PDA

View Full Version : Kord Prestige Class, would like help.

ExtravagantEvil
2010-07-30, 04:27 PM
A humble greeting to all those whom meander the playground, I'm running a campaign that has a massive Divine influence, gods still on the earth, and a PC is a fighter who is basically, Kord's servant in waiting, even if it hasn't come up yet IC. So, said PC will soon take Cleric Levels, and we were talking and thought of a fun homebrew PrC to craft for the setting, Crusader of Kord. Basically, requiring Cleric/Fighter (not Paladin, no Paladin of Freedom either), and I could use assistance in the design of the PrC.
Ideas of mine:
1. Get bonus daily usage of Str Domain Power.
2. Features that focus on Kord's stand points, Improved Grapple as a bonus feat, so on.
and I don't know how to go from there.

ExtravagantEvil
2010-07-31, 12:34 PM
Wow, no one posted, shame, well, I have some better information that may encourage commentary

Kord's Chosen

Prereqs:
Spells: 2nd level Divine
BAB: +5
Special: Must worship Kord, be CG, must have access to Str Domain

Saves: Good Fort and Will, Bad Ref
BAB: Good
+1 Divine Caster Level (All levels)
1st: Kord's Blessing Divine Athlete,Improved Grapple
2nd: Kord's Strength, Kord's Blessing (change luck to +2)
3rd: Monk Unarmed Strikes
4th: Kord's Strength, Kord's Bravery
5th: Domain Access

Kord's Blessing: +2 Luck Bonus to hit (should it be X per day?)
Divine Athlete: +1 to Str, Dex, and Con based checks per Divine Athlete Level
Improved Grapple as a Bonus Feat

Kord's Strength: Gain a bonus usage per day of Str domain power, total of 3 at 4th level

Unarmed Strike: Gain an increase of damage in unarmed strikes as a Monk would

Kord's Bravery: +4 on saves v. Fear (should it be immunity?)

Domain Access: Gain access to another of Kord's Domains.

Machiavellian
2010-07-31, 01:07 PM
Wow, no one posted, shame, well, I have some better information that may encourage commentary

Kord's Chosen

Prereqs:
Spells: 2nd level Divine
Special: Must worship Kord, be CG, must have access to Str Domain

Saves: Good Fort and Will, Bad Ref
+1 Divine Caster Level (All levels)
1st: Kord's Blessing Divine Athlete,Improved Grapple
2nd: Kord's Strength, Kord's Blessing (change luck to +2)
3rd: Monk Unarmed Strikes
4th: Kord's Strength, Kord's Bravery
5th: Domain Access

Kord's Blessing: +2 Luck Bonus to hit (should it be X per day?)
Divine Athlete: +1 to Str, Dex, and Con based checks per Divine Athlete Level
Improved Grapple as a Bonus Feat

Kord's Strength: Gain a bonus usage per day of Str domain power, total of 3 at 4th level

Unarmed Strike: Gain an increase of damage in unarmed strikes as a Monk would

Kord's Bravery: +4 on saves v. Fear (should it be immunity?)

Domain Access: Gain access to another of Kord's Domains.

Let me adjust a couple things:

1. DROP the Unarmed Strike. It's nice, in theory, but isn't optimal. I say give it a "pseudo-increase" to weapon damage, say 1 size larger for weapon damage. This way, it's like you swing your sword/axe/whatever so hard it hits like it was a size bigger.

2. Fear immunity seems better. Since clerics and Palys are the primary audience, being immune to fear is a nice bonus to, say facing undead.

3. I say to actually make this class 6 levels long (too many 5's and 10's.) so you can add something Kord-y. Like move Domain acess one level to the 6th and give the Kord's Chosen something else cool, like a free enchantment on their weapon. Like make it "Weapon is treated as Soulbreaking [MIC]" or something that Kord would approve of

4. Give it a 5/6 casting (or 4/5). This way, the targeted audience would want to worship Kord for the spellcasting boost

Meirnon
2010-07-31, 01:37 PM
My suggestions on abilities:

Full Domains: the chosen gains all domains associated with Kord.
OR
Glory Domain: The chosen gets the Glory domain extra.

Deific weapon focus: a chosen gains weapon focus with greatswords, Kord's favored weapon. (maybe even specialization in a couple levels).

Crushing Power-Attack: The chosen, while using power attack adds his prestige level to the damage dealt (double when using two-hands).

EDIT: more advice- Focus the chosen on emulating the deity. Less on the wrestling.

