PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] King of the Mountain - Smashing Shackles.

Leewei
2010-07-30, 04:08 PM
Moradin has smiled upon you. There are but a hundred left alive after a tunnel collapse that should have killed you all. Slowly, in bits and pieces, it comes back, like dust sliding down a hillside.

Well over fifty years have passed since the goblin army crushed your clans and brought you into slavery, out of the sun. Once, there were many more of you. The green masters were not kind. Over the years, you have dwindled in number until fewer than a thousand of you remained. The dwarfwives that have survived the goblins' harsh treatment may yet live within the citadel of the domineering Underking. They are said to be held hostage, however you have not seen your sisters, wives and daughters in many years.

Choking on the dust and grit from the cave-in, you slowly realize that your captors are dead. Faint recollections of the time before your enslavement begin to glimmer in your minds like garnet sand. You remember who you are. You know that, for now, you must live. Later, you will show the greenskins what a mistake it is to put a dwarf in chains instead of a grave.

The passage before you appears as follows:

▓....▓
▓....▓▓
▓▓....▓
▓▓....▓
▓▓....▓
▓....▓▓
▓....▓
▓....▓
▓....▓
▓....▓
▓....▓
▓....▓
▓....▓
▓....▓
▓.%%.▓
▓%%%%▓
▓%%%%▓

Your fellow dwarves (95 of them) have backed away from the debris. Gathering your wits, you each grab one of the mining picks lying on the floor. These implements are badly balanced for combat. Consider them to be Military Picks with a -4 to attack rolls. The remaining picks are tentatively taken by your fellows.

And so it begins!

EDIT: Player sheets below.
Ulvgar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=228355) (Trodon)

Falgan Bolkak (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=228367) (Ipphli)

Lubdar Von Lubdarken (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=39971) (peterpaulrubens)

Orrack Bronzebeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=39974) (Doombringer)

Kelcov Glasstongue (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=228451) (Eurus)

Leewei
2010-07-30, 04:10 PM
Please indicate your position on the map and your actions. NPC Dwarves are milling about, staying 30' or so back from the rubble (indicated as "%"). Your brothers are listless. They are either in shock, or else not yet ready to believe their enslavement is over.

Trodon
2010-07-30, 05:49 PM
Ulvgar, seeing that there are only Dwarves left, reaches into his clothing and takes out some thieves tools, then tries to unlock his shackles.

[roll0]

Leewei
2010-07-30, 05:58 PM
The DC is 20, so that fails. Since you're in no immediate danger, you could simply take 10 to open them.

Trodon
2010-07-30, 06:01 PM
Okay, I take 10, then take 10 on at least the other player that want them off.

Eurus
2010-07-30, 06:05 PM
Kelcov was both older than many of his peers and also a Deep Dwarf, and as such even more traditional than most. He'd never in his life been to the surface world, and so even the darkest depths were like home to him.

After taking account of his surroundings, he approaches the first dwarf he sees that looks somewhat lucid and gestures to the other's shackles, then his own pick. "No sense in keeping these around any longer. I may not be as young as I used to be, but these don't look too tough."

Leewei
2010-07-30, 06:08 PM
The manacles have hardness 10 and 10 hp. It'd take a strong dwarf indeed to break them.

Ipphli
2010-07-30, 06:10 PM
Falgan shakes his head as the rubble settles. Picking himself up, he peers around to take in the aftermath of the collapse. Realizing none of their goblin 'masters' survived, he grins for the first time in a long time. Spotting one of his brethern taking off his shackles, he approaches the man, holding out his own shackles. "Greetings brother. Mind helping me with mine?"

Trodon
2010-07-30, 06:10 PM
"They don't, no use in keeping them, right?" Ulvgar says, unlocking Kelcov's shackles. Then unlocking Falgan's.

Ipphli
2010-07-30, 06:19 PM
Nodding his thanks as he rubs some feeling back into his wrists, Falgan glances around the passage. "Well, there won't be any going back that way," he says as he gestures at the collapse. "And most of the others are still reeling. We need to get away rom here. Find some water. What do you say lads?" He picks up a pick and rests it on his shoulder as he glances at the other two. "Names Falgan, by the way. Falgan Bolkak."

peterpaulrubens
2010-07-30, 06:23 PM
Lubdar

Bah somehow I managed to edit this post instead of replying at the end. Sorry about that. Epic fail on my Edit Post roll.

Leewei
2010-07-30, 11:50 PM
DM's use:11. [roll0]
12. [roll1]
13. [roll2]
14. [roll3]
15. [roll4]
16. [roll5]
21. [roll6]
22. [roll7]
23. [roll8]
24. [roll9]
25. [roll10]
26. [roll11]
31. [roll12]
32. [roll13]
33. [roll14]
34. [roll15]
35. [roll16]
36. [roll17]
41. [roll18]
42. [roll19]
43. [roll20]
44. [roll21]
45. [roll22]
46. [roll23]
51. [roll24]
52. [roll25]
53. [roll26]
54. [roll27]
55. [roll28]
56. [roll29]

Eurus
2010-07-30, 11:54 PM
Kelcov takes a crack at Lubdar's chain, but finds it too strong. "Moradin's beard... sorry. There's a man over there picking the locks, if you like."

Leewei
2010-07-30, 11:56 PM
Ulvgar, Lubdar and Kelcov:
Some - but not all - of the piles of rubble look dangerous, like they might cave in if dug in. You can't quite agree on which, but the nearer ones appear safer. PM me for specifics.

Ipphli
2010-07-31, 01:34 AM
Can we get an OOC thread to discuss things and what not?

Leewei
2010-07-31, 08:01 AM
Sure thing - here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162286).

peterpaulrubens
2010-07-31, 03:54 PM
"Thank you for your efforts, but I will leave these shackles on as a reminder. Perhaps I will find someone a bit brawnier that can break the chain.

My name is Lubdar.. Lubdar Von Lubdarken."

Ipphli
2010-07-31, 05:23 PM
Not gaining any response, Falgan shrugs and begins moving towards the far end of the passageway, away from the rubble.

Leewei
2010-07-31, 10:06 PM
Other dwarves will shuffle aside, making way for Falgan. They continue to mill around, looking blankly at the cave-in. While not making an undwarvenly fuss about it, it's clear their spirit is nearly broken.

Leewei
2010-07-31, 10:07 PM
Lubdar, the manacles will slow you. Please consider yourself entangled while wearing them. Good roleplaying, though. :smallsmile:

Trodon
2010-07-31, 11:31 PM
"Sorry Falgan, I guess I'm still a little shaken from the cave-in, I am Ulvgar, nice to meet you." Ulvgar shakes his head a little, trying to clear it.

peterpaulrubens
2010-07-31, 11:52 PM
"Ulvgar, nice to meet you. If you wouldn't mind....?" Lubdar holds out his shackled hands.

