PDA

View Full Version : Phoelarch as playble race with +2 LA (PEACH)

Rannil
2010-07-30, 03:51 PM
Hello everyone.

I recently saw the Phoelarch, MM III page 121, and wanted to play it as race sometime. But the LA is a bit expensive so I was trimming it down. I am new to adjusting and I always tend to be off when judging power levels of homebrew. So I would love some comments from you guys, the experts.

My ideas was something in these lines:

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, these are the Phoelarch highest stats.
Size: Medium
A Phoelarch base land speed is 30 feet
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Fireblooded (Ex): +2 on save throws against poison and diseases. (Instead the normal 'Immunities (Ex)')
Healing Fire (Su): As the ability described in the MM III.
Heat (Ex): As the ability described in the MM III.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will - light 1/day scorching ray (DC 15); 1/day—produce flame. (Instead the normal spell like abilities)
Level adjustment +2

I was thinking maybe adding 'Death Throes (Su)' too, because it's fits the flavor and wouldn't be used on purpose, but it feels a bit deadly at earlier levels, especially with friendly fire.

I would rather avoid 'Rise From the Ashes (Su)' because it kinda sucky that if your party fails to rise you on time you are stuck being a phoela. I was thinking of replacing it with returning back to life after 24 hours, with a -1 level. But then the character is practically immortal.

I do like the healing fire ability, but I think it maybe overpowered. Maybe it should be replaced with Fire Resistance 10 or 25, but the ability feels kinda iconic to a phoenix heritage. Healing by fire that is.

Also while I got your attention would a Phoela (from page 122) be able as animal companion and if yes what level? Would 4 be balanced?

Thanks in advance.

Ponderthought
2010-07-30, 05:59 PM
Ive always liked the phoenix folk but it still seems abit powerful...hmmm..

Rannil
2010-07-31, 02:10 PM
Ive always liked the phoenix folk but it still seems abit powerful...hmmm..

Lemme guess, the Healing Fire. 100% Fire immune and getting healed from it, that's equal to level 6-8 spells.

Maybe 10 FR, and a special ability that gives a 5% chance that fire heals instead of damages (Still 1/3 of damage). You keep the iconic healing from fire, but it's rare and you can't trust on it.

Ponderthought
2010-07-31, 02:27 PM
Thats a good start. id maybe reset resurrection to a week or a month, so death has more impact. You never want to make death cheap..with a longer time frame, the character is out of the action for a while, and other pcs might actually think about raising him to get him back in the game sooner.

Edit: And maybe keep the obsidian egg thing. It'd make an interesting plot device if the pc's have to protect the egg containing their ally until he can finally resurrect.

Rannil
2010-07-31, 02:45 PM
Thats a good start. id maybe reset resurrection to a week or a month, so death has more impact. You never want to make death cheap..with a longer time frame, the character is out of the action for a while, and other pcs might actually think about raising him to get him back in the game sooner.

Edit: And maybe keep the obsidian egg thing. It'd make an interesting plot device if the pc's have to protect the egg containing their ally until he can finally resurrect.

A month would work, again it's more for the iconic ability then anything else. It shouldn't add power and shouldn't have (a lot) influence.

The egg does solve the problem of scattered ash. It's also an easier way for a permanenter dead, shatter the egg and the poor Phoelass is gone, unless he is ressed. It would prevent them becoming truly immortal.

Fearan
2010-07-31, 02:49 PM
Why do you need DC for the Scorching ray?

Rannil
2010-07-31, 03:01 PM
Why do you need DC for the Scorching ray?

That is a very good question.

I have no idea....

The MM III listed the DC and I blindly took it over. Non of the listed SLA have allow a save... I guess it's a minor mistake or I am missing something.