Edit edit: More suggestions now that I think of it. Go the warpreist route and make the extra domain a 1st-level grant. Scrap the extra strength domain usage if you're making it a 4/5 casting. If its a 2/5 casting, however, keep it. No "weapon bigger with enchantments". The crushing can make up for that. Heck, even make crushing the capstone and make all power attacks deal 1.5x damage automatically. Your strength domain uses would work well as the before-capstone damage boosters.

ExtravagantEvil
2010-07-31, 02:06 PM
Hmm... Interesting, I like the weapon increase to it, and the reason I added the wrestling is because of the athletic competition note and also looked into the Kord after life, you get wasted and wrestle for all of time. Ok, and I like the 2/5 spell casting, and probably at 1st and 3rd levels, and I've noted that the full access to all Domains is very good, so they would have, the following from research: Strength, Luck, Chaos, Good, Competition (Complete Divine), and Glory(research still needed). Weapon focus is good, but I don't think it would be wise to be heavily focused on a sole weapon when he's about combat effectivenes in general. I like the crushing power attack option.
Please keep the ideas rolling, these are all very interesting:smallsmile:

Machiavellian
2010-07-31, 02:39 PM
Here's my suggestion:

Name: Chosen of Kord
HD: d10 (great for Clerics, and still nice for Paly)
Saves: Good, Bad, Good
Skill Points/lv: +4
Skills: Climb, Swim, Intimidate, Knowledge: Religion, Craft (Weapons and Armor), Preform (Athletics)

Prerequisites:
Casting: 2nd level Divine Spells
Special: Worship Kord, CG alignment

Casting: You gain +1 to divine casting 2nd, 4th, and 6th levels

1st level: Bonus Domain-Strength; Kord's Will; Divine Athlete
2nd Level: Kord's Might; Kord's Strength
3rd level: Kord's Bravery; Kord's Strength
4th Level: Bonus Domain-Competition; Improved Grapple
5th Level: Kord's Punishing Blow; Kord's Strength
6th Level: Kord's Blessing; Crushing Power Attack

Details:

Bonus Domains-At first level, a Chosen of Kord gains the Strength Domain as a bonus domain. Then, at 4th level, the Chosen of Kord gains the Competition domain. If you already have these domains, substitute an applicable domain

Kord's Will-A Chosen of Kord invokes the will of Kord with his mighty blows. A chosen of Kord can add a +2 Blessing bonus to his attack and damage rolls equal to his Chosen of Kord Levels plus his Constitution Modifier (if any)

Divine Athlete-A Chosen of Kord is in their peak physical condition. Treat any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution-based athletic check (such as leaping, lifting, and running) as X points higher where X is the Chosen of Kord's level in this Prestige Class

Kord's Might-As the Chosen of Kord emulates his god more, his very blows ring with the might of the God of Strength. Treat the weapon of a Chosen of Kord as having the Colliding enchantment on top of other enchantments

Kord's Bravery-The God of Strength and Competition asks of his Chosen to be a force of nature, and to show no fear in the face of even the greatest adversaries. A Chosen of Kord is now immune to Fear effects, such as a Dragon's Frightful Presence.

Kord's Strength-Now in tune with the meaning of Kord, the Chosen of Kord now can become mightier than a mortal man. The Chosen of Kord adds 1 additional use of the Strength Domain's daily power by one at 2nd, 3rd, and 5th

Improved Grapple-Since Kord favors close combat, so does his Chosen. The Chosen of Kord gains Improved Grapple, even if they do not meat the prerequisites. If the Chosen of Kord already has this feat, the chosen may choose another Fighter feat they qualify for.

Kord's Punishing Blow-Now more in tune with Kord's immense strength, his Chosen can swing their weapons with tremendous force. 3/day, a weapon attack from a Chosen of Kord deals double the Chosen's strength modifier

Kord's Blessing-The Chosen of Kord, now fully in tune with his god's will, gains might unseen before. The Chosen of Kord is now treated as an Outsider with the Native, Chaotic, and Good subtypes. Unlike normal Outsiders, the Chosen of Kord can be resurrected as if he were not an Outsider. Also, the Chosen of Kord gains +2 to all physical stats, since their bodies are now stronger than that of even a normal mortal.