"I think we should dig in the rubble a bit. There might be survivors. Or weapons from the goblins. But let's be CAREFUL."

(Once his manacles are unlocked, Lubdar will dig in the two squares that jut out from the rest of the rubble pile.)

Ipphli
2010-08-01, 12:25 AM
Falgan will stop and nod to the other two. Glancing at the rubble, he'll scan the crowd of dwarves. "Which of you are engineers or veteran miners? We need to try and dig out any survivors there might be." He shouts this, trying to give focus to his brothers through action.

Doombringer
2010-08-01, 01:53 AM
Orrack looked to the others and arched a curious brow..the way was blocked off and there was a fellow picking the locks of slavery. He moved over quickly and said as politely as possible. "Please get these blasted things off me. Ulvgar I believe you are called I am Orrack I think we should take this as a sign that Moradin doesn't want us to be slaves anymore." He waited to be freed and then smiled. "What should we do?"

Leewei
2010-08-01, 08:31 AM
Falgan, make a Diplomacy roll to enlist the aid of your fellows.

Lubdar begins to move rubble aside. Which of the two will he start on? The East or the West side?

Ipphli
2010-08-01, 09:14 AM
Diplomacy [roll0]

Eurus
2010-08-01, 10:58 AM
Kelcov carefully points out four rubble piles; the northmost one in each column. "These four should be safe to move, but not any of the others."

Leewei
2010-08-01, 12:24 PM
Falgan fails to rouse his brethren out of their state of despair. They continue to shamble around nearby.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-01, 01:23 PM
Lubdar starts on the west one.

Leewei
2010-08-01, 05:55 PM
Without help, it takes roughly one hour to clear the pile. You uncover an unconscious and badly-injured dwarf. He needs immediate medical attention (i.e. a Heal skill check or else a healing spell of some sort).

Doombringer
2010-08-01, 09:05 PM
"You want to go back?" He looked to one removing the rubble and started to help throw stones. Orrack was confused but helped with the injured dwarves. "I wonder?" Orrack then looks around for different tunnels yeah he was thinking of getting out of this place while the getting was good.

Leewei
2010-08-01, 09:20 PM
Some of the NPC dwarves may yet be willing to help. A diplomacy check DC-10 is needed to convince them to follow you. Higher values mean more followers. A dwarf of a different subrace than the diplomat may use the Aid Another action to give a +2 to this action. A third dwarf from the remaining subrace may also use the Aid Another action. Circumstance modifiers might also apply as I see fit.

Ipphli
2010-08-01, 11:31 PM
Falgan will hurry over and attempt to aid the battered and injured dwarf.

Heal check [roll0]

Should the heal check fail, he'll cast Cure Minor Wounds (which should be enough to stabilize the dwarf)

Eurus
2010-08-02, 12:04 AM
"Blast. There might be others down there... Does anyone think they can rally the others? We could clear this out in minutes, working together."

Doombringer
2010-08-02, 02:35 AM
He looked to the others and growled before saying. "Those are our kindred down there under those rocks not some filthly son of a wh*** goblin.." He then muttered. "Give us a hand."

[roll0]

(Diplomacy check to get the NPC dwarves to help us dig the dead ones out from the rubble.)

Leewei
2010-08-02, 07:01 AM
Orrack's appeal, combined with Falgan's successful treatment of the fallen dwarf, snaps several of your fellows to their senses. They begin to help clear rubble, but are impeded by their manacles. With Lubdar's assistance, a pile of these begins to grow. After another ten minutes or so, another pile is cleared, revealing three dead manacled dwarves, two dead goblins, and the orc foreman who isn't dead at all. He yells out a curse and leaps to his feet, brandishing his club!

Initiative: [roll0]

Trodon
2010-08-02, 08:30 AM
[roll0] "That orc ain't dead, lets kill 'em lads."

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-02, 12:38 PM
Lubdar

Leewei
2010-08-02, 12:40 PM
Anyone beating the orc's initiative can act out of sequence. I'll resolve the actions when the orc acts.

Doombringer
2010-08-02, 12:55 PM
Orrack looked to the orc and seeing it brandish a club merely moved in getting annoyed and screamed. "Kill the slave driver..rip his head off!" He himself would move in trying to strike quickly.

Init:
[roll0]

With such speed he would look to the creature throwing himself into a frenzy and taking all his strength would throw his pick into the greature full force "Die you vile beast!"

Doombringer
2010-08-02, 01:00 PM
(sorry for double post but beat his initiative)

(Rolls with the Pick -4 added in)

To Hit:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Ipphli
2010-08-03, 08:15 AM
Falgan growls at the sight of the orc and says a quick prayer to Moradin before charging at the orc.

Initiative [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Leewei
2010-08-03, 02:50 PM
Rolling initiative for Kelcov so we can resolve the round:

Leewei
2010-08-03, 02:58 PM
Kelcov will back away and urge the NPC dwarves to back off.

Seeing Orrack's enthusiasm for the fight, the orc screams in rage and lashes out with his club.

Attack: [roll0], damage: [roll1]
If 20: [roll2], crit damage: [roll3]

Edit: That will hit due to the Rage AC penalty. At the same time, Orrack shrugs off the blow and is ready for more. The orcès sloppy swing misses Orrack by a gnome armpit hair.

Doombringer
2010-08-03, 04:18 PM
(Umm who is in rage..I don't think I am frenzy means swinging wildly for me I will let you know when I rage and in rage even with the pick I would get bonuses to hit)

:He looked to the creature before dropping the pick and just attempting to use his fist as they made better weapons than a pick swinging widly at the orc anger at his first miss coursingthrough his veins:

[roll0]
[roll1]

(Dice roller really hating me right now)

Leewei
2010-08-03, 04:32 PM
Fair enough. The orc's attack is deflected by your beard.

Edit: Double-checked your attack roll. You aren't including rage bonuses (which is correct, you aren't enraged). You also aren't including the racial +1 against orcs and goblilnoids.

Leewei
2010-08-03, 04:36 PM
The orc slavedriver counterattacks (AoO): [roll0], damage: [roll1]
If 20: [roll2], crit damage: [roll3]

Edit: Orrack gets his bell rung to the tune of 8hp.

Trodon
2010-08-03, 07:06 PM
Ulvgar grips his pick with both hands, then charges the orc.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-04, 12:12 PM
Lubdar

Lubdar attacks the orc, pummeling him with his fists.

Not sure if I'll be able to post later today, so when my turn rolls around, here's my action.

Flurry of Blows on the orc:
[roll0] to-hit, [roll1] damage
[roll2] to-hit, [roll3] damage

Leewei
2010-08-04, 12:39 PM
Lubdar knocks down and kills the orc with his fists. That's 125xp per PC. The orc was wearing a chainmail shirt and wielding a club. The shirt will need to be resized for a dwarf to wear it. This will take 8 hours from an armorsmith with the right tools. The club can be put to use immediately.

