their skills to 4 + Int.

I like the low hit die. Keeps con important, and casters are already SAD enough as it is.

Feats and skill points, imo. Sorcs are feat starved compared to wizards, and straight sorcs, well...nobody does straight sorc. No reason to.

CASTLEMIKE
2010-07-31, 12:48 AM
See above. If i gave the sorceror the favored soul spells known list, it would work out to 17 extra spells known at level 20, and i think maybe put spell levels known on par with a wiz right? Would this be too much?

No it wouldn't be to much especially below level 10 and at higher levels those are basically permanent fixed spell choices. WOTC bumped up all the full spontaneous casters in comparison to the base class sorcerer.

One fix is to let sorcerers spend a feat to get spell pool access like the Mage of the Arcane Order or The Guild Wizard of Waterdeep PRCs.

Ring of Theurgy is nice for Sorcerers at 20,000 GP.

Marnath
2010-07-31, 07:24 PM
I like the low hit die. Keeps con important, and casters are already SAD enough as it is.

Feats and skill points, imo. Sorcs are feat starved compared to wizards, and straight sorcs, well...nobody does straight sorc. No reason to.

Well yeah, i know. I'm tring to give them a reason to. Although i guess the number of spells known isn't the issue, eh? It's the lack of class features. What kind of bonus feats should i give them to diferentiate them from wizard's? Maybe a nice handful of metamagic feats as bonus feats or something? Instead of Rapid Metamagic being a feat, maybe turn it into a progression over 20 sorc levels, only applying to low level spells at first, with 9th's being the capstone?

PId6
2010-07-31, 07:54 PM
Things that should be fixed for sorcs:

No spell level delay compared to wizards.
No slower metamagic.
More skill points (4+Int should be the lowest for anyone).

Things that would be nice for sorcs to have:

Class features.
More spells known.
Swap a spell at every new level.
Slightly higher HD (d6) - Not really necessary, but would help differentiate them from wizards.

I'd take away the stupid nerfs that they have (spell level delay and slower metamagic), give them 2 more skill points per level, and add some higher level class features so that PrCs aren't auto-take. Giving them more spells known isn't really necessary, and can be a bit strong for experienced optimizers, but does help newer players so that you don't have to select your spells perfectly. Increasing spell swapping rate also helps with that. One thing you can do is make their higher level class features add spells known, much like PF's bloodlines. This would give a lot more incentives to singleclass, and make it better for newer players at the same time.