Crushing Power Attack-The weapon of a Chosen of Kord is so devistating, that their strongest blows can cleave monsters in two. When executing a Power Attack, a Chosen of Kord can add his Chosen of Kord levels to the damage of his Power Attack. This bonus is doubled if the Power Attack is executed with two hands

Meirnon
2010-07-31, 03:06 PM
Here's my suggestion:

Name: Chosen of Kord
HD: d10 (great for Clerics, and still nice for Paly)
Saves: Good, Bad, Good
Skill Points/lv: +4
Skills: Climb, Swim, Intimidate, Knowledge: Religion, Craft (Weapons and Armor), Preform (Athletics)

Prerequisites:
Casting: 2nd level Divine Spells
Special: Worship Kord, CG alignment

Casting: You gain +1 to divine casting 1st, 3rd, and 6th levels

1st level: Bonus Domain-Strength; Kord's Will; Divine Athlete
2nd Level: Kord's Might
3rd level: Kord's Bravery; Kord's Strength
4th Level: Bonus Domain-Competition; Improved Grapple
5th Level: Kord's Punishing Blow
6th Level: Kord's Blessing; Crushing Power Attack

Details:

Bonus Domains-At first level, a Chosen of Kord gains the Strength Domain as a bonus domain. Then, at 4th level, the Chosen of Kord gains the Competition domain. If you already have these domains, substitute an applicable domain

Kord's Will-A Chosen of Kord invokes the will of Kord with his mighty blows. A chosen of Kord can add a +2 Blessing bonus to his attack and damage rolls equal to his Chosen of Kord Levels plus his Constitution Modifier (if any)

Divine Athlete-A Chosen of Kord is in their peak physical condition. Treat any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution-based athletic check (such as leaping, lifting, and running) as X points higher where X is the Chosen of Kord's level in this Prestige Class

Kord's Might-As the Chosen of Kord emulates his god more, his very blows ring with the might of the God of Strength. Treat the weapon of a Chosen of Kord as having the Colliding enchantment on top of other enchantments

Kord's Bravery-The God of Strength and Competition asks of his Chosen to be a force of nature, and to show no fear in the face of even the greatest adversaries. A Chosen of Kord is now immune to Fear effects, such as a Dragon's Frightful Presence.

Kord's Strength-Now in tune with the meaning of Kord, the Chosen of Kord now can become mightier than a mortal man. The Chosen of Kord adds 1 additional use of the Strength Domain's daily power equal to 1/2 their Strength Modifier (rounded down, minimum of 1)

Improved Grapple-Since Kord favors close combat, so does his Chosen. The Chosen of Kord gains Improved Grapple, even if they do not meat the prerequisites. If the Chosen of Kord already has this feat, the chosen may choose another Fighter feat they qualify for.

Kord's Punishing Blow-Now more in tune with Kord's immense strength, his Chosen can swing their weapons with tremendous force. 3/day, a weapon attack from a Chosen of Kord deals double the Chosen's strength modifier

Kord's Blessing-The Chosen of Kord, now fully in tune with his god's will, gains might unseen before. The Chosen of Kord is now treated as an Outsider with the Chaotic and Good subtypes. Unlike normal Outsiders, the Chosen of Kord can be resurrected as if he were not an Outsider. Also, the Chosen of Kord gains +2 to all physical stats, since their bodies are now stronger than that of even a normal mortal.

Crushing Power Attack-The weapon of a Chosen of Kord is so devistating, that their strongest blows can cleave monsters in two. When executing a Power Attack, a Chosen of Kord can add his Chosen of Kord levels to the damage of his Power Attack. This bonus is doubled if the Power Attack is executed with two hands

Very good build. I wouldn't relegate the bonus domain power uses to 1/2str mod, intead giving it an extra use @ 2nd, 3rd & 4th.

As for spellcasting, the casting class level should increase at 2, 4 & 6.

The outsider effect should have the native subtype as well, although I don't entirely agree with the cleric being an outsider at 9th-10th level.

Machiavellian
2010-07-31, 03:22 PM
Very good build. I wouldn't relegate the bonus domain power uses to 1/2str mod, intead giving it an extra use @ 2nd, 3rd & 4th.

As for spellcasting, the casting class level should increase at 2, 4 & 6.

The outsider effect should have the native subtype as well, although I don't entirely agree with the cleric being an outsider at 9th-10th level.

Well, consider that the class is 6 levels, and they already get some absolutely Fabulouso bonuses as is. A cleric already has 4+ domains by 9/10 with this class. Plus, for Paladin users, this is absolutely a nice treat, since no paly classes that I know of give paladins Outsider. Again, this is for Clerics of Kord, Favored Souls of Kord, Divine Crusaders of Kord, and Paladins of Freedom of Kord (lots of "ofs')

Corrections duely noted and edited.