Doombringer
2010-08-05, 04:18 AM
"I could make good use of the club the armor however is unfortunately not built to fit me." Orrack said as he was not feeling very great thanks to the wounds he took."I would suggest we don't stay here much longer."

Ipphli
2010-08-05, 08:50 AM
Falgan rolled his eyes before gesturing down the tunnel. "That's what I tried to suggest before. We need to find some water and shelter. A small group should go while the others finish here."

Doombringer
2010-08-05, 11:59 AM
Orrack looked to the one and nodded "I will go..if others decide it wise.." :He then picked up the club if no one objected and said: "Much better..than that old pick." Orrack then smiled glad to have the option to be free of this place for a while.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-05, 01:08 PM
Lubdar

"I'm ready to go. There are undoubtedly more orcs that my fists would like to meet.

Let's let the others hang back. Those of us inclined to fight will check out the tunnel."

Leewei
2010-08-05, 02:29 PM
The tunnel stretches for miles away from the cave-in. A brief scouting forray determines that there is a slight downward grade to the tunnel and that the air is breathable. If you'd like, feel free to roll a Survival check for more. This skill is based on Wisdom and can be used untrained.

There are also two additional 5x5 squares of debris that you all pretty much agree can be moved without risk of cave-in. There may be an additional goblin or two, or perhaps a dwarf survivor or equipment if you choose to dig those out. With the full cooperation of the survivors with you, this will take an additional 5 minutes per square.

Doombringer
2010-08-06, 05:29 AM
Orrack looks around and then decides to see what the others think is the best decision as walking blindy with no protection was an easy way to be killed. Eyes watched the others as he sported a nasty bruise on his jaw now. He would look around for any equipment or items that might be of use in the debri..hoping to find a shield or something at least.

Actively searching for useful items in the debri:
[roll0]

(And yet again the forum dice roller hates me.)

Ipphli
2010-08-06, 05:56 AM
Falgan decides to help the others dig up the last of the debris, hoping they might find more survivors, and possibly some more equipment they could use.

Leewei
2010-08-06, 08:20 AM
Your brethren help remove debris, revealing part of the smashed rations cart, a dead goblin tinker with some artisan's tools, and (cue the triumphant chorus) a rusty old sledge (can be wielded as a 1d8 bludgeoning weapon at -4 to attack rolls). The rations cart has enough food for surviving dwarves to eat for one day. The water barrels and remaining rations are no doubt pulverized under the remaining cave-in.

Ipphli
2010-08-06, 08:47 AM
"Praise the All-Father!" cries Falgan as he sees the sledge. Picking it up, he hefts it experimentally. "A bit loose, but it'll serve I suppose..." he grumbles as he passes his pick to one of the other dwarves.

Sledge resting on one shoulder, the cleric looks towards the small band of 'go-getters' among the group. "We have food, but no water. Let get going and see if we can't find some further on."

Leewei
2010-08-06, 10:45 AM
Seeing that there isn't much choice except to move on at this point ...

Travel takes an hour or two. The tunnel has a slight decline. Eventually, a little water begins to trickle down the wall, forming a shallow stream on the side of the passage. Having been choked by dust from the cave-in, several dwarves begin to lick their lips and step up toward the water.

Not that it matters much at the moment -- I'll need to know what precautions and marching order are being used during travel. Are PCs in front, in back, or otherwise arranged?

Doombringer
2010-08-06, 11:02 AM
Orrack looked to the one with a sledge now and smiled. "Good nice to see we have a few reliable weapons now and some food." He then looked to the one with the sledge and nodded. "Well I suppose we should head off now." Orrack then moved over to the rest of the group waiting for them to depart.

Leewei
2010-08-07, 09:30 AM
Seeing that there isn't much choice except to move on at this point ...

Travel takes an hour or two. The tunnel has a slight decline. Eventually, a little water begins to trickle down the wall, forming a shallow stream on the side of the passage. Having been choked by dust from the cave-in, several dwarves begin to lick their lips and step up toward the water.

Not that it matters much at the moment -- I'll need to know what precautions and marching order are being used during travel. Are PCs in front, in back, or otherwise arranged?

Bumping and quoting. This was on the bottom of page 2 and easy to miss.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-07, 11:18 PM
Lubdar will be at the very front. Good Spot and Listen and all that.

Doombringer
2010-08-08, 09:04 AM
Orrack would move up front with Lubdar just not to leaving him alone incase something decided to attack them. He would keep a sharp eye out not wanting to disturb the other dwarf. Orrack knew it was just a matter of time before they ran into something be it good or bad was for Moradin to decide.

~OOC~
(Well this should be interesting to say the least...dwarves and water)

Ipphli
2010-08-08, 10:07 AM
Falgan stands just behind Orrack and Lubdar, keeping a close watch on their surroundings lest something try and ambush them.

Leewei
2010-08-08, 10:40 AM
The dwarf NPCs move up to the small stream of water. One of them runs up and greedily begins to drink it, then starts to retch. The rest back away in horror. You now have 95 NPCs. The need for water is getting fairly urgent among the remaining dwarves.

Trodon
2010-08-08, 01:26 PM
Ulvger walks behind Falgan, only about 15 ft though.

Leewei
2010-08-08, 09:56 PM
Okay, here's the marching order as I understand it:(Front)
OL
F.
U.
(Back)
The NPC dwarves take shifts bearing their dead (both the recently poisoned dwarf and those recovered from the cave-in). The squad is getting increasingly desperate for drink of some kind. The small trickle of tainted water runs alongside the tunnel, looking inviting, despite its known deadliness. Should you decide to do something during the hours of trekking, feel free to state on your next post. Otherwise:The stream gradually deepens, being fed by small springs in the cave wall. Unless the party has somehow found a means to drink, PCs will be fatigued (Fort DC-10, then 11, then 12 forestalls this; each failed save also inflicts 1hp subdual damage).

You see the stream widen out and deepen into a shallow pool, surrounded by strange-looking fungus.

Key:
~ Water
* Fungus
. Floor section
▓ Damp tunnel wall

▓~...▓
▓~...▓
▓*~..▓
▓~*..▓
▓~~**▓
▓~~~*▓
▓~~**▓

Ipphli
2010-08-09, 01:23 AM
Falgan frowns as he studies the pool. "After I pray for the All-Father's blessing in the morning, I will be able to determine if this pool is poison as well. Until then, if we can get some of that water into separate containers, I can purify it."

Leewei
2010-08-09, 07:57 AM
While you don't have a container, it would be possible to soak up some into your ragged clothing.

