PDA

View Full Version : The Cave

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-30, 03:53 PM
Good movie, failed to be at all scary but was a good afternoon activity. Last Sunday I curled up on the couch with a bowl of microwave popcorn and some leftover east-Indian food and watched it, I quite enjoyed it.

Aroka
2010-07-31, 10:31 AM
It's pretty much a bad Hollywood rip-off of The Descent, a far better film made at the same time. (Also, some similarity to the later The Ruins, also a better film, if nowhere near as relentlessly hopeless as the book.)

Typically of Hollywood horror films, The Cave isn't actually horror, but startle action. Something startles you, and whatever little tension has been created is unwound by action every 5 minutes or so.

Mr. Scaly
2010-07-31, 04:47 PM
Hmm...was this the movie where a bunch of women mountaineers go spelunking and get attacked by what look like Gollums on steroids? That was pretty good in a goofy fun kind of way.

Aroka
2010-07-31, 08:54 PM
Hmm...was this the movie where a bunch of women mountaineers go spelunking and get attacked by what look like Gollums on steroids? That was pretty good in a goofy fun kind of way.

That's The Descent, not The Cave. And you've got some weird ideas about goofy (although I suppose the gore eventually involved makes it goofy for some people, but the desperation and tension worked well for me, and the mind**** ending was great).

The sequel was trash.

Mr. Scaly
2010-08-01, 10:29 PM
That's The Descent, not The Cave. And you've got some weird ideas about goofy (although I suppose the gore eventually involved makes it goofy for some people, but the desperation and tension worked well for me, and the mind**** ending was great).

The sequel was trash.

Well horror movies in general are pretty goofy to me. I suppose it's the idea of terrifying yourself for entertainment. The tension was really good though. By the time the Gollum creatures showed up it did get a little goofy for me though. Ending was great.

A sequel?! Good lord...

skywalker
2010-08-02, 12:24 PM
I thought this was going to be about Plato...

Sinfonian
2010-08-03, 04:05 PM
I thought this was going to be about Plato...

Indeed, this thread needs more allegory.