ExtravagantEvil
2010-07-31, 04:13 PM
Ok, Machiavellian, that is worthy of a +1, though I do have 2 questions and a minor note:
Questions: How many times can one activate the Kord's Blessing you put in, it was not noted, or I didn't see it. What is the Colliding enchantment?
Complaint: I do not like the Outsider portion, I'm making this for a "New world" style campaign setting, as in, the world is only 300 years old at best, and gods still roam, and Tolkien-esque if you understand. So elevating our Cleric/Fighter to a truly Divine creature is not something I condone. Other than that, the Kord's blessing is good, I was planning on giving it a permanent score enhancement.

and small note: No one takes Favored Soul in my group, as a matter of preference, and I am also disallowing the Paladin of Freedom/Slaughter/etc./etc. but let us not spark an argument.

Machiavellian
2010-07-31, 04:29 PM
Ok, Machiavellian, that is worthy of a +1, though I do have 2 questions and a minor note:
Questions: How many times can one activate the Kord's Blessing you put in, it was not noted, or I didn't see it. What is the Colliding enchantment?
Complaint: I do not like the Outsider portion, I'm making this for a "New world" style campaign setting, as in, the world is only 300 years old at best, and gods still roam, and Tolkien-esque if you understand. So elevating our Cleric/Fighter to a truly Divine creature is not something I condone. Other than that, the Kord's blessing is good, I was planning on giving it a permanent score enhancement.

and small note: No one takes Favored Soul in my group, as a matter of preference, and I am also disallowing the Paladin of Freedom/Slaughter/etc./etc. but let us not spark an argument.

To answer your questions and concerns:

1. The Blessing is a permanent bonus, not an activation. It grants a permanent stat bonus to Str, Dex, and Con one time. It represents reaching the physical peak

2. It's in XPH (don't quote me) and MIC. Basically, it does the same as Flaming or Shocking, but it's Force Damage

3. They are Native Outsiders, not divine entities. What it signifies is that their mortal bodies are now something greater. Not quite deities, but not quite mortals either. If you want, for your campaign, scrap the Outsider stuff.

4. I was just using them as examples for if this PrC is used outside of your campaign, like let's say somebody is playing a Paladin of Freedom and worships Kord. This would be ideal. Not saying you should turn it down because I designed it for a larger audience. It's more of a guideline.

Meirnon
2010-07-31, 04:33 PM
To answer your questions and concerns:

1. The Blessing is a permanent bonus, not an activation. It grants a permanent stat bonus to Str, Dex, and Con one time. It represents reaching the physical peak

2. It's in XPH (don't quote me) and MIC. Basically, it does the same as Flaming or Shocking, but it's Force Damage

3. They are Native Outsiders, not divine entities. What it signifies is that their mortal bodies are now something greater. Not quite deities, but not quite mortals either. If you want, for your campaign, scrap the Outsider stuff.

4. I was just using them as examples for if this PrC is used outside of your campaign, like let's say somebody is playing a Paladin of Freedom and worships Kord. This would be ideal. Not saying you should turn it down because I designed it for a larger audience. It's more of a guideline.

Last I checked we were helping him on a campaign-specific class. ;P

I think that whatever he chooses is cool. We're just here to peach.

ExtravagantEvil
2010-07-31, 05:11 PM
Quite right, and let us not devolve into an argumentative state, all is going well and let us not disrupt it with arguments over such insignificant details. Moving on then, next object of back and forth discussion
Skills: I personally think we should add some more skills to the list, even if skill points are only 4+Int per level. Mainly as follows, Concentration, All Athletics skills (Jump, Tumble, Balance, and other such skills). What other skills do you guys think should be there (if any)?

Meirnon
2010-07-31, 05:13 PM
Quite right, and let us not devolve into an argumentative state, all is going well and let us not disrupt it with arguments over such insignificant details. Moving on then, next object of back and forth discussion
Skills: I personally think we should add some more skills to the list, even if skill points are only 4+Int per level. Mainly as follows, Concentration, All Athletics skills (Jump, Tumble, Balance, and other such skills). What other skills do you guys think should be there (if any)?

Knowledge Religion, Knowledge The Planes, and reduce it to 2 or 3 skill points?

ExtravagantEvil
2010-07-31, 06:18 PM
Know the planes seems like a bit of a stretch, and, I have an idea, I can craft an example PC using the Elite array to see if we can get a wanted affect when it comes to skills and other details. I petition 4 because it allows access to further athleticism and skill. I can upload an example later this evening/night