Werewhale
2010-08-09, 01:38 PM
Goti Firebrick

From among the milling, subdued dwarfs, a black-haired dwarf accidentally bangs his manacles together with a clear ping. Something stirs within him, and he strikes them together again. Without thinking, he hums a note, tuning it to the sound of his shackles, and suddenly remembers something: He used to be good at this. Slowly, like a waking giant, his tone becomes melody, then that melody is articulated as he breaks out into an old dwarfish marching song.

"The dwarves are a-come,
to make the rivers run red.
Rejoice, for we-e are here!
These halls be ours,
and a'neath our axes,
all our foes will fall.

Yo, ho, all together,
hold yer be-eards high.
Hey ho,
smiths and scholars,
ne-'er shall we fear.

Join me, everyone!" Goti shouts out to his gloomy kinsmen. They must know this song!

"We march 'till we bleed,
from dawn until dusk,
to face our foes in war.
These hands be ours,
and by their power,
all our foes will die.

Yo, ho, all together,
hold yer be-eards high.
Hey ho,
smiths and scholars,
ne-'er shall we fall."

RollsPerform(singing):[roll0]
Diplomacy/Charisma for getting the others to sing along(just to raise everyone's spirits): [roll1]

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-09, 03:08 PM
"Listen up lads. Maybe we can dig a small hole into the floor with the picks, then divert the stream to fill it. Once it's full, we unblock the stream to let the tainted water run elsewhere, and then Falgan uses his purify magic on the water in the hole, and we all have a drink. What say ye?"

Fort saves vs. Fatigue:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Edit: Bah. Lubdar is fatigued.

Leewei
2010-08-09, 04:01 PM
OOC: Awesome roleplaying there, Werewhale. Keep it up!

The hole idea will work fine, and will keep you all modest. Very dwarven thinking there. Purify food and drink will produce 8 gallons of drinkable water. That'd be enough to keep eight dwarves going for another 1-2 days. Splitting it evenly among the dwarves would buy you a few hours before needing to make saves again.

Anyone fatigued due to dehydration will need a gallon of water to remove this condition, and to recover the subdual damage. I'll handwave the matter of fatigue for now, since the water could have been purified before the end of the first hour. Keep in mind that if you don't find drinkable water, that's what you'll be faced with. :smallwink:

Edit: Also, a few dwarves try to hoarsely croak out the lyrics, if only to drown out Goti. :smalltongue:

Leewei
2010-08-10, 08:32 AM
Okay, no further posts, so for now dwarves are not fatigued.

90' ahead of you, you see the stream widen out and deepen into a shallow pool, surrounded by strange-looking fungus.

Map:Key:
~ Water
* Fungus
. Floor section
▓ Damp tunnel wall

--ABCDEF
01▓~...▓
02▓*~..▓
03▓~*..▓
04▓~~**▓
05▓~~~*▓
06▓~~**▓
07▓~...▓
08▓~...▓
09▓~...▓
10▓~...▓
11▓~...▓
12▓~...▓
13▓~...▓
14▓~...▓
15▓~...▓
16▓~...▓
17▓~...▓
18▓~...▓
19▓~...▓
20▓~...▓
21▓~LO.▓
22▓~F..▓
23▓~...▓
24▓~...▓
25▓~U..▓
(NPC dwarves trailing back here.)

DM Use:[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]34-1

OOC: PPR, check your PMs, please.

Doombringer
2010-08-10, 09:54 AM
Orrack hearing the song sings with the others and then looks at the fungus..asking Lubdar. " Have you any idea what that might be there?" Orrack would help where ever he could but for the most part he was trying to get rest. Dwarven eyes looked to the fungus and could not help but think it might be what was poisoning the water.

Doombringer
2010-08-10, 10:01 AM
(Sorry to double post but I want to Knowledge Nature that Fungus)

[roll0]

Sweet!! Finally a good roll for me!!

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-10, 10:39 AM
Lubdar stops suddenly, grabbing Orrack's shoulder and holding up a hand to halt those behind him."HOLD, Orrack! There's a giant centipede in the fungus up there. I reckon a bite from it may send a dwarf right up to Moradin's hall." Lubdar points to the location of the monstrous creature.

Leewei
2010-08-10, 11:01 AM
Noting the map, the only PC able to see the fungus is Lubdar (Deep Dwarf darkvision extends 90'). He is peering intently at it at the moment. He describes handsized feathery fronds extending from the base of mushrooms about the size your head. You'd need a closer look, but it sounds delicious.

Edit: Ninja!

The centipede does not appear to have noticed you for the time being, Lubdar.

Edit: @Orrack: The passage slopes downhill, so that particular patch of fungus isn't the problem.

Werewhale
2010-08-10, 06:30 PM
Goti Firebrick

Goti rubs his neck and clears his throat, his face reddening somewhat from his lackluster vocal performance. Must be the thirst. Yes, that's it! Looking around he finds only the gloomy, beaten-down dwarfs in his immediate vicinity, with the sharper leader-dwarfs up ahead. He quickly decides to abandon his current depressing company and move up to the front, just in time to hear Lubdar's report.

"Gentlemen. What's the plan, then? A trap? A bold charge? Maybe we have to answer a riddle to get past it? Does it have any pockets?" he asks them in quick succession.

OOC:Do I still have manacles on, by the way?

Rolls:Knowledge(history) check to see if I know about any history or stories about dwarves fighting centipedes(I'll be damned if I'm not going to try and use my one Knowledge skill whenever I think I can!): [roll0] (including +2 from Deep Lore)

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-10, 06:48 PM
Lubdar

Lubdar fires back, "No. Maybe. Do you speak centipede? No."

Leewei
2010-08-10, 07:12 PM
Goti:You recall a story of a mighty centipede swamp king, with eight eyes blazing with fire. Beware the Swamp King. Beware his many torch eyes!

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-10, 11:55 PM
Lubdar

"Well... any ideas on how to get by that thing?"

Werewhale
2010-08-11, 06:35 AM
Goti Firebrick

"Does it have eight blazing torch eyes? If it does, we're doomed! Otherwise, we could distract it with a great slab of red meat while we quietly slip past it. That one's always a classic!" Goti suggests, beaming at his own cunning.

Ipphli
2010-08-11, 09:30 AM
Falgan hefts his hammer and grins. "Slip past it? Why would we want to avoid dinner like that?"

Leewei
2010-08-11, 10:42 AM
It's pretty obvious by now that this will end up in a melee. Feel free to pre-roll your initiative. Rounds will start when players decide.

Edit:
@PPR: I've added coordinates to the map, above. The critter is in D06.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-11, 04:20 PM
Lubdar

"So lads... walk up to our dinner nice and slow and try not to scare it, or rush like orcs into a pike hedge?"

Werewhale
2010-08-11, 05:01 PM
Goti Firebrick

"So we bravely sneak up to the monster before cunningly charging it? I like your style."

Werewhale
2010-08-11, 05:03 PM
Goti Firebrick

((Goti, with his low Wisdom modifier, forgets to roll his Initiative: [roll0]))

Doombringer
2010-08-11, 05:59 PM
Orrack to Lubdar and took out his club his eyes glaring before yes he was ready to do some bashing. "Well I am not much for sneaking by anything...the fungus is not what is causing the problem to the water...obviously it is this thing." Orrack then gripped the club and waited:

Initiative:

[roll0]
7 + 2 = 9

(OOC Lubdar if you want me to fix up something just let me know)

Ipphli
2010-08-12, 08:57 AM
Falgan grins as he grips his hammer tightly. "Why sneak? Its already seen us. Lets kill it already. I'm hungry."

Initiative [roll0]

Trodon
2010-08-12, 09:53 AM
"Aye, lets get this done." Ulvgar says as he grips his pick.

[roll0]

Leewei
2010-08-12, 10:46 AM
To get things rolling, PCs will advance in marching order. Once they get within 60', the mindless centipede bursts out of hiding, along with two smaller members of its kind.

Initiative roll: [roll0]

Initiative Order:
Goti: 11
Lubdar: 10
Orrack: 9
Ulvgar: 6
Centipedes: 4
Falgan: 3

As before, feel free to declare your actions out of sequence if you beat the 'pedes.

Map:Key:
~ Water
* Fungus
. Floor section
C, c Centipedes (Medium or Small, respectively)
▓ Damp tunnel wall

--ABCDEF
01▓~...▓
02▓*~..▓
03▓~*..▓
04▓~~**▓
05▓~~~c▓
06▓~~Cc▓
07▓~...▓
08▓~...▓
09▓~...▓
10▓~...▓
11▓~...▓
12▓~...▓
13▓~...▓
14▓~...▓
15▓~...▓
16▓~...▓
17▓~...▓
18▓~LO.▓
19▓~F..▓
20▓~...▓
21▓~...▓
22▓~U..▓
23▓~...▓
24▓~...▓
25▓~...▓
(NPC dwarves trailing back here.)

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-12, 12:39 PM
Lubdar

"CHAAAARGE!" Lubdar rushes headlong at the enemy, dropping the legendary monk attack Ferocious Hammer-fisted Centipede Death Maul on the largest centipede.

Charge to D7 and attack the medium-sized centipede in D6.

[roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage. AC 12 until my next turn.

Also, we're missing Goti on the map.

Edit: DOH...

Doombringer
2010-08-12, 01:00 PM
Orrack looks to Lubdar and hearing the charge sounding moves in to attack the largest centipede as well...flying into a rage he hefts that club and tried to bring in down on the beast skull. "FOR MORADIN!!"

Rolls:

Raging before moving to E7 and whacking the medium centipede.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Leewei
2010-08-12, 01:34 PM
Lubdar's attack will actually hit the "flat-footed" centipede, assuming he gets a boost from Inspire Courage. Orrack swings true, pulping a convenient centipede's head with his club.

OOC: Goti can initially be anywhere at or below row 18. Fungus patches and water are considered "bad footing" and cost double movement points.

Orrack:Now that you can see the fungus, you recognize it as ladybeard. The fronds are a delicacy when prepared well with meat and spices, but still quite edible when raw. The stem is too tough to chew, but can be cooked when steamed through. The roots are inedible and possibly toxic -- they filter mineral poisons present in the muck where the fungus grows.

Ipphli
2010-08-13, 01:56 AM
Falgan follows after the others, swinging his hammer at the giant.

Melee [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Werewhale
2010-08-13, 07:25 AM
Goti Firebrick

(Goti will start out in D20)

"Well then, on to the breach, my friends!" Goti calls out, clears his throat and sings again.

"Say your prayers centipede
we're coming for you now
killing you 'till you drop.
We're the dwarfs, from afar,
now these halls be ours!
Now get out of our wa-a-ay!
Just get lost for I'm too
sober to make this rhyme!

Enter, Dwarf!
Exit, Life!
Take this pick
right in your chitinous thorax!"

ActionsStandard Action: Use bardic music to Inspire Courage (+1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls and +1 morale bonus to saving throws against fear and charm effects.
Move Action: Move towards the centipedes, should put me at E16 if I'm correct.

Leewei
2010-08-13, 08:35 AM
Lubdar and Orrack are able to charge the entire 60' due to their higher speed, and manage to smash two of the centipedes dead before they can react. The remaining PCs run to get into position. Falgar is unable to completely close as well, and will end up 40 feet forward. (OOC: Normally, I'd give Ulvgar a chance to act as well, but due to dwarvish speed and lack of a ranged attack, I'll just assume he moved up.)

The remaining dog-sized centipede advances and noms at Orrack's leg: [roll0], damage [roll1] plus poison (make a Fort save if it hits)
Confirm if 22: [roll2], crit damage [roll3]

Map:
Key:
~ Water
* Fungus
. Floor section
C, c Centipedes (Medium or Small, respectively)
▓ Damp tunnel wall

--ABCDEF
01▓~...▓
02▓*~..▓
03▓~*..▓
04▓~~**▓
05▓~~~*▓
06▓~~*c▓
07▓~LO.▓
08▓~...▓
09▓~...▓
10▓~...▓
11▓~F..▓
12▓~...▓
13▓~...▓
14▓~U..▓
15▓~...▓
16▓~..G▓
17▓~...▓
18▓~...▓

Orrack, make a Fort save, please. PCs other than Falgar may take their next round's actions.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-13, 12:50 PM
Lubdar

Lubdar attacks the remaining enemy with his fists of fury.

Flurry of blows:
[roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage
[roll2] to hit, [roll3] damage

Leewei
2010-08-13, 01:02 PM
That finishes off the remaining 'pede. Orrack will need to make two saves against poison (DC:10 - don't forget the +2 to your first roll from rage). PCs gain 125xp. The dead centipedes smell foul. It isn't certain if they'd be safe to eat. Feel free to make Survival (Wis) checks to determine more.

Werewhale
2010-08-13, 03:14 PM
Goti Firebrick

Goti arrives, pick held high, just as Lubdar kills the last centipede. After a moment of hesitation, he buries his pickaxe in the dead creature anyway and runs the back of his hand over his forehead.

"Phew! That was some fight, weren't it! Almost makes you forget the lingering desperation of our situation! Well done, all around!" he beams at the others, then adds, "I'm Goti, by the way. Goti Firebrick."

Doombringer
2010-08-13, 04:56 PM
Orrack took the bites and growled through the pain while the fight ranged on. he then looked to the others after words before sitting down and relaxing..He then looked to the bites and sighed hoping he was not poisoned. "Blasted creatures.."

Rolling for my saves:

[roll0]

Doombringer
2010-08-13, 04:58 PM
(And I need two saves did I get hit twice?)

[roll0]

(Also if we have a healer I could use a bit of healing got 2 hit points left.)

Leewei
2010-08-13, 05:06 PM
Doombringer:Yes, two saves. Most poisons have an initial save and a secondary save 1 minute later. You passed both with typical dwarven hardiness, so no worries.

Please make Wisdom or Survival checks, everyone. Edit: Also, look at your PMs regarding the results of the check.

Werewhale
2010-08-13, 05:21 PM
Goti Firebrick

RollWisdom Check: [roll0]

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-13, 08:31 PM
Lubdar

Wis check: [roll0]

Ipphli
2010-08-14, 02:04 AM
Wisdom check [roll0]

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-14, 11:57 AM
Lubdar

Lubdar chuckles a bit at Goti's "exertions". "Well met, Goti. I am Lubdar Von Lubdarken. That was good of you to make sure it was REALLY dead."

Lubdar spends a few minutes looking at the centipedes, the fungus, and the pools of water.

"Look here lads... see how the roots of the fungus look different? I'll bet the fungus has absorbed whatever toxin was in the water, and I'll bet that water pooled right by it is drinkable. And... " Lubdar takes a deep breath, steeling himself, "... I'll bet that I'm the one to risk it."

Lubdar mutters a quick prayer to Moradin and takes a drink from the water in the pool near the fungus.

Leewei
2010-08-14, 01:53 PM
Lubdar, make a fort save.

... nah, just kidding. The water is quite drinkable, as you suspected. You quickly follow the first handful with several more, and are refreshed after a few minutes' time.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-16, 01:06 PM
"ALRIGHT!! Drink up lads. Just keep it near the fungus roots, and don't disturb the silt on the bottom.

I think the fronds of the fungus will be edible, just stay away from the roots where the poison was filtered.

Falgan, do you think your magic could purify the centipede flesh well enough to eat? It looks sickly right now, but that might be a lot of food if we could get rid of the poison absorbed from the water.

Also.. anybody any good at making a waterskin from centipede hide?"

Leewei
2010-08-16, 01:27 PM
The escapees hesitate at first, but after the first few drink and eat without ill effect, a mob begins to gather. Eventually, all have had their drink. The fungus tastes fine, but doesn't quite sit well on an empty stomach. Even so, it leaves the dwarves with a day's ration of food.

The dwarves strike up camp (more accurately, they collapse on the floor of the tunnel). The next morning, they arise stiff and sore, but with fresh water and the prospect of continued freedom. The dwarves have nicknamed Lubdar "Arel Atal", or Water-Finder in celebration.

Injured PCs will heal 1hp. Falgan may choose to cast cure light wounds before resting up, if he'd like. What spells are prepared for the following day?

Edit: Orrack whacks the chains on Lubdar's manacles several times before finally shattering them soundly. A ragged cheer erupts from the nearby dwarves. Many from Lubdar's clan of Deep Dwarves line up for similar treatment. They proudly display their broken bonds.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-16, 01:29 PM
Can we assume that Orrack made me some armored bracelets while at camp?

Doombringer
2010-08-16, 09:45 PM
Orrack rested and was pretty beaten up.. and in need of more rest to be back up to his full vigor none the less he worked to break the bonds that wereholding the dwarves captive...and making things he could for the others. He then looked to the centipede hide and wondered:"Maybe let me have a shot at it."

[roll0]

Leewei
2010-08-16, 10:05 PM
The alien chitin of the centipedes defies Orrack's attempts to work it with the artisan's tools -- at least, for now. Some of the bladders from within the loathsome creatures might be sutured up to hold water, but the idea is more than a bit revolting.

Doombringer
2010-08-16, 11:19 PM
Rather annoyed by the hide he tosses it to the side and opens the creature up looking to the bladders..pulling them free and looking over the trying to discern what could be used and just how..no one else wanted to do the horrible job so he would do it himself. "Nasty creatures but alas usable if we can do this just right."

Roll using bladders:
[roll0]

(If nature it is 18 .. if not its 16)

Leewei
2010-08-16, 11:25 PM
(OOC: Each Craft attempt actually represents a day or a week of work.) The stomach of the largest centipede can probably be crafted into a waterskin given time, some stitches and a good boiling, but it will have to wait for the time being.

Werewhale
2010-08-17, 04:09 AM
Goti Firebrick

"Gentlemen! We should get moving again. We must find a place where we can really settle for a longer time." Goti suggests, shouldering his pick, "Onwards, further into the unknown."

Leewei
2010-08-17, 03:49 PM
DM fiat: Falgan will cast cure light wounds on Orrack for : [roll0] hit points. If need be, he'll throw a second one ([roll1]) and follow with a pair of cure minor wounds spells.

Falgan will prepare three purify food and drink spells for the next day, as well as his listed 1st level spells.

The dwarves set off the next morning, looking worriedly at the now-tramped fungus field. The water has been steadily growing more foul. The last few dwarves to slake their thirst have done so from the wall farthest from the pool. They disliked the taste, but have shown no ill effects.

Under Goti's urging, the dwarves st off again, heading further down the sloped path. After a handful of hours, the tunnel suddenly shows signs of mold and fungus growth around a large, shallow pool. Beyond the pool is an enormous cavern, with a ceiling stretching out of sight. Bioluminescent patches of worms on the ceiling are visible hundreds of feet in the air and over a mile distant. A shallow subterranean bog stretches out of sight. Despite the dankness, the sheer amount of life here astounds you.

OOC: Each PC needs to make a Spot and Survival check. Please tell me what precautions you take when navigating the swamp.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-17, 04:33 PM
Lubdar

Lubdar looks around carefully, poking the bog ahead of him with the haft of his pick.

Spot: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]

Lubdar will try hard not to step on things that look like they might be alive, will try to keep to dry land when avoiding water is possible, and when he has to walk through the water he will poke the ground ahead of him with the haft of his pick.

He'll also keep an eye out for anything that looks overtly edible or that could be use to carry water (gourds, sac-like membranes of fungus, any animals whose skin could be cured, etc.)

Werewhale
2010-08-17, 05:27 PM
Goti Firebrick

"O, towards gleaming halls we tread, like moths to a flame..." mumbles Goti as he looks at the cavern. He then hums melodically to himself as they trudge along. After a while he sees Lugdar using his pick to probe ahead of himself and Goti emulates him, since he seemed to know what he was doing. Goti, however, does not know what he is doing or what he should be looking for by poking the bog with his pick, but he continues to do so anyway.

His attention is focused more into the distance and upwards, searching the walls of the great cavern for any offshoots of a hypothetical cave network whenever he could tear himself away from marveling at the luminescent worms.

RollsSpot:[roll0]
Survival:[roll1]

Doombringer
2010-08-17, 07:22 PM
Orrack muttered and then simply shook his head feeling better once his wounds were healed. The task of crossing a bog was now upon them and he would mutter.. "just doesnt get any better does it?"

[roll0]
[roll1]

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-17, 11:36 PM
Lubdar

"Look sharp lads. We can't stop here, this is bat country." Lubdar points up at the sky to some very large carnivorous bats.

Doombringer
2010-08-17, 11:45 PM
"What about the water near the fungus?" Orrack looked to Lubdar and waited for an answer though he himself would not want to linger here longer than needed.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-17, 11:51 PM
Lubdar

"It should be safe. We'll have a drink but we're not stopping to try to figure out how to take it with us. We'll take the mushroom caps too, but we'll be eating those while we walk."

Werewhale
2010-08-18, 03:47 AM
Goti Firebrick

Goti trips into a pool of water while squinting at something in the distance. He thrashes and splutters as he gets to his feet. "Gentlemen, we may not be alone." He points off into the black distance, "Damn it! I'm sure I saw a pair of torches over there!" He scratches his head and mumbles, "Didn't I??"

Leewei
2010-08-18, 09:44 AM
The troop of dwarves tromp and splash through the swamp for several hours seeking an exit from the large cavern. Occasional exits are visible high on the side walls. Many have seeping water coating the wall below, making a slippery, treacherous climb. Gigantic bats can be seen entering and leaving these caves. The bats fly high overhead, out of sight of most dwarves, only visible by their silhouttes against the occasional glowing worm patch.

The dwarves are initially delighted by the readily available food and drink, but the presence of the bats begins to rattle them. As the march continues, the bats begin to swoop nearer and nearer to the ground, threatening to carry off dwarves. Increasingly desperate, you strike out across the cavern to a place where the luminescent worms reveals the ceiling is low to the ground. The bats, sensing your flight, shriek in anger at you as you near the area.

Finally, as the last of your brethren hustles towards the area, a bat the size of an elephant streaks down and pins a straggler to the floor. Before it can strike to snap up its hapless prey, however, the ground shakes as if struck by a giant club. A brief gout of fire is visible nearby, several feet off the ground; then another, then several more, eight in total. Someone cries out "Shamman Litast!" (Many Torches). A panicked route away from the cavern begins.

If you wish to fight, roll initiative, otherwise roll another Survival check.

Ipphli
2010-08-18, 10:20 AM
Falgan gasps at the size of the bat, and then at the fire and small earthquake that appear. While he doesn't want to run, he doesn't want to be left standing alone either, so he heads after the others, attempting to change the rout into a retreat. "By the All-father! Remembe who and what you are! You're dwarves, by Moradin's beard!"

Diplomacy [roll0]
Survival [roll1]

Werewhale
2010-08-18, 12:57 PM
Goti Firebrick

Goti lets out a squeak as he recognizes the torches, "It's the Swamp King! Beware his many torch eyes!" He then does his very best to be the first dwarf out of there, while improvising a song which consisted of the word run repeated in B-flat minor.

RollsSurvival:[roll0]
Also, another Knowledge(history) check for more information about the Swamp King, especially regarding the wisdom of running away from him: [roll1](add +2 if this is included in Deep Lore)

Leewei
2010-08-18, 01:16 PM
Goti flees blindly into a wall coated with mold. Much to everyone's surprise, he falls through it, into a small side passage that was completely obscured. Dwarves waste no time following him inside.

Meanwhile, the huge bat has turned around to face Shamman Litast. The ground rocks, nearly knocking dwarves prone, than the torches approach closer, revealing themselves to be flames erupting from eight saurian heads atop an enormous draconic body. The swamp king lunges at the bat, lifting it from the fallen dwarf, tearing it apart as it screams. The fallen dwarf stares up in horror, then lunges to join his fellows. As an afterthought, however, one more head lashes out, snatching him up like a snake catching a mouse.

PCs smell foulness and hear raucous squeaking in the new passage. No sooner are you safe from Shamman Litast than you are set upon by a swarm of blind albino cave rats! Roll initiative and indicate your position on this map(rows 01-04):--ABCDEF
01▓~▓▓
02▓.▓▓
03▓..▓
04▓.▓▓
05▓..▓▓
06▓▓..▓▓
07▓▓▓..▓
08▓▓rr.▓
09▓▓rr.▓

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-18, 01:19 PM
Lubdar

Lubdar runs with the other dwarves. He briefly thought of fighting, but is prudent enough to not try it alone.

Survival: [roll0]

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-18, 01:24 PM
Lubdar

Whoops, cross-posted with Leewei. Here's initiative: [roll0]

Lubdar will take B4.

Doombringer
2010-08-18, 02:57 PM
Orrack moved quickly with the others running falling and now...attacked by rats anyway. "Does it get any better at all?" He then stands and shifts so he can ready himself to fight.

Survival check:

[roll0]

(In C5)

Doombringer
2010-08-18, 02:59 PM
Sorry for double post

Initiative:
[roll0]

Leewei
2010-08-18, 03:01 PM
If you beat 11, feel free to act. The rats swarm is obviously hostile. It is marked by "r"s on the map.

Werewhale
2010-08-18, 03:35 PM
Goti Firebrick

"Yes it does! One moment..." Goti clears his throat and sings energetically.

"Take me down to Goldhammer city
Where the gold a-shines
And the girls are pretty
Take me home!

Take me down to Goldhammer city
Where the gold a-shines
And the girls are pretty
Oh, won't you please take me home! Ye-e-ah!"

RollsInitiative: [roll0]

(starting in C3, Inspire Courage pending initiative)

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-18, 05:38 PM
Lubdar

"Very nice song Axl Goti, now let's get to the stompin'!"

Lubdar hustles forward to smash a rat.

Move to D7 and attack the rat in C8 with Flurry of Blows:
[roll0] to-hit, [roll1] damage
[roll2] to-hit, [roll3] damage

Leewei
2010-08-18, 05:56 PM
Flurry of Blows requires a Full Attack. The first attack unfortunately misses.

Map:--ABCDEF
01▓~▓▓▓▓
02▓.▓▓▓▓
03▓.C▓▓▓
04▓.▓▓▓▓
05▓.O▓▓▓
06▓▓..▓▓
07▓▓▓LF▓
08▓▓rr.▓
09▓▓rr.▓

Ipphli
2010-08-18, 06:40 PM
Falgan just shakes his head as the rat swarm approaches. He wades into combat behind Lubdar, striking out with his sledge.

Initiative [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Doombringer
2010-08-21, 01:42 AM
Orrack moves forward and looks to the swarm seeing no way to get around his allies he simply waits:

Leewei
2010-08-21, 10:21 AM
OOC: You can move through allies. Since that was probably your intention, I'll place Orrack at E08 and roll a two-handed club attack.

[roll0], damage: [roll1]

Orrack connects, smashing a few rats.

The swarm of rats then moves into D07-E08, biting and scratching:
All affected PCs must make two Fortitude saves. The first is DC12. You must pass it to act, otherwise you will be nauseated for the round.

Falgan is bitten for [roll2] damage.
Lubdar is bitten for [roll3] damage.
Orrack is bitten for [roll4] damage.

Following this, Goti's song begins to inspire you, granting you all a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls. You may all act again.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-21, 11:18 AM
Lubdar

Lubdar tries to strike out at the swarm surrounding him.

Fort save 1: [roll0]
Fort save 2: [roll1]

Flurry of Blows:
[roll2] to hit, [roll3] damage.
[roll4] to hit, [roll5] damage.

Leewei
2010-08-21, 12:16 PM
OOC: Nice saves! With the bonus from Inspire Courage, Lubdar has an additional +1 to attack and damage rolls. The second strike will hit. Several more rats get hammered by Lubdar's attack. Nonetheless, the rats don't seem to be slowing down much. This type of swarm only takes 50% damage from melee attacks.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-21, 01:56 PM
OOC:

Are swarms subject to crits? I just realized that second roll was a nat 20.

If so: [roll0] to confirm, [roll1] damage.

Leewei
2010-08-21, 04:31 PM
OOC:Sorry PPR, they're immune:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#swarmSubtype

Traits
A swarm has no clear front or back and no discernable anatomy, so it is not subject to critical hits or flanking. A swarm made up of Tiny creatures takes half damage from slashing and piercing weapons. A swarm composed of Fine or Diminutive creatures is immune to all weapon damage. Reducing a swarm to 0 hit points or lower causes it to break up, though damage taken until that point does not degrade its ability to attack or resist attack. Swarms are never staggered or reduced to a dying state by damage. Also, they cannot be tripped, grappled, or bull rushed, and they cannot grapple an opponent.

The rats composing this swarm are Tiny creatures.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-21, 11:30 PM
OOC:Traits

A swarm has no clear front or back and no discernable anatomy, so it is not subject to critical hits or flanking. A swarm made up of Tiny creatures takes half damage from slashing and piercing weapons.
Cool. Does that mean my fists are doing full damage?

Doombringer
2010-08-22, 04:53 AM
Saves:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Bash bash stomp!! "AHHHH!!get umm offt me!!' Seems Orrack does not have much love for the little vermin.

Attack:
[roll2]
[roll3] 5 total to hit so a miss

OOC:
(Not worried about addding bonus since I missed and can't remember this late at night. Did it anyway cause I AM A GAMER!! lol)

Leewei
2010-08-22, 08:21 PM
OOC:Good point, PPR -- I'd missed that earlier. Your fists and Orrack's club do indeed hit for full damage. The swarm is still up and kicking, however.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-23, 02:23 PM
Lubdar

Lubdar continues fighting the swarm.

I think it's our turn again, so in the interest of expediency, here's my attacks:

Flurry of Blows:
[roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage
[roll2] to hit, [roll3] damage

Edit: Blech @ whiff-fest. :smallmad:

Leewei
2010-08-23, 03:06 PM
The round was being held up for Falgan's action. In the interest of keeping things moving, I'll use his turn as follows:
Fortitude saves:[roll0], [roll1]
If the first roll beats a 12, Falgan falls back to D06 and uses shield of faith to instead cast cure light wounds for [roll2] on Lubdar.

After this, the swarm shifts another 5' to re-engulf PCs:
Everyone damaged needs to make another pair of Fort saves.
Falgan takes [roll3] damage.
Lubdar takes [roll4] damage.
Orrack takes [roll5] damage.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-23, 03:43 PM
Lubdar

Fort save 1: [roll0]
Fort save 2: [roll1]

Doombringer
2010-08-23, 09:29 PM
Orrack start to get really pissed and starts stomping the bashing the darn rats again...severely wounded again..but never the less ready to end this fight.

OOC:
At 5 HP while raging.

Doombringer
2010-08-23, 09:33 PM
(sorry double post)

Saves:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Attack:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Leewei
2010-08-23, 09:42 PM
It isn't clear whether Orrack's enraged bellows or his furious smashing does it, but the remaining rats disengage and rapidly scatter. Congratulations! 250xp per PC.

Doombringer
2010-08-23, 10:13 PM
OOC:
(LMAO FIGURES) what does that put us at XP wise just curious?

Orrack looks to the others worn out and huffs "Darn piss ant vermin." He then sits down and tends his wounds.

peterpaulrubens
2010-08-23, 10:25 PM
OOC:
(LMAO FIGURES) what does that put us at XP wise just curious?500 XP by my count.

Leewei
2010-08-23, 11:24 PM
XP:orc: 125xp
'pedes: 125xp
rats: 250xp

The rats are filthy, slimy, diseased creatures. I'll need one save for Falgan once Ipphli gets caught up.

The next several days blur by as the escaped slaves stagger away from the fen of Shamman Litast. Repeated use of divine magic to purify seepage in the tunnels cannot keep up with the need for water of nearly a hundred dwarves. Exhausted and nearly delirious from dehydration, the band happens upon a large kidney-shaped cavern with a pool of water starting roughly 50' down from a stone shelf where the dwarves enter. Small shapes move below -- blind cave fish!

Navigating the edge of the cavern, Lubdar gasps in amazement. Shortly thereafter, the rest of you catch sight of what he saw -- an enormous natural pillar has snapped off and collapsed at an odd angle, nearly connecting the walkway with something out of the range of vision. The rock shelf, unfortunately, was knocked away where the pillar landed. A 5' jump over a terrifying abyss lands you on the 15' wide pillar. From here, a minute of downhill walking lands you on a roughly 80' in diameter island with the base of the broken pillar. Again, the dwarves stop in wonder. The base is shaped like the head of a smith's hammer. The column has cemented back to it over time, giving the appearance of a colossal hammer striking the floor.

Dwarves rush to drink the water, then awkwardly grasp and splash to catch the cave fish. After an hour or so, they settle. There is no immediately apparent exit from this cavern. It seems that for now, the best option is to settle in.

Achievement Unlocked (Founders):The dwarves responsible for founding Nil Abod ("Hammerfall") enjoy a special status among their kind. Each has command over 1 dwarf Expert from his clan, plus 4 Commoners per level of the PC. Furthermore, each PC is awarded 1000xp, -125xp for each dwarf that died, to a minimum of 250xp.

Edit: 2 dwarves died, that means 750xp for each of you.

Needless to say, there will be busy days ahead for the dwarves. This thread will shortly be defunct. Please feel free to post in the KotM - Hammerfall thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9210317#post9210317) to organize groups!

Ipphli
2010-08-25, 09:20 AM
Sorry for the delay. Work was hell. Fort save [roll0]

Leewei
2010-08-25, 09:55 AM
The rat bites will heal cleanly with no continuing bad effects. That'll wrap this thread up. The game continues in KotM: Hammerfall (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9210317#post9210317).